Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Spartanburg, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
"Sparky" the Family Train Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Sean Nix, December 21, 2009
"Sparky" the Family Train Marker
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — "Sparky" the Family Train
Sparky is one of two miniature G-16 trains donated in 1952 by the Kiwanis Club of Spartanburg. The restoration of this vintage train was made possible through generous donations from families, companies, and organizations in the Spartanburg . . . — Map (db m25713) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 156 West Main Street Spartanburg Historic District
National Register South Carolina Department of Archives and History 156 West Main Street Spartanburg Historic District of Historic Places — Map (db m55128) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-25 — 15th N.Y. Infantry / Harlem Hell Fighters
15th N.Y. Infantry The 15th N.Y. Infantry, a volunteer National Guard unit of African American soldiers, arrived here Oct. 10, 1917, to train at Camp Wadsworth. Race riots that summer in East St. Louis and Houston raised the fears of . . . — Map (db m21237) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — American Legion Memorial Archway
This archway constructed and donated in memory of our fallen comrades who fought and died in the name of freedom by the following veterans [List of names follows on both columns]Map (db m13476) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Arthur Prysock / Ira Tucker
Arthur Prysock 1929-1997 Arthur Prycock was a prolific jazz crooner born in Spartanburg. Getting his start with Buddy Johnson's jazz orchestra in 1944, Prysock's rich baritone voice found its way onto nearly 60 albums. A highly adaptable . . . — Map (db m40338) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Barnet Park
Dedicated November 21, 1999 By the City of Spartanburg Mayor James E. Talley Council Members Robert W. Allen, Elizabeth B. Fleming W.C. Bain, Jr., Roy C. Henderson Linda C. Dogan, Lewis A. Mills City Manager Roy Lane . . . — Map (db m18916) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Battle of Cedar Spring
Not far from this spot on the 8th day of August 1780, was fought the Battle of Cedar Spring, one of a series of engagements in upper South Carolina that made possible the great victory at Kings Mountain and the final success of the American cause . . . — Map (db m21118) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Berlin Wall
[Left Marker] "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" President Ronald W. Reagan Berlin, June 12, 1987 [Right Marker] "Ich bin ein Berliner!" President John F. Kennedy Berlin, June 26, 1963 — Map (db m14171) WM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-26 — Camp Croft
[Marker Front]: Camp Croft, constructed in 1940-41, was named for Greenville native Maj. Gen. Edward Croft (1875-1938). The pillars from the main gate stand nearby. Camp Croft was one of nine U.S. Army Infantry Replacement Training . . . — Map (db m13325) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-5 — Camp Wadsworth
This camp, named in honor of Brigadier General James Samuel Wadsworth, U.S.V. was approved June 1917 as a cantonment site. The 27th division trained here from September 1, 1917 to May 4, 1918; the 6th, from May 10, 1918 to June 23, 1918; the . . . — Map (db m75474) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Cantrell Wagon Building Spartanburg Historic District
National Register South Carolina Department of Archives and History Cantrell Wagon Building Spartanburg Historic District of Historic Places — Map (db m55131) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-24 — Central Methodist Church
Organized in 1837 as the first congregation of any denomination in Spartanburg, when this site was deeded to nine trustees. Services began in early 1838. Original frame meeting house with belfry was replaced in 1854 by a larger brick church. The . . . — Map (db m9832) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Church of the Advent
Cornerstone: Church of the Advent Parish House 1912 Except the Lord build the house, their labor is in vain that build it. Nearby marker:This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m13511) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Colonel Warren H. Abernathy Highway
Name in honor of Warren H. Abernathy for his outstanding and distinguished service to the State of South Carolina as State Director for U.S. Senator Strom Thurmond for over 44 years. — Map (db m11360) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-2 — Converse College
Founded by citizens of Spartanburg in 1889 for the liberal education of women. Named for Dexter Edgar Converse, pioneer textile manufacturer. Opened in 1890 on this site, the grounds of which have been used for educational . . . — Map (db m9103) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-28 — Converse Heights
[Front]: Converse Heights is one of Spartanburg's earliest suburbs, with most of its houses built between 1906 and 1950. This area was originally the antebellum plantation of Govan Mills (1805-1862). In 1906 Mills' heirs sold the property . . . — Map (db m16324) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Daniel Morgan Avenue
This street is named for General Daniel Morgan (1736-1802). Revolutionary War leader whose victory at Cowpens on January 17, 1781, was one of the significant events of that war. Daniel Morgan served as a wagoner on Gen. Braddock's expedition in . . . — Map (db m9867) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Daniel Morgan Monument
[Morgan Side Top] To the American Soldiers who on the field of Cowpens, January 17th, 1781, fought victoriously for The Right of Self Government and Civil Liberty. ————— . . . — Map (db m13545) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Dexter Edgar Converse In Memorium
[Front Inscription]: Founder of this College Born in Swanton, Vermont April 21, 1829 Died in Spartanburg, South Carolina October 4, 1899 [Reverse Inscription]: "Oh, it is great -- and there is no other greatness -- . . . — Map (db m9869) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Don Reno / The Blue Ridge Quartet
Don Reno 1926 - 1984 Don Reno was an immensely influential banjo player and one of the founding figures in the bluegrass movement. Born in Spartanburg, Reno recorded more than 500 songs during his career, many with collaborator Red Smiley, . . . — Map (db m44912) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Dr. Jesse F. Cleveland Junior High School
Federal Works Agency Public Works Administration John M. Carmody Federal Works Administrator Franklin D. Roosevelt President of the United States The original site of the home of Dr. Jesse F. Cleveland, on which this building is . . . — Map (db m25708) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Edward Bomar
Born Essex Co. Va, Feb 11, 1767. Emigrated to So. Ca. 1796, and settled on the waters of North Tyger River, six miles west of Spartanburg Court House. His first wife was Mary Wood, who died in 1833; his second, Mary Treadway who died in 1857. He . . . — Map (db m40611) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Emily Elizabeth Dickinson 1830-1886
One of the best loved American poets, Emily Elizabeth Dickinson wrote some of the most important poetry in the English language. Born on December 10 in Amherst, Massachusetts, she attended Mount Holyoke Female Seminary for a year when she was . . . — Map (db m40441) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-13 — Evins-Bivings House
According to family tradition, this house was built in 1854 by the Bivings family, local textile pioneers. In 1869, the house was purchased by John H. Evins (1830-1884), Confederate Lieutenant Colonel, state legislator, major of Spartanburg, and . . . — Map (db m9841) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — First Presbyterian Church of Spartanburg, S.C. Sesquicentennial - 1993 Soli Deo Gloria —
The Sesquicentennial Bells were cast by the Bellfoundry of Paccard Fonderie de Cloches. Located in Annecy-le-Vieux, France. The praise of God is basic to our worship and each bell is inscribed with of praise from the Psalms. [Bell . . . — Map (db m16990) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-7 — Grave of William Walker / Magnolia Cemetery
Grave of William Walker William "Singin' Billy" Walker (1809-1875) was the author of Southern Harmony, a collection of religious music employing shaped musical notes to aid those who could not read standard musical notation. He later . . . — Map (db m9835) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-12 — Hampton Heights Historic District
Located one block west, this historic district was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 because of its historical and architectural significance as an example of an intact early twentieth-century neighborhood. A number of . . . — Map (db m9859) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Hank Garland / Johnny Blowers
Hank Garland 1930-2004 Hank Garland was a prolific studio musician contributing to recordings by Elvis Presley, Patsy Cline and many others. Born in Cowpens, Garland joined the Grand Ole Opry at 15, recording his million-selling his . . . — Map (db m40363) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Harold Hatcher 1907-2003
Founder and developer of Hatcher Garden and Woodland Preserve. Harold Hatcher was a man of vision who looked at a weed-filled, eroded, litter-strewn lot and saw a garden. Working with his wife Josephine for 30 years, he used his horticultural skills . . . — Map (db m55091) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Hearon Circle
Named in Honor of Charles O. Hearon Member of first State Highway Commission A pioneer of highway Development In South Carolina Member of state Highway Commission; 1917 - 1936 1943 - 1944 Chairman of State Highway Commission; . . . — Map (db m17454) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Jesse Cleveland
[North side:] Born 1785 - Died 1851 Came to Spartanburg 1810 Merchant for 41 years Lived on public square just above Cleveland Hotel. This park is dedicated to his memory and is part of a grant of 578 acres granted to him 6th day . . . — Map (db m25704) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — John B. White Sr., Blvd. Dedicated July 1998
Owner and Founder of the World-Famous Beacon Drive-In, from 1946 until his retirement in 1998. Mr. White is truly an extraordinary person and one of Spartanburg's Treasures. His character is beyond reproach, his generosity boundless, and his many . . . — Map (db m17736) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Joshua Hawkins
Stone step is from home place of Joshua Hawkins who has the oldest known grave in cemetery1750 - 1832 — Map (db m16620) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Kevin Earl Carper
In memory of Deputy Kevin Earl Carper Loving husband, Father, Public Servant, Hero Killed in the line of Duty February 27, 2007 We appreciate your 10 years of service to Spartanburg County. Your sacrifice will never be forgotten. . . . — Map (db m18537) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Marian Anderson 1897-1993
Her contralto voice sang out in the twentieth century -- her life testified to her passion for music and the power of her voice to speak directly to the soul, encountering societal resistance as an African-American seeking educational and . . . — Map (db m40421) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-22 — Mount Zion Baptist Church Cemetery
(Front): Mount Zion Baptist Church, founded as early as 1804 as an affiliated branch of Bethlehem Baptist Church, was formally established in 1827. The cemetery here, dating from 1832, includes the graves of many early church families and . . . — Map (db m12409) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-16 — Old City Cemetery
[Front]: This cemetery, established on this site about 1900 as the Spartanburg Colored Cemetery, includes many graves moved here from the first black cemetery in the city, established in 1849 1 mi. W. and closed by the expansion of the . . . — Map (db m18013) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Palmetto Building Spartanburg Historic District
National Register South Carolina Department of Archives and History Palmetto Building of Historic Places — Map (db m55096) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Peach Monument
This monument is erected out of respect for the peach, delectable fruit of a friendly soil and a beneficent sun. Upon a pedestal we place it as a symbol of God's bounty and man's enterprise. Spartanburg County has the honor of the . . . — Map (db m141371) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Pink Anderson / The Marshall Tucker Band
Pink Anderson 1900-1974 Pink Anderson was a seminal Piedmont bluesman. He lived most of his life in Spartanburg, performing locally and regionally, and recording three albums in the city for Bluesville Records during the 1960s. Anderson . . . — Map (db m40365) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Purple Heart Memorial Combat Wounded Veterans
. . . — Map (db m13478) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Spartanburg Confederate War Monument
[East Facing Side] Erected in honor of the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors from Spartanburg City and County by voluntary contributions from her citizens and Spartan Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy 1910 . . . — Map (db m13512) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Spartanburg County War Memorial
In memory of and dedicated to those brave citizens of Spartanburg County who gave their lives in the defense of their country during WWI WWII Korea Vietnam [Seals from six services: Army, Navy Air Force, Marines . . . — Map (db m13477) WM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-15 — Spartanburg Methodist College
While minister of Duncan Memorial Methodist Church, the Rev. David E. Camak established the Textile Industrial Institute in the dwelling across the street to educate cotton mill workers. The institute opened Sept. 5, 1911, and its operation was soon . . . — Map (db m13313) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Spartanburg Town Clock
[Seal of Spartanburg, S.C.] Mayor Frankin W. Allen 1977-81 Mayor John G. Baeher 1973-1977 Mayor Pro Tem C. Chester Brown, Jr. Council Members Jack M. Blasius, Ralph D. Prince E. Lewis Miller, Hal G. Warlick, Jr. City . . . — Map (db m25721) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Spartanburg Water Works 1927 - 1970
On March 24, 1927, the Commissioners of Public Works awarded a construction contract for a new office building at 168 West Main Street to T.W. Houston. The building was designed by local architect J. Frank Collins, and it served as the . . . — Map (db m40331) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Walter Hyatt / DesChamps Hood
Walter Hyatt 1949-1996 Walter Hyatt was a prolific songwriter and performer and a founding member of the influential Americana groups Uncle Walt's Band and the Contenders. Raised in Spartanburg, Hyatt joined the Austin and Nashville . . . — Map (db m40343) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Welcome to Croft State Natural Area
Croft State Natural Area covers 7,054 acres and was originally purchased by the State of South Carolina in 1949. It had been part of a 19,034-acre tract that served as a U.S. Army Infantry Replacement Training Center known as Camp Croft during . . . — Map (db m42780) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — William Walker / Clara Smith
William Walker 1809-1875 William ("Singing Billy") Walker, perhaps South Carolina's most famous musician of his day, was a singing school teacher, composer, and collector of folksongs. He published four shape-note tunebooks, bringing . . . — Map (db m41236) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-18 — Wofford College
Wofford College, charted in 1851, was established by a $100,000 bequest from the Rev. Benjamin Wofford of Spartanburg, who envisioned a college for 'literary, classical, and scientific education' affiliated with the Methodist Church. The college . . . — Map (db m9837) HM

50 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 9, 2020