In Loving Memory to These Pioneers Who “Held the Ribbons” but Have Turned the Bend in this Road
One of the best known and beloved men in California
Williamson Lyncoya Smith • Aug 6. 1830. Born on a plantation on the James . . . — — Map (db m1177) HM
Peter Hoff’s butcher shop stood on this site. It was a wood-frame building built in 1855. The establishment, known for awhile as the City Meat Market, was destroyed by fire in 1878. The cavity in the hill side was a cold storage room. Snow was . . . — — Map (db m70431) HM
This barn was built in the late 1850’s by Thomas and Mary Coyle. It originally stood in the old Trinity Center and, for a time, was used to shelter guest’s horses at the Holland House Hotel on the road to Oregon. In 1959, when flooding of old . . . — — Map (db m96938) HM
This gallows is a restoration of the one on which John Baker and Charles Crouch were hanged on August 26, 1974, for the crime of murder. Before being hanged, and with permission of the officials, John Baker sang the following song: . . . — — Map (db m70428) HM
By serving the daily needs of the area, Frank Litsch’s general merchandise store gives us a rare look into the lives of the people living in Shasta during the years of 1873 to 1900. As these lives were in transition, so was the store. Goods . . . — — Map (db m70430) HM
On this site, in May 1852, a group of Shasta merchants met with William H. Noble to employ him as a guide over a direct route he had marked as an immigrant trail. This meeting resulted in the establishment of the Noble's Trail.
Rededicated . . . — — Map (db m112612) HM
Charles, infant son of George and Helena Cohn Brownstein of Red Bluff, died December 14, 1864. He was buried near land established by the Shasta Hebrew Congregation as a Jewish Cemetery in 1857. One of the earliest such cemeteries in the region. . . . — — Map (db m57826) HM
Founded 1849 as Reading's Springs. Named Shasta June 8, 1850. Second county seat Shasta County 1851-1888. Metropolis Northern California during 1850's. End road and beginning Oregon Pack Trail until 1861. Present home Western Star Lodge No. 2. F. & . . . — — Map (db m57820) HM
Building erected in 1855 by James Loag, pioneer, following fire of 1853 which destroyed town. Building refitted and became court house for Shasta County, January 1862. In May of 1888 county seat moved to Redding. Building purchased 1922 by McCloud . . . — — Map (db m1180) HM
The Southside Ruins marker consists of 9 plaques which depict the history of these former Shasta business buildings and the history of the town of Shasta itself. The 9 plaques are in groups of three, four and two and are presented below from east . . . — — Map (db m70582) HM
A Traditional American Barn
This barn was built in the late 1850s by Thomas and Mary Coyle. It originally stood in the old Trinity Center and was used to shelter horses at the Holland House Hotel, on the road to Oregon.
Rescued From . . . — — Map (db m70580) HM
Oldest Chartered Masonic Lodge in California
Free and Accepted Masons
Originally chartered by the most worshipful Grand Lodge of Missouri, A F and A M
May 10th AL5848 (1848)
Dedicated in due and ancient form this 10th day of May AL5998 . . . — — Map (db m1137) HM
The oldest Masonic Lodge in the State of California. Chartered by the most worshipful Grand lodge of Missouri on the 10th of May, 1848.
This building was dedicated on Saint John’s day, the 27th of December, 1854 and has been in continuous use by . . . — — Map (db m70429) HM