Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ringgold, Georgia Historical Markers

 
General Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, June 6, 2009
General Marker
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — "General"
This Tablet marks the spot at which the LOCOMOTIVE "GENERAL" Was Abandoned by Andrews Raiders Afternoon of April 12th, 1862 Capt. Jas.J. Andrews , with twenty volunteers from Sill's Brigade, Mitchell's Corps, U.S.A. and a citizen of . . . — Map (db m20232) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-5 — 4th Corps' Route to Tunnel Hill
May 7, 1864. The 4th A.C., marching from Catoosa Springs, moved S. on this road to Tunnel Hill - Stanley’s div. in advance, followed by Wood & Newton; Maj. Gen. O.O. Howard, commanding. The march was opposed by outposts of Wheeler’s cav. - the . . . — Map (db m13609) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — MT-886 — 4th Michigan CavalryMinty's Brigade — Crook's Division —
Fourth Michigan Cavalry September 18th, 1863, 4 p.m.Map (db m103178) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Actions At RinggoldChickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
On September 11, 1863 Federal forces from Van Cleve’s Division of the 21st Army Corps of the Army of the Cumberland invaded Ringgold from the west. At the same time, Colonel John T. Wilder’s Mounted Infantry Brigade invaded from the north. A few . . . — Map (db m12020) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Atlanta CampaignRinggold Gap — May 7, 1864 —
National Historic Site Atlanta Campaign Ringgold Gap May 7, 1864 Here, through Ringgold Gap, a Federal advance position, Sherman and his army moved forward to begin the campaign against Atlanta and the heart of the South. The Confederate . . . — Map (db m12195) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-15 — Battle of Chickamauga<--- 9 mi. ---<<<<
Nine miles west of here on Saturday and Sunday, September 19th and 20th, 1863, the bloody battle of Chickamauga was fought. Here, Federal forces of about 60,000 under Major-General William S. Rosecrans, U.S.A., fought the two day battle with . . . — Map (db m19249) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-4 — Campaign for Atlanta Began Here
The 4th A.C., marching from Cleveland, Tenn. reached Catoosa Springs May 4, 1864. The 23d A.C., via Cleveland & Red Clay, camped in this vicinity. Both corps moved S. from these positions toward Dalton, May 7. The 4th A.C. went by direct rd. to . . . — Map (db m13611) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-1 — Catoosa County
Created December 5, 1853, the county has an Indian name. Ringgold bears the name of Major Samuel Ringgold, who died of wounds received at the Mexican War battle of Palo Alto in 1846. Taylor’s Ridge, visible for miles, is named for the Indian chief . . . — Map (db m19268) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Catoosa County War Memorial
(Front) Dedicated to the memory of the men of Catoosa County, GA. who gave their lives and to all who served in World Wars I and II. (Back) Dedicated to the memory of the men of Catoosa County, GA. who gave their . . . — Map (db m73935) WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-13 — Catoosa Springs Confederate Hospitals
In 1862-1863 several Confederate hospitals were located here. The sick and wounded Confederate soldiers drank of the health-giving waters of the several mineral springs in this area. Drinking this mineral water and bathing in it enable many sick . . . — Map (db m13610) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-12 — Cherokee Springs Confederate Hospital
>>>>— ½ mile ——> One half mile east is the site of Cherokee Springs Confederate Hospital, located here in 1862-1863. Hundreds of sick and wounded Confederate soldiers were sent to the hospital to rest and recuperate, being . . . — Map (db m89194) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Confederate General Patrick Cleburne's Emancipation ProposalPresented to the High Command - Army of the Tennessee, January 2, 1864
“As between the loss of independence and the loss of slavery, we assume that every patriot will freely give up the latter -- give up the Negro slave rather than be a slave himself.” So wrote Irish born Confederate Maj. . . . — Map (db m66170) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-14 — Confederate Hospitals
Here in 1862-1863 were located several Confederate hospitals - The Foard, The General, The Bragg, and The Buckner. The Courthouse, Napier's Hotel, two Churches, several warehouses, and temporary buildings were also used as hospitals. More than . . . — Map (db m12196) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Flame of Freedom
Flame of Freedom dedicated to The Veterans of All Wars Erected in 1969 by The American Legion Post No 40 Ringgold, Georgia — Map (db m73934) WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — General Patrick R. Cleburne Memorial
Cleburne — Map (db m30189) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Historic RinggoldSwinging Bridge
Swinging Bridge was constructed near the end of 1800's, probably by the city of Ringgold. It provided the farmers and school children that lived on the south side of the creek a safe crossing into Ringgold. There was a ford for use by wagons below . . . — Map (db m82884) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — MT-908 — Ireland's New York BrigadeGeary's - Second Division — Slocum's - Twelfth Corps. —
Text on Front Side of Marker: 60th New York Infantry 102nd New York Infantry 137th New York Infantry 149th New York Infantry Ireland's - Third Brigade Geary's - Second Division Slocum's - Twelfth Corps Hooker's . . . — Map (db m70649) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-2 — Nickajack Gap
The road E. ascends Taylor’s Ridge & via Nickajack Gap, crosses E. Chickamauga Cr. Valley. May 7, 1864. Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick’s (3d) Div., Elliott’s Cav. Corps (Army of the Cumberland) [US], moving from Ringgold, crossed Taylor’s Ridge at . . . — Map (db m19394) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-7 — Old Federal Road
This highway is part of the Old Federal Road, an early thoroughfare that linked Georgia and west Tennessee across the Indian Country. It began on the southeast boundary of the Cherokees, in the direction of Athens, Georgia and led toward Nashville . . . — Map (db m12179) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-9 — Old Stone Presbyterian ChurchWar Time Hospital
This Church, organized September 2, 1837, before the Cherokee Indians were removed from this area, was the first church organized by white settlers in the bounds of the present Catoosa County, according to available records. The organizers were a . . . — Map (db m12182) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-16 — Ringgold GapNovember 27, 1863
After the battle of Missionary Ridge, Bragg's Confederate Army retreated in disorder towards Dalton. Brig. Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne was ordered to take position in the gap, hold back the Federals, and save the trains and artillery from capture. . . . — Map (db m12181) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Stone Church(Chickamauga Presbyterian Church)
This building, commonly called "The Old Stone Church" began construction in the summer of 1850. Its members met in an old log cabin located one-quarter mile south of the present structure from 1837 to 1845. A site was selected one mile south in 1845 . . . — Map (db m12150) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Stone Church And Catoosa StationChickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
Organized in 1837, the Chickamauga Presbyterian Church, commonly call "The Old Stone Church," was a landmark in the Ringgold area at the time of the war. The coming of the Western and Atlantic Railroad and the construction of an impressive . . . — Map (db m12310) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — The Atlanta Campaign
May 7 - September 2, 1864 Ringgold Gap Here a Federal advance position was maintained during the winter 1863-1864 with the main force concentrated at Chattanooga. Sherman moved south through this Gap, May 7, 1864 to . . . — Map (db m76045) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — The Battle of Ringgold Gap
The Fall of Ringgold Cleburne holds gap for Confederate retreat; Sherman prepares fiery path to Savannah As Union General William S. Roecrans moved his forces off Catoosa soil at the Chickamauga . . . — Map (db m76054) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — The Evans HouseChickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
The Evans house was a double-pen log structure located on the corner of Guyler and Nashville Streets in Ringgold. Before the war the widow Evans took in boarders at the house to provide an income for her family. Two of these were nurses from the . . . — Map (db m68972) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-11 — The Napier House
Thomas Thompson Napier built this house in 1836 of heavy local timber prepared by slaves and finishing lumber brought by ox-wagon from Augusta. During the Battle of Chickamauga 20 wounded soldiers were cared for in the house by Mrs. Martha Harris . . . — Map (db m13864) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-10 — The Whitman House
This house of handmade brick was built about 1863 by Mr. William L. Whitman, prominent merchant of Ringgold. After the Battle of Ringgold General U. S. Grant established his headquarters here. When he and his staff were leaving he offered Mrs. . . . — Map (db m9061) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Trail of Tears Memorial
In 1838 federal soldiers forced the Cherokee to march from Georgia to the Indian Territory. That area would later be known as Oklahoma. Thousands died on the march, which began in the midst of a drought and continued into a harsh winter. This . . . — Map (db m76042) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-8 — Western & Atlantic Depot
This is the only depot between Atlanta and Chattanooga that has been in continuous use since May 9, 1850, when the first train ran over this end of the line. Previous to the coming of the W & A to 'Cherokee Georgia,' the nearest market was Augusta, . . . — Map (db m9207) HM

30 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement