Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Shelburne, Vermont Historical Markers

 
<i>Danby Water Fountain</i> Commemorative Inscription image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., October 7, 2017
Danby Water Fountain Commemorative Inscription
Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Danby Water Fountain, Before 1911 — Unidentified maker — Iron
. . . — Map (db m109169) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Flat World, 2008 — Aaron T Stephan (Portland, Maine, b. 1974- ) — Cast iron. Courtesy of the artist and Samsψρ Projects, Boston

Aaron T Stephan believes that most world globes are relics of the past, arguing that they "fail to represent the complexities of globalization, world growth, and the interrelations of cultures and peoples." Comprised of twenty cast iron . . . — Map (db m109011) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Ticonderoga

History The steamboat Ticonderoga is America's last remaining side paddlewheel passenger steamer with a vertical beam engine. Commissioned by the Champlain Transportation Company, the Ticonderoga was built in 1906 at the . . . — Map (db m109149) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — An Intentional Landscape

Shelburne Museum's gardens and grounds, like its other collections, are designed to offer enjoyment, information, and an opportunity for relaxation and reflection. Museum founder Electra Havemeyer Webb (1888-1960) worked with Long Island . . . — Map (db m109492) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Apothecary Shop — Constructed on-site: 1959

The Apothecary Shop represents a late 19th-century druggist's shop. Prior to the Civil War, druggists gathered and dried herbs, grinding, distilling, and mixing them with a variety of substances to create medicinal remedies. By 1900, . . . — Map (db m109129) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Beach Gallery — Constructed on-site: 1960 • Rebuilt: 2008

Beach Gallery and Beach Lodge are designed to resemble an Adirondack camp. Named for William and Marie Beach, longtime hunting companions of J. Watson Webb (1884-1960) and Electra Havemeyer Webb (1888-1960), the log buildings were constructed . . . — Map (db m109383) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Beach Lodge — Constructed on-site: 1960

Beach Gallery and Beach Lodge are designed to resemble an Adirondack camp. Named for William and Marie Beach, longtime hunting companions of Electra and J. Watson Webb, the log buildings were constructed on-site using timber from Nehasane, the . . . — Map (db m109430) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Blacksmith Shop — Ca. 1800 • Shelburne, Vermont — Moved to Museum: 1956

In the 18th and 19th centuries communities depended heavily on the village blacksmith as the primary source for tools, utensils, hardware, vehicle parts, and many other items. Many blacksmiths also served as farriers, . . . — Map (db m109099) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Colchester Reef Lighthouse Relocation

In testimony to the courage and ability of

Robert Francis, Foreman Donald Francis • Wayne Spear • Nathan Johnson Clifford Francis • Forrest Emmons

This lighthouse was dismantled on Colchester Reef, . . . — Map (db m109472) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Covered Bridge — 1845 • Cambridge, Vermont • Moved to Museum: 1950-1951

Measuring 168 feet in length with two vehicle lanes and a footpath, the Covered Bridge spanned the Lamoille River for more than one hundred years. The bridge's system of parallel-chord trusses and arches, which act in concert to support both . . . — Map (db m109489) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Diamond Barn — 19th century • Move to site: 1954

The distinctive diamond-shaped interior framing of this structure gives Diamond Barn its name. The building has housed a variety of exhibits, from brass foundry patterns to folk art. Today, the lower level of the building serves as a seasonal . . . — Map (db m109442) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Dorset House — Ca. 1832 • East Dorset, Vermont — Original Owner: Welcome Allen • Moved to Museum: 1953

This classic example of Greek Revival architecture originally served as a two-family house for the children of Welcome Allen. The Allens, who owned an iron foundry, built their home in the latest fashion, utilizing stoves for heat rather than . . . — Map (db m109484) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Dutton House — 1782 • Cavendish, Vermont • Original Owner: Salmon Dutton — Moved to Museum: 1950

Built in 1782 by Salmon Dutton, this house—the first dwelling brought to the Museum—was dismantled and moved from Cavendish, Vermont, in 1950. Dutton, who emigrated from Massachusetts, was a surveyor, town official, and toll road . . . — Map (db m109159) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Electra Havemeyer Webb Memorial Building — Constructed on-site: 1967

This Greek Revival-styled structure was designed to resemble an Orwell, Vermont, farmhouse admired by Museum founder Electra Webb (1888-1960). The interior recreates six rooms from Electra and J. Watson Webb's 1930s Park Avenue, New York City, . . . — Map (db m109474) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — General Store — 1840 • Shelburne, Vermont — Moved to Museum: 1953

For many years, this building served as the Shelburne village post office before it was moved to the Museum intact, on a specially designed railroad track running down Route 7. The ground floor re-creates a late 19th-century general . . . — Map (db m109124) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Hat and Fragrance Textile Gallery — Ca. 1800 • Shelburne, Vermont — Original Owner: Captain Benjamin Harrington • Moved to Museum 1947

The earliest portion of this building was constructed by Captain Benjamin Harrington as a distillery, used to provide alcohol for the Captain's nearby inn. Constructed of hand-hewn timbers and rough planks, the building later served as . . . — Map (db m109082) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Horseshoe Barn — Constructed on-site: 1949

This building was modeled after a unique horseshoe-shaped dairy barn near Georgia, Vermont. It is constructed of hand-hewn beams salvages from twelve barns and stones from two gristmills. The massive structure incorporates 745 timbers, posts, . . . — Map (db m109208) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Horseshoe Barn Annex — Constructed on-site: 1957

The Museum's collection of 19th- and early 20th-century horse-drawn vehicles was initially displayed in Horseshoe Barn. With the addition of more than 150 wagons, sleighs, coaches, and fire equipment, the collection . . . — Map (db m109215) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Jail — 1890 • Castleton, Vermont • Moved to Museum: 1953

The active slate-quarrying industry of Castleton, Vermont, provided ample raw materials for the construction of this holding structure, which houses two cells and a jailer's anteroom. A single barred window admits light into the building, which . . . — Map (db m109228) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Lighthouse — 1871 • Colchester Point, Lake Champlain, Vermont — Moved to Museum: 1952

The Lighthouse was located a mile off Colchester Point in Lake Champlain, marking the location of three reefs: Colchester Reef, Colchester Shoals, and Hogback Reef. The building was designed in 1869 by Albert Dow, a Burlington, Vermont, . . . — Map (db m109444) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Locomotive 220 — 1915 • Moved to Museum: 1960

Locomotive 220 was the last coal-burning steam ten-wheeler used on the Central Vermont Railway. As a medium-sized engine it moved both freight and passenger trains and became known as the [sic] "The Locomotive of Presidents" for its use on . . . — Map (db m109152) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Locomotive 220

The Rail Locomotive No. 220, built in 1915 by the American Locomotive [C]ompany of Schenectady, New York, was the last coal-burning, steam ten-wheeler used on the Central Vermont Railway. As a medium-sized 4-6-0 engine (4 leading wheels, 6 . . . — Map (db m109153) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Meeting House — 1840 • Charlotte, Vermont — Moved to Museum: 1952

Charlotte Meeting House was built by the community's Methodist congregation. The building's architectural details reflect Greek design influences, including the triangular pediment created by cornice moldings. During the building's 112-year . . . — Map (db m109101) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Owl Cottage Activity Center — Constructed on-site: 1956

Originally used for ticketing, information, and the museum store, Owl Cottage today is a lively center for hands-on experiences for children. Toys, books, games, and craft activities engage visitors of all ages. — Map (db m109438) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Pleissner Gallery — Constructed on-site: 1986

The Pleissner Gallery was built to honor Brooklyn-born artist Ogden Minton Pleissner (1905-1983), a close friend of the Webb family who earned national recognition for his work as a war artist, landscape painter, and talented chronicler of . . . — Map (db m109432) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Prentis House — 1773 • Hadley, Massachusetts — Original Owner: John Dickinson • Moved to Museum: 1955

This two-story saltbox home is built around a massive central chimney with seven flues that meet on the second floor in a beehive-shaped form. John Dickinson built Prentis House on four acres where he and his family farmed . . . — Map (db m109157) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Preservation of the Colchester Reef Lighthouse
. . . — Map (db m109471) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Print Shop — Constructed on-site: 1955

Constructed from historic timbers, the Print Shop exhibits a range of printing equipment that might have been found in an early 20th-century small-town print shop, from an 1820s handpress to a 1950 high-speed Heidelberg press. Late 19th-century . . . — Map (db m109207) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Rail Car Grand Isle — 1899 • Wagner Palace Car Company • Moved to Museum: 1960

Dr. William Seward Webb (1851-1926), president of the Rutland Railroad and the Wagner Palace Car Company, lived for part of the year in Shelburne, commuting to New York City in his own private car, the Ellesmere, which was similar to the . . . — Map (db m109371) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Railroad Station — 1890 • Shelburne, Vermont • Moved to Museum: 1959

Built in 1890 by Rutland Railroad President Dr. William Seward Webb (1851-1926), the Railroad Station was originally located near the center of Shelburne to serve passengers of the Central Vermont and Rutland Railroads. Designed by architect . . . — Map (db m109368) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Ron Stowell — Shelburne Museum Staff Member — 1953 - 1995

In appreciation of Ron Stowell Key member of the team that helped create and shape Shelburne Museum — Map (db m109216) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Round Barn — 1901 • Fred Quimby • East Passumpsic, Vermont — Moved to Museum: 1985-1986

The three-story Round Barn was built in 1901 to improve agricultural efficiency on the farm. Hay from the top floor and silage from the central silo dropped through feed chutes to the middle level, where up to sixty cows could be stancioned . . . — Map (db m109520) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Sawmill — Constructed on-site: 1957

The Sawmill building houses the Trescott-Shepard sawmill originally located in South Royalton, Vermont. The water-powered mill was built in the late 1700s on Mill Brook by Jeremiah Trescott and his partner, Captain Stevens. Trescott's . . . — Map (db m109483) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Schoolhouse — Ca. 1840 • Vergennes, Vermont — Moved to Museum: 1947

The one-room Schoolhouse was the first structure moved to the Museum. The building has several distinct classical architectural features, including a projecting bell tower, arched door opening, and sash windows. The structure originally stood . . . — Map (db m109087) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Settlers' House and Barn — 1846 • East Charlotte, Vermont • Moved to Museum: 1955

The Settlers' House is constructed of hand-hewn beech and pine timbers. In the 18th and early 19th centuries, Vermont settlers, loggers, and trappers often built similar temporary log homes. Research suggests that this . . . — Map (db m109479) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Shaker Shed — 1840 • Canterbury, New Hampshire — Moved to Museum: 1951

This building originally served a large Shaker community in Canterbury, New Hampshire, as a one-story horse and carriage stand. The simple, unadorned commercial structure was expanded in 1850 to provide storage space for brooms made and sold by . . . — Map (db m109172) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Shelburne United Methodist Church Memorial

Scripture 1800 • The First Society

Tradition 1834 • The Brick Church

Experience 1872 • The Stone Church

Reason 2000 • The Bicentennial Addition — Map (db m109237) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Smokehouse — Ca. 1820 • Charlotte, Vermont • Moved to Museum: 1949

Smokehouses are small, airtight stone structures where meat was preserved. Traditionally, butchered cuts were salted and then hung in a smokehouse above a smoldering fire of corn cobs and hickory wood. Meats remained in place for several days, . . . — Map (db m109223) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Stagecoach Inn — Ca. 1787 • Charlotte, Vermont — Original Owner: Hezekiah Barnes • Moved to Museum: 1949

Hezekiah Barnes, a U.S. militia captain turned road surveyor, strategically located his inn and trading post in Charlotte on opposite sides of the main stage route from Montreal. Built in the Georgian style, the exterior of the inn features . . . — Map (db m109219) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Stencil House — Ca. 1804 • Columbus, New York • Moved to Museum: 1953 — Original Owner: Melicu and Louisa Tuttle

The Stencil House is typical of small side-gabled homes common in New York and New England. The floor plan groups four rooms around a central chimney. A central front door, flanked by pairs of double-hung windows, opens into a small entrance . . . — Map (db m109132) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Stone Cottage — Ca. 1840 • South Burlington, Vermont — Moved to Museum: 1949

Stone Cottage is constructed of limestone laid in straight courses rather than in the more common scatterstone technique. It was originally built as a farmhand's house; the first tenants were a family of five, including husband and wife, two . . . — Map (db m109083) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — The Parade

Deeded to the town by Capt. Benjamin Harrington April 18, 1807 — Map (db m109235) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — The Rail Car Grand Isle

The Rail Car Grand Isle (1899) was one of the last private cars built by the Wagner Palace Car Co. before Pullman took control of the company at the end of 1899. The car was used by Dr. William Seward Webb and the Rutland Railroad until 1914, . . . — Map (db m109379) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Ticonderoga
1906•Shelburne, Vermont•Original owner: Champlain Transportation Company •Moved to museum: 1955 The 220-foot Ticonderoga is America's last remaining walking beam side-wheel passenger steamer, and a National Historic Landmark. Serving a . . . — Map (db m97385) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Toy Shop — Constructed On-site: ca. 1949

Built adjacent to the Variety Unit to reflect the "continuous architecture" building style common throughout New England, the Toy Shop displays an array of children's playthings: transportation toys, mechanical banks, an operating model train, . . . — Map (db m109085) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Variety Unit — Ca. 1835 • Shelburne, Vermont (in situ)

This brick farmhouse is the only historic structure at the Museum original to the site. A rambling building, its complex structure consists of a series of one- and two-room additions to the original farmhouse in the New England "continuous . . . — Map (db m109086) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Vermont House Gallery — Ca. 1790 • Shelburne, Vermont — Original Owner: Asa R. Slocumb • Moved to Museum: 1950

This intimate stone structure is a conjectural restoration and reconstruction of an original log framed house built in Shelburne in the late 18th century.

Vermont House features Something Old, Something New: Continuity & . . . — Map (db m109158) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m109233) WM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Weaving Shop — Constructed on-site: 1955

Constructed using historic building materials, the Weaving Shop exhibits a variety of hand-spinning and weaving equipment and interprets American textile traditions practiced in a 19th-century weaving shop.

On view are processing . . . — Map (db m109174) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Webb Gallery — Constructed on-site: 1960

This building was designed to complement neighboring historic structures. The main block, flanked by matched wings, echoes the symmetry and scale of nearby Dorset House, and the brick faηade reflects the construction materials of the . . . — Map (db m109476) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Welcome to Shelburne Museum

Shelburne Museum's founder Electra Havemeyer Webb (1888-1960) was a pioneering collector of American folk art who established the Museum in 1947 to celebrate, in her words, "the art of everyday people" and to create "an educational project, . . . — Map (db m109010) HM


51 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.