Erected by General Mariano G. Vallejo about 1840 for the accommodations of emigrants and other travelers. Purchased in Gold Rush Days by Cooper and Spriggs, two retired sea-faring men and operated as hotel and store. Among first hostelries in . . . — — Map (db m15300) HM
This is the first stone winery building in California, and also the first “gravity-flow” wine building. The Count’s wine grapes were loaded directly to the back of the building’s second floor from the road , made into wine, then brought . . . — — Map (db m80733) HM
Birthplace of California wine. Founded in 1857 by Colonel Agoston Haraszthy, father of state’s wine industry. Limestone tunnels were dug into the hillside and vineyards were also established. Haraszthy toured Europe in 1861 to gather the cuttings . . . — — Map (db m80732) HM
Giovanni Minoggio and Giacomo Mazza, on land purchased from General Mariano Vallejo, built this plumstone building in 1870. When the railroad tracks were extended to Sonoma and the Sonoma train depot built across the street from the Mazza House, the . . . — — Map (db m78904) HM
This “modern brick building” with its distinctive cupola was built in 1891 by pioneer Sonoma merchant Frederick Duhring. It replaced the old Duhring Store, an adobe built in 1850 which had housed his mercantile established. In 1911 this . . . — — Map (db m54760) HM
A short distance down-stream from this spot, at the head of navigation on the banks of Sonoma Creek, an early landing place was established. From the 1830’s hides and tallow from the Pueblo of Sonoma were shipped to Yerba Buena , and goods and . . . — — Map (db m78551) HM
County Landmarks Commission
County of Sonoma
Harazthy Villa (sic)
This is to certify that the above historic site has been officially designated as a County Landmark by the Sonoma County Board of . . . — — Map (db m102579) HM
Two plaques have been placed at this memorial.
In This Cemetery is Buried
Capt. William Smith
Born in Virginia, November 14, 1768
Died in Sonoma, May 5 1846
Who served in the Virginia Navy during the American Revolution . . . — — Map (db m102559) HM WM
State Park Commission
Through Funds Furnished by
The General Vallejo Memorial Association
And the People of the State of California
Donors Names Within Building
Plaque donated by Historic Landmarks . . . — — Map (db m57667) HM
On July 4, 1823, Padre Jose Altimira founded this northernmost of California’s Franciscan Missions. The only one established under independent Mexico. In 1834 secularization orders were carried out by military Commandant Mariano G. Vallejo. San . . . — — Map (db m15273) HM
On this site, 4 July 1823, Padre Altimira, Lt. Castro and 19 armed men erected a cross, set a camp altar, consecrated the ground with a mass and fired a volley. Cline Ranch was then used as a preliminary scouting site and departure point for . . . — — Map (db m68145) HM
In this sacred grounds lie buried men, women and children of the local Coast Miwok, Patwin, Wappo and Pomo Tribes. They built, labored and died at Mission San Francisco Solano.
[A list of names of Native Americans buried here follows the . . . — — Map (db m15297) HM
This house was built by H.A. Green in 1847. Here John H. Nash was taken prisoner by Lieut. William T. Sherman in July 1847 for refusing to relinquish his post as Alcalde to Lilburn W. Boggs. It was restored in 1931 by Zolita Bates, Great . . . — — Map (db m15261) HM
This Monument was erected by the Native Sons of the Golden West and the State of California to commemorate the raising of the Bear Flag on this spot June 14, 1846 by the Bear Flag Party and their declaration of freedom of California from Mexican . . . — — Map (db m15268) HM
Built by 1846 Missouri emigrants John and Harriet Ray in 1847. After his success in the Rose Bar Gold Fields, the large adobe portion was added in 1849 by Indian labor to the wooden house on the east end. It was leased as headquarters for officers . . . — — Map (db m15253) HM
Home of Captain Salvador Vallejo. He was the brother of General Mariano G. Vallejo, Sonoma’s founder. Built by Indian labor, 1836 – 1846. Occupied by Captain Vallejo and family until Bear Flag Party seized Sonoma, June 14, 1846.
Cumberland . . . — — Map (db m15256) HM
Here is 1825 the Franciscan Fathers of San Francisco Solano Mission planted the first vineyard in Sonoma Valley. The grapes were used for making sacramental wines. After secularization of the Mission in 1835, General Mariano G. Vallejo, Commander of . . . — — Map (db m15302) HM
On this site between 1849 and 1957 stood the Union Hotel and Hall. Built by three veterans of the Mexican War, the hotel was a one-story adobe and the hall a one-story frame building. These were destroyed by fire in 1866 and replaced by two-story . . . — — Map (db m80731) HM
Erected in 1836 by General H. G. Vallejo. Headquarters of Bear Flag Party which on June 14, 1846 proclaimed a “California Republic” and raised the Bear Flag on Sonoma’s Plaza. Twenty three days later, July 7, 1846, Commodore John Drake . . . — — Map (db m15283) HM
The Sonoma Brewing Co., established under the leadership of John Steiner was promoted in the pages of the Sonoma Index-Tribune by its publisher Harry N. Granice, a major stock holder in the brewery. The brewery, which had one of the best equipped . . . — — Map (db m54577) HM
On January 2, 1976 the original depot was destroyed by fire. With the united efforts of the City of Sonoma, Sonoma Valley Historical Society and hundreds of interested and dedicated citizens, sufficient funds were collected to reconstruct the . . . — — Map (db m102578) HM
Sonoma Valley Women’s Club was founded September 21, 1901 by eleven local women led by Martha Stearns.
In 1911 the lot at 574-First Street East was purchased by S.V.W.C. from Katherine Poppe on which their club house was to be built. Funds for . . . — — Map (db m78923) HM
Constructed about 1850 by Don Salvador Vallejo. This adobe adjoined his first Sonoma dwelling built in 1836. Occupied by various pioneers. It was the house in 1861 of Dr. Victor J. Faure, vintner of prize winning wine made from grapes of the Vallejo . . . — — Map (db m15281) HM
Captain Granville P. Swift, great-gandnephew to Daniel Boone and early pioneer to California, spent his 21st birthday in 1842 building balsa reed rafts to float hides and tallow down the Sacramento River to Benicia to trade for supplies.
Swift . . . — — Map (db m80734) HM
This structure was erected in 1858 by Captain Granville R. Swift, a member of the Bear Flag Party. The stone in the building was quarried here by native Indian labor. General Persifor F. Smith, U.S. Military Commander-in-Chief in California, lived . . . — — Map (db m80735) HM
The Mission Trail marked the three hundred years of Spanish-Mexican settlement. It travelled as far south as Guatemala and traversed Mexico to advance through eleven of our present day United States. In 1823 Mission San Francisco Solano was founded, . . . — — Map (db m15294) HM
At this site, on July 4, 1823 Father Altimra set up a Camp Alter and planted the Holy Cross. The troops fired a volley, and the Padre sang in adoration of the cross. A Mass was celebrated in gratitude, and the place was named San Francisco Solano. . . . — — Map (db m15317) HM
This is the site of the Poppe General Store, law office and flats, portions of which date back to 1861, all of which were destroyed by a fire in 1911.
The following year this building was constructed as a law office, using fireproof concrete and . . . — — Map (db m66091) HM
This building is dedicated to Celso Viviani,
an Italian immigrant who came to Sonoma, California in 1910
Celso began making cheese in 1921 and started his cheese making business in 1931. He constructed this building in 1944 and opened the cheese . . . — — Map (db m15293) HM
This historic 1916 landmark, now the Sonoma Community Center, was the original home of the Sonoma Grammar School. It was purchased by Dr. Carroll Andrews and donated to the people of Sonoma in 1952.
The center is a non-profit run by a dedicated . . . — — Map (db m102581) HM
The Sonoma Index was founded in 1879 by Benjamin Frank. It is the successor to the Sonoma Bulletin (1852-1855), the first California newspaper published north of San Francisco.
The Index was purchased in 1884 by Harry H. Granice, maternal . . . — — Map (db m78925) HM
Original construction of store, library and dwelling which forms nucleus of this building in 1852 by Nathansons on land previously owned by Vallejo, this property was leased by Leiding to McKeague in 1877 and remodeled to become Eureka Hotel. 1886 . . . — — Map (db m15287) HM
Trinity traces its origins to St. Mary’s Hall, an Episcopal school for girls, established on the plaza by the Rev. John Leonard Ver Mehr on September 1, 1853, at the invitation of Sonoma founder Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo. During the next several . . . — — Map (db m15254) HM
This stone building, having withstood a fire and numerous earthquakes, was originally constructed in 1904 to house a brewery
During “Prohibition”, in 1931, Gaetano “Tom” Vella and his wife, Zolita, Clerici Vella converted . . . — — Map (db m78905) HM