Compatriot of Sam Davis and cousin of Gen. Thomas Benton Smith, he was a member of Co. D, 20th Tenn. Regt., CSA, and later was transferred to Coleman's Scouts. On August 30, 1864, he was captured by a Federal patrol near Nolensville and tortured to . . . — — Map (db m28434) HM
Rutherford County native DeWitt Smith Jobe was a member of Capt. Henry B. Shaw’s Coleman’s Scouts, a Confederate cavalry unit and spy network that served the Army of Tennessee. The men operated behind Union lines, remaining out of sight in the . . . — — Map (db m69079) HM
William Nash opened the first store here in 1803; first county courthouse was here in 1804, following first meeting of court at Thomas Rucker's house. It was a stopping place on the Georgia Road, & an important river port & trading post. In 1811, . . . — — Map (db m82590) HM
Historically, farms in the 19th century included a small building called the smokehouse where meats could be smoked and stored. It was generally separated from other buildings to keep smoke away from the main house and lower . . . — — Map (db m69121) HM
In the house 1 mile northeast lived "The Boy Hero of the Confederacy." A trooper in Coleman's Scouts, CSA, he was captured by the Federals with secret papers of great value to the Confederacy. Threatened with death unless he gave the source of his . . . — — Map (db m82591) HM
In November 1863, while carrying intelligence on Union troop movements, Sam was captured near the Alabama border and jailed in Pulaski, Tennessee.
Interrogated by General Grenville Dodge and others, he was told that if information were not . . . — — Map (db m69102) HM
This is the Sam Davis Home, one of Tennessee’s most significant Confederate memorial properties. Samuel (“Sam”) Davis, born here in 1842, enlisted in the Rutherford Rifles (Co. I, 1st Tennessee Infantry) in 1861 and fought in western . . . — — Map (db m82592) HM
In the mid-19th century, the Greek Revival style dominated Southern architecture. The plain design created clarity, order, and simplicity reflecting a touch of refinement. Upper middle class farmers were able to add Greek Revival details such as . . . — — Map (db m82593) HM
In 1850 the Davis census lists ownership of 35 slaves, 14 males and 22 females. By 1860, 52 slaves, 27 males and 25 females, were living in the 14 slave cabins on the Davis property.
Most Southern slave dwellings were small, often not bigger . . . — — Map (db m82595) HM
A combined freight and passenger house, the Smyrna Railroad Depot was erected in 1851, and replaced in 1873. It was a direct result of the charter granted by the State of Tennessee on Dec. 11, 1845, to the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad to connect . . . — — Map (db m28432) HM
In the spring of 1841, Charles Lewis Davis married his second wife Jane Simmons and moved into this log home originally located on the Almaville Road near present day Interstate 24. Jane's mother, Elizabeth Collier Simmons, also moved into the home . . . — — Map (db m82596) HM
Attacking the wagon train of Starkweather's Brigade near here about 10:00 A.M., Wheeler's Brigade destroyed 20 wagons, took some 50 prisoners and a number of horses and mules. Action by the 1st and 21st Wisc., 4th Ill., 79th Pa., inf. and Btry. "A", . . . — — Map (db m26072) HM