35 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Saratoga Springs
By Steve Stoessel, June 23, 2019
Looking back down Phila Street towards marker
|In this low-lying neighborhood
a lively Jewish enclave of stores
markets, hotels and boarding houses
catered to NYC summer visitors
here for the healing springs. — — Map (db m135687) HM|
Erected 1832 on the site of
the Log Cabin Inn of Alexander
Bryan Revolutionary Scout
— — Map (db m61668) HM|
| Discovered in 1803 by Gideon Putnam while clearing land around Congress Park. Purchased by John Clark in 1823, he constructed a Grecian pavillion over it in 1840.
The City and Historical Society rebuilt the structure in 1981.
Presently the . . . — — Map (db m40625) HM|
|Historic Congress Park incorporates an early park, a former gambling casino, the site of one of Saratoga Springs’ great hotels, and several historic sculptures.
Gideon Putnam founded this part of Saratoga Springs, the “Lower . . . — — Map (db m36633) HM|
|Congress Spring was discovered in 1792 by Nicholas Gilman, a member of Congress. It was tubed by Gideon Putnam, an early developer of
Saratoga Springs. Dr. John Clark purchased the spring in 1826, bottled the water, and shipped it throughout the . . . — — Map (db m131587) HM|
|Years of over-pumping had depleted the natural aquifers of spring water. In 1911, the State of New York claimed ownership of the
springs and formed the Saratoga Springs Reservation Commission, which included the area of High Rock. In 1960, . . . — — Map (db m131584) HM|
|Drawn by hotel & railroad work, Irish & then Italian immigrants populated this special neighborhood from the 1840s through the 1890s — — Map (db m131562) HM|
|Franklin Square remains virtually as it appeared at the turn of the century, and is surrounded by buildings dating back to as early as the 1830's. Many belonging to the prominent Marvin family important in the history of Saratoga Springs, but . . . — — Map (db m131744) HM|
|African-American social reformer spoke at Dean's Corners school house June 9, 1849 to a crowd of Quaker abolitionists — — Map (db m131564) HM|
|Gideon Putnam (1763-1812) early settler and founding father. Developed Saratoga from wilderness to famous spa. Putnam donated this land and was the first to be buried here. The stone wall surrounds the Putnam family plot.
National Register of . . . — — Map (db m131685) HM|
|The ceremony in which the cornerstone of the Hall of Springs was laid July 12, 1933, marked the beginning of the New Spa's development. Waters from the Geyser, Hathorn, and Coesa Springs were piped into the Hall of Springs for patrons to drink while . . . — — Map (db m48201) HM|
|In the 1800's thousands of people visited Saratoga Springs to drink the healing waters. In 1848 The Clarke and White Spring Water Company was the first to
commercially bottle High Rock water. They purchased the spring and erected a circular brick . . . — — Map (db m131583) HM|
| THE GOVERNOR
This spring was drilled in 1908. It
was named for Governor Charles Evans Hughes who had recently signed a bill protecting the springs. The water flows
through limestone and clay from a depth of 170 feet. The water is also piped . . . — — Map (db m131579) HM|
| In loving memory Medal of Honor Mausert F.W. III Washington County Died in the service of their country further names not transcribed — — Map (db m131573) WM|
|A 490 million year old fossilized sea bottom. Donated in memory of William Lester, Esq. 1914 — — Map (db m131595) HM|
|The Lincoln Bathhouse was established in 1915, converted from the abandoned Natural Carbonic Gas Company Plant. Although this bathhouse accommodated large numbers of patrons, it could not keep up with the demand, so construction of the Washington . . . — — Map (db m48323) HM|
|The Carousel in Kaydeross Amusement Park, Saratoga Springs was built circa 1904, and carved by Marcus C. llions-"The Master Carver” in the carousel world. Born in Lthuania in 1871, Illions worked as an apprentice woodcraver at the age . . . — — Map (db m131642) HM|
|Site of the first meeting of the New York State County Highway Superintendent Association Held in 1909 at the Worden Hotel. All 57 Counties Present. — — Map (db m50803) HM|
|Site of the Walworth home
1823-1952 and was home to
Ellen Hardin Walworth, one
of four founders of the
National Society DAR 1890 — — Map (db m133072) HM|
|Early 1800's H.R. Rowland established saw & grist mill. Area later included limestone quarry, Kiln, stone & plaster mills, farms, homes, and district school — — Map (db m131599) HM|
|In honor of those from Saratoga County who volunteered for service in the Spanish American War,
the Philippine Insurrection and the China Relief Expedition.
(names were not transcribed) — — Map (db m135728) WM|
Not for themselves
but for their country
Saratoga honors the men
who fought for and maintained
the Union of the States. — — Map (db m135689) WM|
By the 20th century, Saratoga's waters were celebrated throughout the nation. Tourists to Saratoga and the public at large were pursuing a healthy lifestyle that included a proper diet and exercise. Even Theodore Roosevelt was an ardent promoter . . . — — Map (db m130056) HM|
| Called by the Mohawk Indians
the Medicine Spring now known as
the High Rock Spring. The first whiteman to visit this spring was Sir William Johnson in 1767.
Gen. George Washington, Gov. George Clinton and Alexander Hamilton visited Gen. . . . — — Map (db m131581) HM|
| Saratoga is blessed with naturally carbonated mineral springs. These waters originate in bedrock layers 100 to 1000 feet below the earth’s surface and rise through a crack in the earth called the McGregor Fault. Carbon dioxide gas in the water . . . — — Map (db m140776) HM|
Born 1808 A Free Man. Lured
from Saratoga, kidnapped &
sold into slavery, 1841;
rescued, 1853. Author,
"Twelve Years A Slave".
City of Saratoga Springs 1999
— — Map (db m50385) HM|
November 18, 1883
— • —
Charles F. Dowd, Ph.D.
1825 - 1904
— — Map (db m50510) HM|
|The Seventy-Seventh Regiment, New York Volunteers
(Bemis Heights Battalion)
Third Brigade, Second Division, Sixth Corps.
Army of the Potomac.
1861 —— * —— 1865
Took part in all the campaigns of the Army of the . . . — — Map (db m40658) HM|
| The Deer Park Spring, originally known as the Fresh Water Spring, was tubed in 1876 when the Congress and Empire Spring Water Company improved the southern end of Congress Park. At that time, the pond and surrounding area included an enclosed fence . . . — — Map (db m131588) HM|
| In 1900, Richard Canfield, owner of the Canfield Casino, hosted a visit from his friend Charles W Eliot, president of Harvard University. As Eliot's hobby was garden landscaping, he suggested that the park be improved by the addition of gardens and . . . — — Map (db m131644) HM|
|The story of Saratoga Springs starts at this location, High Rock Park and the famous High Rock Spring. The Mohawks visited this site for hundreds of years and drank the healing waters from the spring. In 1771, the Mohawks brought their trusted . . . — — Map (db m131582) HM|
|These gates were erected by citizens of Saratoga Springs in recognition of the work of Senator Edgar Truman Brackett, in conceiving the plan, drafting, and pressing to passage in the Legislature of the State of New York, the act creating the State . . . — — Map (db m153128) HM|
|Built 1901 by W.C. Whitney. Named for son H. P. Whitney, a ten-goal polo player. Abandoned to farmland:1934; found and rebuilt 1978-79 — — Map (db m131628) HM|
|On this site stood the Winans-Crippen House. Prominent local architect J. D. Stevens, who also
designed the. United States Hotel and the Grand Central Hotel on Broadway, designed the freestanding wood-framed townhouse in the Second Empire style in . . . — — Map (db m131743) HM|
|Dedicated 1931 by American Legion Aux. Unit 70. Site of the 1882 Congress Spring Victorian band stand. — — Map (db m131590) HM WM|