Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Redding, Connecticut Historical Markers

 
“Putnam’s Escape from Horseneck” Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, November 2, 2013
“Putnam’s Escape from Horseneck” Marker
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 3 — “Putnam’s Escape from Horseneck”
This bronze statue was sculpted by renowned local artist Anna Hyatt Huntington. She was 94 when she completed the statue for its 1969 dedication. The bronze depicts General Israel Putnam’s legendary ride down the stone steps in Greenwich (then . . . — Map (db m69914) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 12 — Bake Oven and Upper Level Structures — Putnam Memorial State Park —
With the exception of the Bake Oven, which produced bread for camp, the identity and locations of numerous other buildings on the upper level is uncertain. We know that the Bake Oven was located in this ravine. It needed water from the stream . . . — Map (db m26903) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 11 — Barlow Circle — Putnam Memorial State Park —
A resident of Redding, Joel Barlow graduated from Yale in 1778. An accomplished poet and writer, Barlow was thought to have visited the Redding army camps during the winter of 1778-89. He was a chaplain for three years in the Continental Army. — Map (db m26902) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 2 — Camp Guardhouse — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Camp Guardhouse A log hut which was reconstructed about 1890 on the remains of a hut from 1778. The actual purpose of the original structure is in question, although local lore said it was the Guardhouse. The construction and size of the hut . . . — Map (db m26893) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 13 — Cemetery / Command Officer’s Quarters — Putnam Memorial State Park —
The two mounds of stones inside the square formed by the granite posts, were thought to be the camp cemetery. Accordingly, a memorial marker was erected to mark the site in 1902. Archaeology work has proven this site to be that of a . . . — Map (db m26909) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Charles Burr ToddPutnam Memorial State Park
This Tablet is Placed by the Commissioners Of Israel Putnam Memorial Camp To Perpetuate the Memory Of Charles Burr Todd 1849 – 1928 Historian and Biographer A Native of Redding, Inspired By Love For His Town And State, He Was . . . — Map (db m26898) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 6 — Company Street (Fireback Row) — Putnam Memorial State Park —
The enlisted men’s encampment consisted of 116 log huts set in a double row for almost a quarter mile down the company street. The only above ground remains of those huts today are the piles of collapsed stone chimneys. Each stone pile of . . . — Map (db m26896) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — First Church of Christ Congregational
About This Church This church was built in 1837 by the Methodist Episcopal Society of Redding. The building committee consisted of Thomas B. Fanton, John Read Hill, Gershom Sherwood, Jesse Banks, and David Duncomb. It served the Methodist . . . — Map (db m26816) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Guard House
On this site stood the Guard House of 1778-9. A soldier was shot & killed by the sentry on duty when attempting to escape. — Map (db m12006) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Israel Putnam
Donated A.D. 1969 by sculptress Anna Hyatt Huntington in her 93rd year in timeless memorial to Israel Putnam Senior Major General in the Continental Army who at Greenwich, Connecticut, in February of 1779, made good a dramatic mounted escape . . . — Map (db m11994) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — John Read, Gentleman
Home site of “Lonetown Manor” where John Read, Gentleman after whom the town is named settled in 1711 Title to the original 500 acres was secured by colony grants confirmed in 1714 by an Indian deed from Chief . . . — Map (db m26870) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 14 — Lake McDougall — Putnam Memorial State Park —
The stone dam which makes this pond was installed at the time of the park’s creation. But the stream was in existence during the 1778-79 army encampment. It is one of two main streams, one at either end of the camp, which provided water for the . . . — Map (db m26910) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 5 — Memorial Monument — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Memorial Monument Constructed in 1888, one year after the commissioning of the park, this monument honors the three different camps in Redding during the winter of 1778 – 79. This monument is the very first structure erected at the park. . . . — Map (db m26895) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 7 — Museum — Putnam Memorial State Park —
This building contains exhibits and historical materials including artifacts unearthed at the campsite during archaeological excavations. The museum was built in 1921. The structure was a repository for the artifacts found in the park. This . . . — Map (db m26897) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 8 — Officers Quarters — Putnam Memorial State Park —
The chimney remains mark the site of a company officer’s hut. The hut was a replica built in 1890 on the original site. The company-level officer’s huts were located behind the enlisted hut line. There are several other firebacks of these junior . . . — Map (db m26899) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 10 — Officers Quarters / Magazine — Putnam Memorial State Park —
This structure was reconstructed in 1890 on the foundations of the original 1778 building. Long thought to be an officer’s barracks, recent information is now leading archaeologists to believe that it was actually the camp magazine which held the . . . — Map (db m26901) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 9 — Philips Cave — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Local legend says a shallow cave in this rock outcrop was used by one Mr. Philips. Philips was a soldier who returned after the war to live in this cave. He led the life of a lonely hermit, including liberating an occasional chicken, or produce . . . — Map (db m26900) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 4 — Putnam Memorial State Park
Putnam Memorial State Park This park commemorates the three winter encampments in 1778 – 79 of Major General Isreal Putnam’s division of Continental Army troops during the Revolutionary War. The memorial park was created on the actual site . . . — Map (db m26890) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Redding
Originally part of Fairfield and unclaimed land, Redding was settled about 1711, made a parish in 1729, and incorporated in 1767. It was named for John Read, gentleman, lawyer, early landowner, and spokesman for the settlers. One of his land . . . — Map (db m26814) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Redding Citizens
In memory of the Redding citizens captured nearby April 26, 1777 & imprisoned in New York for ransom by British General William Tryon & his invading army. Russell Bartlett • Stephen Betts + • Daniel Chapman * • Thomas Couch • David Fairchild • . . . — Map (db m69916) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — The Hill Academy
This tablet is placed to perpetuate the memory of Aaron Sanford Hill 1800 – 1893 Interest in his native town and in public education inspired him to found The Hill Academy Erected on this site in 1883, this building, . . . — Map (db m26871) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Town of Redding World War I Memorial
Town of Redding 1914   Roll of Honor   1918 Erected in Appreciation of The Services of Our Men and Women Who Served in the World War Harold Albin • Carl A. Anderson • Hubert Anderson • Sigurd Anderson • Edward Babcock • . . . — Map (db m26815) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Unknown Heroes
In memory of the Unknown Heroes buried here. — Map (db m11999) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 1 — Visitor Center (1893 Pavilion) — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Visitor Center (1893 Pavilion) This building was originally built in 1893 as the park pavilion. It was used as a shelter for park visitors during inclement weather, for dances and picnics. The upstairs was used as the original park museum. . . . — Map (db m26891) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Winter Quarters of Putnam’s Division
Front of Monument: Erected to commemorate the Winter Quarters of Putnam’s Division of the Continental Army. Nov. 7th 1778. May 25th 1779. Right of Monument: Putnam McDougal Poor Parsons Huntington Back of Monument: The men of ‘76 . . . — Map (db m11997) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 3, 2020