Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Ringoes, New Jersey Historical Markers

 
Academy Of Arts & Science Marker image, Touch for more information
By Alan Edelson, February 14, 2009
Academy Of Arts & Science Marker
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Academy af Arts & Science
Conducted 1876-1909 by Dr. Conrnelius Larison. Also publishing house for his “Fonic Speling Wurks in Orthoepy.” His old home lies to the east. — Map (db m16697) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Amwell Academy
Built in 1811 as a private school. In 1869 the Larison brothers, Dr. C.W. and Rev. A.B. opened their seminary at Ringoes. Building is one of the finest examples of Federal Architecture in N.J. — Map (db m16732) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Amwell Church
Site of the first Presbyterian Church built in 1738. Here, George Whitefield’s sermon to 3000 people in 1740 inspired religious zeal. — Map (db m62456) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Amwell Militia
Erected in memory of the citizen soldiers of Amwell Township who, commanded by Captain John Schenck, on December 14th 1776, met and drove from this field a column of the British 16th Light Dragoons, after killing their commander, Cornet Francis . . . — Map (db m31959) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Amwell SkirmishDecember 14, 1776
Support for the rebellion against British tyranny was at a low ebb in December 1776. The British occupied a strategic area in New Jersey and Washington's army had retreated across the Delaware River. The British commander in New Jersey sent . . . — Map (db m31960) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Bellis - Durham - Totten Farm
This important early twentieth century farmstead represents the former predominance of dairy farming in Hunterdon County and is significant for its association with Frederick Totten, a founding member of the Hunterdon County Dairy Herd Improvement . . . — Map (db m42133) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Black River and Western Railroad
In 1854 Flemington Transportation Co. Built roadbed from Flemington to Lambertville. Became part of Pennsylvania RR in 1871. BR&WRR began operations in 1965. Other business located on site include creamery, lumber yard, mattress factory and feed . . . — Map (db m16696) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Cornet Francis GearyTo The Memory Of
16 (The Queen's) Light Dragoons Born 1752 Killed in action here in the service of King George III December 14, 1776 Eldest son of Admiral Sir Francis Geary Baronet Erected in 1907 by his great nephew Sir William Nevill M. Geary . . . — Map (db m31961) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Coronet Geary Trail
British officer Francis Geary killed near here in a 1776 skirmish. He is buried to the northeast off Geary’s Ridge Road. — Map (db m16735) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — East Amwell Veterans
In tribute to the veterans of East Amwell Township who served in World War II. In Memory Of: William Eppele Steven Garboski Ralph Mattison Melbourn Lawrence J. Larsen Andrew H. Welisewitz Frank G. Laga Jr. Franklin V.D. Hill . . . — Map (db m21266) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — East Amwell Veterans Honor Roll
Honoring those who actively served during World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Conflict, or Desert Storm. — Map (db m16699) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Hoagland Cemetery
In an 1889 Ringoes magazine, James Monroe Hoagland wrote of a cemetery of about 100 graves. It has been obliterated by plowing but was located in the field to your right. John Hoagland and other early farmers and settlers are said to have been . . . — Map (db m92448) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Landis House
Built 1750 by Henry Landis. Lafayette stayed here while a patient of Dr. Gershom Craven. — Map (db m16698) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Old York Road
Early Lenape Indian trail; became a "Kings Highway" in 1764. Was main stage route between Philadelphia and New York. — Map (db m60413) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Ringoes
Village named for John Ringo’s tavern, on the Old York Road. Sons of Liberty and Committee of Correspondence met here during the Revolutionary War. — Map (db m16695) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Ringo's Tavern
Site of Tavern owned by Ringo Family, 1738-1779. "Sons of Liberty" met here in 1766. Local political center during Revolution. — Map (db m16694) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Servis-Quick Family Cemetery
19th century family graveyard. Over 100 graves of local residents. Captain Jacob Servis, aide to Gen. Washington at Yorktown buried here. Stone wall built in 1848. — Map (db m62918) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Site of St. Andrew's Church
Prior to 1750 an Anglican church built of logs, later stone. Only portions of cemetery remain. Dr. Gershom Craven, who treated General Lafayette, is buried here. All graves face east as was the custom of the times. — Map (db m16733) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — Steam Era Signal & Switchstand
The purpose of the railroad signal is not unlike that of a traffic light; it tells locomotive engineers when they can proceed, when they should proceed with caution, and when they must stop. This type of railroad signal, which uses colored lights, . . . — Map (db m58822) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Ringoes — United First Presbyterian Church of Amwell
Founded as a German Reform church in 1749 by Palentine Settlers from Germany. Stone church originally in adjoining cemetery. Became a Presbyterian church in 1810. Original entrance faced south. — Map (db m16734) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement