Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

St. Augustine, Florida Historical Markers

 
The Fullerwood School image, Touch for more information
By Mrs. Shirley Williams-Galvin, March 5, 2011
The Fullerwood School
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 10 Hildreth DriveACCORD Freedom Trail
Fullerwood School was built in 1927 and is the only example in St. Augustine of the work of noted architect A. Ten Eyck Brown (1878-1940), famed for his courthouses, banks, and city halls in New Orleans, Miami and Atlanta. His name is on the . . . — Map (db m40725) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 102 M.L. King AvenueACCORD Freedom Trail
This area in the heart of Lincolnville was associated with black education for nearly a century. This lot was the site of the Presbyterian Parochial and Industrial School, headed by Rev. James H. Cooper. It was demolished in 1940 and the grounds . . . — Map (db m40701) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 1074 W King StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
This was the home of Mrs. Georgie Mae Reed (1926-1995), who took part in one of the most famous events in the civil rights movement that changed America and inspired the world. On March 31, 1964, Mrs. Reed was one of five St. Augustine women who . . . — Map (db m65420) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 111 Lincoln StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
Constructed before 1885, this is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Lincolnville, an historic neighborhood founded by freed slaves after the Civil War. It was home to two generations of the Moran family. Horace Moran was the chef at the . . . — Map (db m21194) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 112 M.L. King AvenueACCORD Freedom Trail
This house was built between 1904 and 1910 on what was then called Central Avenue. The name was changed in 1986. There are many streets in America named to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., but this one is special because he actually walked on it . . . — Map (db m17915) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 113 DeHaven StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
This was the home of Oscar Turner (1898-1987) and his wife Mabel (1903-1978). Their daughter, Mattie, married educator and coach A. Malcolm Jones, the principal of Richard J. Murray High School, for whom the recreational field at the nearby Willie . . . — Map (db m40698) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 120 DeHaven StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
This house was built in the 1920s and purchased a decade later by Jutson Ayers, who worked as an alligator wrestler for a quarter of a century at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm before his death in 1958. His widow, Mrs. Rena Ayers, gave important . . . — Map (db m17914) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 156 M.L. King AvenueACCORD Freedom Trail
The house at 156 Central Avenue was built in the 1950's for Mrs. Janie Price, a nurse at Flagler Hospital. She had taken her nurse's training at Grady Hospital in Atlanta in the 1940s and while there had attended dances with students from Morehouse . . . — Map (db m7627) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 160 M.L. King AvenueACCORD Freedom Trail
The southern half of Lincolnville was, in colonial times, a plantation called "Buena Esperanza" (Spanish for "Good Hope"). During the Flagler Era of the 1880s, it was bought by Standard Oil millionaire William Warden and developed as a residential . . . — Map (db m40699) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 1740 Siege
In 1740, General James Oglethorpe of Georgia, vowed to "take St. Augustine or leave my bones before its walls." The Spanish Governor Manuel de Montiano vowed in turn to "shed his last drop of blood" in defense of the town. Neither had to keep their . . . — Map (db m46349) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 177 Twine StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
The event that brought the civil rights movement in St. Augustine to international attention was the arrest of Mary Parkman Peabody (1891-1981), the 72-year old mother of the Governor of Massachusetts, for trying to be served in a racially . . . — Map (db m7610) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 222 Riberia StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
Bethel Baptist Church was founded in 1939 by Rev. William Banks, the former pastor of St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church on Washington Street, and other members from that congregation. Land was acquired on Riberia Street, and the church building . . . — Map (db m21207) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 262 West King StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
Leo C. Chase, Sr., who had previously managed the Huff Funeral Home in Lincolnville, opened one of the oldest businesses in St. Augustine, this funeral home in 1955. His son, Arnett Chase, took over after his father's death in 1977. Another son, Leo . . . — Map (db m40723) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 31 King StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
The Ponce de Leon Shopping Center opened in 1955 as the first downtown shopping center in St. Augustine. It was designated by Morris Lapidus (1902-2001), Florida's most famous mid-twentieth century architect, and is the only example of his work in . . . — Map (db m7696) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 33 Bernard StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
Bernard Street is one of three historically black residential streets in the North City area, dating back to the Flagler Era. At the west end of the street were a lumber yard, steam laundry, and ice plant that provided employment. Other residents . . . — Map (db m17913) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 5480 Atlantic ViewACCORD Freedom Trail
This beach cottage attracted international attention in 1964, and a photograph taken here of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. pointing to a bullet hole in the window has become one of the iconic images of the civil rights movement. It was the winter home . . . — Map (db m40697) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 56 Park PlaceACCORD Freedom Trail
This house, overlooking Maria Sanchez Lake, was built in the 1950's for a distinguished family of educators. James G. Reddick was a longtime principal of Excelsior School and his wife Maude was the supervisor of black schools in St. Augustine in the . . . — Map (db m21187) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 57 Chapin StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
57 Chapin Street was once the home of Willie Galimore (1935-1964), the most famous athlete to come from St. Augustine. A three-time Pittsburgh Courier All-American football player at Florida A & M University under the legendary coach Jake Gaither, . . . — Map (db m7732) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 570 Christopher StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
This was the home of Rev. Roscoe Halyard and his wife Flora, both active participants in the civil rights movement of the 1960s. Rev. Halyard, who was associated with Zion Baptist Church and worked as a carpenter, made trips to both Tallahassee and . . . — Map (db m21208) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 64 Washington StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
64 Washington Street was the Florida State Headquarters of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) during and after the civil rights demonstrations of 1964. SCLC was founded in 1957 by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. after the successful . . . — Map (db m7607) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 650 Julia StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
This house was built in 2008 by Habitat for Humanity for one of the Ancient City's civil rights heroes, Audrey Nell Edwards. Along with JoeAnn Anderson Ulmer, Samuel White, and Willie Carl Singleton, she was one of the "St. Augustine Four." As young . . . — Map (db m40724) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 21 — 76 Washington StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
