The Potomac River is calm and narrow here, making it an ideal location for a ferry crossing. In 1791 Edwards Ferry began to operate here, connecting Maryland farmers to the Goose Creek Canal in Virginia and to the Leesburg markets. The ferry closed . . . — — Map (db m78350) HM
In the mid-nineteenth century, Lockhouse 25 and the surrounding community of Edwards Ferry, Maryland, reaped the advantages of their locations. With the nearby river lock, the area served as the bustling entry point to the C&O Canal for agricultural . . . — — Map (db m78348) HM
A major crossing of the Potomac River guarded by Union troops throughout the Civil War. In Oct. 1861 a Union unit crossed during the Battle of Ball’s Bluff, but did not participate.
From Dec. 1861 to March 1862 the base of balloon operations . . . — — Map (db m1136) HM
Gen. Joseph Hooker’s 75,000-man, seven-corps Army of the Potomac crossed the Potomac River here, June 25-27, 1863, on the way to Gettysburg. The army crossed on two 1,400-foot-long pontoon bridges. Heavy rains during those three days made the single . . . — — Map (db m33741) HM
Located on the doorstep of the Confederacy and possessing, what was then, a sizable population, the Town of Poolesville was a strategic military crossroads during the Civil War. Union Soldiers were encamped in Poolesville throughout the Civil War, . . . — — Map (db m2113) HM
Located at the intersection of the two main roads, mid-19th century Poolesville was Montgomery County’s second-largest town. Its residents had decidedly secessionist tendencies and many sons fighting for the South. In the fall of 1862, as the . . . — — Map (db m1729) HM
During the Civil War, more soldiers passed through Poolesville than any other Montgomery County town. Union forces occupied this bustling village throughout most of the war, protecting the strategic road network, lines of communication and supplies. . . . — — Map (db m1730) HM
Ad Gloriam Dei St. Peter's ChurchFounded as Monocacy Chapel, a Chapel of Ease. Upon a site two and one half miles North of this point about 1737. The First Church West of the Great Seneca Creek in the Province of Maryland. This Structure was . . . — — Map (db m33825) HM
Famed commander, Lt. Col. E.V. (“Lige”) White, of the 35th BN Va. Cavalry C.S.A., and many members of his command were natives of this area. This town became the headquarters of Union Brig. Gen. Charles P. Stone’s 12,000-man corps of . . . — — Map (db m2112) HM
The Historic St. Paul Community Church is the heart of the Sugarland Forest Community established by freed slaves after emancipation. Patriarchs William Taylor, Patrick Hebron, Jr. and John H. Diggs, as trustees purchased this parcel of land from . . . — — Map (db m66469) HM
A Poolseville landmark, the Old Bank was built in 1910. Its architectural style is referred to as “vaguely classical” and was typical of many of the town's structures. Most of the historic downtown was destroyed by fire in 1923.
The . . . — — Map (db m106997) HM
Poolesville is a town of unique charm, a special place strategically located at a crossroads in western Montgomery County, not only one of geography but also where the past intersects the present, agriculture connects with commerce, and rural beauty . . . — — Map (db m131597) HM