24 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in South Haven
By Cosmos Mariner, July 24, 2017
Algonquin Legends of South Haven Marker (wide view)
|By: Chief Pokagon
"Our traditional account of South Haven given us by ki-os-ag (our forefathers) was held as sacred by them as Holy Writ by the white man. Long, long bi-bong (years) ago Ki-ji Man-i-to (the Great Spirit) who held dominion of . . . — — Map (db m119267) HM|
The City of South Haven took a major step forward in providing utility services to residents in 1892 when a water pumping station was constructed on the lakeshore. In 1895, the City purchased its first electric generator. The original water . . . — — Map (db m119261) HM|
Commercial fishing was part of South Haven's diverse maritime economy from the 1860s until the 1970s. In 1932, Christopher Jensen, a Danish immigrant, opened a commercial fishery on the Black River near the Dyckman Avenue Bridge.
The Jensen . . . — — Map (db m119266) HM|
South Haven emerged as a commercial shipping center in the 1850s. By the late nineteenth century, lumber, fruit, and other manufactured goods were transported between South Haven, Chicago, and other cities on steam vessels. Commercial shipping . . . — — Map (db m119257) HM|
|During the Korean War, Corporal Duane Edgar Dewey of the 2nd Battalion 5th Marines from South Haven, was the first person to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor from then President Eisenhower. He earned the nation’s highest award for heroism on . . . — — Map (db m61712) HM WM|
When South Haven became an incorporated town in 1869, it was a tiny but prosperous village with a bustling economy. Lake Michigan provided robust fishing, lumbering, shipping and fruit industries and the downtown business district grew quickly. . . . — — Map (db m119254) HM|
|This is the birthplace and early home of Dr. Liberty Hyde Bailey, South Haven's most distinguished son.
As a very young man he became interested in plants and trees. This interest and knowledge constantly grew until he became the nation's . . . — — Map (db m59421) HM|
Today, crossing the Black River is a far simpler task than in the past. Early travelers relied on ferryboats to transport them across the river until 1856, when a wooden drawbridge was constructed.
From 1889 until 1968, an iron swing bridge . . . — — Map (db m119255) HM|
As the City of South Haven's population grew, and with the arrival of steamship and train passengers, a greater need for entertainment became realized. The popular pastime of the day was "bathing" - referred to as "swimming" today - in Lake . . . — — Map (db m119279) HM|
In 1939, the Sturgeon Bay Boat Works built the Evelyn S for William Seliman Fisheries of Manistique, Michigan. A typical wooden gill net fish tug design prevalent during this period, the tug was sheathed in steel . . . — — Map (db m119292) HM|
|This property, known as the Bailey Home, was purchased from Liberty Bailey, father of Dr. Liberty Hyde Bailey, by Frank E. Warner in 1918. Mr. Warner made this his home until his death in 1926.
Mr. Warner was a pioneer fruit grower of this . . . — — Map (db m59420) HM|
|In 1906 the South Haven School District built this four-room school in Ward 2. The school, designed by Hussey and White of Lansing, was constructed at a cost of approximately $7,000. It was named for local businessman and school board president E.H. . . . — — Map (db m69992) HM|
|The Haven peach varieties were developed here by Michigan State University's South Haven Experiment Station, under the direction of Professor Stanley Johnston. From 1924 to 1963, eight yellow-fleshed freestone varieties were selected from more than . . . — — Map (db m59418) HM|
In 1861, the first piers appeared on the north and south side of the entrance to the Black River. The channel between the piers was dredged to allow access to larger ships. In 1867, the piers were extended and the channel was widened which . . . — — Map (db m119260) HM|
|This school was built for Ward One of the South Haven School District in 1898. Constructed at a cost of nearly $5,000 by William Buck, the handsome two-story building was designed by Frank S. Allen. It later took its name from the street on which it . . . — — Map (db m69989) HM|
|The world-famous botanist and horticulturist, Liberty Hyde Bailey, was born in this frame house. Here in wilderness surroundings he learned of wild animals and plants and attended the local village school. He graduated from Michigan Agricultural . . . — — Map (db m59419) HM|
The Lifesaving Station was a prominent landmark on South Haven's waterfront for more than a century before it was destroyed by fire in 1989. The U.S. Lifesaving Service (USLSS) built the lifesaving station in 1887 to ensure the safety of ships, . . . — — Map (db m119262) HM|
For over a century, South Haven's beaches, fishing, and boating have attracted tourists. By 1880, steamship lines and railroads brought thousands of visitors from Chicago, Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. Resort hotels, guesthouses, cottages, and . . . — — Map (db m119280) HM|
The resort industry thrived in the latter half of the 1800s and the first half of the 1900s. Visitors arrived from Chicago aboard steamships that sailed into South Haven harbor daily. The Dewey Hotel, the Avery Beach Hotel, the Newcomes, the . . . — — Map (db m119281) HM|
|This federated women's club, founded as a reading circle in 1883 and named for Sir Walter Scott, merged with the Literary and Antiquarian Societies to build a clubhouse in 1892. John Cornelius Randall designed the sandstone Queen Anne structure, . . . — — Map (db m69991) HM|
Between 1866 and 1902, more than 50 wooden ships were built at shipyards along the banks of the Black River. The construction of these ships was financed by the ship owners, local merchants, groups of shareholders, and small shipping companies. . . . — — Map (db m119268) HM|
The first light was erected in 1873 at the end of a 225 foot wooden pier that had been in use since 1861. The square pyramid wooden structure consisted of two rooms mounted on a raised platform. The bottom room was for oil storage, the top room . . . — — Map (db m119263) HM|
Veterans of the World War
1917 — 1918 — — Map (db m69990) WM|
The South Haven Lightkeeper's dwelling was built by the United States Lighthouse Service in 1871-1872, when South Haven's first lighthouse was constructed.
The dwelling was last occupied by a lightkeeper in 1940, when technical changes . . . — — Map (db m119258) HM|