Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Smyrna, Delaware Historical Markers

 
Ambulance 64 station house. image, Touch for more information
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
Ambulance 64 station house.
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-67 — "First in the World"Post # 14 American Legion Ambulance Service
In 1924, the members of the David C. Harrison American Legion Post # 14 initiated the first American Legion ambulance service in the world. Its eighteen founding members were veterans of World War I who volunteered their time to transport the sick . . . — Map (db m39026) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Allee House
In 1706 John Allee, of a Huguenot family, bought a 600-acre tract, "Woodstock Bower," of which this land is a part. One of his sons, Abraham, was prominent in Kent County affairs until his death in 1776: Member of the General Assembly 1726, . . . — Map (db m39589) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Commodore Jacob Jones
Born 1768, near this site. Commanded U.S. Sloop Wasp in notable victory over superior British sloop Frolic, October, 1812, off Cape Hatteras. Commanded frigate Constitution 1818-1829. Died August, 1850. Buried at Cecilton, Maryland. Reinterred in . . . — Map (db m39031) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-60 — Home of Allen McLane
For many years this home was the property of Colonel Allen McLane, statesman and hero of the American Revolution.

Born in Philadelphia August 8, 1746, McLane had moved to Delaware by 1769. His military career began when he was . . . — Map (db m39028) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-78 — Sgt. John B. MaberryMedal of Honor Recipient
Born December 17, 1841, John B. Maberry was the son of John and Temperance Brockson Maberry of Duck Creek Hundred. Responding to the call of his country, he enlisted in the Union Army’s Company F, First Regiment, Delaware Infantry Volunteers, in . . . — Map (db m39024) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-81 — Site of Duck Creek Presbyterian Church
In 1733 a charter was granted to “a dissenting congregation” of Scots and Irish Presbyterians who had settled in this area. A Meeting House was subsequently erected at this location. The Reverend Thomas Evans conducted the first service . . . — Map (db m39032) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-84 — Site of Green Pottery
In 1764, Thomas Green sold a one-quarter acre lot at this location to his grandson, Charles Green. Some time thereafter, Charles established a facility for the manufacturing of redware pottery on this site. The business is known to have been in . . . — Map (db m39678) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church
The roots of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in the 1770’s. Meetings were held in private homes before a frame structure was built here circa 1786 on land provided by Col. Allan McLane, . . . — Map (db m39027) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Site of the Duck Creek Society of Friends
The first religious organization to hold services in Duck Creek Hundred - 1705. Property transferred to Duck Creek Historical Society - 1962. Michael Desmond, Jr's Eagle Scout Restoration Project - 2002. — Map (db m39711) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-71 — Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall
In the spring of 1869, the Commissioners of Smyrna approved a plan to erect a Town Hall. Responding to the long-held desire of the citizens for a venue for public gatherings, architect Richard Mitchell designed the building to include a . . . — Map (db m39030) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-85 — The Barracks
This longtime Smyrna landmark was constructed by Robert Holliday in the late 18th century. The first known residents of the home are believed to have been the family of his daughter, Susannah Holliday Wilson. The origin of the name “The . . . — Map (db m39029) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — The Gray Box Chateau
The Gray Box Chateau 24 North Main Street Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1764 — Map (db m39679) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — The John Cummins Mansion
The John Cummins Mansion has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior - May 23, 1980 — Map (db m39677) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Smyrna — NC-89 — Clearfield Farm
Built in the mid-eighteenth century by Captain David Clark, Clearfield Farm was the home of his grandson John Clark (1761 -1821), Governor of Delaware from 1817 -1820. John Clark served as Colonel in the Delaware Militia and as Justice of the Peace . . . — Map (db m69112) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.