Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
39 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in St. Marys

 
Battle for Georgia Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brandon D Cross, November 19, 2017
Battle for Georgia Marker
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Battle for GeorgiaFort Frederica National Monument
Georgia’s fate was decided in 1742 when Spanish and British forces clashed on St. Simons Island. Fort Frederica’s troops defeated the Spanish, ensuring Georgia’s future as a British colony. Today, the National Park Service manages Fort Frederica . . . — Map (db m112210) HM
2Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Captain Lemuel Johnson Memorial and Park
This park is a memorial to Captain Lemuel Johnson- Confederate Veteran and benefactor of this city 1918 — Map (db m103545) WM
3Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — 020-10 — City of St. Marys
This town was built on the north bank of the St. Marys River at a place called Buttermilk Bluff. The original tract of land, containing 1620 acres, was purchased by the proprietors for laying out the Town of St. Marys for Jacob Weed for thirty eight . . . — Map (db m14180) HM
4Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Clark-Bessant House
In this house Aaron Burr fleeing after duel with Alexander Hamilton, and later General Winfield Scott returning from Indian campaign in Florida, were entertained by Major Archibald Clark. W.P.A. 1936. — Map (db m103543) HM
5Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — 020-4 — First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840
Grown from pecan nuts found floating at sea by Capt. Samuel F. Flood and planted by his wife, nee Rebecca Grovenstine, on Block 47. The remainder of these nuts were planted by St. Joseph Sebastian Arnow in the north half of Block 26. These . . . — Map (db m14398) HM
6Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — 020-1 — First Presbyterian Church
Built by public subscription as a place of divine worship for inhabitants of St. Marys and its vicinity. Reverend Horace Southworth Pratt was ordained and installed as the first pastor by the Presbytery of Georgia in June, 1822. Incorporated under . . . — Map (db m21062) HM
7Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — George Washington Oak Tree Site
Following the death of President George Washington on December 14, 1799, local citizens and members of Camden Lodge #16 planted six oak trees in a memorial service honoring this famous Statesman, Soldier and Free Mason. This . . . — Map (db m63927) HM
8Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Georgia’s Coastal Gem:Cumberland Island National Seashore — St. Marys History Walk —
Just seven miles by water from this spot, Cumberland Island National Seashore is home to a rich mosaic of historic sites and natural beauty. Revolutionary War hero Nathanael Greene purchased land there in 1783. Following his death, his . . . — Map (db m144961) HM
9Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Georgia’s Spanish PeriodSt. Marys History Walk
From roughly 1568 through 1684, twelve Spanish missions were established from St. Augustine to what is now coastal South Carolina. On Cumberland Island, the Franciscan mission San Pedro de Mocama ministered to the Native Americans. The . . . — Map (db m144956) HM
10Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Industry finds St. MarysLogs to Lumber — St. Marys History Walk —
Prior to the 1860s, commercial logging occurred primarily along navigable streams where logs could be floated to downstream ports. “Johnstone’s Mills” was clearly marked on a 1790 map of the local area and, in 1802, Archibald Clark . . . — Map (db m145196) HM
11Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Industry finds St. MarysCanning in Camden — St. Marys History Walk —
In 1912, three canning plants began operations in St. Marys. “Davis and Brandon” had a plant near Oak Grove cemetery specializing in the preservation of local shrimp, string beans and sweet potatoes. The Hardee Brothers canned shrimp . . . — Map (db m145206) HM
12Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Industry finds St. Marys:Riding the Rails — St. Marys History Walk —
The state of Georgia issued a charter in 1856 for a St. Marys “Rail-Road” company. Shortly after Lemuel Johnson moved to St. Marys in the early 1900s, “the city of St. Marys granted land to his railroad…In 1908 the tracks . . . — Map (db m145203) HM
13Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Industry finds St. Marys:Pine Gum to Turpentine to Paper — St. Marys History Walk —
The 1870s saw a county-wide boom in the production of turpentine, a resin distilled from the gum of pine trees. Gum harvesting was labor-intensive, back-breaking and conducted during the hottest, most humid time of year. After collection, the gum . . . — Map (db m145266) HM
14Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — International Border TownSt. Marys History Walk
Today, the St. Marys River is the border between Georgia and Florida. During much of its history St. Marys was the southernmost community to separate two nations. Georgians closely watched their neighbors to the south. The fledging nation . . . — Map (db m145199) HM
15Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Orange Hallc. 1830 – c. 1838
Orange Hall takes its name from the large sour orange trees, which used to encircle the property. Built for Rev. Horace Southworth Pratt, it is a showcase of antebellum life in the Greek Revival style. — Map (db m144743) HM
16Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — 020-8 — Point Peter
East of here, at the junction of Peter Creek and the St. Marys river, the British built Fort Tonyn in 1776; controlling the southern part of the colony of Georgia for two years. In 1778, American Revolutionary forces, both land and water, forced . . . — Map (db m81753) HM
17Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — 20-2 — Point Peter Battery and the War of 1812
In 1795 a cannon battery constructed on the Point Peter peninsula became the southernmost fortification in the First System of U.S. coastal defenses. Vacated in 1802, it was reoccupied and strengthened in 1808 to provide support for the enforcement . . . — Map (db m16320) HM
18Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Shipbuilding Launched in St. MarysSt. Marys History Walk
Live Oak, widely used in early American shipbuilding , made St. Marys a natural site for shipyard enterprise. Lumber from the live oak was specifically used to make curved and especially strong , structural members of the hull. In the 1790s, Col. . . . — Map (db m145242) HM
19Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Ships Under Sail:Connecting St. Marys to the World — St. Marys History Walk —
A naturally deep river, the St. Marys was utilized by Native Americans long before European explorers documented its existence. Later, slavers, smugglers, and pirates plied the river in their tall ships and river craft, industrious in their . . . — Map (db m144992) HM
20Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Southern SignatureSt. Marys History Walk
Many downtown historic homes showcase the architecture and lifestyle of the South. The oldest home in St. Marys , the 1801 Archibald Clark House was occupied by British forces during the War of 1812. Orange Hall is a stellar example of Greek . . . — Map (db m144935) HM
21Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Spanish Occupation of Georgia
. . . — Map (db m63750) HM
22Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — 020-11 — St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800Celebrated Sesqui-Centennial 1949
This church is the oldest religious organization in the city, although not the oldest church building. George Clark served as the first missionary to the people here in 1792. John Garvin was the first appointed Pastor to St. Marys in 1799. Methodist . . . — Map (db m23044) HM
23Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — St. Marys: A Military Town for 200+ YearsSt. Marys History Walk
By 1740, English General James Oglethorpe had established two forts (Fort St. Andrew and Fort William) on Cumberland Island to monitor the Spanish to the south. When the St. Marys River separated nations, America’s military had an important . . . — Map (db m144959) HM
24Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Tall Ships in the HarborSt. Marys History Walk
Pre-Colonial St. Marys saw visits by European maritime powers in carracks, galleys, galleons and galeota. Historians have said that at one time up to 300 such ships lay at anchor in the St. Marys River. In the 1800s to mid-1900s, boatyards dotted . . . — Map (db m144988) HM
25Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Birth of a CitySt. Marys History Walk
Plans for the town of St. Marys, originally known as Buttermilk Bluff, were conceived by the British in 1767. The Articles of Agreement were signed on Cumberland Island in 1787 when the first American owner Jacob Weed, divided and sold land to 19 . . . — Map (db m144903) HM
26Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Civil War Comes to St. MarysSt. Marys History Walk
In January 1861, at Milledgeville, Georgia , St. Marys’ representatives voted for secession from the Union and formed the “Saint Marys Volunteers,” later called the “Camden Chasseurs.” All able-bodied men were sent to join . . . — Map (db m144971) HM
27Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Civil War: Local LandmarksSt. Marys History Walk
Methodist Chapel - The St. Marys United Methodist Church has a circa 1856 chapel that was used as a butcher house by Union troops. Church records state, "The town was in possession of the enemy – the church closed – the flock . . . — Map (db m144986) HM
28Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Civil War: Local PeopleSt. Marys History Walk
Diary of Julia Johnson Fisher, Entry dated April 21, 1864 We are short allowances today. A saucer of rice and skim milk for dinner. We shock a half pint of cream in a glass jar and thus have produced our first butter—perhaps a small tea cup . . . — Map (db m144976) HM
29Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Enduring GullahGeechee Culture — St. Marys History Walk —
Gullah (the name given to the islanders of South Carolina) and Geechee (the name given to islanders of Georgia) culture is linked to West African ethnic groups enslaved on island plantations to grow rice, indigo and cotton as early as 1750. In . . . — Map (db m145195) HM
30Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Forgotten BattleThe War of 1812 — St. Marys History Walk —
President Harry S. Truman called The War of 1812 “the silliest damned war we ever fought. It should have been resolved through diplomacy.” Nevertheless, Congress declared war against Great Britain on June 18, 1812. The war was mainly . . . — Map (db m145198) HM
31Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Forgotten Battle’sBlack Refugees — St. Marys History Walk —
In April 1814, British Vice-Admiral Alexander Cochrane issued a Proclamation encouraging any person who wished to withdraw from the United States to board British ships “as freed men” bound for British colonies. Hundreds of black . . . — Map (db m144925) HM
32Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Last Battles of The War of 1812St. Marys History Walk
Even though the Treaty of Ghent ending the War of 1812 had been signed on December 24, 1814, and the British had sustained a stunning defeat at the Battle of New Orleans January 8, 1815, the war still came to St. Marys. On January 13, 1815, an . . . — Map (db m145246) HM
33Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Lost Native Americansof the Southeast Coast — St. Marys History Walk —
Prior to European settlement, Southeast Georgia was populated by Timucua Indians known as Mocama. Severely diminished due to infectious diseases and conflict, the Mocama were evacuated to Cuba by the Spanish in 1763, prior to extinction. Living . . . — Map (db m145016) HM
34Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The St Marys Peace GardenBinational Heritage Peace Garden Trail — Dedicated Jul 4, 2012 —
St. Marys has been occupied since the mid 1500s and was founded in 1787. Within historic Oak Grove Cemetery is the final resting place of the Arcadians who were driven from Arcadia by the English. After years of sorrow, fear and loss they found . . . — Map (db m144901) HM
35Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The State Of Georgia Salutes
•The 77,000 Georgians who served in World War I; the 1,937 KIA; 3,319 WIA; 67 Ex-POWS and 54 MIA •The 324,373 Georgians who served in World War II; the 6,781 KIA; 11,650 WIA; 652 Ex-POWS and 364 MIA •The 75,000 Georgians who served in the . . . — Map (db m137147) HM WM
36Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Tragic AcadiansSt. Marys History Walk
These French-speaking refugees were forced to leave their homes in Nova Scotia by the British during the French & Indian War (1754-1763). The descendants of these oppressed Acadians ultimately sought refuge in St. Marys in the late 1790s after . . . — Map (db m144939) HM
37Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Washington Pump & OakSt. Marys History Walk
St. Marys’ fresh drinking water was provided by six original wells. The last working well, located in the median in front of Orange Hall, was polluted by flooding. When George Washington died in 1799, St. Marys’ citizens marched from the . . . — Map (db m145204) HM
38Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — 020-3 — Washington Pump & Oak
There were originally six wells one in each square, the only source of pure water for St. Marys, (until the tidal wave of 1818). On the day that the Father of the Country was buried at Mt. Vernon local services were also held throughout the . . . — Map (db m14178) HM
39Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — WeatheringThe War of 1812 — St. Marys History Walk —
Put in place in 1810, U.S. Navy gunboats, small row-able riverboats placed in service by President Thomas Jefferson to defend home waters of the U.S., were stationed at Naval Station St. Marys/Pt. Peter. In September 1813, a Category 3 hurricane . . . — Map (db m144924) HM
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 23, 2020