For God and Country
This votive tablet is dedicated to the honor of the men and women of Parke County, Indiana who answered the call of our Country in the Great World Wars, and especially to those who died that you and I might live; and to the . . . — — Map (db m3802) WM
Popular columnist writing as “The Country Contributor,” Strauss (1863-1918) idealized simple rural life and traditional roles for women in a time of national shifts in class and gender relations. Began writing for . . . — — Map (db m59728) HM
to those who served
for God and Country
that the eternal verities,
upon which this Nation
is founded, might live
Charles Ray Chaney
Hobert Decker Robert Lee Delp
Wilbert R. Harper
Robert Dean Hutson . . . — — Map (db m3804) HM
This building, erected in 1832, replaced an 1824 log structure and served as jail and sheriff’s residence until ca. 1879.
A scaffold erected just east of the jail was the scene of the last hanging in Parke County. — — Map (db m59820) HM
This Museum Building built in 1839 first used as a seminary; an armory during the Civil War, a school for negro children from 1873-1924, later a gas station, a restaurant, and gift shop.
Purchased in 1975 by Parke Co. Historical . . . — — Map (db m3677) HM
A Historic Cemetery Listed in
Indiana’s Cemetery and Burial Grounds
Registry of the Indiana Department of
Installed 2012 Indiana Historical Bureau
and . . . — — Map (db m59850) HM
Pavilion was built 1913 by Edgar Jerome (1862–1942) of Rockville. He used wooden bridge building techniques in timber framing which supports entire structure. It was designed to seat 3,000 people under its roof. Repairs made 1976–1978 . . . — — Map (db m3807) HM
The first business in Parke County was a grist mill built near here by Chauncey Rose and associates in 1819. This was the first flatboat landing in the county; territorial court was held here and this was a stop for stagecoaches. — — Map (db m18892) HM
The State Sanatorium Covered Bridge is a single-span Kingpost Truss Burr Arch structure with a span length of 154 feet. It was constructed in 1913 by Joseph A. Britton. The bridge is listed on both the National Register of Historic . . . — — Map (db m59773) HM
was moulded by fusing the Bells of the
Old and New School Presbyterian Churches
after uniting in 1869.
The Bell Tower
was restored 1950 by memorial gifts to
John H. Sherrard, Pastor, 1888 — . . . — — Map (db m59805) HM
1917 HONOR ROLL 1919
In commemoration of the patriotism of our boys who went forth at the call of their Country to serve in the World War and in memory of those who died that liberty might live.
William Owen Isham, . . . — — Map (db m4784) HM