Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

San Leandro, California Historical Markers

 
A Zoo, a Monkey, and a Mansion Here Too! Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, February 3, 2014
A Zoo, a Monkey, and a Mansion Here Too! Marker
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — A Zoo, a Monkey, and a Mansion Here Too!Lake Chabot Historical Walk
Since the operation of Chabot reservoir in 1876, four different water companies have managed the lake. Their staff led colorful lives on this hill as they kept an eye on this valuable resource. In 1904, William Dingee, then head of CCWC, tore . . . — Map (db m71707) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Casa Peralta
Three descendants of land grant recipient Luís Maria Peralta lived in this home. In 1926, Herminia Peralta Dargie (pictured above) remodeled the home in the style of a Spanish villa. Tiles depict the story of Don Quixote, and adobe bricks saved from . . . — Map (db m26398) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Chabot Dam
Chabot Dam, originally called San Leandro Dam, was built by Anthony Chabot who started Contra Coast Water Company in 1868. When artesian wells and Temescal and Sausal Creeks failed to bring Oakland and surrounding cities enough water he decided to . . . — Map (db m71714) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — County Courthouse1868
The Alameda County Courthouse stood here between 1856 and 1868. In 1853 Alameda County was carved out of Contra Costa and Santa Clara Counties. New Haven was its first county seat. The 1854 legislative session moved the county seat to more . . . — Map (db m26418) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area. In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris Birkland . . . — Map (db m26459) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 279 — Estudillo Home
Site of the last home of José Joaquin Estudillo, grantee of Rancho San Leandro and his wife, Juana Martínez de Estudillo. It was built about 1850. The family founded San Leandro, built a hotel, and donated several lots, including the original site . . . — Map (db m100549) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Filtration BasinsLake Chabot Historical Walk
Public outcry led Oakland councilman George Pardee, who later became Governor of California, to campaign Contra Costa Water Company for a clean reliable water system. The Hyatt filters were installed, along with pump houses and filtration basins, to . . . — Map (db m113822) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Giant Water FiltersLake Chabot Historical Walk
The giant drums in front of you were designed and built in 1888 as part of the filtration plant that processed water from Lake Chabot. Water was forced through these sand filters to remove impurities. Named after the engineer who designed them, the . . . — Map (db m71649) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Historic Best Building1910
The Best Building is a significant example of commercial architecture in San Leandro and the only San Leandro Plaza building remaining from the early decades of the 20th century. As a manufacturer and inventor, Daniel Best had already contributed . . . — Map (db m54740) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Historic Daniel & Meta Best Home1886
This home was built in the late 1870’s by Joseph Demont, a San Leandro pioneer who was active in industry and politics. Daniel Best bought the property in 1886. Best established Daniel Best Agricultural Works, which later became Caterpillar Tractor. . . . — Map (db m26380) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Lake Chabot Historical WalkWelcome time travelers!
In February 1874 a large Chinese work force entered this woodland setting to begin construction of San Leandro Reservoir. Later renamed Lake Chabot after its French-Canadian originator Anthony Chabot, the dam was built using techniques Chabot . . . — Map (db m71648) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Masonic Temple
On August 21, 1909, the cornerstone (containing the lists of the Grand Officers and past Masters of Eden Lodge, documents relating to the new temple, copies of local newspapers, old coins and a Bible that had been carried by John Hamilton through . . . — Map (db m54746) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Masonic Temple Building1910
The Masonic Temple Building was dedicated on April 15, 1910 and still serves as the home of Eden Lodge #113 of the Freemasons. The Eden Lodge was instituted in San Leandro in 1857, the first fraternal order established here. This three-story . . . — Map (db m54747) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Memorial to the Chinese LaborersLake Chabot Historical Walk
The Alameda County Historical Society dedicates this panel to: Ah Bing – 41, Kim Yuen – 29, Toy Sing – 31, and Lock Sing – 33, who died outside this tunnel. This panel is also dedicated to the countless unnamed and . . . — Map (db m71651) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Of Fins and FlippersLake Chabot Historical Walk
How do you climb the wall of a dam using fins? The dam blocked the natural migratory route of the steelhead trout, prohibiting them from swimming up San Leandro Creek to spawn in their natural habitat, what is now upper San Leandro Reservoir and . . . — Map (db m71713) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Peralta Home – Alta Mira Club1860
This house was built by William Toler for his father-in-law Ygnacio Peralta. It may be the first brick house in Alameda County. Peralta and his brothers established the first Spanish/Mexican settlements in the northern East Bay on the land grant . . . — Map (db m26471) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 285 — Peralta House
First brick house built in Alameda County. Constructed 1860 by W. R. Toler for Ignacio Peralta, early San Leandro Spanish settler, whose father, Don Luis Maria Peralta, received land grant from Spanish Governor Don Pablo Vicente de Sola, October 20, . . . — Map (db m100550) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 246 — Rancho San Antonio
Governor Pablo de Solá, last Spanish Governor of California, awarded the San Antonio Grant to Don Luis Maria Peralta on August 13, 1820, in recognition of forty years of service. From this point northward the Grant embraced over 43,000 acres. Now . . . — Map (db m100548) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Roots From Another LandLake Chabot Historical Walk
Many of the trees surrounding you have foreign roots, each with its own tale. In 1868 the Hayward Journal described Chabot’s plans to encircle the reservoir with “walnut, hickory nuts, butternuts, and other eastern and foreign nut . . . — Map (db m71650) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro – Cherry Festivals
West side of marker: San Leandro’s farmers expected a bumper crop of cherries in 1909. Why not celebrate and promote the city and one of its wonderful crops? The first cherry festival took place that spring. The Oakland . . . — Map (db m26458) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro – Industry
West side of marker: San Leandro’s first industries served the needs of farmers. In 1886, Daniel Best bought San Leandro Plow and formed Daniel Best Agriculture Works to manufacture tractors, combines, and harvesters. Best’s son . . . — Map (db m26437) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro Courthouse Site
Courthouse of Alameda County on this site early months of 1855. Moved here officially on March 10, 1856 by act of Legislature February 8, 1856. Site donated for county purposes by Jose Joaquin Estudillo. Courthouse move to Oakland 1873. — Map (db m26411) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 824 — San Leandro Oyster Beds
Oysters were the mainstay of the California fishing industry at the turn of the century. Along this site (the original Mulford Canal) the San Leandro oyster beds flourished. In 1892 William Roberts field title to the beds south along San Lorenzo . . . — Map (db m100559) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Still on Patrol
Three monuments honor the submarines and their crews lost during the Second World War: U.S. Navy Submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 officers and 3121 men are on board these 52 U.S. Submarines . . . — Map (db m94812) WM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Taming the Waters’ FlowLake Chabot Historical Walk
“Aha!” exclaimed Anthony Chabot It was spring of 1866 when he saw the raging waters of San Leandro Creek collide with Grass Valley Creek. He studied the vast surrounding watershed and determined it could nourish a reservoir year-round. . . . — Map (db m71712) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — The Little Brown Church
This building was originally the Sunday School Annex of the First Presbyterian Church of San Leandro. Built in 1867 and located on Clarke Street. The main church was moved to Ashland and later torn down. This annex was saved by the Historical . . . — Map (db m26396) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — To Build a Dam
Underneath the lake lies evidence of the dams construction. The steps on this panel and the next one show how hands and hooves toiled to complete this engineering feat in 1892. The rest of this marker consists of three illustration . . . — Map (db m71734) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Transporting the Water
The Transporting the Water marker consists of an illustration and two photographs accompanied by captions. They captions are presented here, left to right. Click on the image to enlarge it. Hydraulicing: Hydraulics were used to . . . — Map (db m71733) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Tunnel No. 1 Control ShaftLake Chabot Historical Walk
The stone structure before you is a 157 foot vertical control shaft. It joins to Tunnel No. 1 to open and close the flow of water running through the tunnel pipes. Two known accidents took place at this site. Tunnel No. 1 collapsed on two Chinese . . . — Map (db m71908) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Yem-Po: Chinese Labor CampLake Chabot Historical Walk
In 1979 a renovation of Chabot dam unearthed a century-old Chinese encampment buried in the creek embankment below. California State University Hayward (now called California State University, East Bay) was contracted and students excavated over . . . — Map (db m71711) HM

30 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement