Formed in 1856 to accommodate rapid growth in the area, the 20th Ward originally met in a meetinghouse on 2nd Avenue between D and E streets. By 1884 when the need for a larger facility and the desire of the school board to use the location for a . . . — — Map (db m1560) HM
Built by Brigham Young for his own children stood on this corner lot 1860-1903 This early school was directed by Eli B. Kelsey, who in soliciting additional students announced in the Deseret News, December 12, 1860, as follows:
. . . — — Map (db m35005) HM
The mansion, completed in 1901, was designed for Alfred W. and Elizabeth McCune by architect S. C. Dallas. Alfred McCune acquired great wealth through railroad, mining, and timber enterprises. In 1920, after the McCune's moved to Los Angeles, they . . . — — Map (db m132485) HM
Anderson Tower was built in 1884 by Robert R. Anderson (1848-1935) a pioneer of 1867, and one of the original settlers on the north bench of Salt Lake City. The tower was patterned after similar towers Mr. Anderson had seen in Scotland as a young . . . — — Map (db m124173) HM
Designed by Philip Meyer, a native of Germany and a nephew of local retail magnate Frederick Auerbach, the B'nai Israel Temple was constructed in 1890-91. Henry Monheim, a local architect, supervised the construction. It is one of the few remaining . . . — — Map (db m35790) HM
Erected about 1852. Used as the executive offices of the Territory of Utah until 1855. Headquarters of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from the time it was finished until 1917 when the new church office building was complete.
For a . . . — — Map (db m35163) HM
The Broadway Hotel is one of the dozen hotels built in downtown Salt Lake City shortly after the completion of the city's two major rail depots. The building is most notable today for the portico on its southeast corner. This portico marks the . . . — — Map (db m35695) HM
In the early 1860's George and Mary B. Calder built one of the first amusement parks on this spot. They cleared the land with oxen, planted grass and trees and converted a natural spring of water into a lake for boating. It was spanned by a . . . — — Map (db m40229) HM
Constructed 1912-1913, the Capitol Theatre incorporated classical design and was stylistically advanced for its time. the theater's highly decorative Italian Renaissance style is significant as an innovation in the development of Utah architecture. . . . — — Map (db m35547) HM
This reinforced concrete warehouse with a brick facade was built in 1929 for George E. Chandler, founder of the Central Warehouse Company. Part of the Warehouse District in the Salt Lake City Multiple-Resource Area, this structure helps document the . . . — — Map (db m35950) HM
Built in 1852 by Isaac Chase, a native of New York State who came to Utah in September 1847. His daughter Louisa drove the ox team across the plains which brought the mill stones and mill irons which were used in the manufacture of flour. In 1854, . . . — — Map (db m35131) HM
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints constructed this building between 1914 and 1917 to serve as its headquarters. Prior to its completion, the office of the Church President was located just to the east between Brigham Young’s Lion House . . . — — Map (db m35685) HM
This site originally housed two buildings used as brothels on Salt Lake City’s busy Commercial Street during the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Commercial Street was created in 1871, one of the first streets to be cut through Salt Lake City’s large . . . — — Map (db m35306) HM
Jews have been part of Utah’s religious, economic, social, and political life since the mid-19th century. Congregation B’Nai Israel was organized in 1874. The first service was held in March, 1883. B’Nai Israel merged with Congregation Montefiore in . . . — — Map (db m35792) HM
This Synagogue was constructed in 1903 at a cost of $9,000, and was one of only 4 synagogues built in Utah during the 19th and early 20th centuries. It was designed by prominent Utah architect Carl Neuhausen. The building's exotic style results from . . . — — Map (db m35833) HM
Built: 1864 – 1866
Originally Located: 120 East on 2nd South
Architect: William H. Folsom
Construction: Red Sandstone
Served as city hall and home of territorial legislature until 1894 moved to this site with the aid of . . . — — Map (db m35075) HM
World renowned mining and metallurgical engineer, eminent business executive, benefactor and loyal friend of Utah and its people.
Guided by an inspired vision, he applied and developed processes for the beneficiation of low grade porphyritic . . . — — Map (db m72780) HM
This railroad station was constructed between 1908 and 1910 to serve the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad and the Western Pacific Railroad. The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad was completed between Denver and Salt Lake City in March 1883, and the . . . — — Map (db m34997) HM
Devereaux House was Salt Lake City's earliest mansion and, in its day, the most elegant. As a unique mansion in an isolated frontier city, the Devereaux was the setting of many social gatherings that included prominent local citizens and important . . . — — Map (db m35793) HM
After 4 1/2 miles of fighting boulders and brush along streambed, Donner Party gave up here, and on August 22, 1846, climbed steep hill to southwest. A survivor wrote, "We doubled teams, almost every yoke in the train (of 23 wagons) being required . . . — — Map (db m41380) HM
When Dr. Ellis Reynolds Shipp graduated from Women's Medical College in Philadelphia with a specialty in obstetrics and diseases of women and children, she returned to Salt Lake City to practice medicine and open her School of Obstetrics and Nursing . . . — — Map (db m123640) HM
Perhaps one of the longest living and prominent residents of the area, known as Parley’s Hollow, now officially Parley’s Historic Nature Park, was Joseph Dudler. About 1864, he settled in this location. Here he built his home. It was two stories, . . . — — Map (db m124023) HM
Early in 1870, Joseph Dudler, owner and operator of the inn which was on the ground level of his house, built a brewery in back of his house here in Parley’s Hollow. To provide for this, in addition to the brewery proper, located on adjacent . . . — — Map (db m124024) HM
Built in 1864, the Eagle Emporium Building is the oldest existing commercial building in downtown Salt Lake City. William Jennings, Utah's first millionaire, constructed the building to house his mercantile business. The Eagle Emporium Building was . . . — — Map (db m35804) HM
The Eagle Gate marked the entrance to the homes of Brigham Young. During the early settlement of the valley, Brigham Young was aloted the land lying athwart the mouth of City Creek Canyon. His New England heritage prompted him to desire the privacy . . . — — Map (db m35161) HM
Eliza R. Snow
Leader of Pioneer Women
January 21, 1804 - December 5, 1887
O My Father
The immortal poem – hymn, “O My Father” was written by the inspired poetess, Eliza R. Snow, sometime in the Spring of 1845 in . . . — — Map (db m35237) HM
July 26, 1847, two days after the Mormon pioneers entered this valley Brigham Young and party climbed to this point and with the aid of field glasses made a careful survey of the mountains, canyons and streams. In the group were Heber C. Kimball, . . . — — Map (db m44050) HM
From this point, looking northward, one has a clear view of ensign peak, a round hill, projecting up from the low range of which it is a part. On July 26, 1847, two days after the Mormon Pioneers entered this valley, Brigham Young and party climbed . . . — — Map (db m125020) HM
1872-1873, Thomas J. Johnson
Cast iron facade by Richard M. Upjohn
The First National Bank Building features the oldest known cast iron facade in the Intermountain West. It was designed by Richard M. Upjohn, one of . . . — — Map (db m35541) HM
This site, the northeast corner of First South and Main (formerly East Temple Street), was first occupied in the 1850s by an adobe building housing the Hooper & Eldridge bank. This bank was succeeded under territorial law in 1871 by the Bank of . . . — — Map (db m35000) HM
Fur trappers and traders were the first white men in this locality. William H. Ashley and men arrived in the spring of 1829.
The principal leaders were
James Bridger - Etienne Provost
Jedediah S. Smith
James Bridger, discoverer of . . . — — Map (db m124920) HM
The Gibbs-Thomas-Hansen House, built in 1895 for Gideon A. and Margaret T. Gibbs, is both historically and architecturally significant. Bought by the Thomas family in 1906, the house is the only residence associated with Elbert D. Thomas, who, as a . . . — — Map (db m35768) HM
Born June 1, 1801, at Whitingham, Vermont
Died August 29, 1877, at Salt Lake City, Utah
Brigham Young, second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints succeeded Joseph Smith, founder of the Church, who was martyred at . . . — — Map (db m62788) HM
Latitude 40°46'04" - Longitude 111°54'00" Altitude (sidewalk) 4327.27 Ft.Fixed by Orson Pratt assisted by Henry G. Sherwood, August 3, 1847, when beginning the original survey of “Great Salt Lake City,” around the . . . — — Map (db m35007) HM
Designed by architect John C. Craig, the Herald Building was constructed in 1905 to house the Salt Lake Herald, a daily newspaper which began publication in June 1870. The Salt Lake Herald ceased publication in 1920. During its . . . — — Map (db m35544) HM
Built in 1909, this imposing 31-unit apartment building, notable for its construction of rusticated and decorative ashlar concrete block, is the only remaining example of its type in Salt Lake City. All of the apartments have built-in Murphy beds, . . . — — Map (db m36002) HM
Replaced the First Greek Church in Utah, consecrated in 1905. Designed in the Byzantine tradition, its construction began in July 1923 and was completed in August 1924. Surrounding the church were once many immigrant neighborhoods dependent on the . . . — — Map (db m35283) HM
Constructed in the traditional Byzantine style, Holy Trinity held its first service on August 15, 1924. Located in the center of the Salt Lake City immigrant district, the church served Greek miners, railroad and smelter workers and their families. . . . — — Map (db m35285) HM
The Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church is evidence of the size and religious devotion of Salt Lake City's Greek immigrant community. In the early 20th century, Greeks were the largest immigrant group in Utah. Salt Lake City's Greek community was . . . — — Map (db m35696) HM
Old Folks Day was inaugurated in Salt Lake City in 1875, by Charles R. Savage, assisted by Edward Hunter, presiding Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and George Goddard, since which time all persons seventy or more years of . . . — — Map (db m34998) HM
The corner of Main Street and South Temple have long been important in Utah history. Prior to construction of Hotel Utah in 1909-11, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ general tithing office, bishop’s storehouse, and the “Deseret . . . — — Map (db m35680) HM
In Honor Of
[ Second Plaque Mounted on the Monument: ]
The Names of the PIONEERS Who Arrived in this Valley,
July 24, 1847,
* Signifies Those Now Living. The Unmarked Ones Are All . . . — — Map (db m35317) HM
The foundation work on the Salt Lake Temple was nearing completion and soon would be ready for the granite upper walls. The four day trip from the quarry with oxen-drawn wagons could not possibly provide stone as quickly as it was needed. To . . . — — Map (db m1420) HM
The Hotel Utah was the “Grande Dame” of hotels in the Intermountain West. For most of the 20th century. the hotel hosted Utah’s most distinguished visitors and was a focal point of local social activity. As one historian wrote, . . . — — Map (db m35747) HM
Heber C. Kimball, pioneer of 1847 and first counselor to Brigham Young, was allotted the land adjacent to this monument upon which to build homes for his family, the majority of whom arrived in 1848. He and Newel K. Whitney dedicated a plot of . . . — — Map (db m132484) HM
As a result of the organization of the original 19 wards of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints “Mormons” in Salt Lake City on February 22, 1849, ward squares or blocks were created on which the public buildings for each ward . . . — — Map (db m35828) HM
In 1824-26 the first black man came into Utah Territory. He was a trapper for the Rocky Mountain Fur Company. His name was James Beckworth. In succeeding years many black people would follow to contribute to the development of Utah, socially and . . . — — Map (db m1379) HM
From 1847 to 1869 approximately 86,000 persons, mainly converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, left their established homes to build anew in the valleys of the Rocky Mountains. About 6,000 were buried along the way. . . . — — Map (db m35212) HM
The original five acre plot, located in the Big Field Survey, was assigned to Isaac Chase, a pioneer of 1847. A spring of clear water made it a verdant spot. Later he purchased three other tracts and planted seeds of locust trees around his home and . . . — — Map (db m35127) HM
Apartments such as this were a new type of residential building that emerged during the early 20th century as Salt Lake City developed into an urban center. Dozens of multi-story brick apartments were constructed in the neighborhoods near downtown. . . . — — Map (db m35957) HM
Constructed 1855-1856 as a residence for Brigham Young and his family, the Lion House takes its name from the recumbent lion carved by William Ward set on top of the front portico. The house was designed by Truman O. Angell and built of stuccoed . . . — — Map (db m35345) HM
Although willows grew along the banks of the streams a lone cedar tree near this spot became Utah's first famous landmark. Someone in a moment of thoughtlessness cut it down, leaving only the stump which is a part of this monument.
"In the . . . — — Map (db m35125) HM
The McIntyre Building was constructed in 1908–1909 for William H. McIntyre, Sr. who became wealthy after the development of his mammoth mine in Utah’s Tintic Mining District. This building, designed by Richard K. A. Kletting and constructed of . . . — — Map (db m35560) HM
Constructed 1909-1910, the Morrison-Merrill Lumber Company Office and Warehouse is historically significant as the headquarters of one of Utah’s largest and most important lumber companies. The construction of this facility marked the beginning of . . . — — Map (db m35823) HM
The Nauvoo Bell originally hung in the temple that Church members built in Nauvoo, Illinois, in the 1840s.
The Saints removed the bell in 1846 when they were forced to leave Illinois because of persecution.
Following instructions from Brigham . . . — — Map (db m101779) HM
This substantial two-story house was built in 1854 by Nelson Wheeler Whipple at a cost of approximately $2,000. Whipple was a Mormon immigrant from New York who arrived in Salt Lake City in 1850. During his long career in Utah he worked as a . . . — — Map (db m95945) HM
Constructed in 1864-65 at 120 East 1st South, this red sandstone building served for nearly 30 years, 1866-1894, as the seat of government. Here the Territorial Legislature met and passed laws establishing free public schools, made appropriations . . . — — Map (db m34994) HM
The Park Hotel is significant for its association with the early 20th-century development of Salt Lake City’s transportation and industrial district. Built immediately after the completion of the nearby Rio Grande and Union Pacific railroad stations . . . — — Map (db m34996) HM
This home was erected 1853-1854 by Isaac Chase who with his wife Phebe and their family came to Utah in 1847. Originally it had eight rooms, including a large kitchen with a built-in dutch oven. The adobes were made on the church farm and the small . . . — — Map (db m35129) HM
Erected by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers and the State of Utah as a replica of the Salt Lake Theater. Dedicated July 23, 1950, as a Hall in which to preserve the names, portraits, histories, manuscripts, relics and other evidences of . . . — — Map (db m35252) HM
At this location on October 18 1861 stood the telegraph pole, shown on above plaque, on which telegraph wires were joined which spanned a continent and united two oceans.
On that date the first two telegrams transmitted were as follows: Great . . . — — Map (db m35085) HM
The Primary Association, a children’s organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, operated a children’s hospital near hear for 30 years, from 1922 to 1952.
· Located at 44 West North Temple Street.
· Founded by Sarah . . . — — Map (db m1363) HM
The Salt Lake City & County Building is one of Salt Lake City’s most beloved landmarks.
The building is Utah’s finest example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. Numerous detailed carvings, including Indian chiefs, Spanish explorers, and . . . — — Map (db m132257) HM
The Oregon Shortline Railroad Company built the lower, eastern section of this building to house its offices in 1897. Shortly therafter, the Salt Lake City School Board contracted with the railroad to build the small annex and larger, more elaborate . . . — — Map (db m35714) HM
The Salt Lake Herald Building's U-shaped plan is unusual. Many 19th and early 20th- century buildings have a U-shaped plan to allow light and air to reach interior offices. Most often, however, the "U" opens to the rear or the side of the . . . — — Map (db m35543) HM
This street is named Exchange Place after the Salt Lake Stock and Mining
Exchange Building. As part of his efforts to make south downtown the financial center of Salt Lake City, Samuel Newhouse donated this site to the Salt Lake Mining and . . . — — Map (db m35610) HM
The temple is used by Church members for marriages and other sacred ordinances designed to strengthen families, both now and for eternity. Begun in 1853, it was completed 40 years later. Granite rock used in its construction was hauled 23 miles by . . . — — Map (db m132227) HM
Parley's Creek, originally known by the Indian name Obit-Ko-Ke-Che Creek, was the largest stream of water which flowed from the Wasatch Mountains into the valley. This creek had beginnings high in the Wasatch Mountains to the north near what became . . . — — Map (db m123769) HM
(150 Years). Winter Quarters, Nebraska to the Valley of the Great Salt Lake,
April 21, 1997 to July 22, 1997.
On a cold rainy morning in April 1997, modern day pioneers left Florence, Nebraska, the old winter quarters, to re-enact the . . . — — Map (db m1449) HM
This glass enclosure marks the site of Social Hall, Utah’s first theater. Mormon
settlers built the Social Hall in 1852, just five years after their arrival in the Salt Lake Valley. The simple adobe building was evidence of the strong . . . — — Map (db m35753) HM
This monument marks the site of the Social Hall, the first recreation center in the intermountain west. Built by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints under the direction of Brigham Young. Made of plastered adobe walls with native wood . . . — — Map (db m35756) HM
In April 1, 1894, the St. Mark’s Hospital Board of Directors authorized the establishment of the first Official Nurses Training School in the Intermountain Region. Mary Edith Newitt was employed as Superintendant of the Training School.
The . . . — — Map (db m1430) HM
The 18th Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, one of the original nineteen ecclesiastical wards of Salt Lake Valley, was organized Feb. 14, 1849. Early congregations consisted of families of Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, and . . . — — Map (db m35670) HM
Erected about 1852 by President Brigham Young as the official residence of the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and occupied by him from the time it was completed until his death in 1877.
From 1852 to 1855 it also . . . — — Map (db m34995) HM
"I want to say to every man, the Constitution of the United States, as framed by our fathers, was dictated, was revealed, was put into their hearts by the Almighty who dwells in the heavens; and I tell you in the name of Jesus Christ it is as good . . . — — Map (db m132154) HM
In 1845, it took six months to get a message from the east coast of the United States to California—by the time it arrived, the news was old. In the late 1850s, a half million people had migration west, and they wanted up-to-date news from . . . — — Map (db m1433) HM
In the summer of 1847, this site, known then as the "Old Fort," was the first permanent Anglo-Saxon settlement in the west. It was here that the American Flag was first raised. This Sesquicentennial Flag Pole is raised as a tribute to the pioneers . . . — — Map (db m35269) HM
Built by President Brigham Young and used by him as a residence from about 1855 until his death in 1877. On the lower floor were the dining room and kitchens. On the next floor were the living rooms and large parlor; and on the top floor were the . . . — — Map (db m35354) HM
The Lion House takes its name from the carved lion on top of the front portico. The house was constructed with adobe blocks, a common building material during Utah’s settlement period. Brigham Young, second president of the Church of Jesus Christ of . . . — — Map (db m35683) HM
In May and June 1846, the services of the Mormon people--en route to the west--were officially tendered to the United States government, then at war with Mexico.
President James K. Polk authorized Colonel Stephen W. Kearney, . . . — — Map (db m35195) HM
A Moment in Time.
Running as fast as the mustang pony could run, Pony Express riders raced across nearly 1900 miles of wilderness carrying the U.S. Mail between St. Joseph, Missouri, and Sacramento, California. With nostrils flaring, lungs . . . — — Map (db m1432) HM
Dedicated to Roy W. Simmons and I. J. "Izzy" Wagner
Friends and business partners, Roy Simmons and I. J. "Izzy" Wagner spent more than half a century building businesses - including Zions Bank - and improving their . . . — — Map (db m35325) HM
Home of one of the earliest efforts toward the creation of local industry in Utah. At these crossroads, in 1853-55, a structure was erected which stood for many years as a symbol of pioneer enterprises and courage. Its site was approximately two . . . — — Map (db m1436) HM
The Pony Express
Pony Express Division Headquarters
Here, Ben Ficklin, General Superintendent, and Major Howard Egan and James C. Bromley, Division Superintendents, had their headquarters.
The Following Were Honored Utah Riders . . . — — Map (db m35405) HM
Long, long be my heart with such memories filled; like the vase in which roses have once been distilled.
You may break, you may shatter the vase if you will,
but the scent of the roses will hang ’round it still.Thomas Moore
. . . — — Map (db m35755) HM
This is the Place Monument, dedicated July 24, 1947, commemorates the arrival of the Mormon pioneers into the valley of the Great Salt Lake one hundred years before, and also the role of others—Spanish Catholic fathers, trappers and fur . . . — — Map (db m1525) HM
As western settlement increased, the need for an overland railroad was voiced by various groups, including Utah pioneers who petitioned Congress, Mar. 1852. The Enabling Act of 1862 authorized construction. First rails laid by Central Pacific in . . . — — Map (db m35805) HM
Organized during the 1880’s by the Reverend T. Saunders, this congregation has served as a focus of black religious, social, and cultural activity in Utah from territorial days to the present. In 1907 property at this spot was acquired, and a church . . . — — Map (db m35829) HM
On this site in 1857, the Twentieth Ward or Twentieth District School was erected, John Toone builder. The one large room served for school, church and recreation. In 1860 a two-story addition was constructed. Pupils came from all parts of Salt Lake . . . — — Map (db m43559) HM
Strategically placed relay stations across the western frontier proved to be a major contributing factor to the early success of the Pony Express mail service. “Station keeps,” assigned to these outposts readied swift horses, fresh and . . . — — Map (db m35009) HM
On this ten acre square during the years 1847-1849 stood the first fort, historic Mormon bastion, sometimes called the "Plymouth Rock of the West." Homes were erected of logs or adobe, side by side, with the rear walls forming a protective . . . — — Map (db m35280) HM
Utah's first pioneer burial site was located just thirty feet west and two hundred feet south of
this point. Here, thirty-three Utah pioneers were buried beginning with three year-old Milton Thirlkill. This youngster from Mississippi drowned on 11 . . . — — Map (db m35194) HM
July 26, 1847, President Brigham Young and others descended Ensign Peak and located Sulphur Springs. Thomas Bullock wrote: "About 1½ miles north of the Temple Block is a sulphur spring which I dug out and made into a beautiful place." A . . . — — Map (db m124915) HM
Two men figure most prominently in the history of Devereaux House.
William Staines was the original occupant of this property. Staines was an English-born horticulturist whose dedication to his "mission to beautify Zion" helped establish the . . . — — Map (db m35803) HM