Founded in 1905, Rotary International is headquartered in Evanston, Illinois and is the world’s oldest service organization. This plaque is erected on the occasion of the 92nd Annual Convention in which more than 20,000 Rotarians from over 120 . . . — — Map (db m30193) HM
In November 1916, Maj. Benjamin Foulois of the Aviation Section of the U.S. Army's Signal Corps chose a tract of land approximately three-fourths of a mile to the southeast of this spot to serve as a flying field for the Army Aviation Corps. In . . . — — Map (db m65285) HM
In 1896, a court case involving Ricardo Rodríguez brought attention to questions of citizenship and voting rights for Mexican Texans. Although several actions had granted citizenship to large numbers of Tejanos during the 1800s, some sought to . . . — — Map (db m130096) HM
In years gone by, the southern portion of Main Plaza was devoted to the restaurant purposes of the Mexicans, and there one could obtain at any time a plate of chili-con-carne, frijoles, tamales, or whatever his taste might crave in the way of . . . — — Map (db m30206) HM
Area was first explored and named by Spaniards in 1691. Colonial settlement began here May 1-5, 1718, with founding of Franciscan Mission San Antonio de Valero (later known as "The Alamo"). In vicinity of the mission was the Presidio San Antonio de . . . — — Map (db m30588) HM
As the granddaughter of Lorenzo de Zavala (1789-1836), first vice-president of the Republic of Texas, young Adina de Zavala was exposed to vivid accounts of Texas' revolutionary and republican past. She became a guiding force in the preservation of . . . — — Map (db m61083) HM
On this spot bodies of heroes slain at the Alamo were burned on a funeral pyre. Fragments of the bodies were afterward buried here. This tablet is the gift of relatives of Green B. Jemision and of other friends.
The De . . . — — Map (db m30589) HM
Mission San Antonio de Valero, established nearby in 1718, was relocated here in 1724. By 1762, the mission plaza was enclosed by thick stone and adobe walls. The 11x14-foot main gateway was located at this site along the south wall. In 1803 . . . — — Map (db m30713) HM
Near this site in 1879, Englishman William Loyd discovered a blue argillaceous limestone believed to be a natural cement rock. Analysis by San Antonio druggist and chemist George H. Kalteyer confirmed the rock contained proper proportions of lime . . . — — Map (db m65282) HM
Alfred Giles is remembered as a major architect who designed many edifices throughout Texas in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Born in 1853 in Hillingdon, Middlesex County, England, Giles spent his early days as an architect's . . . — — Map (db m118800) HM
At first called "Devil's Rope" by cowboys, barbed wire was patented in 1873 but found little favor with Texas cattlemen until the late 1870s, when its use and practicality were shown in a sensational demonstration here in San Antonio. Its . . . — — Map (db m61084) HM
Once called "bobwire" by cowboys, barbed wire was a French invention first patented in the U.S., in 1867, but it did not gain favor with cattlemen until late 1870s. Joseph Glidden of Dekalb, Illinois, received a patent for his barbed wire in 1874, . . . — — Map (db m30607) HM
El Presidente Benito Juárez encabezó la Reforma que consolidó el México moderno, defendió la soberanía nacional contra la intervención extranjera e impulsó el desarrollo económico del país.
As one of the creators of modern Mexico, President . . . — — Map (db m82940) HM
The administrative government of Bexar County, besides being the oldest in Texas, is distinguished by having served under nine governments. The community served under Spanish rule from May, 1718, until January, 1811, when it was taken over by the . . . — — Map (db m53972) HM
A German immigrant, August Biesenbach (1848-1915) and his wife, Louisa (1852-1916), began construction of this house in 1880. The walls of the house are stucco over brick with a hipped roof and Gothic Revival details. From 1910 to 1955, the house . . . — — Map (db m118875) HM
Construction of Bolivar Hall was begun in 1940 and completed in 1941. The combination library, museum, and community center was dedicated to the promotion of inter-American peace, and was named in honor of South American patriot, Simon Bolivar. . . . — — Map (db m82915) HM
Otto Bombach, a carpenter, built this combination house and store in 1856 before moving to Mexico. His wife lived here and managed the property until it was sold in 1869. Victor Bracht, author of Texas in 1848, lived here briefly, and in . . . — — Map (db m82888) HM
Margarita Pérez de Rodríguez, consort of Compañía de Béxar soldier Jose Antonio Rodríguez, was given this land "in satisfaction of her constitutional allowance." She sold the property in 1851 to San Antonio postmaster John Bowen, who conveyed it to . . . — — Map (db m82896) HM
This tract of land is a natural peninsula in the San Antonio River. It once was bounded by the river on three sides and on the fourth by the Concepcion Acequia. In 1845 John Bowen, a native of Philadelphia, bought the property from Maria Josefa . . . — — Map (db m30864) HM
The narrow strip of land known to residents in the middle 1800s as Galveston Island was actually a peninsula surrounded on three sides by a bend in the San Antonio River. It was called an island because the fourth side was almost completely closed . . . — — Map (db m128527) HM
Official Historical Medallion - Texas Historical Commission Completed in 1909 for Gen. John Lampham Bullis, this Neo-Classical Revival Residence was designed by San Antonio architect Harvey Page. A native of New York, Bullis spent much of his . . . — — Map (db m35099) HM
One of the founders of the Groos National Bank, Carl W. Goos (1830-1893) came to Texas from Germany in 1848. The Groos home, designed by Alfred Giles, was built in 1880 by John H. Campmann. Porch detailing on the Victorian residence reveals . . . — — Map (db m118893) HM
Casa José Antonio
has been designated a
Home of statesman and historian José Antonio Navarro (1795-1871), signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, a writer of the State Constitution, . . . — — Map (db m131014) HM
A descendant of early Texas colonists, including a veteran of San Jacinto, Clara Driscoll was born in Refugio County and grew up as a wealthy rancher's daughter. In 1903, soon after returning from school in Europe, she learned that the Long . . . — — Map (db m30130) HM
Title to the Alamo Mission property,
acquired through her efforts and
her personal fortune, was conveyed by
to the State of Texas, Sept. 5th 1905:
“That the sacred shrine be saved from the
encroachments of . . . — — Map (db m30734) HM
At an elevation of 1340 feet, Comanche Hill is the fourth highest point in Bexar County. The hill lies on the southeastern edge of the Edwards Plateau and makes up the western edge of the Blackland Prairie. Throughout history this site has provided . . . — — Map (db m60328) HM
The 20th anniversary of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) signing ceremony which occurred in this place on October 7, 1992 between the countries of Canada, Mexico, and the United States of America. From left to right (standing) . . . — — Map (db m82883) HM
Life in San Antonio in the 1700s revolved around Main and Military plazas west of the river and Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) east of the river.
Residents traveled between the plazas and mission along an unpaved street that led to a . . . — — Map (db m119155) HM
The main ford between San Fernando de Bexar (the city) and San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo), this river crossing has long been a focal point of history. At its footbridge on Feb 23, 1836, Alamo emissary Albert Martin met to parley with Santa Anna's . . . — — Map (db m30591) HM
This cemetery is located within part of a 40-acre grant of land given to the city of San Antonio by the King of Spain. The property was later subdivided into twenty-nine separate cemeteries by city aldermen, and this area was designated as City . . . — — Map (db m30150) HM
Native San Antonian Henry B. Gonzalez spent 45 years in elective public office (city, state, federal) doing what he liked most - serving the people of San Antonio. As his seniority in Congress grew, he developed a greater role in serving the entire . . . — — Map (db m31890) HM
Given in 1952 by his granddaughter, Edna Steves Vaughan, and her husband, Curtis T. Vaughan. Owned, restored and maintained as a house museum by the San Antonio Conservation Society. — — Map (db m118861) HM
Former Confederate officer and Virginia state legislator Elias Edmonds married Lucy Noyes Hall in 1871, and they moved to San Antonio that year.
In 1877, they built one of the first houses in the King William neighborhood. Elias was a successful . . . — — Map (db m118798) HM
During the 1930s, San Antonio native Emma Tenayuca was a prominent leader of a movement that fought deplorable working conditions, discrimination and unfair wages on behalf of the city's working poor. As a child, Tenayuca had often visited the Plaza . . . — — Map (db m81175) HM
Built about 1890, this home was constructed on land bordering the Mission Concepcion Acequia (Canal). In 1896 the site was purchased by Prussian native William Ernst (1830-1904), a former mail carrier between Fredericksburg and San Antonio. Ernst . . . — — Map (db m61089) HM
Robert H. H. Hugman, architect, revered for his role in development of the river walk, 1939-1941, opened his office at river level in this circular space in early 1941. He remarked at the time, "I opened my office at river level. When I did this, . . . — — Map (db m30606) HM
The San Antonio River and surrounding creeks have experienced devastating floods throughout the city's history. Major flooding in 1819, 1868, 1913, and 1921 caused extensive property damage and loss of life. An engineering study after the 1868 . . . — — Map (db m119035) HM
The San Antonio de Padua Mission was founded in San Antonio in 1716 by the Franciscan Father, Antonio Olivares, and after merging with the San Francisco Solano Mission in 1718, it was officially founded as the San Antonio de Valero Mission. The . . . — — Map (db m9228) HM
Mrs. Florence Terry Griswold (1875-1941), a native Texan reared along the Mexican border, provided aid to refugees of Mexico's 1910 revolution. On October 16, 1916, she and 21 friends met at the historic Menger Hotel to found the Pan American Round . . . — — Map (db m30596) HM
Brought about as Texas moved to expel 2600 Federal troops – a step necessary after secession. Frontier fighter Ben McCulloch with 400 volunteers forced surrender negotiations at headquarters of Gen. Twiggs a block and a half from here, by 4 . . . — — Map (db m30326) HM
Erected in grateful recognition of
the supreme act of heroism of the
thirty two men from Gonzales
who gave their lives in the Alamo
in response to the appeal of Travis.
Erected March 1, 1936 — — Map (db m30777) HM
José Amador was given this property by the Spanish Government in 1817. His heirs sold it to P.L. Buquor in 1847. Later that year, James Gray bought the land and built this house, which he sold to French consul Francois Guilbeau in 1853. Another . . . — — Map (db m82893) HM
This house is one of three standing antebellum structures in the King William Historic District.
Gustav Blersch, a German immigrant, importer and retail dealer, built this two-story limestone home in 1860 with designer Gustave Freisleben and . . . — — Map (db m118909) HM
Mayer Halff (1836-1905) immigrated to Texas from Lauterborg, Alsace Lorraine, France, in 1850. In partnership with his brother Solomon, he opened a mercantile business in Liberty and began a cattle ranching enterprise. They moved to San Antonio in . . . — — Map (db m82808) HM
This oak tree planted in the spring of 1965 in memory of the Heroes of the Alamo. Presented by the First Officers' Training Camp Association of Texas, Leon Springs, Texas, May 8...August 15, 1917. Roster of First Campers filed in Alamo Library. — — Map (db m30599) HM
The Curbier Family, which was granted land in La Villita after the 1819 flood, sold this property in 1854 to Rafael Herrera, husband of their daughter Vicenta. Herrera built this house and owned it until 1897. The property, which extended back to . . . — — Map (db m82900) HM
Juana Francisca Montes de Flores inherited this property from her husband, Jose Leonardo de la Garza, and sold it to Ernest Hessler in 1869. Hessler built this house before 1873, when it appears on the city map. He never lived here, and in 1891 sold . . . — — Map (db m82912) HM
Like 208 South Presa, which it resembles, this house was probably built shortly after 1869 on land purchased by Ernest Hessler from Juana Francisca Montes de Flores. The structure, which appears on the 1873 city map, was rented when Louis Foutrel . . . — — Map (db m82913) HM
Houston Street, known from the 1700s until the middle 1800s as Paseo (passageway) or Paseo Hondo (deep passageway), was sloped to the San Antonio River. Nearby land drained to the river, and the usually dusty street became a muddy . . . — — Map (db m119149) HM
In the early years, mission Indians lived in small detached houses called jacales. In 1755, eighty-four of these jacales lined "streets" in what is today the plaza. But after 1768, as conflicts with Apaches and Comanches increased, the . . . — — Map (db m32738) HM
To the Memory of
The Heroes of the Alamo
[Poem in Chinese follows]
The story of the Alamo reaches far beyond the borders of Texas. More than 2.6 million visitors from around the world came to the Alamo in 1996. The . . . — — Map (db m30779) HM
In 1899, John Lang Sinclair became a student at the University of Texas (UT) in Austin. The first UT band was formed in 1900 and Sinclair, possessing an aptitude for music, joined it as well as the Glee Club. The student head of the Glee Club, . . . — — Map (db m30131) HM
Here he entertained Robert E. Lee and other famous men. He was known for his Christianity, hospitality, and charity to the poor and orphans. He blew up his store to keep the powder and shot from the enemy during Vasquez's Raid March 1842. He was . . . — — Map (db m30600) HM
Great early San Antonio leader, a native of North Carolina. Moved to Illinois, then to Missouri, where he was sheriff of Rawls County in 1824. Came to Texas with Green DeWitt in 1826 and settled at Gonzales.
Smith moved to San Antonio in 1828 . . . — — Map (db m82880) HM
One of two native Texans who signed Declaration of Independence and helped found Republic of Texas.
Ruiz, born in San Antonio, son of a wealthy rancher, was educated in Spain. Upon returning home, he was appointed school teacher by order of the . . . — — Map (db m130094) HM
We strolled into a Justice’s Court the other day, and were reminded of the time when God smote the children of men with a confusion of tongues. A German was complained of by a Mexican, and a Frenchman was the witness. Each spoke his native tongue . . . — — Map (db m30208) HM
As World War I raged in Europe, the United States began to build up and expand its military aviation forces. In his search for a new army aviation training site, Maj. Benjamin Foulois found 700 acres of flat farmland with a water supply near the . . . — — Map (db m65284) HM
The river followed an irregular course through the town center and irrigated the lower farmlands of Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) to the south. After the mission was secularized 1793, the surrounding fields were distributed to . . . — — Map (db m118908) HM
As early as 1877, this land was the site of an adobe residence where Mrs. Kate Womble operated a boarding house popular among travelers to San Antonio. The house appeared on the 1873 city map. The Sanborn Insurance maps show it as late as 1904. The . . . — — Map (db m82910) HM
La Villita, “The Little Village”, settled about 1722 as “The Town of the Alamo". Here General Martin de Perfecto Cos signed the Articles of Capitulation to Texians December 11, 1835 and General Santa Anna's artillery battery . . . — — Map (db m82886) HM
La Villita, located on the south bank of the San Antonio River a short distance south of Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo), was settled in the 1700s. Situated on the river’s high bank near the mission, villa, and presidio, the area was . . . — — Map (db m128808) HM
Commandancy of the Alamo,
Bexar, Feby. 24th, 1836-
To the people of Texas & all Americans in the world--
Fellow citizens and compatriots
I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans and Santa Anna - I have sustained a . . . — — Map (db m78329) HM
In 1846, the Rev. J.W. De Vilbiss bought a Methodist Church site (across street) in this block. He set up a bell, to denote worship site, but did not build when lot title proved defective. In 1879, German Methodists erected this Gothic Revival . . . — — Map (db m61253) HM
Throughout history it has often been desirable to allow boats to travel up streams farther than shallow water would normally allow them to go. For centuries this problem has been solved by using dams, gates, and locks.
Since 1941, dams . . . — — Map (db m119049) HM
Mariano Romano Losana bought this land in 1859, and probably built this house soon afterward. It was purchased by Rafael Lopez in l866 and sold again in 1871, when the deed referred to “the house, out houses, fences and all other . . . — — Map (db m82894) HM
Legend states that in 1836 Lt. Col. William Barret Travis unsheathed his sword and
drew a line on this ground before his battle-weary men stating: “Those prepared to
give their lives in Freedom’s cause, come over to me!” — — Map (db m123951) HM
Ludwig Mahncke was born in Mecklenburg-Strelitz (now Germany) in 1846. Mahncke married Katarina (Kemp) in 1871 and the couple had two daughters. The family left Germany and arrived in the United States in 1882, settling in San Antonio shortly after. . . . — — Map (db m65740) HM
Spanish urban planners in the New World knew how to create a vibrant community: its two interconnected building blocks were a cathedral and a plaza.
This spatial structure compelled the citizens of New Spain to revolve around a civic center, . . . — — Map (db m118154) HM
During the Main Plaza renovation in 2007, archaeologists discovered remnants of a military fortification underneath this street. This entrenchment would have been part of San Antonio's defense against attacks during the turbulent revolutionary . . . — — Map (db m30214) HM
Constructed in 1928, at a cost of $3,000,000 this structure was designed by John Eberson for Karl Hoblitzelle, owner of the interstate theatre chain. Chiefly Spanish Colonial Revival in design, its eclectic features include paired columns supporting . . . — — Map (db m30605) HM
Artisans of Mexican Arts and Crafts, founded by San Antonio entrepreneur Ethel Wilson Harris in 1931, created this mural for Mayor Maury Maverick as a private work for a family home.
From 1939 to 1941, Harris also supervised the WPA Arts and . . . — — Map (db m119066) HM
Exact replica of pub in London's House of Lords. Theodore Roosevelt recruited "Rough Riders" here in 1898. Site of more cattle deals than any other place in Texas and San Antonio's oldest continuously operated saloon. — — Map (db m30556) HM
Early San Antonio boarding house keeper, Wm. Menger in 1859 opened fine stone hotel, the "new" Menger, beside Alamo Plaza. To host Indians, presidents, poets, actors, generals, singers, public of the world. Served venison, quail, mutton, beef, soup . . . — — Map (db m30597) HM
In recognition of its nurturing
William Sidney Porter (O. Henry)
January 14, 2000
[Marker in the 1859 hotel . . . — — Map (db m31844) HM
William A. (1827-1871) and Mary Menger, both born in Germany, opened a boarding house and brewery at this site in 1855, when most local businesses were still clustered around Main Plaza and Military Plaza. The popularity of the boarding house led . . . — — Map (db m92750) HM
Mills were used to grind grain such as corn or wheat into meal or flour for use as food. The grain was poured into the hopper which funneled it through the eye in the top millstone. Water drove the waterwheel which turned the top millstone. The top . . . — — Map (db m30749) HM
On this spot early pioneers of San Antonio gathered in time of danger and also when they came to worship in the chapel of San Francisco de la Espada.
This lot was donated to the Archdiocese of San Antonio by the heirs of Josefa de la Garza . . . — — Map (db m132595) HM
"It is truthfully the best of the Americas, and not in the like of the others; nor in all the frontier does the King have an outpost better constructed and easier to defend..."
Fr. Juan Agustín de Morfi, 1777-78
Mission San José and its . . . — — Map (db m33997) HM
Spain, which ruled Mexico for 300 years ending in 1821, paid little attention to its northeastern frontier until French settlers built outposts near the Red River in Louisiana. The Spanish responded by establishing missions in East Texas in the . . . — — Map (db m119601) HM
Spain, which ruled Mexico for 300 years ending in 1821, paid little attention to its northeastern frontier until French settlers built outposts near the Red River in Louisiana. The Spanish responded by establishing missions in East Texas in the . . . — — Map (db m119618) HM
Born in Connecticut, October fourth 1761; moved to Philadelphia in 1783, thence to Virginia in 1785 and to Missouri in 1798.
Arrived in San Antonio on December 23, 1820.
Died in Missouri June tenth, 1821.
(Panel . . . — — Map (db m119803) HM
This plaque is placed
in memory of
Mr. & Mrs. Alfred Beyer
Founders of Casa Rio Mexican Restaurant
A true pioneer with the vision
to make our river a better and
more beautiful people's place,
Mr. Beyer opened the first
River . . . — — Map (db m30712) HM
This marker commemorates the 275th anniversary of the naming of the site that became the city of San Antonio.
On the feast of St. Anthony of Padua, June 13, 1691, Padre Damian Massanet, Franciscan missionary and Governor Don Domingo Teran, . . . — — Map (db m82890) HM
San Antonio's population tripled to 161,000 between 1900 and 1920. Commercial and residential development boomed, and automobiles and streetcars clogged narrow thoroughfares. Local leaders recognized the need to modernize the outdated infrastructure . . . — — Map (db m119597) HM
Born in San Antonio; descendant of Frenchman who settled in Mexico before 1714. Always a civic leader, helped found first public school in San Antonio, 1812.
Went (1821) with Juan M. Veramendi to escort Austin Colony leaders to Bexar, and . . . — — Map (db m118112) HM
This site, from lower lands of Mission San Antonio de Valero, later part of the Vicente Amador Spanish Grant, was bought 1869 by merchant Russel C. Norton, who began building in 1876. House grew with additions of a second story, Victorian . . . — — Map (db m118892) HM
The river in the downtown area is kept at a constant level by floodgates located just below the Nueva Street Bridge. The gates open during heavy rains, allowing water to pass safely from the upper to the lower channel. When this occurs, other . . . — — Map (db m119028) HM
O. Henry House
Typical of the homes of early German settlers, this two-room dwelling was built by John Kush about 1855. It originally stood on south Presa Street. It was occupied in 1895-96 by William Sidney Porter, . . . — — Map (db m61240) HM
Excellent example of lavish Victorian architecture of late 1800s. Built in 1874 by German immigrant Edward Steves, founder of a family prominent in city financial and social circles.
Stuccoed limestone exterior walls are 13" thick. The . . . — — Map (db m118860) HM
In a 2-story stone building, afterwards a hotel, Vance House.
Established as administrative offices for U.S. Army during the Mexican War, 1846-1847.
At this site on Feb. 16, 1861, Gen. David E. Twiggs surrendered $1,600,000 in Federal . . . — — Map (db m132554) HM
This structure was built to house the San Antonio National Bank, organized by George W. Brackenridge and others in 1866 as the first federally chartered banking institution in the city. Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz, a New York architect, designed the . . . — — Map (db m30346) HM
Established in 1852 in frontier San Antonio by 4 members of the Society of Mary: Brothers Andrew Edel, John Baptist Laignoux, Nicholas Koenig, and Xavier Mauclerc - all natives of France.
Construction of this building began in fall, 1852, and . . . — — Map (db m132557) HM
Opening at this site in 1898 as "St. Philip's Saturday evening sewing class for black girls", this college was found by the Rt. Rev. James Steptoe Johnston (1843-1924), Episcopal Bishop of western Texas, who considered education a tool toward . . . — — Map (db m82879) HM
This sculpture symbolizes the first Mass celebrated in San Antonio on June 13, 1691. The day before, the first Spanish expedition to march across Texas to the Louisiana border reached a stream the Indians called Yanaguana -- “Place of Restful . . . — — Map (db m30861) HM
Here 56 Texans gathered in home of Samuel A. Maverick, Sept. 11, 1842, to defend city in surprise attack of 1800 Mexicans under Gen. Adrian Woll. Maverick and 52 others were captured and marched to Perote in southern Mexico. On March 30, 1843, . . . — — Map (db m118096) HM
One of oldest permanently settled locales in Texas, this area was first explored by Spaniards in 1691. The Presidio (Fort) of Bexar was relocated here in 1772 and for many years, Plaza was enclosed on three sides by adobe fortifications.
During . . . — — Map (db m118117) HM
Spanish missionaries, soldiers, and families who settled San Antonio in the 1700s relied on the San Antonio River and irrigation ditches (acequias) to provide water for household and agricultural use. One of the earliest ditches, the Pajalache . . . — — Map (db m128817) HM
One of the largest demonstrations of its kind ever witnessed in Southwest Texas took place in the area surrounding San Fernando Cathedral Wednesday night. An estimated 35,000 to 40,000 Roman Catholics from 140 parishes in the 32-county San Antonio . . . — — Map (db m30345) HM
The isolated Spanish outpost established a short distance northwest of here in 1718 was soon relocated to a more protected area between the river and San Pedro Creek in today's center city. The mission and its religious community were placed east of . . . — — Map (db m119599) HM
No one knows why this intricate carving is now called "the Rose Window." Possibly dedicated to Saint Rose, its baroque beauty is entangled in many San Antonio legends that whisper of its mystery.
The artistry lavished on the church wall . . . — — Map (db m34069) HM
The main thoroughfare of early Texas, the Camino Real, or "King's Highway", followed ancient Indian and buffalo trail. It stretched 1,000 miles from Mexico to present Louisiana. Domingo Teran de los Rios, first Governor of Texas, blazed the central . . . — — Map (db m130099) HM
This is the ruins of the habitations of the friars and Indians; refrectory, kitchen and other regular offices. In the second patio there was a gallery with weaving rooms and rooms for storing materials and utensils.
The habitations of the . . . — — Map (db m30742) HM
Established on what was a part of the Alamo lands, Saint Mark's Espicopal Church traces its history to Trinity Church, a mission established in 1850 and disbanded in 1858. Saint Mark's church was organized in 1858 with the Rev. Lucius H. Jones as . . . — — Map (db m132556) HM
Erected in 1886 as the post's first permanent hospital this building provided seventy beds for the sick and wounded. Removing the casualties from the unhealthy riverside location of the temporary hospital in the city, which was a proven spawning . . . — — Map (db m75662) HM
A native of South Carolina; came to San Antonio in 1835; was guide for Ben Mailam and other leaders in first attack on San Antonio by Texas Army, Dec. 1835. As Bexar Delegate, Maverick signed Texas declaration of Independence at . . . — — Map (db m30608) HM
The exclusive Casino Club was organized in 1854 by San Antonio Germans. In 1881 the San Antonio Club was established for literary purposes. The institutions merged in 1925 to form San Antonio Casino Club. This building, completed in 1927 with its . . . — — Map (db m30603) HM
The missions of San Antonio were far more than just churches, they were communities. Each was a fortified village, with its own church, farm, and ranch. Here, Franciscan friars gathered native peoples, converted them to Catholicism, taught them to . . . — — Map (db m33990) HM
Organized Nov. 1862, by act of Texas Legislature, incorporated 1863. Had store at this site. Its $44,000 capital included $8,000 subscribed by the city for its needy and for families of Confederates away in the Civil War. Aim of group was to keep . . . — — Map (db m30210) HM
Most cities have a river:
San Antonio has a river walk.
The San Antonio river has been an important resource since long before the arrival of the Spanish when the area was home to Native Americans. The first mission, San Antonio de Valero, . . . — — Map (db m30602) HM
On May 13, 1907, the San Antonio Section of the National Council of Jewish Women was organized in the Menger Hotel. Anna Hertzberg was elected president by the 15 charter members. The council immediately became active in the development of social . . . — — Map (db m30595) HM
the two hundredth anniversary of
the laying of the corner stone
San Fernando Cathedral
First place of worship for Texans. Built
through the generosity and zeal of the
Canary Islanders, founders of San Antonio . . . — — Map (db m30333) HM
Designed by prominent San Antonio architect Alfred Giles, this home was built in 1881 for Alexander Sartor, Jr. A native of Germany, Sartor came to San Antonio in the mid-nineteenth century and established a jewelry business. After he sold the . . . — — Map (db m118886) HM
Scottish Rite Masonry in San Antonio dates to 1912, when a charter was granted by the sovereign grand inspector general of Texas. The organization grew slowly until World War I, when many soldiers stationed in San Antonio became members. This site . . . — — Map (db m30609) HM
Erected on this site in 1734 for prominent Bexar citizens Geronimo and Javiera Cantu de la Garza, the de la Garza family home was designed by Geronimo's brother-in-law Pedro Flores Valdez. The complex occupied an entire city block and was crafted . . . — — Map (db m118527) HM
Trained as a millwright in his native Germany, Carl H. Guenther (1826-1902) started his San Antonio operation in 1859 at the site of the present Pioneer Flour Mills. In 1868 he built another dam and mill upstream at this location. Because it was . . . — — Map (db m118542) HM
After the Texas War for Independence, numerous immigrants, notably from Ireland, Germany, and the Eastern United States, arrived in San Antonio. The need to minister to these non-Hispanic Catholics prompted the Rt. Rev. John M. Odin, first Bishop of . . . — — Map (db m132558) HM
In the aftermath of the Civil War, the resolution of issues associated with education of newly freed slaves influenced the nature of Southern education well into the 20th century. The federal government established the Bureau of Refugees, . . . — — Map (db m118163) HM
Following the Civil War and the Emancipation of American slaves, the Federal Government established the Freedman's Bureau to oversee programs aimed at educating and assisting blacks with their newly-granted citizenship. One of the most visible of . . . — — Map (db m118166) HM
A former Texas Ranger and Confederate soldier, Thomas C. Frost (1833-1903) began a wool commission business as part of his mercantile enterprise in the 1870s. He purchased wool from producers throughout the state and stored it in warehouses on this . . . — — Map (db m130097) HM
Ferdinand Ludwig Von Herff (1820-1912) was the son of Christian and Eleanora (Von Meusebach) Herff, prominent citizens of Darmstadt, Germany. The younger Von Herff studied in Giessen, Bonn and Berlin, graduating with a medical degree in 1843. He . . . — — Map (db m30554) HM
Originally housed at the Alamo, the arsenal was established at this location in 1858. The facility initially included an office building, magazine, and commander’s quarters. A portion of the San Pedro Acequia (ca. 1730) carried water across the . . . — — Map (db m118552) HM
The first ribbons of steel which brought
the spark-spewing wood-burning
locomotives to San Antonio in 1877,
opened a new era of development
A modern counterpart to the romantic
diamond stackers of yesteryear,
Southern Pacific . . . — — Map (db m30112) HM
The Texas A&M University-San Antonio Campus was built on land that once was conveyed by Spanish and Mexican land grants and traversed by several branches of El Camino Real de Tierra Afuera del Oriente (also known as El Camino Real de los Tejas . . . — — Map (db m98241) HM
Has been designated a
Under the provisions of the
Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
This site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating or illustrating
the history . . . — — Map (db m118123) HM
When these buildings were built, Texas was part of the Spanish colony of New Spain. The buildings were part of the Mission San Antonio de Valero, established by Franciscan missionaries in order to convert the Native Americans living in the vicinity . . . — — Map (db m30774) HM
San Antonio is named for the Catholic saint, Anthony (San Antonio) of Padua. Born in Portugal in 1195, he joined the Franciscan order and became a celebrated teacher of scripture. Anthony was declared a saint in 1232, less than a year after his . . . — — Map (db m119600) HM
St. Joseph's Church was erected by the German speaking Catholics of San Antonio. The corner stone is dated May 8, 1866 and was laid on November 9, 1868. The church was dedicated by the Most Reverend C. M. Dubois in 1876. The first pastor of St. . . . — — Map (db m30604) HM
Many immigrants from both the United States and Europe were attracted to the Republic of Texas after it became independent from Mexico in 1836. Among the new Texans were missionaries of various faiths, including the French Catholic priest Jean . . . — — Map (db m118178) HM
St. Philip‘s College was begun in an adobe house just north of this building in 1898. Originally a parochial day school, it grew into a grammar and industrial school with a boarding department. This two-story brick building was constructed by the . . . — — Map (db m82898) HM
Designed by prominent Texas Architect James Riely Gordon (1864-1937), this structure was built in 1894 to house the successful carriage business of German immigrant August Frederick Staacke (d.1909). An excellent example of the architecture of a . . . — — Map (db m61239) HM
American Locomotive Company, 1916
Weight Engine and Tender, Loaded,
Total Length, Engine and Tender,
80 Ft., 2-1/2 In.
Tractive Effort 53,630 Pounds
Used in Freight Service on Texas
and Louisiana Lines . . . — — Map (db m30102) HM
One of the finest remaining structures in San Antonio's late 19th-century commercial district, this building was designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by James Riely Gordon (1864-1937) and was completed in 1891. Over the years the first . . . — — Map (db m30593) HM
U.S. Navy Submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 submarines still on "patrol"
We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the lines against the enemy . . . — — Map (db m119140) HM WM
(monument text) (1833-1903) Educator Attorney Public Servant Soldier Merchant Banker (plaque text): Thomas Claiborne Frost (1833 – 1903)
Born in Jackson County, Alabama in 1833, T. C. Frost graduated from Irving College . . . — — Map (db m63694) HM WM
Thomas Claiborne Frost (1833-1903) came to Texas from Alabama in 1855 to teach at Austin College, Huntsville. Admitted to the Bar in 1856, he served as a Texas Ranger before setting up a law practice in Comanche County. He was a delegate to the . . . — — Map (db m30223) HM
This house appears on the 1873 city map and was probably built by José and Refugia Durán Tejada, who bought the land in 1855 from Concepción Ruiz. Ernest Hessler, who already owned the two houses to the west on Presa Street, bought the property in . . . — — Map (db m82911) HM
This site was the longtime home of KWEX-TV, a pioneering national and international broadcasting innovator.
Por un largo tiempo, este fue el hogar de KWEX-TV, un innovador y pionero de los medios televisivos a nivel nacional e . . . — — Map (db m128829) HM
In commemoration of the
150th Anniversary of Texas Independence
and in honor of the
who gave their lives at the Alamo
on March 6, 1836
the Citizens of Tennessee
present this Tennessee Homecoming Tree and Plaque . . . — — Map (db m30775) HM
San Antonio's original water system, started in 1718, consisted of eight acequias or canals taking water from the San Antonio River and San Pedro Crek. These acequias extended 15 miles from the headwaters of the San Antonio River to the five . . . — — Map (db m30711) HM
This is the Long Barrack, the oldest building in San Antonio. It was built in 1724 as a convento or residence for priests and was originally part of the Mission San Antonio de Valero, now known as the Alamo. Since then it has been used as a . . . — — Map (db m30743) HM
Mission San Antonio de Valero - famed as The Alamo - founded 1718 by Spanish Missionaries. Secularized 1793. Garrison for Spanish Cavalry and Flying Company of San Carlos de Parras y Alamo. Between February 23 and . . . — — Map (db m78330) HM
In memory of the heroes who sacrified
their lives at the Alamo, March 6, 1836,
in the defense of Texas.
“They chose never to surrender nor retreat.
These brave hearts, with flag still
proudly waving, perished in the flames
of . . . — — Map (db m30709) HM
Corrals for cattle and horses occupied this space during the famous 1836 Siege and Battle of the Alamo. Small fortifications provided cover for the Texans during the siege. The structures shown in the illustration are (left to right) the church, . . . — — Map (db m30714) HM
The church of former Mission San Antonio de Valero had been converted into a powder magazine and artillery platform by the Mexican Army in the autumn of 1835 during the Siege of Béxar. Following the capture of the town in early December 1835, Texan . . . — — Map (db m30736) HM
The fortress known to history as “The Alamo” was originally built by the Spanish in the 18th Century. Named Mission San Antonio de Valero by Franciscan officials, the mission occupied this site from 1724 until it was closed in 1793. The . . . — — Map (db m30824) HM
One of the weakest points of the fortified former mission was an open space between the old church and the Low Barrack. During the Siege of Béxar, Mexican troops constructed a palisade, or double log-wall, to close the exposed area. The Texans . . . — — Map (db m30857) HM
Decisive in Texas history, was fought here, September 18, 1842. Col. Mathew Caldwell and Capt. John C. Hays, commanding a force of Texas volunteers, opposed the Mexican Army under General Adrian Woll that had captured San Antonio, and with the loss . . . — — Map (db m128119) HM
This courthouse occupies the south side of Main Plaza, formerly called "La Plaza de las Islas", as originally laid out by the Canary Islanders in 1731. As it was then, this plaza is the administrative and judicial heart of Bexar County.
This is . . . — — Map (db m61088) HM
This plaque was dedicated January 15, 1948, by Alamo Lodge No. 44 A.F.&A.M. commemorating the one hundredth anniversary of the chartering of the lodge and honoring those pioneer masons of that era, who founded the lodge upon this site. — — Map (db m30781) HM
Earliest civilian colonists of San Antonio, this nucleus of pioneers from the Canary Islands formed the first organized civil government in Texas and founded the village of San Fernando de Bexar in 1731.
Following a sea and land voyage of over a . . . — — Map (db m30194) HM
On site chosen July 2, 1731, for "government houses" by people of San Fernando de Bexar, including newly-arrived settlers from the Canary Islands. Structure, erected 1742, had to be rebuilt in 1779 by Don Jose Antonio Curbelo, alcalde of the Villa . . . — — Map (db m20332) HM
"The church...is a large, beautiful gallery of three vaults with a very pretty cupola...for its size and good taste, it could be the parish church of a great town."
Fr. Juan Agustín de Morfi, 1777-78
The church was central to the . . . — — Map (db m34077) HM
There is something in the nature of man that will not tolerate the unexplored. Always he finds his perimeter of ground too small, and restless stirrings prod his feet until he has gazed from every peak.
Following this elusive music hundreds of . . . — — Map (db m30215) HM
"From this roof one can hunt without risk, in comfort and with good success. I saw so many ducks, geese, and cranes in a nearby field that, as I said, they covered the ground, and so close to the house that it would be impossible to miss the . . . — — Map (db m34065) HM
Colonel Jeremiah Y. Dashiell, a physician who served as paymaster in the U.S.-Mexico War, bought this land on the San Antonio River in 1849. Dashiell was stationed in South Carolina in 1856, when he sent his wife and daughter money and instructions . . . — — Map (db m82892) HM
Occurred in this vicinity on September 18, 1842 when Captain Nicholas Mosby Dawson and 53 men from La Grange, in attempting to join Captain Mathew Caldwell (Old Paint) and his company of Texas volunteers during the Battle of the Salado, were . . . — — Map (db m85981) HM
The Alamo in 1836 consisted of this church, the convent and a large rectangular area or plaza, an enclosure of about six acres surrounded by walls with barracks on the west side of the plaza. On February 23, 1836 Colonel William Barret Travis . . . — — Map (db m9224) HM
Erected as a school for children of German settlers, these historic buildings have served numerous educational and cultural purposes:
1858 – German–English school founded by "The Lateiner”, a group of German intellectuals. . . . — — Map (db m82882) HM
Beautification of the San Antonio River was a long-time dream of local residents who urged city officials to improve the river through the downtown area. These efforts were just beginning when devastating floods caused widespread damage in 1913 . . . — — Map (db m119898) HM
This region was inhabited by native peoples from early times. Among them were the Payayas, who lived along a river they called Yanaguana. On June 13, 1691, Franciscan Father Damián Massanet arrived and christened the river San Antonio de Padua in . . . — — Map (db m31015) HM
This road linked the mission of San Antonio with each other and with the rest of Texas and Mexico. The Mission Road carried information, supplies and trade goods, and warnings of attack or danger. Some of the travel routes used by residents of the . . . — — Map (db m33985) HM
One of early stone residences of San Antonio. First floor and basement were built as early as 1857 when place was owned by Attorney Newton A. Mitchell and wife Catherine (Elder).
Louis Oge (1832-1915) bought house in 1881, after migrating . . . — — Map (db m118910) HM
San Antonio grew from a small Spanish colonial town to a bustling American city between 1800 and 1900. Years of fighting for independence - first from Spain and then from Mexico - left San Antonio in ruins.
Rebuilding began during the Republic . . . — — Map (db m119619) HM
The San Antonio River became a muddy, trash filled eyesore in the early 1900s. Alarmed city leaders rallied to save the beloved waterway by clearing away mud and debris, planting grass, and pumping water into the empty channel. Civic organizations, . . . — — Map (db m119598) HM
The San Antonio River begins four miles north of here, fed by springs that rise from the Edwards Aquifer deep below the Texas Hill Country. The river is also fed by tributaries along its winding, southeasterly course to join the Guadalupe River . . . — — Map (db m119617) HM
The San Antonio River begins four miles north of here, fed by springs that rise from the Edwards Aquifer deep below the Texas Hill Country. The river is also fed by tributaries along its winding, southeasterly course to join the Guadalupe River . . . — — Map (db m125627) HM
First of four major engagements of the War for Texas Independence, this sanguinary battle ended a siege of six weeks. The assault began at dawn, Dec. 5. 300 volunteers (Texans, Mexicans, and Americans) under Cols. Frank W. Johnson and Benjamin R. . . . — — Map (db m30211) HM
Symbol that stands for the unity and friendship that exists between Mexico, the United States and Canada
When designing the sculpture, I thought of creating a symbol of light and I came up with the idea of a torch that stands tall to evoke . . . — — Map (db m31848) HM
This property was the site of a small caliche house that stood at 105 Nacional Street. Because of its poor condition, the house was demolished during the restoration of La Villita in 1939. The property had been owned by José Maria Monjaras and . . . — — Map (db m82914) HM
Mexico’s last invasion of the Republic of Texas alarmed San Antonio on Sept. 11, 1842, when Gen. Adrian Woll and 1300 troops struck the city from the west.
Awakened by booming cannon, 56 Texians (including judge, jurors, and citizens in town to . . . — — Map (db m30325) HM
This noble cottonwood grew on the bank of an acequia dug by the Franciscan Fathers. That ancient, historic canal flowed on the East side of the Alamo (Mission San Antonio de Velero) and through this patio. — — Map (db m30598) HM
Founded by the Rev. John Wesley DeVilbiss (1818-83), missionary to Republic of Texas, who in 1844 preached first Protestant sermon ever heard in San Antonio and in June 1846 organized his congregation in the courthouse. Villagers called him "the . . . — — Map (db m132555) HM
County leaders purchased land on the west bank of the San Antonio River in 1859, intending to build a new courthouse and jail. Their plans changed and the property was sold in 1866 to a miller, Jacob Laux, who dammed the river and built a . . . — — Map (db m119162) HM
Irish immigrant John Twohig built his house here on the San Antonio River in the late 1840s. A suspended footbridge connected the house with his business on the opposite side of the river.
Twohig became known as the “breadline . . . — — Map (db m119550) HM
San Antonians had few places to educate their children before 1851 when Catholic Bishop Jean Marie Odin recruited members of the Order of St. Ursula to start a school for girls on the river at the northern edge of town.
The school grew quickly, . . . — — Map (db m118168) HM
In 1941, the War Department announced the creation of the 99th Pursuit Squadron, the first all-African American combat unit in the Army Air Forces. This unit trained at Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. Fifty African-American Kelly workers (49 men and . . . — — Map (db m59349) HM
Pensacola – Mobile
New Orleans – Houston
El Paso – Tucson – Yuma
Governor Pat M. Neff
March 27, 1924
Erected by the
San Antonio City Federation
of . . . — — Map (db m60767) HM