Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Port Wentworth, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Atlantic Coastal Highway Through Georgia Marker </b>full stone view image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, 2007
Atlantic Coastal Highway Through Georgia Marker full stone view
Georgia (Chatham County), Port Wentworth — Atlantic Coastal Highway Through Georgia
From South Carolina line to Florida line distance of 136 miles. Traversing Chatham, Bryan, Liberty, McIntosh, Glynn and Camden Counties. First work done in 1735 when the road from Savannah to Darien, probably the first road in Georgia, was . . . — Map (db m15150) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Port Wentworth — 025-79 — Battle Between Confederate Gunboats and Union Field Artillery (December 12, 1864)
In December, 1864, was fought on the Savannah River near here one of the few battles in which Confederate gunboats and Union field artillery were engaged against each other. Colerain Plantation, as these lands were then known, had been occupied on . . . — Map (db m12615) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Port Wentworth — Historic Ship Anchor (Admiralty Style) *1800-1865* —
Recovered from the Savannah River on February 27, 1994 during Georgia Department of Transportation construction work for the U.S. 17 Alt./ Talmadge Bridge in Savannah, Georgia, this 1200 pound anchor would have been used on large ocean going or . . . — Map (db m46582) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Port Wentworth — 25-28 — Houston Baptist
Houston Baptist Church and its adjoining cemetery were organized in 1886 under the leadership of Reverend Ulysses L. Houston, minister of First Bryan Baptist Church in Savannah. A significant religious and political leader in the African-American . . . — Map (db m7962) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Port Wentworth — 025-78 — Indian Trading Post: Home of Mary Musgrove
During the first years after the founding of the Colony of Georgia in 1733 these lands (now owned by the Savannah Sugar Refining Company) were known as the "Grange" or "Cowpen" plantation. Along the Savannah River, about one mile East of this . . . — Map (db m12556) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Port Wentworth — 25-39 — Richmond Baptist Church
Richmond Baptist Church and its adjoining cemetery were organized on March 14, 1897 under the leadership of Rev. E.K. Love, third pastor of First African Baptist Church in Savannah. Rev. Love was a significant missionary and religious leader in the . . . — Map (db m53372) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement