Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Shelbyville, Kentucky Historical Markers

 
James Knox-Pioneer Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, July 14, 2019
James Knox-Pioneer Marker
Kentucky (Shelby County), Shelbyville — 709 — Benj. Logan-Pioneer / James Knox-Pioneer
On Taylorsville Road (Kentucky Route 55) at Brunerstown Road, on the left when traveling north on Taylorsville Road.
Benj. Logan~~Pioneer In French and Indian, Dunmore's, Revolutionary Wars. In 1775 came to Kentucky with Boone, Henderson. Separated at Hazel Patch. Built Logan's Fort (St. Asaph's), 1776. In Virginia Assembly, 1781-87; Ky. conventions to . . . — Map (db m136853) HM
Kentucky (Shelby County), Shelbyville — 2115 — Birthplace of Governor Augustus Owsley Stanley / Stanley-Casey House
On Washington Street (Business Kentucky Route 55) at 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on Washington Street.
Birthplace of Governor Augustus Owsley Stanley A. O. Stanley, Governor of Ky. from 1915-19, was born May 21, 1867, in Shelbyville and lived in this house as a child. The son of Rev. Wm. and Amanda Owsley Stanley, he was school principal . . . — Map (db m136869) HM
Kentucky (Shelby County), Shelbyville — Founder Capt. William Shannon1740 - 1794
On Main Street (Kentucky Route 53) at 5th Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
. . . — Map (db m137303) HM
Kentucky (Shelby County), Shelbyville — 2214 — Lewis and Clark in Kentucky 1806 Return of Expedition / Death of Meriwether Lewis
On Main Street east of 6th Street, on the left when traveling east.
Lewis and Clark in Kentucky 1806 Return of Expedition Meriwether Lewis & William Clark, leaders of the 1803-06 journey to the Pacific, visited Shelbyville several times. In Nov. 1806, on the Expedition's return, Lewis arrived with . . . — Map (db m136887) HM
Kentucky (Shelby County), Shelbyville — 971 — Science Hill School
On Washington Street (Business Kentucky Route 55) at 6th Street, on the right when traveling west on Washington Street.
For 114 continuous years, an outstanding school for girls. Directed by the founder 54 years then by one family 60 years, it ranked among nation's foremost college preparatory schools. Principals Mrs. Julia A. Tevis      1825-1879 W. T. . . . — Map (db m136854) HM
Kentucky (Shelby County), Shelbyville — Shelby County WWI Honor Roll
Near 5th Street south of Main Street (Kentucky Route 53), on the right when traveling south.
This tablet is dedicated in memory of the boys of Shelby County who gave their lives and were wounded in the World War. Those Who Gave Their Lives {List of names} Those Who Were Wounded . . . — Map (db m137633) WM
Kentucky (Shelby County), Shelbyville — 1238 — Shelby County, 1792
On Main Street (U.S. 60) at 5th Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street.
Formed from a part of Jefferson County, it was the third created after Kentucky became a state. Named in honor of Isaac Shelby, 1750-1826, first Kentucky governor, 1792-96; elected again 1812-16. In the Revolutionary War, Indian campaigns, and War . . . — Map (db m136872) HM
Kentucky (Shelby County), Shelbyville — 28 — Squire Boone's Station, 1779
On Main Street (U.S. 60) at 5th Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street.
"Painted Stone" 2½ miles north on Eminence Road, thence, ½ mile west to site on Clear Creek. For nearly 2 years, only large station on the Wilderness Road, between Harrodstown and the Falls of the Ohio River. Ground plan found among papers . . . — Map (db m136884) HM
Kentucky (Shelby County), Shelbyville — 1129 — The Armstrong Hotel
On Main Street (U.S. 60) at 6th Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Established in 1859 by George A. Armstrong and was known for its good food and lodgings. Guerrilla leader Ed Terrell stopped here briefly, May 26, 1866. Attempting to escape, he was mortally wounded nearby. Brigadier General Henry H. Denhardt was . . . — Map (db m136871) HM
Kentucky (Shelby County), Shelbyville — 1089 — The Blockhouse / Martin's Raid
On Main Street (U.S. 60) at 5th Street on Main Street.
The Blockhouse Built in 1858 by townspeople for civil defense against guerrillas. Located in middle of intersection. Measured 12 by 18 feet with loopholes on all sides. Manned by townsmen when alarm sounded. Several encounters with gangs . . . — Map (db m136885) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement