A memorial to British troops who died in the Old Meeting House during Cornwallis encampment here on his retreat from Guilford Courthouse March 1781.
Erected by Troop 46 B.S.A. Henry Overman Leader Who Died Before Completing It. — — Map (db m30558) HM
Original frontier log dwelling built by Quaker John Allen III. House stood approximately 400 feet southeast. Housed five generations. Moved in 1965 to Alamance Battleground State Historic Site. — — Map (db m30287) HM
Cane Creek Friends Meeting Since 1751
The first Cane Creek Meetinghouse stood about two miles east on land belonging to John Stanfield. The first of four meetinghouses on this site was built in 1764 on land given by William . . . — — Map (db m30682) HM
The Quakers (Society of Friends) were early anti-slavery supporters of the Underground Railroad. Once the war erupted and Alamance County residents chose sides, supporters of the Confederacy regarded the Friends as Unionists. Never attacked directly . . . — — Map (db m45538) HM
Educator, historian, civic leader, farmer, a teacher in the public schools of North Carolina for 32 years. 22 years in this community he motivated his students and the community, his home place stands 2 miles northwest. — — Map (db m30283) HM
A mile south of here is the site of Freedom Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church, a simple frame building that measured 27 by 36 feet and was dedicated in March 1848. When local residents sent a plea for a minister to the Wesleyans in Ohio in 1847, the . . . — — Map (db m46020) HM
Micajah McPherson, a trustee of Freedom Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church and abolitionist, was lynched about a mile and a half southeast of here. Although there are different stories about his lynching, they agree that he was an innocent man lynched . . . — — Map (db m46021) HM
On these grounds, Revolutionaries and Loyalists were buried together in mass graves by people of this neighborhood, who also cared for the wounded in their homes. Additional burials are at Spring Meeting House. — — Map (db m30695) HM
At this site, Patriot militia commanded by Brigadier General John Butler ambushed loyalist militia commanded by Colonel David Fanning in an effort to free prisoners, whom the Loyalist had captured at Hillsborough the previous day.
Although losses . . . — — Map (db m30696) HM
In 1921 Principal E.P. Dixon started high school classes in nearby vacant cotton gin, naming school for the inventor Eli Whitney.
In 1923 high school classes relocated to building on this site. In 1928 a primary grade school building was . . . — — Map (db m33345) HM