Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Springboro, Ohio Historical Markers

 
"Squatter's House" and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., November 1, 2008
"Squatter's House" and Marker
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — "Squatter's House" Circa 1810
This oldest building in the historic district was the home of Griffy Griffis five years before the village was founded by Jonathan Wright in 1815. Since Griffis had no legal right to the property, it became known as the “Squatter's . . . — Map (db m13711) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Clark Williams House Circa 1824
Built by Clark Williams, this early brick Federal style building was owned by the Dayton Leather & Collar Company in the late 1800s. In the early 1900s it was owned by Napoleon Johnson, a former slave who was freed in Virginia in 1847 when his . . . — Map (db m13717) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Edward Potts House / John Potts House Circa 1831 / Circa 1832
The house on the right (45 South Main) appears to have been built circa 1832 by Joshua Trotter. In 1837, Trotter sold the house to John and Mary Potts, who were “conductors” on the Underground Railroad, persons who risked their lives and . . . — Map (db m13704) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Friends Cemetery of the Springborough Quaker Meeting Another of the Rural Series of Central Ohio Quakers
Members of the religious Society of Friends were instrumental in the founding and development of Springboro.

This plot contains the remains of Springboro founder Jonathan Wright (1782- 1855), a Quaker leader who donated part of his land . . . — Map (db m84495) HM

Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Harry Pence House Circa 1894
Harry Pence grew up on a family farm nearby and later became a successful businessman who lived in Minneapolis. He had this Queen Anne style house built for his parents, Charles and Ruth Pence. Harry's brother Warren along with his wife Clara and . . . — Map (db m13703) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Jack Decker House Circa 1830
This site was purchased by Josiah Townsend in 1827 for $50. In 1830, the property was sold for $1,500, suggesting that a house was built on the property sometime before 1830. Emmor Bailey, a member of the Society of Friends (Quakers), bought the . . . — Map (db m13694) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Jeremiah Stansel House Circa 1840
This house was built as the home of Jeremiah and Nancy (Gregg) Stansel. Jeremiah's father, Henry Stansel, was a friend of Daniel Boone. Although not a member of the Society of Friends (Quakers), Jeremiah is thought to have assisted runaway slaves, . . . — Map (db m13712) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — John Bateman House Site Bateman Tannery Site
John Bateman was a local tanner who had his house, storehouse, and workshop on this site. The house now located at 440 South Main was built circa 1869 by Joseph Haines, a carpenter who built a number of Springboro homes in the mid and late 1800s. . . . — Map (db m13693) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Jonah Thomas Shop Circa 1835
Jonah Thomas bought this building in 1837 when he moved his home and harness shop from across the street at 200 South Main. As a “conductor” on the Underground Railroad, Thomas opened his home as a “station” on the . . . — Map (db m13714) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — 8-83 — Jonathan Wright Homestead circa 1815
Jonathan Wright (1782-1855) and his wife Mary Bateman Wright (1787-1866) moved with their five children from Menallen, Adams County, Pennsylvania, in 1814 and built this Federal style house. Using skills acquired from his father, Joel Wright, a . . . — Map (db m26547) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Joseph Stanton House Circa 1833
This house was built by Joseph Stanton, son-in-law of local abolitionist James Stanton. Lydia Wood owned the house from 1875 until her death at age 86 in 1917. Lydia was the aunt of artist Grant Wood who pained the famous “American . . . — Map (db m13713) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Lynn O. Eaton Memorial Pin Oak
This pin oak tree has been placed here in living memory of Lynn O. Eaton, a charter member of the Springboro Lions Club. Lion Eaton was ever ready to assist his fellow man in all and every manner needed. He served in many civic offices and was . . . — Map (db m13698) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — M. & J. Wright General Merchandise Circa 1854
This building was built as a general store for Mahlon and Josiah Wright, sons of the village founder, Jonathan Wright. The building originally had a shed roof extending out over the street to protect customers from the weather. A large stepping . . . — Map (db m13718) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Mahlon Wright House Site - Circa 1818 Ford Service Station - 1919
Built in 1919, this building was the first gasoline station in Springboro and served as the bus maintenance facility for Springboro Community City Schools from 1945 to 2001. This shop replaced the home of Mahlon Wright, a son of the village founder . . . — Map (db m13696) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Null House 1798
The oldest on-site exposed log structure in Warren County, it was built by Christian and Charles Null. Renovated in 1995-96 by the city of Springboro, the Springboro Area Historical Society, the Historical Commission, and over 70 volunteers. — Map (db m84403) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Odd Fellows Hall Circa 1830
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) began in England in the 1700s as an association of common laborers who met together for fellowship and mutual aid. This was so unusual at the time that members were called “Odd Fellows,” and . . . — Map (db m13702) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Springboro Area Underground Railroad Historic Underground Railroad Site
A predominantly Quaker community in its early days, Springboro served as a hospitable thoroughfare for many runaway slaves on their way north to freedom. Between 1815 and 1864, Springboro was host to numerous safe-houses and many agents and . . . — Map (db m13716) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — The Lyceum Circa 1898
The fraternal order of the Knights of Pythias was founded in Washington, D.C. in 1864 as an organization dedicated to healing the wounds and hatred of the Civil War. The members of the local Springboro Lodge No. 574 built this meeting hall with a . . . — Map (db m13697) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Tommy Miller House Circa 1901
Tommy Miller had this house built on the foundation of an earlier home that had served for a time as a parsonage for the Methodist church. Possible traces of an Underground Railroad hiding place from that earlier era are still evident in the . . . — Map (db m13701) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Town Hall, Jail, and Fire Station Circa 1922
Springboro's town hall and town jail occupied this site for nearly 100 years. This was also the site of the town's first fire station. According to local history, this building was built circa 1922 by volunteers with donated materials after an . . . — Map (db m13715) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — United Brethern [sic] Church of Springboro Circa 1874
The United Brethern [sic] Church building and bell tower were built in 1874. By 2004 the original wooden bell house had been modified to remove the gothic gables. In 2007, a [sic] appropriate, but not original gothic steeple was built on the . . . — Map (db m13700) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Warner Bateman House Circa 1858
Warner Bateman, nephew of the village founder Jonathan Wright, was an “agent” on the Underground Railroad. An “agent” was one who provided assistance to runaway slaves on their way to freedom. As an attorney, Bateman was in . . . — Map (db m13692) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement