An interurban railway was brought to town by the Detroit, Rochester, Romeo, and Lake Orion Railway (DRR&LO) in 1899.
Its powerhouse, located next to Paint Creek, used steam generators to produce electrical power for the entire Flint Division . . . — — Map (db m101924) HM
New York native George Vandeventer, who came to Avon Township as a child in 1834, became a successful businessman and civic leader in Rochester. When their home burned in 1875, George and his wife, Julia, built this Italianate-inspired house. The . . . — — Map (db m118769) HM
Built in 1899-1900, the Masonic Block was designed by Edward R. Prall. The Rochester Building Association raised funds for the project. Among its leaders were William Clark Chapman, general manager of Western Knitting Mills and twentieth village . . . — — Map (db m98418) HM
In 1826, Mount Avon became the first officially platted cemetery in Oakland County. The "Old Ground" or "Historic Acre" contains headstones dating from 1817, the year the earliest settlers arrived in the area. Members of the Graham family, . . . — — Map (db m118936) HM
Built in 1890, the Opera House Block opened with the First National Bank and Norton Pharmacy on its ground floor. On November 7, 1890, a grand opening dance launched the upper-level opera house as Rochester's social and cultural center. Until 1933 . . . — — Map (db m98520) HM
The "Old Stone Store" is the oldest commercial building in Rochester. Dr. Rollin Sprague of New York had the structure built in 1849 of coursed cobblestone, using a construction method more commonly used in his home state. The Sprague Building is . . . — — Map (db m118678) HM
The Castle emblem represents the City of Rochester located in Kent County, England. On March 17, 1817, James Graham and his sons arrived in this very area while their families settled here later. Many settlers including our founders came here from . . . — — Map (db m118827) HM
The community's first water-powered sawmill was erected in 1819, just one year after the first land sale. Rochester's favorable industrial climate fostered many other businesses in the years that followed, including the Western Knitting Mills, built . . . — — Map (db m118720) HM
The Oak leaf symbolizes our broader community, Oakland County, of which Rochester was the first settlement. The tall, strong and enduring trees the county was named after dominate the surrounding landscape and played a critical role in supporting . . . — — Map (db m118801) HM
Built in 1889 to replace a school that had burned down the year before, the Avon School District No. 5 Schoolhouse sits on the site of the first private school in Avon Township, originally constructed in 1847. Since Rochester's founding, the . . . — — Map (db m118785) HM
The three-faced clock installed April 8, 1993 was provided by NBD Bank, N.A. in cooperation with the Rochester Downtown Development Authority. Its purpose is to both honor the traditions of the past and to compliment Downtown Rochester in the . . . — — Map (db m98571) HM
Avon Township, the site of the first settlement in Oakland County, was organized in 1835. This white clapboard building was erected in 1880 as the township hall. Its alterations reflect the area's industrial and commercial growth. Initially . . . — — Map (db m118757) HM
Roy was born in a corner house on Woodward and Pine Street in Rochester to Frank and Martha Rewold. Raised on Ludlow Street, Avon Park became Roy's backyard; swimming in the creek in the summer and skating on the pond in the winter.
Beginning . . . — — Map (db m118610) HM
Paint Creek and the Clinton River provided power for the first woolen mill on this site in 1844. Constructed in 1896, the Western Knitting Mills building was supported by a yarn mill, dormitories and two warehouses. One of the area's largest . . . — — Map (db m118730) HM