Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Sandusky, Ohio Historical Markers

 
“The Early Birds” Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
“The Early Birds” Marker
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — “The Early Birds”
Dedicated in memory of those early aviation pioneers “The Early Birds.” Between the years 1910-1917, aviators Weldone B. Cooke and Tom W. Benoist had aeroplane factories and flying schools in Sandusky which had a very important . . . — Map (db m141806) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Cable Park Historic District
Erie County Fairgrounds — 1865-1899 Planned Residential Area developed 1905-1938 by Laurence Cable and sons, Fran and Edward — Map (db m150124) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 17-22 — Cedar Point“The Queen of American Watering Places”
Cedar Point became a popular beach resort in the late 1870s, when visitors traveled to the peninsula by steamboat from Sandusky. The Grand Pavilion (1888), the oldest building in the park, dates from this era. Promoter George Boeckling formed the . . . — Map (db m3026) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 3-22 — Cholera Cemetery / In Honor of the DoctorsIn Honor of the Doctors
Marker Front: Of the city's 5,667 people in 1849, 3,500 fled, and 400 of those remaining were victims of cholera. Most are buried here, some only in rough boxes in a common grave. The scourge came again in 1850 and 1852 but with less toll. . . . — Map (db m79100) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Cooke-Dorn House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places" by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m90652)
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Donahue Hardware
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m117808) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 29-22 — Erie County Jail / Sandusky Library
The Erie County Jail was built in 1882-1883 in the Gothic style. Constructed of blue limestone, the $45,750 facility featured 26 cells, the sheriff’s residence, and boasted then modern innovations including chrome steel bars and safety . . . — Map (db m141925) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 7-22 — Fort Sandusky
Erected by the British near this junction in 1761; destroyed during Pontiac's Conspiracy of 1763. The fort was strategically located near Indian towns and trading posts on the Great Indian trail between Detroit and Pittsburgh. — Map (db m20435) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — G.A. Boeckling Building
This building served as Cedar Point's winter offices from 1928 and after for Mr. Boeckling, the entrepreneur who first developed the resort into an amusement park. Because the Bay freezes in the winter, this site offered a convenient location to . . . — Map (db m117811) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 5-22 — Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital was formed for the purpose of maintaining and operating an institution for the sick and injured. Under the direction of Rev. William W. Farr and Mr. C.C. Keech, the cornerstone was laid June 27, 1876. The hospital was . . . — Map (db m142163) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 9-22 — Grace Episcopal Church
This building was begun in 1835 and was completed in 1844. It is the oldest church building in continual use in Sandusky and incorporates a portion of the original structure. This marker commemorated the one hundred fiftieth anniversary of the . . . — Map (db m79103) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 30-22 — Holy Angels Catholic Church
Holy Angels Catholic Church is the mother church of Sandusky. Reverend Joseph P. Machebeuf, a French Missionary, began ministering to Catholics in the Sandusky area in late 1839. Soon after William H. Mills offered five lots, $530, and the . . . — Map (db m142162) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Hubbard Building
Owned by Lester Hubbard, this Romanesque building was built in 1855 and was designed by architect Sheldon Smith who later occupied the 3rd floor. It was home to the Cosmopolitan Art and Literary Association, a national organization devoted to the . . . — Map (db m117809) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Jay Cooke
Jay Cooke was born on this site August 10, 1821. Financier and promoter of The Northern Pacific Railroad, he sold bonds to finance the Union during the Civil War 1861-1865. — Map (db m117804) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 23-22 — Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse
"Jury of Erie County Women, First to be Impaneled Under Federal Suffrage" proclaimed the headline of the Sandusky Register on August 28, 1920. One of the first female Court of Common Pleas juries in the nation was impaneled in Erie County on August . . . — Map (db m79097) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 8-22 — Kilbourne Plat
Hector Kilbourne, a Freemason and the surveyor who make the original plat of Sandusky (as Portland) in 1816, laid out the streets to form the Masonic emblem. Huron and Central Avenue are the arms of the compass, Elm and Poplar Streets the sides of . . . — Map (db m79104) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Knute Rockne Wedding
Legendary University of Notre Dame Head Football Coach Knute Rockne married Bonnie Skiles of Kenton, Ohio in the rectory of Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church on July 15, 1914. Father William F. Murphy officiated. The two met in the summer of . . . — Map (db m141931) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 15-22 — Ohio Veterans HomeOhio Soldiers and Sailors home 1888-1979
Following the Civil War, many of Ohio's disabled and wounded veterans found inadequate provisions for their long-term needs. In response, the Grand Army of the Republic's Department of Ohio lobbied for a state-operated veterans' home. In 1886 . . . — Map (db m79101) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 19-22 — Ohio Veterans HomeOhio Soldiers and Sailors home 1888-1979
Following the Civil War, many of Ohio's disabled and wounded veterans found inadequate provisions for their long-term needs. In response, the Grand Army of the Republic's Department of Ohio lobbied for a state-operated veterans' home. In 1886 . . . — Map (db m79102) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 22-22 — Old Perkins Cemetery
Using the power of eminent domain, the United States Government purchased 9,000 acres of land in Perkins Township, Erie County, Ohio to build the Plum Brook Ordnance Plant in 1941, displacing many families and businesses. This tract included the . . . — Map (db m79099) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 18-22 — Old Sandusky Post Office
This U.S. Post Office building, Sandusky’s third, opened in 1927, replacing a smaller building at Columbus Avenue and Market Street. It is notable for its fine Neoclassical-style architecture and its unusual curved portico. It was added to the . . . — Map (db m141801) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Oran Follett
Residence of Oran Follett, 1798–1894. Editor – Railroad Official – Publisher Lincoln-Douglas Debates. A worthy Citizen. — Map (db m142007) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — SanduskyFounded 1817
An Indian camp formerly called Ogontz Place by Chief Ogontz of the Ottawa Tribe. Sandusky, founded 1817 by Hon. Zalmon Wildman, Judge Isaac Mills, George Hoadley. Incorporated 1824, Dr. George Anderson, Aaron C. Corbet, Cyrus W. Marsh, Alexander . . . — Map (db m142010) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Sandusky / Erie County
Sandusky. • Early Indian village of Ogontz; also French & British trading post. • 1816 – platted as town of Portland; English version of Indian name, “San Dus Tee,” adopted in 1818. • First Connecticut . . . — Map (db m79098) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Sandusky Aviation, Shipyard & Railroad
First Marker Weldon B. Cooke, Thomas W. Benoist, Reinhardt N. Asumus experimented in early aviation from this site 1912 - 1927.

Second Marker One of Sandusky Shipyard Sites Sail and Steamboats were built 1864-1933 Among the . . . — Map (db m90709) HM

Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 6-22 — Sandusky’s First Congregation — 1818
The Methodist Episcopal Church pioneered organized religion in Perkins Township 1811, then in Sandusky when the Rev. Alfred Brunson preached the city’s first sermon in January, 1818. In 1829 the Methodists built Sandusky’s first church, on West . . . — Map (db m142005) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Shoreline Park
Piers were in existence here as early as 1846. Later three long piers were built by the Baltimore and Ohio Railway for commercial use. Iron ore, grain, lumber, sand, crushed stone and packaged freight were shipped from this point. The B&O Railway . . . — Map (db m90708) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — State Theatre
Originally, this site housed the West House, a hotel which sometimes sheltered the guards for Johnson's Island, the Confederate officers' prison camp across Sandusky Bay. The building was erected by William F. Seitz and his sons as a complete . . . — Map (db m117810) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — The Boy with the Boot
The Boy with the Boot is the official symbol of the City of Sandusky. This statue is a replica of the 1895 original which stood in this fountain for many years. Produced by the J. W. Fiske Ironworks, New York City, the historic statue is now in the . . . — Map (db m141893) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — The Hinde & Dauch Paper Company
In 1862 James J. Hinde and Jacob J. Dauch established a baling business to sell straw to paper mills, and in 1886 they became partners in a bankrupt mill on Pierce Street then known as the Sandusky Paper Company. Under their leadership the company . . . — Map (db m90651) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — The Underground Railroad / Abolition Boats Provide an Escape to Freedom in Erie County
Marker Front: The Underground Railroad was neither underground nor a railroad, but a system of loosely connected safe havens where those escaping the brutal conditions of slavery were sheltered, fed, clothed, nursed, concealed, disguised, and . . . — Map (db m79108) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — This Concretion
This concretion was formed in sedimentary deposits over the ages. An unusually large specimen, it was found in 1911 on Mills Street and brought to this site at the behest of Professor E.L. Moseley, who was noted for his studies of Lake Erie and his . . . — Map (db m142013) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Underground Railroad
Many homes in Sandusky and other parts of Erie County were stations on the Underground Railroad before and during the Civil War. Residents provided food, shelter, clothing, and transportation to Canada. Harriet Beecher Stowe used Sandusky as the . . . — Map (db m79105) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Village of Venice1816-1963
[Marker Front]: The first Venice flour mill was built on this site in 1822. Russell Heywood of Buffalo bought the mill in 1831 and rebuilt it in 1833. Fed by water from underground springs, the mill was in almost constant operation. . . . — Map (db m20476) HM

34 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 10, 2020