Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

San Mateo, California Historical Markers

 
Central Park and The Kohl Pumphouse Marker image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, March 15, 2010
Central Park and The Kohl Pumphouse Marker
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — Central Park and The Kohl Pumphouse
The site of the Central Park is possibly the sole surviving example of the late nineteenth century estates once so numerous on the Peninsula. Charles B. Polhemus, Director of the San Francisco & San Jose Railroad and founder of Central San . . . — Map (db m28712) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — Central Park Veterans Memorial
This monument is dedicated by the citizens of San Mateo in gratitude to the men and women of our community who served courageously and unselfishly in the defense of great national peril and in memory of those citizens who made the supreme sacrifice . . . — Map (db m29183) WM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — Central Park Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m29185) WM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — Central Park Veterans Memorial - Screaming Eagles Grove
In honor of San Mateos adopted sons of the 101st. Airborne Division and native sons and daughters who served proudly in Vietnam and the Persian Gulf. — Map (db m29184) WM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — Central Park Veterans Memorial – Japanese American Combat Team
In Memory of 442nd Japanese American Combat Team and their families "Go For Broke"Map (db m29186) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — 1923 — Central Park Veterans Memorial – World War I
This tree planted May 30th 1923 By San Mateo Post No.82 American Legion In Honor of those who served in World War I 1917 – 1919 — Map (db m29181) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — First Business StructureHistoric House
Two plaques, one above the other First Business Structure Public necessity in 1964 required the demolition of the historic house referred to by the accompanying plaque; this marker is placed to perpetuate its memory and to . . . — Map (db m93314) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — Higurashi-en"Garden Worthy of a Days Contemplation"
This authentic historic oriental garden and tea house was first developed in the 1880's by Peninsula pioneer Henry Bowie. The property later became part of the Eugene de Sabla estate. Joan and Achille Paladini, current owners have restored the . . . — Map (db m93312) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — 47 — Historic Camp SiteJuan Bautista de Anza Expedition
Here on the banks of San Mateo Creek Captain J. B. de Anza camped. March 29,1776, after exploring the peninsula and selecting the sites for the Mission and Presidio of San Francisco. Here also the party of families, soldiers, and priests, on the way . . . — Map (db m18418) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — History of San Mateo’s Bridges
In 1923, the cities of San Mateo, Burlingame, and Hillsborough began planning for a bridge to link the San Francisco Bay peninsula cities with East Bay and Central Valley communities. Even after the Dumbarton Bridge opened, in 1927, these . . . — Map (db m28727) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — 393 — Mission Hospice
Here stood the MISSION HOSPICE built around 1800 by the Spanish Padres on El Camino Real to break the journey from Santa Clara and serve the Indians of Mission Dolores. — Map (db m18417) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — 100 — Morse’s Corners
Originally, Michael Carey’s brick store, 1875 – later acquired by A.T. Bartlett and G. Fisher. C. M. Morse’s Drug Store, also Fisher Hotel. First San Mateo telephone, 1883. First San Mateo Fire Department organized here, 1887. Strebel . . . — Map (db m29548) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — Pacific City
The idea to build an amusement park at this site was conceived by local civic leaders. This park would rival those at Coney Island and Atlantic City. The Pacific City site was 90 acres, stretching from Peninsula Avenue to Burlingame Avenue and . . . — Map (db m28780) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — San Mateo’s First Residents
There are few traces left of San Mateo’s First Residents Before the Europeans arrived, Native Americans living in the San Mateo area were known as the Salson. The Salson have been grouped with the Ohlone or Costanoan people. The Salson . . . — Map (db m29549) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — St. Denis Church and Cemetery
One half mile south of this site stood the first church in San Mateo County. Dedicated in 1853 by Catholic Archbishop Joseph S. Alemany. He named it after St. Denis to honor the founder, Dennis Martin, pioneer lumberman and farmer, who also . . . — Map (db m72481) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement