Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Port Gibson, Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Battle of Port Gibson Marker image, Touch for more information
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
Battle of Port Gibson Marker
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Battle of Port Gibson
On May 1, 1863, Confederate forces under Brig. Gen. John Bowen clashed with elements of two Union corps commanded by Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant. The battle began around midnight near the Shaifer House four miles west of town. At dawn, the Federals . . . — Map (db m35542) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Bayou Pierre Mounds — Mississippi Mound Trail
Of the three original mounds overlooking Bayou Pierre, only one remains. A pyramidal platform, Mound A is currently 16 feet tall. Excavations indicate that Native Americans built the mound in multiple stages during the Coles Creek Period, from AD . . . — Map (db m103785) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Bayou Pierre Presbyterian Church
Following the arrival of Presbyterian missionaries in 1801, Joseph Bullen and James Smylie organized the Bayou Pierre Church at this site in 1807. After part of the congregation formed the Bethel Church southwest of here in 1824, the remaining . . . — Map (db m70394) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg: 1863. — Battle of Port Gibson, Mississippi, May 1.
The Union Army under command of Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant was composed of the 13th Corps and Logan's Division of the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Brig. Gen. John S. Bowen, was composed of Tracy's, Cockrell's, Green's, and Baldwin's . . . — Map (db m104412) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne County
Established on January 27, 1802, by first General Assembly. Claiborne County was the fourth county organized in the Mississippi Territory. Carved from Jefferson County (formerly Pickering County), of the Old Natchez District, the county was named . . . — Map (db m103802) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne County Courthouse — Port Gibson Historic Tour
. . . — Map (db m104339) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Englesing Home — Port Gibson Historic Tour
702 Church. Ca. 1817 Federal. The birthplace of Constance Cary who was one of the young ladies involved in making the first Confederate battleflag. The small formal garden is the only one of its type remaining in Port Gibson. — Map (db m104374) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 5 — Fight for Hankinson's Ferry
As Logan's division marched west toward Grand Gulf on May 3, 1863, M. M. Crocker's division moved toward Hankinson's Ferry. At Kennison Creek, one mile north, the road was blocked by two Confederate brigades. After a spirited skirmish, the . . . — Map (db m103822) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Baptist M.B. Church
Founded in 1867 by freedmen. Moved to this site ca. 1896. Played a vital role in the Civil Rights Movement in Port Gibson. Beginning in 1965, the NAACP held meetings here to promote boycotts of local white merchants, who subsequently filed suit. In . . . — Map (db m103805) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Presbyterian Church
Second oldest Presbyterian Church in Old Southwest. Org. April, 1807, as Bayou Pierre Church. Moved to Port Gibson 1827. Zebulon Butler first resident pastor, 1827-60. Present structure built 1859. — Map (db m103807) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Presbyterian Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
609 Church. 1859-60 Romanesque Revival. This church with the hand pointing to heaven is the most famous building in Claiborne County. The original hand of gilded wood was carved by young Daniel Foley. — Map (db m104345) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Gage House — Port Gibson Historic Tour
602 Church. Ca. 1830-50 Federal/Greek Revival. One of the two remaining examples of this architectural style in Claiborne County. Double galleries have modified Tuscan colonnettes. The brick dependency possibly predated the home. — Map (db m104368) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 4 — Grant at Hankinson's Ferry
After occupying Willow Springs on May 5. 1863,. Gen. U. S. Grant divided his force. The XVII Corps advanced on Hankinson s Ferry 5 miles north of here in two columns. Gen. M. M. Crocker's division driving up this road encountered a Confederate . . . — Map (db m103849) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Grindstone Ford
This ford marked the beginning of the wilderness of the Choctaw nation and the end of the old Natchez District. Nearby Fort Deposit was a supply depot for troops clearing the Trace in 1801-02, and troops were assembled here during the Burr . . . — Map (db m61981) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Guthrie Home — Port Gibson Historic Tour
703 Church. Ca. 1840 Greek Revival/Italianate. Italianate long windows and protruding bay windows are typical of many houses built just before the Civil War. The interesting and unusual etched glass panel in the front door depicts a pelican. — Map (db m104344) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Lightfoot Park — Horace L. Lightfoot (1927-1976) — Tradesman • Businessman • Public Servant
• Claiborne County native educated in local schools and Alcorn A & M College • First black citizen elected to the Claiborne County Board of Education - 1969 to 1974 • Operated a successful business on this site • Owned an . . . — Map (db m104424) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Mangum Mound
Excavation of this site tells us much about the people of the late prehistoric periods. The Plaquemine culture included the ancestors of the modern tribes of Mississippi and Louisiana. It was a society with elaborate agriculturally oriented . . . — Map (db m87325) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Methodist Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
901 Church. 1858-60 Romanesque Revival. The original building was constructed in 1826, but was destroyed by fire in 1858. The new church built on the same site, was dedicated July 8, 1860. — Map (db m104399) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Owens Creek
The sounds of a busy woodland stream and the quiet murmur of a lazy waterfall have long been stilled here. Only after a heavy rainfall does water fill the stream and set the waterfall singing.      Over the years the water table has dropped . . . — Map (db m87327)
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Port Gibson
Incorporated in 1811, Port Gibson was first settled by Samuel Gibson, who acquired property along Bayou Pierre from the Spanish in 1788. First known as Gibson's Landing. Port Gibson, selected as the Claiborne County seat in 1803, had the state's . . . — Map (db m103803) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 21 — Rabbit Foot Minstrels
[front:] Rabbit Foot Minstrels. During the first half of the 20th century, the African American Rabbit Foot Minstrels entertainers played a major role in spreading the blues via tours across the South. Founded in 1900, the . . . — Map (db m35545) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Shreve House — Port Gibson Historic Tour
701 Church. Ca. 1825 Federal. The original floor plan consisted of four rooms, no center hall, front and back galleries. The designer and builder was Horatio Nelson Spencer, a prominent local attorney. — Map (db m104354) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Site of the Hermitage
W. 2 mi. Built about 1800 by George W. Humphreys, Birthplace of Benjamin Grubb Humphreys (1808-82). Brigadier General, C.S.A. Governor of Mississippi from 1865 to 1868. — Map (db m103800) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 4 — Skirmish at Willow Springs
When Union Gen. J. B. McPherson's XVII Corps reached Grindstone Ford, 2 miles south of here at dusk on May 2, 1863, the troops found the bridge across Big Bayou Pierre burning. Col. J. H. Wilson and a detachment put out the fire. During the night . . . — Map (db m103855) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — St. James Episcopal Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
808 Church. 1884-85. Ca. 1897 High Victorian Gothic. The architect was W.P. Wentworth from Boston. The entire structure reflects contemporary architectural developments in Massachusetts rather than in Mississippi. — Map (db m104400) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Sunken Trace
Preserved here is a portion of the deeply eroded or “sunken” Old Trace. Hardships of journeying on the Old Trace included heat, mosquitoes, poor food, hard beds (if any), disease, swollen rivers, and sucking swamps.      Take 5 minutes . . . — Map (db m87313) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Temple Gemiluth Chassed — Port Gibson Historic Tour
706 Church. 1891-92 Victorian Moro-Byzantine Revival. The architects of Temple Gemiluth Chassed, which means gift of the righteous, combined Moorish, Byzantine and Romanesque styles to produce a building unique in Mississippi. — Map (db m104343) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — The Federals Occupy Port Gibson
About dark on May 1, 1863, Gen. W. E. Baldwin's Confederates retreated through Port Gibson. After crossing the suspension bridge over Little Bayou Pierre, the Confederates set it afire. On the morning of the 2d. the Union army entered the beautiful . . . — Map (db m103808) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — The Port Gibson Boycott
On April 1, 1966, the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) imposed an economic boycott on the majority of the white-owned businesses in Port Gibson/Claiborne County. In the months leading up to the . . . — Map (db m104340) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Windsor Mounds — Mississippi Mound Trail
Windsor Mounds includes four rectangular platform mounds overlooking Bayou Pierre. Mound A, visible from the road, is the largest at over 30 feet, and has a ramp extending toward the east. Mounds B, C, and D range in height from 3 to 16 feet. The . . . — Map (db m103783) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Windsor Ruins
Smith Coffee Daniell II, a successful cotton planter, completed construction of Windsor in 1861. Daniell owned 21,000 acres of plantation land in Louisiana and Mississippi. Ironically, he died in April 1861, only weeks after completing his mansion. . . . — Map (db m70541) HM

31 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.