This landmark bridge was completed in September 1924 by the Walsh Construction Company for the C.C.C.&St.L. Railroad, and hailed as a “stupendous piece of engineering work.” The original Bellefontaine and Indiana line went through . . . — — Map (db m29769) HM
This graceful yet sturdy building is of the Italianate design. Shoes have been sold here since 1864, making it Ohio's oldest continuously operating footwear location. William Covill operated his store here in 1870. John Burkhart built the current . . . — — Map (db m29748) HM
Carey's Hall was completed in 1854 by local contractor John W. Carey. Carey's Hall was given as first prize in the Monumental Building lottery in the early 1870s. It housed many businesses over the years. John W. Carey constructed the Shelby County . . . — — Map (db m29798) HM
This lot was one of the first developed in Sidney with its use dating from 1820. It was headquarters for the German American Bank that collapses in a notorious 1904 bank failure. The First National Exchange Bank, founded in 1899, rented the space . . . — — Map (db m29611) HM
First County Seat of Shelby County
Hardin was founded in October, 1816 by Thomas McClish,
Joseph Steinberger and James Lenox. These men were also
instrumental in developing Shelby County, which included the
areas of Allen county . . . — — Map (db m86765) HM
Ohio's most important Civil War building was the first of 14 constructed. The cornerstone was laid in June 1875 to honor 320 fallen comrades. The placement of Sgt. Baker in 1900 facing Ohio Avenue completed the building. An opera hall, seating . . . — — Map (db m29706) HM
One of the last works of Louis Henri Sullivan (1856-1924), the American architect whose original ideas of functional design and decorative ornament provided a basis for modern American architecture. — — Map (db m28591) HM
Zum Andenken der Deutsch
Civil War 1861 - 1865
Battery M, First Ohio
Volunteer Light Artillery
Sidney, Shelby County, Ohio.
Erected in 1938 by
George Hemm Jr.
in memory of . . . — — Map (db m29779) HM
In commemoration of those of
who for freedom's sake gave their
last full measure of devotion
Blackford, Forest W. • Cicur, Jr., John T.
Eidemiller, Harold H. • Fogt, Kale D.
Fogt, Lloyd O. • Geuy, . . . — — Map (db m29763) WM
This sculpture celebrates [Agriculture/Civic Life/Education/Industry] in Sidney and Shelby County at the turn of the Millenium. [These] four pieces representing important aspects of local life, [were] donated by the Sidney/Shelby Public Art . . . — — Map (db m29766) HM
This 1,250 pound bell was first sounded in the belfry of the Monumental Bulding at Ohio Avenue and Court Street in January 1905. There is served mainly as a fire bell, ringing when firemen were called to a fire and again as the men returned to the . . . — — Map (db m29768) HM
The old jail, actually the county's fourth, was completed in 1875 at a cost of $38,600. The Victorian Italianate design made it a distinctive structure. The front facade is composed of 2,000 pound limestone blocks. The jail housed inmates and also . . . — — Map (db m29746) HM
In 1819, the State of Ohio formally recognized Shelby County, named for Isaac Shelby, veteran of the American Revolution and former governor of Kentucky. The first county seat was located in Hardin, but was moved to Sidney in 1820 to centralize . . . — — Map (db m28590) HM
Former President Theodore Roosevelt
addressed a large crowd from
these steps on May 16, 1912.
He was introduced by C. B. De Weese.
William Howard Taft
President William Howard Taft
was the first sitting . . . — — Map (db m28619) HM
The old Presbyterian church occupied this site until it was purchased and demolished by General J.O. Amos in 1892. He built a three-story structure here to house the Sidney Daily News and Shelby County Democrat newspapers. That business remained . . . — — Map (db m29744) HM