A Spanish land grant acquired by James Rheims in 1804. Thomas Freeman, fmc, built "Sycamore" 1817-1820.
Colonel William Breed, first sheriff of Livingston Parish, purchased estate in 1838.
George Richardson acquired the property in 1856, . . . — — Map (db m86010) HM
Oldest town in Livingston Parish. Incorporated in 1838. Named for abundant ground water springs. Connected to old Natchez Trace. Site of a Spanish fort about 1800. Parish seat from 1835-1872. Old courthouse still stands. — — Map (db m87537) HM
In memory of Sallie Martinez Martin, for the dedication of this cannon on December 16, 2006, in honor of her great-grandfather, Johann Dreystadt, and the preservation of the history of Springfield, LA. Johann was born December 23, 1831 in . . . — — Map (db m86019) HM
Situated on El Camino Real (King's Highway), now LA Hwy 22, during Spanish reign (1783-1810). Site of stockade or small fort. In 1810 revolt against Spain, residents led by William Cooper remained loyal to Spanish authority. However, rebels led by . . . — — Map (db m86020) HM