In early Texas had Apache, Comanche, Kiowa camps and mountain lookouts. White settlement began at Camp Colorado, U.S. 2nd Cavalry post on Jim Ned Creek, 1857. County was created Feb. 1, 1858. Named for Robert M. Coleman (1799-1837), a signer of . . . — — Map (db m94526) HM
The Daugherty family moved west in the late 1870s to
Coleman County from present Forney in Kaufman County, where Emma was born. At age 14 she left home to finish school and obtain a teaching certificate in Goldthwaite. She married lawman and . . . — — Map (db m94580) HM
Founded in 1894, this congregation worshiped in various places until members purchased this lot in 1900 and began construction of their own building. The Rev. E.M. Douthit and the Rev. B.B. Sanders led the dedication ceremonies in April 1901. A . . . — — Map (db m94548) HM
Missouri native John Banister left home in 1867 and
came to Texas. He received training as a cowboy and
participated in several cattle drives to northern
markets. Banister served with his brother, Will, as a Texas Ranger and participated in . . . — — Map (db m94579) HM
This site was claimed in 1857 under a Republic of Texas land certificate held by former State representative Darwin Stapp of Victoria County. In 1869 he sold the tract to another absentee owner. By tradition, this house was built in the 1870s by . . . — — Map (db m94549) HM
Opened in 1850s for supply trains and cavalry travel along line of U.S. forts from Belknap on the Brazos to Fort Mason and to Fort Clark near the Rio Grande.
Along this road passed great men, including Col. Robert E. Lee, later (1861-65) . . . — — Map (db m94425) HM
With the construction of the Santa Fe railroad in 1886, the town of Santa Anna grew rapidly and developed as a cattle shipping point. According to oral history, W.C. Brooks was the first person buried in the Santa Anna Cemetery before the railroad . . . — — Map (db m94547) HM
Mountain and town named in honor of man in power here in 1840’s, a Comanche chief friendly to Texans. Santa Anna in 1846 visited President Polk in Washington during U.S. negotiations to annex Texas. Also signed and kept until his death of cholera in . . . — — Map (db m94527) HM
The first community in this vicinity began as a Baptist church settlement founded in 1900. The vast ranch land of the area was divided into lots beginning about 1905. Early settlers called the community “Double Gates” because there were . . . — — Map (db m91742) HM
Stonemason T.T. Perry arrived in Santa Anna about 1890 and, using the rock from the twin peaks above the town, helped carve the history of the town in stone. Perry fashioned many of the landmark buildings in Santa Ann where he worked and was buried . . . — — Map (db m94578) HM
Built 1886 by an attorney from Mississippi. Colonial architecture. House was enlarged from 8 to 12 rooms after 1903 purchase by Fred W. Turner, rancher and oilman.
This was gathering place for area social and business leaders.
Recorded . . . — — Map (db m94529) HM
Thomas T. Perry
Thomas T. Perry was born March 12, 1853 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He came to San Antonio, Texas, as a young man, learning the craft of stone while masonry working for the Southern . . . — — Map (db m94577) HM