Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Shelby Charter Township, Michigan Historical Markers

 
"Quality First": The Packard Motor Car Company Marker - left image image, Touch for more information
Photo courtesy of The Packard Motor Car Foundation.
"Quality First": The Packard Motor Car Company Marker - left image
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — "Quality First" The Packard Motor Car Company
Packard is remembered and celebrated by people around the world. No company sold more luxury cars between 1925 and 1942, and the distinctive tombstone-shaped grill was a company trademark. The Packard Motor Car Company was originally . . . — Map (db m137591) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Base of Operations The Lodge at the Proving Grounds
The Lodge is a landmark, just north of the main gates of the Packard Proving Grounds. Designed by famous architect Albert Kahn in the English Cotswold style, it opened in 1928 as the site's base of operations. The site manager and his . . . — Map (db m137579) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Extreme Testing The Packard Endurance Runs
Packard combined luxury and quality like no other automobile. The Packard Motor Car Company continually tested its products, even under extreme conditions. Two 25,000-mile tests were run here on the Packard Proving Grounds track, one in . . . — Map (db m137675) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — In Times of War Packard's "Arsenal of Democracy"
Packard answered the call to arms, turning its automotive expertise to the production of thousands of trucks and Liberty aircraft engines in World War I. The world again turned to Packard's "Master Motor Builders" during World War II, as . . . — Map (db m137634) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Made for Speed The Test Track at the Proving Grounds
The high-speed testing track was the key. The 2 1/2-mile oval had 31-degree banked curves which allowed drivers to reach high speeds. On June 14, 1928, after winning that year's Indianapolis 500, race car driver Leon . . . — Map (db m137683) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — S686 — Packard Motor Car Company / Packard Proving Grounds
Packard Motor Car Company In 1899 brothers James Ward and William Doud Packard founded the Ohio Automobile Company in Warren, Ohio. In 1902 Detroiter Henry Joy and several other local investors purchased the company, moved it to Detroit, and . . . — Map (db m135685) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Packard Proving Grounds Preserving Automotive History
There were wide open spaces here when the Packard Motor Car Company purchased almost a full square mile of land to the west for a new testing facility. The site opened in 1928 with a high-speed 2 1/2-mile oval track . . . — Map (db m137619) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Packard Takes Flight Charles Lindbergh Visits the Proving Grounds
The "Master Motor Builders" at Packard made some of the world's best engines for both automobiles and aircraft. Packard first manufactured aircraft engines during World War I and continued after that war. Packard used the nearly mile-long . . . — Map (db m137673) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — L2183 — Spring Hill Farm / Utica Nike Base
Spring Hill Farm Peter and Sarah Lerich established Spring Hill Farm in the 1830s. Their daughter Liberetta wrote in 1923 that her parents, opponents of slavery, had built a hiding place into a hillside as part of the Underground Railroad. . . . — Map (db m137840) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — The Vincent Family Home at the Proving Grounds
It wasn't just an industrial testing facility. The Proving Grounds was also home to superintendent Charles H. Vincent and his family, from its opening in 1928 to 1942. Charlie and his wife Lucille raised three daughters in the Lodge at the . . . — Map (db m137605) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — L3048 — Utica Cemetery
John and Mary Stead deeded 4.46 acres of land to the Utica Cemetery Association in 1863. Included in that parcel was a section referred to as the "Old Burying Ground" and a family plot called "Stead's Reserve." The first burial occurred in 1817 upon . . . — Map (db m118901) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement