5 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Rowena
By William Fischer, Jr., April 3, 2007
Oldest Rock Building in City
|Completed in 1903. 24-inch walls are made of sand and lime mix mortar. Originally used as grain and feed store. — — Map (db m12077) HM|
|Rowena was originally laid out by Paul J. Baron in 1897. A Santa Fe Railroad section house known as Rowena Station had been established in the area in 1888; however, the post office officially denied this name as it too much resembled Ravenna in . . . — — Map (db m108601) HM|
|Organized in 1904 as Rowena Chapter of the Sons of Hermann, worldwide benevolent fraternal organization.
Named for German national hero and tribal leader Hermann the Defender (18 B.C. - 19 A.D.), who helped break Roman power east of the Rhine . . . — — Map (db m96031) HM|
|On May 2, 1904, eighteen charter members organized SPJST Lodge No. 49 in Runnels County. Founded just eight years after the SPJST’s organization, Lodge No. 49 continued the Czech-Texan benevolent society’s goals of promoting fellowship and Czech . . . — — Map (db m96032) HM|
|The need for education in this rural area was met in 1902, when a two-room school was started on Emil Helm’s farm (1.5 mi. NW). The name “Sweet Home” was chosen by Henry Kriegel, one of the first trustees. In 1922 the school was moved to . . . — — Map (db m96033) HM|