Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Rehoboth, Massachusetts Historical Markers

 
Anawan House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bryan Simmons, May 26, 2012
Anawan House Marker
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Anawan House
Site of Anawan House formerly Lewis Tavern. A haven for travelers between Taunton and Providence Plantations — Map (db m55682) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Anawan House-Inn
Former site of the Anawan House, once called the Lewis Tavern built ca. 1835 as a rest stop for travelers between Taunton and Providence Plantations.

The Anawan House and inn served the public until July 1970.

In February 1971 the building . . . — Map (db m55683) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Anawan Rock 1676
Site of capture of the Wamponoag Indian Chief Anawan by Captain Benjamin Church on August 28th 1676, thus ending King Philip's war — Map (db m44921) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Bad Luck Pond
The name "Bad Luck" (origin unknown) has been associated with this area since the early 1700's. The Beverly and Kelton families operated a water powered saw mill for many years on the North side of the pond beginning in the 18th century.

Bad . . . — Map (db m56246) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Bliss-Carpenter Saw & Shingle Mill 1729-1870
In 1720, Jonathan Bliss moved here from South Rehoboth and established a sawmill on the East Branch of the Palmer River with a homestead nearby. This homestead was one of the first in the area, and Bliss called it " my farm in the woods" the mill . . . — Map (db m56247) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Cole-Perry Turning Mill 1780-1830
The ruins of the old dam are all that remain of the once busy Perry Turning Mill. This mill originally operated as a saw mill in a joint venture by Aaron Cole and Ezra Perry. Perry bought out Cole's share in he early 1800's, and raised the dam, and . . . — Map (db m56249) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Daniel Bullock- Samuel Baker Sawmill site 1750-1850
Plain St. now crosses what was once sawmill pond.

On a cold New Years day in 1830, 14 new converts to the nearby Oak Swamp Baptist Church were baptized by being immersed in the pond through a hole cut in 14" of ice — Map (db m55905) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Hornbine School
This one room school built in the 1840's and used by the town of Rehoboth until 1937. An extension of 14 feet at the rear was made in the 1920's. During Rehoboth's 325 anniversary in 1968 the school was restored and donated to the preservation of . . . — Map (db m44925) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Horton Signal 1777 - 1779
When the British occupied Newport, RI. during the Revolution they often threatened the surrounding towns with raids or "alarums" as they were called. When a raid began a system of beacon fires were lit to warn the militia in neighboring towns to . . . — Map (db m55911) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Indian Oven Rock
About 200 feet south of this spot is a natural oven shaped hole in a rock. According to local tradition, Indians used this as a bake oven and to parch their corn. — Map (db m55684) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Leonard Iron Mine 1696 - 1802
Nearby runs Mine Brook named after an iron mine established here in 1696 by the Leonards, a famous iron monger family from Norton and Taunton.

The ore dug at this site called bog iron, was found in the swamp and brook. The Leonards hauled the . . . — Map (db m55679) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Liberty Tree
During the American Revolution, a large white oak called "the Liberty Tree" stood near this place, which was then near the edge of a field. Beacons warning of trouble in Rhode Island could be seen by watchers at nearby Horton's Signal. After . . . — Map (db m55918) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Old Yellow Meeting House
Rehoboth's second Meeting House,built in 1773,was located in the present cemetery. It replaced the Lake St Meeting House, and was used for town meetings and church services. The site included a stable, a cemetery west of the meeting house, a militia . . . — Map (db m55656) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Orleans Manufacturing Co. 1810-1884 Also known as Shad Factory —
in 1810 a group of Rehoboth Citizens established Palmer River Manufacturing Company. A cotton spinning mill on the site of the old Joshua Smith grist and saw mill the mill was enlarged about 1826 and began manufacturing fine cotton cloth, as the . . . — Map (db m44924) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Palmer River Pound "Old Pot Ash Neighborhood" Circa 1750 —
This town pound maintained by Col. Frederick Drown for many years. Stray cattle were kept here until retrieved by their owners. The Wheeler family ran a pot ash business nearby. — Map (db m55912) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Perryville Dam 1740 - 1935
It was known as Butterworth Falls in the colonial days. Deacon Thomas Carpenter and later the Perry family maintained the saw-gristmill-turning shop here for almost 200 years — Map (db m55686) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Redway Plain
Redway Plain is named after James Redway, who settled here in the early 1700's. Originally the plain included this field, The Faxon Farm Field,and the Village Cemetery. Neither Winthrop Street or Pond Street existed before 1828.

From colonial . . . — Map (db m56243) HM

Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Sabin Sawmill
Site of Sabin Sawmill circa 1695 one of the first sawmills built in Rehoboth — Map (db m55685) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Samual Baker Grist & Sawmill Site 1810-1870
Founded by Josiah Millerd in 1731. For over 140 years neighborhood farmers had their corn ground into meal and their logs sawn into lumber at this mill. — Map (db m55917) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — Site of Original Oak Swamp Church (Baptist) Circa 1750 —
Framing for this church had begun at Peckham Street, when disgruntled Oak Swamp people took away the timbers in the night and raised the church here. — Map (db m55913) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Rehoboth — The Palmer's River Meeting House
Site of "The Palmer's River Meeting House" The first meeting house in the second precinct of Rehoboth.

Construction started in 1717 and completed November 29th 1721, with Reverend David Turner as pastor. Fifty pounds was donated towards the cost . . . — Map (db m55662) HM


21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement