Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Springfield, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Bethany Marker, along Stillwell-Clyo Road at Bethany Road image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, February 2009
Bethany Marker, along Stillwell-Clyo Road at Bethany Road
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — 051-7 — Bethany
The settlement of Bethany was effected near here in 1751 by John Gerar William DeBrahm, His Majesty`s Surveyor General for the Southern District of North America. Comprised at first of 160 Germans, the group was joined 11 months later by an equal . . . — Map (db m14587) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — Confederate Memorial
1861 1865 To Honor The Confederate Heroes Of Effingham County ( Reverse Side ) Erected by Salzburger Chapter United Daughters Of The Confederacy April 26, 1923 — Map (db m7504) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — 051-1 — Effingham County
This is one of the eight original Counties created by the Georgia Constitution in 1777 and is named for Lord Effingham who was an ardent supporter of Colonial Rights. By Act of Feb. 26, 1784, the first County Site was located at Tuckasee-King near . . . — Map (db m7505) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground1790
Effingham Camp Meeting has the longest record of continuous service in South Georgia - from 1790 according to oral tradition. The first camp ground was off Sister’s Ferry Road on land of George Powledge, later sold to Gideon Mallette. In 1864 this . . . — Map (db m14592) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — Effingham County Veterans Memorial
[Front]: In grateful memory of those from Effingham County who made the supreme sacrifice in the service of our country that freedom might live and grow and increase its blessings [Along the base of the memorial are the seals for each . . . — Map (db m7695) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — 051-14 — Old Ebenezer»— .5 mi. →
About .5 miles East on this Road is the site of Old Ebenezer, the first settlement of the Salzburgers in Georgia. They selected this location and named it Ebenezer -- the stone of help. General Oglethorpe marked out their town, and soon they . . . — Map (db m7617) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — 51-16 — Sherman's Left Wing
On Dec. 8, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman`s army (USA), which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, was moving through Effingham County toward Savannah. Hq. Left Wing, Maj. Gen. H. W. Slocum, . . . — Map (db m7686) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.