The St. Augustine office of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) was located in this building from the 1970's until the early 1990's. The organization's roots in the Ancient City began much earlier. William English . . . — Map (db m21181) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 79 Bridge StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
The Rudcarlie Building at 79 Bridge Street was built in the 1950's by Dr. Rudolph N. Gordon (1901-1959) and named for the members of his family. Rudolph, Carlotta, and Rosalie. It was the first medical/dental office constructed in St. Augustine . . . — Map (db m7640) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 8 Dr. R.B. Hayling PlaceACCORD Freedom Trail
The house at 8 Scott Street was built in the 1950s as part of Rollins Subdivision, a new residential area where many prominent black St. Augustinians made their homes. In the early 1960s it was the residence of Dr. Robert B. Hayling and family. A . . . — Map (db m7628) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 81 Bridge StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
This Victorian house in the historic Lincolnville neighborhood (founded by freed slaves after the Civil War) became a civil rights landmark in 1964. It was a gathering place for people in the movement, where they could meet, rest, seek solace, and . . . — Map (db m40729) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 84 Bridge StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
Trinity United Methodist Church is the oldest congregation in historic Lincolnville and one of the oldest Protestant congregations in Florida. Its origins date to the early American period, in the 1820s, when a Methodist missionary came to St. . . . — Map (db m21206) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 84 St. Benedict StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
The narrow streets and small building lots of this area mark it as the earliest part of Lincolnville, founded by freed slaves after the Civil War and now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. An earlier house that stood on this site . . . — Map (db m102339) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 8-inch Columbiad
A part of the armament historic Fort Marion (Castillo de San Marcos) before, during and after the Civil War Presented to the City of St. Augustine by the U.S. War Department June 12, 1900 — Map (db m46800) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 94 South StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
This has been the home to the Whites, one of the outstanding families active in the 1963-1964 civil rights movement in St. Augustine. Parents James (a decorated Buffalo Soldier from World War II) and Hattie Lee White both took part in demonstrations . . . — Map (db m40700) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 96 Evergreen AvenueACCORD Freedom Trail
Zion Baptist Church, with its distinctive double towers, was built in 1921 to house a congregation originally organized in 1886. It is the last house of worship passed by many funerals on their way to several nearby cemeteries, including the one . . . — Map (db m7803) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 97 M.L. King AvenueACCORD Freedom Trail
97 Martin Luther King Avenue was built in the 1920s by Frederick E. Martin, a prominent Lincolnville businessman whose name is set in the tile inside the front door. It was a popular confectionery and sundries store under many owners, drawing some . . . — Map (db m7727) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — A Microcosm of Urban Archaeology in Downtown St. Augustine, Florida
Introduction St. Augustine's colonial downtown district exists as the most enduring location of European origin in the United States, having been settled since 1572. A diverse array of archaeological resources, the result of 400+ years of . . . — Map (db m102336) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Acosta HouseReconstructed 1976
Built between 1803 and 1812 by Jorge Acosta (c.1764-1812), a native of Corsica, and husband of Margarita Villalonga, born in St. Augustine of Minorcan parents. — Map (db m102394) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — African Origins
Fort Mose (Moh-Say) was a multicultural community of people originally from West and Central Africa, along with some Native Americans. Some of the residents of Mose, like Francisco Menendez, fought in the 1715 Yamasee War against the English . . . — Map (db m79588) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Alcazar Hotel / City Hall
Built by Henry Flagler, the Alcázar Hotel opened as a companion to the Ponce de León in 1888. The building, one of the first multi-storied structures in the country constructed with poured concrete, was designed by John M. Carrere and Thomas . . . — Map (db m47017) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Anderson Cottage
By the year 1870, a widowed Clarissa Fairbanks Anderson had built on her property, known as “Markland,” a gable-roofed, frame “winter cottage” for guests. In 1885, her son, Dr. Andrew Anderson, Jr., sold part of the . . . — Map (db m100592) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Andrew Young CrossingPeaceful Protest for Civil Rights
At this location on June 9th, 1964, Civil Rights Movement Leader Andrew Young led a march from Lincolnville to the Plaza de la Constitucion where they met violent opposition. Young had been sent to St. Augustine by the Reverend Martin Luther King, . . . — Map (db m107336) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-526 — Black Catholic Heritage
Side 1 This block of property owned by the Catholic Church contains three historic buildings that embody an important part of African American heritage of St. Augustine. It was part of Yallaha orange grove plantation before the Civil War . . . — Map (db m102735) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — British Quarters
During the American Revolution, St. Augustine was a base for British military activity in the South. The English added second floors in this and other rooms to make more space for storage and quarters. — Map (db m46536) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — CannonCañones
Although the Castillo's high walls and moat were a substantial obstacle to anyone trying to capture the fort, the cannon here on the gundeck (or terreplein) were the were the real strength of the fort. With a range of over a mile, the cannon could . . . — Map (db m46346) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Casa AveroSt. Photios — National Greek Orthodox Shrine
Built 1749 - Restored 1979This shrine is dedicated to the memory of the 400 Greeks who arrived in St. Augustine in 1768, took on fresh supplies, then journeyed south to help settle the colony of New Smyrna, Florida. After ten difficult years, the . . . — Map (db m46789) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Casa de Nicolas de OrtegaArmourer
Built ca. 1740 Reconstructed 1967 A house representative of the first Spanish period with minor British modifications. The reconstruction of this residence was made possible from contributions of A.D. Davis and J.E. Davis Winn Dixie . . . — Map (db m107554) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Cast Iron Gun
. . . — Map (db m46814) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
This Spanish fort, begun in 1672, stood firm against English attacks and helped Spain to hold Florida for many years. During the American Revolution it was a British stronghold. Later it became a U.S. Military Prison. — Map (db m17232) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
This Spanish fort, begun in 1672, stood firm against English attacks and helped Spain to hold Florida for many years. During the American Revolution, it was a British stronghold. Later it became a battery in the U.S. coastal defense system. — Map (db m46147) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Chain GangsThe Convict Lease System
Following the Civil War and the reconstruction period the state of Florida found itself in debt. As a way to offset some of the state’s expenditures, newly elected governor George Drew put into practice the convict leasing system in 1877. . . . — Map (db m79584) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Chapel of St. MarkCapilla de San Marcos
In time of danger, the chapel was a spiritual haven for both soldiers and townspeople. Before the altar, the priest offered mass. The walls were white, with a red band at floor level. The holy water fonts are still in place. — Map (db m46538) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Cofradia Site Coquina Wellca.1614-1657
The 1990 excavation of this coquina block well revealed furniture fragments from the 1600s, a rarity among St. Augustine's artifacts. Most likely, the well was built in the early 1600s and filled quickly about 1670 with household items from a . . . — Map (db m93269) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Covered WayCamino Cubierto
The man-made hill around the fort, called the glacis (gla'sis), "covers" or protects this area from enemy fire. Capturing a fort's covered way usually involved a bloody assault. — Map (db m46548) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Dade Pyramids
These three pyramids cover vaults containing the individually unidentified remains of 1468 soldiers of the Florida Indian Wars 1835-1842 The Florida Indian Wars began with the murder of an Indian agent at Fort King on December 25, 1835. . . . — Map (db m77411) HM WM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-592 — Davis Shores
Until the 1920s the northwest corner of Anastasia Island was a swampy lowland with occasional peaks of high ground. In 1925, wealthy Florida land developer D.P. Davis purchased the lowlands and raised them in a massive 1,500 acre dredge and fill . . . — Map (db m47390) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Don Pedro Menéndez de Aviles1519 - 1574
(Front):Illustrious son of Aviles, Spain Governor and Captain General, Conquistador, Adelantado in Perpetuity of Florida. Founded St. Augustine September 8, 1565 * * * * * * * * * * Statue was a gift of the people of the city of Aviles, Spain . . . — Map (db m47053) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Don Toledo/Gaspar Papy HouseSecond Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1803-1817
Following the typical model of Spanish Colonial site planning, this structure is situated on the street edge and features coquina stone construction with a protective stucco finish. The exposed fireplace is a reminder of another structure that was . . . — Map (db m108056) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-107 — Dr. Peck House
The stone walls of this building date from before 1750 and were part of a house owned by the Royal Treasurer late in the First Spanish Period. During the British Period it served for a time as the home of Governor John Moultrie. In 1837 Dr. Seth S. . . . — Map (db m46797) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de MoseFort Mose Historic State Park
Great Seal of the State of Florida:"In God We Trust" On the shore of Robinson Creek, 1/4 mile east of this marker, was the site of a Spanish mission for Indians left homeless during the Queen Anne's War. Since 1688, Negro . . . — Map (db m65579) HM WM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Elk's Rest100 Washington Street — Lincolnville
Fountain of Youth Lodge No. 649, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World and Pride of Fountain of Youth Temple No. 413. Completed in November 1958. This lodge, called Elks Rest, was at the early center of political and . . . — Map (db m77259) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-595 — Evergreen Cemetery
Established in 1886 outside the city limits when St. Augustine closed its small urban graveyards due to overcrowding. Evergreen became the region's largest Protestant cemetery of the late 1800's and early 1900s. The design was strongly influenced by . . . — Map (db m73842) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Father Miguel O'Reilly HouseFirst Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1690-1763
A tabby interior wall provides evidence that a portion of this building remains from the First Spanish Period before coquina stone construction took its place. Tabby was a form of construction that produced a cement slurry with an aggregate of . . . — Map (db m107452) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Fernandez-Llambias House
This house was already extant in 1763, when Spain ceded Florida to Great Britain. It was then a one-story, two-room, shingle-roofed coquina stone structure owned by Pedro Fernandez. A British owner added the loggia. In 1784, when the Spanish . . . — Map (db m77290) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Firing StepsBanquetas
After loading their muskets, the soldiers mounted these steps to fire over the parapet at the enemy. — Map (db m46512) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — First Baptist Church of St. Augustine89 St. Francis Street — "Lincolnville"
Established in 1872 through the efforts of Mrs. Hannah Jordan, a devoutly Christian sojourner who, like its first pastor, Rev. Father C. Felder, believed in leading by the example of hard work. The church has flourished at this location—since . . . — Map (db m77291) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-848 — First Spanish Muster Site in Florida
The first muster of Spanish militiamen in the newly-established presidio (fortified encampment) of St. Augustine took place in September of 1565. During the onset of the San Mateo hurricane Adelantado Pedro Menendez de Aviles assembled 500 regular . . . — Map (db m92865) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-223 — Flagler Memorial Presbyterian Church
(side 1) St. Augustine had no Prostestant church when it became an American town in 1821. At first a united Protestant church was favored. Many denominations sent missionaries such as Presbyterian Eleazer Lathrop, who first arrived in 1821. . . . — Map (db m106338) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — FloridaThe Sunshine State
Colonized by Spaniards, 1539 • Site of first settlement in U.S., 1565 • Acquired by U.S. from Spain, 1819 • Admitted as 27th state, 1845 • Now nation's fastest growing state • 1963 population 5,639,900 • State song ~ "Old Folks at Home" • State Bird . . . — Map (db m5999) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-636 — Florida East Coast Railway - General Office Buildings
Henry M. Flagler built the Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) to link his resort empire and establish the east coast of Florida as “The American Riviera.” Flagler, partner with John D. Rockefeller in Standard Oil, developed the Atlantic . . . — Map (db m77255) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Florida Memorial University
Founded 1879—Live Oak, Florida Jacksonville, Florida—1892-1918 St. Augustine, Florida—1918-1968 Miami Gardens, Florida—1968-Present Students of Florida Normal and Industrial Memorial College, in the early 1960s . . . — Map (db m67672) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Former St. Johns County JailACCORD Freedom Trail
This building, designed by architect F. A. Hollingsworth, opened in 1953 as the St. Johns County Jail, replacing an earlier jail building on San Marco Avenue that subsequently became a tourist attraction. A decade later, this building played a . . . — Map (db m40728) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Fort Marion
In 1821, the United States assumed control of Florida and federal troops occupied the fort. It was renamed Ft. Marion, for the Revolutionary war hero Francis Marion, the "Swamp Fox." In order to modernize the fort's defensives, the east portion of . . . — Map (db m46542) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Fort Matanzas National Monument
The Spanish built Fort Matanzas in 1740-42 to control Matanzas inlet, the "back door" to St. Augustine. Much earlier, in 1565, Spain had bloodily crushed here a French challenge to her control of Florida by killing the remnants of a French colony . . . — Map (db m27271) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-637 — Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park
The Fountain of Youth Park commemorates the 1513 arrival of Juan Ponce de Leon in Florida and the legend of the Fountain of Youth. People have lived on this site for over 3,000 years, since the Archaic Period of Florida’s history. In 1565 . . . — Map (db m79574) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Frederick Douglass
On this site, where the "Genovar Opera House" once stood, Frederick Douglass spoke to the residents of St. Augustine on Sunday, April 7, 1889. Born into slavery in 1818, Douglass rose in the pre-Civil War years to become a leading exponent of the . . . — Map (db m46795) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Fuente de los Caños de San Francisco
The set of masks that decorate this fountain was a gift to the City of St. Augustine by its sister city in Spain, the City of Avilés, birthplace of Pedro Menéndez, founder of St. Augustine in 1565. Presented in 2005 to the people of St. Augustine . . . — Map (db m46680) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Garcia-Dummett HouseSecond Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1791, enlarged 1888
The house was built as a residence for Gaspar Garcia and Spanish characteristics are still evident including how the building relates to the street edge and the coquina stone building material protected under a stucco finish. Later, a third floor . . . — Map (db m108143) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Gault StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
Gault Street was one of the historically black residential streets in North City. Many residents worked at the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind, the Fountain of Youth, laundries and ice plants that were once located in the area. Three . . . — Map (db m7580) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — General Biassou House
Here on this site, 42 St. George Street, stood the home of the nation's first Black general, Jorge Biassou, who came to St. Augustine from his native Haiti in 1796 as an officer of the Spanish military. Biassou was one of the original leaders . . . — Map (db m70944) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-311 — Gonzalez-Alvarez House(The Oldest House)
For more than three centuries this site has been occupied by St. Augustinians. Beginning about 1650, a succession of thatched wooden structures were their homes. This coquina stone house was built soon after the English burned St. Augustine in 1702, . . . — Map (db m77288) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-295 — Grace United Methodist Church
Grace United Methodist Church is a reminder of the tremendous physical impact Henry M. Flagler had on St. Augustine. This complex of structures resulted from a compromise between Flagler and the congregation of Olivet Church. That group of northern . . . — Map (db m47060) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Huguenot Cemetery
Before Florida became a U.S. territory in 1821, this land was owned by Spain. In 1807 parcels of land to the north of the city gate were granted to residents interested in farming. However, as a defense measure, Governor Enrique White set out a . . . — Map (db m46704) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Indian Prisoners
The fort was a prison for several hundred Plains Indians in 1875-78 (Comanche, Kiowa, Arapahoes, and Cheyenne) and in 1886-87 (Chiricahua Apaches). Originally confined in these casemates, they were soon moved to the terreplein to live in wooden . . . — Map (db m46535) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Juan Ponce De Leon
. . . — Map (db m19432) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-591 — King's Road
The British laid the original route for King's Road between 1772 and 1775 in an effort to encourage settlement into this area. Extending from St. Mary's, Georgia to Andrew Turnbull's Minorcan colony at New Smyrna, King's Road intersects Palencia . . . — Map (db m47650) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — La Florida's El Camino Real
In the 1600s, Spanish Florida's Royal Road connected St. Augustine with the missions of North Florida.

From the time St. Augustine was established in 1565, Spanish military and religious authorities began extending their reach beyond the town . . . — Map (db m101066) HM

Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — La NecesariaThe Necessary
These two rooms were used as latrines. From the Spanish plan of 1763. — Map (db m46533) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-353 — Lincolnville Historic District
Once the site of Indian Villages, colonial plantations and orange groves, Lincolnville began as a settlement of emancipated slaves in 1866. African-Americans, who trace their origins to the City´s 16th century founding, played an integral role in . . . — Map (db m102736) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Lines of DefenseLineas de Defensa
Surrounding defenses made St. Augustine a walled town. From here you can see a reconstructed part of the Cubo Line, the log wall which barred the land approach. It extended from the fort, past the City Gate, to the San Sebastián River. — Map (db m46509) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Llambias HouseFirst Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1763, enlarged by 1788
This building is significant for its Spanish and British Colonial architectural influences and in 1954 became one of the first examples of a private residence to undergo a documented restoration. Characteristics of the "St. Augustine Plan" of . . . — Map (db m108073) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Los FloridanosFlorida's First European Families 1565-1763
"Los Floridanos" referred to the children born to the Spanish settlers of St. Augustine during the First Spanish Period (1565-1763). Translated it means "The Floridians" and record of this title can be found in many Spanish Government documents, . . . — Map (db m46633) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-434 — Major Dade and His Command Monuments
On December 28, 1835, during the Second Seminole War, a column of 108 U.S. Army soldiers dispatched from Fort Brooke (Tampa) to relieve the detachment at Fort King (Ocala) was surprised by a strong force of Seminole Indians near Bushnell in Sumter . . . — Map (db m77413) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Markland
Markland, the Anderson family home, has been a local landmark since 1843. Dr. Andrew Anderson, a prominent civic leader, laid the foundations of the coquina shellstone house in 1839 just before his death in a yellow fever epidemic. The original . . . — Map (db m77212) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Matanzas BayBahia de Matanzas
On this shore in 1586, Sir Francis Drake burned San Agustin and a new wooden fort called San Juan. In 1668, John Davis, an English corsair, sacked the town and almost captured its wooden fort. Many other pirates, seeking Spanish treasure ships, were . . . — Map (db m46202) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-111 — Mission Nombre de Dios
On this site, September 8, 1565, Pedro Menéndez de Avilés landed with a band of settlers to found St. Augustine, first permanent Christian settlement in the United States. Father Francisco López de Mendoza Grajales, Spanish diocesan Priest, offered . . . — Map (db m47569) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Mission Nombre de Dios
In this vicinity, on September 8, 1565, having arrived with Pedro Menendez de Aviles and Spanish citizens, Father Francisco Lopez de Mendoza Grajales led the first parish mass in what is now the United States of America. At a makeshift rustic . . . — Map (db m80699) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Mission of Nuestra Señora del Rosario de La Punta
From the late 1720s to the early 1750s the green space just beyond this wall was the site of the church and cemetery for the mission community of La Punta (FL Site #8SJ94). This mission was home to refugee Yamassee and Apalachee Indians who had fled . . . — Map (db m92980) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-911 — Nelmar Terrace Historic District
(side 1) The Nelmar Terrace area has been the site of portions of a Timucuan Indian village, a plantation under British Governor James Grant in the 1770s, and parcels of Spanish land grants after 1784. From 1844-1869 the area was the . . . — Map (db m100892) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Nine Mile Road
Nine Mile Road was so named because its early eastern terminus at the Kings Road, built in 1775, near U.S. Highway Number 1, is nine miles north of St. Augustine. Between the terminus of Nine Mile Road at the Kings Road and State Road Number . . . — Map (db m67695) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Northern Defense Lines
. . . — Map (db m46451) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Nuestra Señora de la SoledadOur Lady of Solitude, Church and Hospital
On this site, Spanish colonists built the chapel of Nuestra Señora de la Soledad shortly after 1572. A hospital was attached in 1597, thus becoming the first hospital in the continental United States. In 1687 the chapel was enlarged . . . — Map (db m108377) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Nuestra Señora de los RemediosOur Lady of Remedies
On this site, the City Archaeology Program uncovered remains of the west wall of the late 16th century church, Los Remedios, which served as the parish church of St. Augustine from 1572 until 1702. Burned by Francis Drake in 1586 and . . . — Map (db m93381) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-242 — Old Spanish Chimney and Well
These ruins are all that remain of what was probably a Spanish barracks which housed the quarry overseer, master masons, and stonecutters who were involved in the construction of the Castillo de San Marcos. The quarry, located directly across the . . . — Map (db m106439) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-229 — Old Spanish QuarriesAnastasia Island
Marker Front: About 200 yards south-east of this point are the remains of the King's Coquina Quarries. (Coquina, a type of limestone composed of mollusk shells and sand, is found along the north-east coast of Florida.) Coquina was used in . . . — Map (db m28361) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Old Spanish Trail Zero Milestone
Old Spanish Trail Zero Milestone St Augustine Fla to San Diego Calif — Map (db m39787) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Oliveros House
Built c. 1798 by Sebastian Oliveros, a Corsican mariner and trader. This historic house was reconstructed by L.C. Ringhaver in 1965. — Map (db m102362) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-729 — Orange Street School
St. Augustine High and Grade School opened in October 1910, with an enrollment of more than 400 students in grades 1-12. The new public school, billed locally as "the finest in Florida," was the inspiration of W.S.M. Pinkham, Mayor of St. Augustine . . . — Map (db m93383) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Pena-Peck HouseFirst Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1750
Three major phases of town growth are depicted in this house. The first phase is represented in the first floor's L-shaped plan of coquina during the First Spanish Period, the second is an eastern wing built in the British Period, and the final is . . . — Map (db m102382) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Pirate Attacks
Before the construction of the Castillo, the people of St. Augustine were periodically raided by pirates. Since the town was never prosperous anyway, the loss of what little there was meant hard times and near starvation for all. — Map (db m46200) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Plaza de la Constitución
The oldest public space in America, the plaza was laid out by Spanish Royal Ordinances in 1573. Its Constitution Monument may be the only remaining monument in the Western Hemisphere celebrating the Spanish Constitution of 1812. The Ordinances . . . — Map (db m46801) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Plaza-Courtyard
There were several attempts to capture St. Augustine. Twice (1683 and 1702) the townspeople fled to these walls for protection. — Map (db m46532) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-240 — Ponce De Leon Hotel
The magnificent structure was erected between 1885 and 1887 by Henry M. Flagler, the hotel and railroad magnate whose activities contributed greatly to the development of Florida's eastern coastal area. Designed by the New York architectural firm of . . . — Map (db m5994) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution
From the onset of the American Revolution in 1775, the British Crown Colony in East Florida was a Loyalist bastion. In its capital, St. Augustine, the British lodged as prisoners many American Patriots and their French allies. Most of these . . . — Map (db m46802) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-117 — Public Burying Ground
During the yellow fever epidemic of 1821, this half-acre plot was set aside as a public cemetery. Many Protestant pioneers to the new Florida Territory are buried here. Often such burials, made at public expense, went unmarked. The Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m46703) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Public Market Place
The first public market was established in this Plaza by Governor Mendez de Canzo in 1598. Here, for the first time a standard system of weights and measures was introduced in this country for the protection of the consumer. On this site a market . . . — Map (db m46816) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Public Well
The well was used from 1823 to the early 1880's. The remnants lay buried and forgotten until city of St. Augustine public works employees discovered the well, with assistance from the St. Augustine Archaeological Association, while renovating the . . . — Map (db m46811) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — RampRampa
This stairway, probably constructed between 1752 and 1756, replaced a smooth incline used to haul guns to the top of the fort. — Map (db m46199) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-858 — Remnant of Rodriguez Arsian House
These low stone walls are the remnants of a building constructed during the First Spanish Period (1513-1763) from native rock known as coquina. The building belonged to Antonio Rodriquez Arsian, a soldier whose family lived in St. Augustine for . . . — Map (db m100740) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Reverend Goldie M. Eubanks(Anointed Leader) — 172 Palmo Street, Lincolnville
Home of Rev. Goldie M. Eubanks, Senior, his wife Hattie and nine children. Humbled by Family and Fatherhood, Leadership and Christian Fellowship, and driven by a cry from within his inner soul to make this world a better place, this self-styled . . . — Map (db m7080) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Robert L. Ripley
Robert L. Ripley was an internationally famous artist, writer, radio personality, movie maker, and world explorer. Mr. Ripley visited over 200 countries, and during his travels amassed an eclectic collection of artifacts, curiosities and . . . — Map (db m93169) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Rodriguez-Avero-Sanchez House(An Original House)
Fernando Rodriguez, sergeant in the Spanish Army at the Castillo de San Marcos Fort, built his house on this site during the first Spanish occupation (1565-1763). In 1760, he commissioned Juan Perez, Master Builder, to add the northeast coquina room . . . — Map (db m102365) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Rodriquez-Avero-Sanchez HouseFirst Spanish Colonial Period, Built prior to 1761
This house is a significant example of the evolution of Spanish Colonial dwelling which began as a small, wooden, single-room Spanish domicile. An expanded ground floor built with coquina stone and a second wood floor with dormers was added prior to . . . — Map (db m102366) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Rosario RedoubtUncovered in 2008
Below here lies a segment of the foundation for the Rosario Redoubt, an eight-foot tall masonry fortification constructed in 1762 along the Rosario Line, which formed a part of the colonial city defensive system. — Map (db m70533) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — S.D.W. Smith, Ancient City, Mt. Horeb #20545 King Street "New Augustine"
This Masonic Lodge, built in 1947 with George Morgan as Worshipful Master, was originally organized in 1925 and represents a merger (in 1984) of Prince Hall Lodges—S.D.W. Smith No. 481, Ancient City No. 26, and Mt. Horeb No. 20. This facility . . . — Map (db m76918) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Saint AugustineFirst Permanent European/African/Native American Settlement on U.S. Mainland.
Beginning in the early 1500s and continuing for more than three centuries, about 12 million African were transported across the Atlantic Ocean into slavery, in what has come to be known as the Middle Passage—the largest forced migration in . . . — Map (db m80700) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Sanchez House
This house was built circa 1809 by Francis Xavier Sanchez and his wife, Mary Hill of Charleston, lately of Virginia. That is the probable reason for the English colonial interior rather than the usual Spanish. This house was retouched for posterity . . . — Map (db m46790) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Sanchez-Burt HouseSecond Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1816-1829
Historic records indicate that in 1816 a wooden structure occupied this property and by 1829 it was replaced with this prominent two-story coquina stone structure. Concerted efforts to preserve this structure began during the preservation movement . . . — Map (db m102380) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Santo Domingo RedoubtThe Defensive System of Colonial St. Augustine
Following the 1702 English siege of St. Augustine, the Spanish began construction of a system of peripheral fortifications to protect the town based on the principle of defense-in-depth. Between 1704-1821, the Spanish completed the outworks of the . . . — Map (db m46580) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Santo Domingo RedoubtCartography of the Presidio de San Agustin de la Florida
Historians and archaeologists consulted Colonial and Territorial Period documents to locate the site of the Santo Domingo Redoubt, which was also referred to at various times as the Tolomato Redoubt. Archeological excavations of the Santo Domingo . . . — Map (db m46581) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Santo Domingo RedoubtArchaeology
In 1704, following the English siege of 1702, the Spanish built the Cubo Line to protect the town's northern sector. In the 1730s, they rebuilt the line in anticipation of an English attack from Georgia. In 1808, a time of upheaval in the Spanish . . . — Map (db m46609) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Santo Domingo RedoubtGarrison Life in 1808
The Infantry Regiment of Cuba was formed in 1786-1789 as a result of Spanish military reforms introduced in the second half of the 1700s. The Regiment consisted of three battalion. The First and Second Battalions were assigned to Havana and Santiago . . . — Map (db m46631) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-110 — Sentinels of the Coast
Since early times, coastal towers were important in the defense of St. Augustine. From the wooden lookout here in 1586, Spanish sentries warned of approaching English raiders under Sir Francis Drake. Later the tower was built of stone. It served . . . — Map (db m47391) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Sentry BoxGarita
It enabled the sentry to watch outside the fort to the front and sides, and sheltered him from weather and enemy fire. These turrets were red against the white walls of the fort. You can help save the remaining red plaster by not touching it. — Map (db m46514) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church271 W. King Street — New Augustine
This spiritual and civic citadel was established in 1929 with Rev. R.H. Whittaker as spiritual leader, and Chairman of the Board of Deacons, D.P. Mims. This church, the gateway to New Augustine, experienced phenomenal growth under the inspired . . . — Map (db m77284) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Slave Market
From 1605 to 1765 there stood on this site a guard house and watch tower Under British rule it became the market and place of public auction ever since called the slave marketThis tablet authorized by the following committee appointed by the city . . . — Map (db m46818) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-804 — Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory
The Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory, completed in 1909, is the last remnant in St. Augustine of the cigar industry, whose local origins date to the 1830s. Political unrest drove many Cuban cigar makers to Florida after 1868. Their numbers in St. . . . — Map (db m77391) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-194 — Spanish Dragoon Barracks
A first Spanish period two-story coquina, shingle roofed structure, 33' x 19', erected on the east side of this lot became the barracks for the Spanish dragoons in 1792. Each story had two rooms. One upper room contained a rack for 20 muskets and 40 . . . — Map (db m47058) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Spreading the Wealth Since 1900The Modern Solution for the original “Dirty Job”!
You think your job is tough? Try being a manure spreader in the 1800s. Imagine the relief for farmers when the first practical manure spreader was introduced to the farm in 1900. It was developed and patented by Joseph . . . — Map (db m79592) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Augustine Beach Wade-InsACCORD Freedom Trail
Some of the most widely-publicized events of the civil rights movement took place at St. Augustine Beach in the summer of 1964, when wade-ins were conducted at what had historically been a beach reserved for “Whites Only”. Many . . . — Map (db m40727) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Augustine Confederate Memorial
(Front):Our Dead. In Memoriam our Loved Ones Who gave up Their Lives in the service of The Confederate States Peter Masters. John M. Llambias. Michael G. Llambias. Antonio Mickler. George Mickler. Jacob Mickler. Joseph Noda. Eusebio Pagetti. . . . — Map (db m46810) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Augustine First World War Memorial
(Front):The city of St. Augustine Fiel-Y-Firme Dedicated to victory to peace and to the youth of this city who served their country in the World War 1917 - 1918 (On panels around the memorial):Discovered 1513 by Ponce de Leon . . . — Map (db m46849) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Augustine on Anastasia Island
St. Augustine, the oldest European-settled city in the United States, was located on Anastasia Island from 1566 until 1572. Spanish settlers had founded the city on the west shore of the Matanzas River on Sept. 8, 1565. They built homes and a fort. . . . — Map (db m100739) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-527 — St. Augustine Sea Wall
This portion of the St. Augustine sea wall, extending from King Street to the south end of St. Francis Barracks, was constructed during the period 1833 to 1844. The coquina wall with granite top served as protection for the homes and businesses on . . . — Map (db m47647) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Augustine's BastionBaluarte de San Agustin
This bastion was named after the patron saint of the city. St. Augustine was established in 1565, 42 years before the English settled Jamestown - 55 years before the Pilgrims stepped onto Plymouth Rock. It grew from 800 people in 1565 to 3,000 in . . . — Map (db m46513) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Charles BastionBaluarte de San Carlos
Here in 1740 the sentry rang the alarm whenever he saw a puff of smoke from enemy cannon across the bay. It was the signal for prayer. Only two men in the fort were killed during the 27-day bombardment. — Map (db m46348) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Francis Barracks
These coquina walls were once part of the Franciscan chapel and friary of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, established by missionaries from Spain. Before these walls rose, thatch-roofed wooden building on this site were burned in 1599, rebuilt . . . — Map (db m6000) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Johns Railway
This highway follows closely the route of the old St. Johns Railway between Tocoi Landing on the St. Johns River and St. Augustine. Chartered in 1858. It was the first railroad to serve the city. Steam power was temporarily used on the line in the . . . — Map (db m73857) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Mary's Missionary Baptist69 Washington Street — "Lincolnville"
This church was founded on May 25, 1875, and led by the inspiring Reverend Ivory Barnes, its first minister. The present edifice, occupied beginning in 1937, has held high the banner of Christ. Inspired in its earliest days by the spirit of The . . . — Map (db m77285) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Paul A.M.E. Church85 Central Ave. — Lincolnville
“According to HIS Divine Light. To Each Of Us, God Has Given A Talent; Some to Lead, Some to Follow, Some to Build!” In January 1904, plans were made to build the present church. Rev. E.F. Williams is remembered as architect and . . . — Map (db m73912) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Paul's BastionBaluarte de San Pablo
You are standing in a "bastion," looking along the "curtain" wall toward another "bastion." The angles are planned to expose attackers to cross fire from several walls. — Map (db m46454) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Peter's BastionBaluarte de San Pedro
During Queen Anne's War (1702) English siege trenches came "within a pistol shot" of this point. English ships blockaded the harbor and 500 soldiers and indians took the town. The Castillo offered the only safety, so 200 Spanish soldiers and 1300 . . . — Map (db m46510) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-826 — The 1886 Old Drugstore
Before the construction of this two-story wood frame structure in 1886, this site marked the intersection of the Cubo and Rosario lines, earthen embankments that fortified colonial St. Augustine during the late 18th century. Tolomato Indians . . . — Map (db m90513) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The 1910 Mary Peck House
Constructed shortly after the turn-of-the-century near the Castillo del San Marcos, the Mary Peck House has undergone nearly as many changes as the post-Flagler period St. Augustine in which it was built. In the past century, the street in front . . . — Map (db m79689) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Alcazar Hotel
The Alcazar Hotel, opened by Henry Flagler on December 25, 1888, was designed by his architects, Carrere and Hastings. Flagler ordered it built to provide activities for wealthy winter visitors. It was the center of social life for half a century . . . — Map (db m47051) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Boat Basin
A Boat Basin at the east end of the Plaza was constructed as part of the new coquina seawall of 1840. This Basin was important to St. Augustine residents who depended on the river and harbor for their livelihood, travel, and recreation. This photo . . . — Map (db m92981) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Builders were Human
In 1682, a new engineer found that this bastion had been built 3 feet too low! By 1686, such mistakes were corrected. Labor for the fort included 100 Indians and Spaniards, plus a few convicts and slaves. Indian laborers got 20¢ per day; masons, . . . — Map (db m46455) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Cubo LineSanto Domingo Redoubt & City Gate
Following the 1702 English siege of St. Augustine, the Spanish began construction of a defensive system to protect the Presidio. The Cubo Line, built in 1704 to safeguard the town's northern sector, was the first line of defense the Spanish raised. . . . — Map (db m46634) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Francis and Mary Usina Bridge
Named in honor of the St. Augustine and North Beach civic leaders, Francis E. and Mary Borum Usina. Just as the bridge spans the North River to connect the St. Augustine mainland with Vilano and North Beach, so too the Usinas were strong links . . . — Map (db m47557) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Great Cross
This Great Cross marks the approximate site where in 1565 the Cross of Christianity was first permanently planted in what is now the United States. It is a beacon of the faith to remind all those who pass this way, by land or by sea, of the . . . — Map (db m4638) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Minorcan Heritage
The Minorcans, some 1,300 people of Mediterranean origins, were brought to Florida in 1768 as contract employees to farm a large indigo plantation at New Smyrna, 70 miles south of St. Augustine. Though most came from the island of Minorca off the . . . — Map (db m72960) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-521 — The Old St. Johns County Jail
Built in 1891, the St. Johns County Jail held prisoners until 1953. The previous county jail was located next to the Hotel Ponce de Leon in downtown St. Augustine, Florida. Henry Morrison Flagler (1830-1913), co-founder of the Standard Oil . . . — Map (db m79613) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Oldest Presbyterian Church in Florida
The oldest Presbyterian church in Florida was organized June 10, 1824, as the First Presbyterian Church of St. Augustine. The first church building was erected on this site January 1, 1825. In 1890 the congregation moved into the new sanctuary which . . . — Map (db m108142) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Plaza Building
Built in 1888. Originally housed The Surprise Store, "The largest and leading Department Store on Florida's East Coast". In 1934 it became The Plaza Hotel. From 1949-1986 it was the home of Potter's Wax Museum. — Map (db m93401) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Powder House Lot / St Johns County
(north side) The Powder House Lot In 1797–1800, the Spanish built on this site a coquina structure with tile roof and masonry fence, to store 100,000 pounds of gunpowder. A smaller structure was also built to serve as guard . . . — Map (db m100593) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Rosario Defense LinePresidio San Agustín
The Rosario Defense LineThis earthen embankment re-creates a section of the defense wall that protected Spanish St. Augustine against attack in the 1700s. After crossing the natural moat on the outside of the wall formed by Maria Sánchez Creek . . . — Map (db m47063) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Salcedo House(Former Home of Jorge Biassou)
Here on this site, 42 St. George Street, stood the home of the nation's first Black general, Jorge Biassou, who came to St. Augustine from his native St. Domingue (today the nation of Haiti) in 1796 as an officer of the Spanish militia. General . . . — Map (db m70979) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-351 — The Segui-Kirby Smith House
The Segui-Kirby Smith House is one of only 36 Spanish Colonial houses remaining in St. Augustine. The house dates from the late 1700s. The site on which it is situated has been continuously occupied since the late 1500s. In 1786 it became the . . . — Map (db m107411) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The St. Augustine Foot Soldiers Monument
(Front panel) Dedicated to those who participated in the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s in St. Augustine. They protested racial discrimination by marching, picketing, kneeling-in at churches, sitting-in at lunch counters, wading-in at . . . — Map (db m74381) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-745 — The Ximenez-Fatio House
This two-story coquina house and detached kitchen was built for Spanish merchant Andres Ximenez ca. 1798 for use as a general store, tavern, and family residence. After Florida became a U.S. Territory in 1821, Margaret Cook bought the property in . . . — Map (db m93365) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Tolomato Cemetery
During the First Spanish Period, prior to 1763, this site was occupied by the Christian Indian village of Tolomato, with its chapel and burying ground served by Franciscan missionaries. The village was abandoned when Great Britain acquired Florida. . . . — Map (db m47388) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Tolomato Indian Village
A 1737 map of the city of St. Augustine describes the site of Tolomato Cemetery as "the church and village of Tolomato, an Indian village served by Franciscan priests." The Tolomato Indians were Guale refugees fleeing attacks on their mission . . . — Map (db m47389) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Tolomato StreetEl Rosario Redoubt
. . . — Map (db m47055) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-323 — Tovar House
The infantryman Jose Tovar lived on this corner in 1763. The original site and size of his house remained unchanged during the British period, when John Johnson, a Scottish merchant, lived here. After the Spanish returned in 1784, Jose Coruna, a . . . — Map (db m77286) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Treasury/Dr. Peck Housec.a. 1750
Recognized as an Original Colonial Structure by the City of St. Augustine — Map (db m102385) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Triay-Hall House1807
An original Minorcan home constructed of coquina stone and owned by members of the Triay family until 1885. Restored in 1951 by the St. Augustine Historical Society. Acquired by Robert Gudrun Hall in 1963, and placed in 1986 on the National Register . . . — Map (db m93366) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Trinity Parish ChurchEpiscopal
The Church of England was established in Florida during the British occupation (1763-1783). The Reverend John Forbes held services first in the Spanish Bishop's House then on this site. Later, the ancient Spanish church a short distance south on St. . . . — Map (db m46850) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Twine Park
Henry L. Twine (1923-1994) and his wife Katherine “Kat” Twine (1925-2002) were longtime Lincolnville residents and prominent community leaders for who this neighborhood park was named. They were both active in the civil rights movement . . . — Map (db m77261) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — U.S. Shot Furnace
This structure is a hot shot furnace for heating cannon balls to be shot at wooden vessels and to set them on fire. It is part of the water battery built by the U.S. (1842-44) when this side of the moat was filled in and guns were mounted on the . . . — Map (db m46546) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Vigia de San CarlosSt. Charles Watchtower
Signals were exchanged between this tower and a similar one across Matanzas Bay, on the ocean shore near the present lighthouse. — Map (db m46450) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-373 — Villa Zorayda(Zorayda Castle)
The Villa Zorayda was constructed in 1883 as the winter home of Franklin Smith, a Boston millionaire who was so impressed by the magnificence of the Alhambra Palace which he saw during a visit to Granada, Spain, that he decided to build his house as . . . — Map (db m102737) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Villalonga HouseReconstructed - 1976
Home of Bartolome Villalonga (1789-1825), son of Juan Villalonga of Minorca, and husband of Maria Acosta, of Corsican Greek parentage, erected between 1815 and 1820. — Map (db m102378) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-336 — Warden Winter Home
The Warden Winter Home was built in 1887 for William G. Warden of Philadelphia. A partner with Henry Flagler and John D. Rockefeller in the Standard Oil Company, Warden was also the President of the St. Augustine Gas and Electric Light Company and . . . — Map (db m46681) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — WellPozo
After 1740, this well was the only source of water inside the fort. — Map (db m46540) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — William Wing Loring
(Front):In memory of a distinguished American solider, citizen of St. Augustine, Fla. Born December 4, 1818. Died December 30, 1885. His courage in battle was conspicuous; His devotion to duty unfailing; His ability recognized by three . . . — Map (db m47015) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Ximenez-Fatio HouseSecond Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca 1798
This property is a significant example of Spanish, British and American architectural influences. The one story kitchen building is as old as the original rectangular two story house. An addition to the house, being used then as a boarding house, . . . — Map (db m108341) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-478 — Zora Neale Hurston
Noted author Zora Neale Hurston (1891-1960) rented a room in this house in 1942. One of the few surviving buildings closely linked with Hurston’s life, it is an example of frame Vernacular construction, with cool, north-facing porches on both . . . — Map (db m77257) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Canova-Prince Murat HouseSecond Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1815
Building patterns were influenced by the royal decree of 1573 to situate buildings and walls along the street edge for defensive purposes. The Prince Murat house is one of the remaining Spanish Colonial buildings and is significant for its . . . — Map (db m108318) HM

183 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement