Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

St. Simons Island, Georgia Historical Markers

 
A Clash Of Cultures Marker, and Marble Monument image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, September 20, 2008
A Clash Of Cultures Marker, and Marble Monument
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — A Clash Of Cultures
The skirmish at Bloody Marsh was more than a battle. It was a clash of cultures - each vying for control of what is now the southeastern United States. Soldiers from Hispanic colonies in the New World fought under the Spanish banner, with the . . . — Map (db m63869) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — A Man Named Wesley Passed This Way / Lovely Lane Chapel
On October 21, 1735, John and Charles Wesley and General James Oglethorpe (founder of the colony of Georgia) and eighty-four other passengers sailed from England on the ship "The Simmonds". After a hundred and fourteen days they sailed into the . . . — Map (db m12549) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — A Mission By The Sea / Susannah Wesley
(Front) A Mission By The SeaIn 1949, the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church purchased 43.53 acres of the Hamilton Plantation from the Sea Island Company for a Christian conference center. They named "Epworth" after the . . . — Map (db m12553) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — A New House?Fort Frederica National Monument
“Two coins were found on the floor. One was a British penny dated 1755, and the other was a United States cent dated 1798.” Archeological Report The life span of Frederica was brief. Most of the ruins you see represent . . . — Map (db m70227) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Battle of Bloody Marsh
We are resolved not to suffer defeat - we will rather die like Leonidas and his Spartans - if we can but protect Georgia and Carolina and the rest of the Americans from desolation             Oglethorpe Erected on the battlefield . . . — Map (db m63868) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-42 — Battle of Gully Hole Creek
During the late morning of July 7, 1742 Georgia Rangers guarding the military road approach to the town of Frederica sighted a force of over 100 Spanish soldiers and their Indian allies. James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia, quickly . . . — Map (db m11634) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Broad StreetFort Frederica National Monument
"The town is divided into several ? streets along ? sides are planted orange trees… London Magazine 1745 Imagine a typical day here on Broad Street in the early 1740s. Women worked in fenced gardens. Children played in the streets. . . . — Map (db m70223) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 63-9 — Cannon's Point Plantation
In 1793 John Couper, with his partner James Hamilton, purchased Cannon's Point in northeastern St. Simons Island. In addition to the production of cotton, Couper experimented with citrus trees, grapes, date palms from Persia, mulberry trees for silk . . . — Map (db m30167) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Captain Gascoigne
In 1736 Captain Gascoigne of the British Sloop-of War Hawk,established here at Gascoigne Bluff the base for the naval defense of the Colony of Georgia. The Spaniards landed here in the invasion of 1742. In 1794 Live Oak timbers were cut on . . . — Map (db m13414) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Cassina Garden Club Houses
These houses were slave cabins on the Gascoigne Bluff section of Hamilton Plantation which was developed in 1793 by James Hamilton into one of the largest estates on St. Simons Island. Eventually this Gascoigne Bluff area was given to Glynn . . . — Map (db m11810) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-35 — Christ Church Cemetery
Here are buried former Rectors of Christ Church and their families, the families of early settlers and of plantation days, officers of the British Army, and soldiers of every war in which our country fought. The oldest tombstone is dated 1803 but it . . . — Map (db m12346) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-33A — Christ Episcopal Church
This congregation was established as a mission of the Church of England in February, 1736. The Rev. Charles Wesley, ordained priest of that Church, conducted the first services in the chapel within the walls of Fort Frederica. The Rev. John Wesley, . . . — Map (db m17449) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Couper's Point
. . . — Map (db m14041) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-39 — Delegal's Fort
The first fortification built by the British on the South End of St. Simons Island was erected near this site in April, 1736, by soldiers of the South Carolina Independent Company under the command of Lieutenant Philip Delegal. Before coming to St. . . . — Map (db m12167) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-3 — Demere Road
From the site of the Battle of Bloody Marsh to the intersection with Ocean Boulevard, this road is part of the Military Road, sometimes called The King’s High Road, which was built by Frederica settlers in 1738 to connect Fort Frederica and Fort St. . . . — Map (db m12473) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Early History of St. Simons Island
The Spanish established several missions along Georgia's coastal sea islands. Two missions were located on St. Simons Island, called " Isla De Guadalquini" by the Spanish: Santo Domingo de Asajo (Guale) and San Buenaventura de Guadalquini . . . — Map (db m13431) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Epworth By The Sea / Epworth Pioneers
Epworth by the SeaJohn and Charles Wesley were born in a parsonage with thatched roof and solidly built walls in Epworth, England. This home was destroyed by fire when John was six years old. All the family were able to escape except John. From . . . — Map (db m12560) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Epworth-By-The-Sea
On this island in 1736 and 1737 lived and labored John and Charles Wesley, George Whitefield, Benjamin Ingham and Charles Delamotte. Leaders in the evangelical revival and founders of The Methodist Church.

They left an imperishable record . . . — Map (db m129260) HM

Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Fort Frederica
In 1736, on this historic site, Fort Frederica was constructed by the early settlers of the Colony of Georgia under General James Edward Oglethorpe. It was the strongest fortification built by Great Britain on American soil and its purpose was to . . . — Map (db m18909) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Fort Saint Simons
. . . — Map (db m12183) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Fort St. Simons
On this site Fort St.Simons was built by English troops under command of General James Edward Oglethorpe in 1738. It guarded the entrance to the Frederica River through which ships must pass to reach Fort Frederica. With nearby Delegal's Fort, . . . — Map (db m81904) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Fort St. Simons
British settlement on St. Simons Island dates from 1736 when General James Edward Oglethorpe established the fortified town of Frederica seven miles northwest of today's lighthouse. Fort Frederica served as a defense against the Spanish in Florida . . . — Map (db m106265) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Frederica
" Frederica is situated on the Island of St. Simons, in the middle of an Indian field where our people found 30 or 40 acres cleared by them." Francis Moore 1736 A Voyage to Georgia The first british settlers landed here . . . — Map (db m18823) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Frederica - Candlemaker
John Calwell, the candlemaker, " had built lately a large house of three storied high which was looked on to be the best in town, with storehouses, etc. for carrying on the trade..." Journal of William Stephens June 25, 1745 During . . . — Map (db m18906) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Frederica - Huts and Houses
" Some houses are built entirely of brick, some of brick and wood, some few of tappy-work; but most of the meaner sort of wood only." London Magazine 1745 When Frederica was established in 1736, each freeholder was given a lot 60 foot . . . — Map (db m18905) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Frederica - Indian Interpreter
Mary Musgrove Matthews " has always been in great esteen with the General,... for being half Indian by extract, she had a very great influence upon many of them, particulary the Creek Nation...." William Stephens February 22, 1740 . . . — Map (db m18908) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Frederica - Military Road
" The inhabitants of the town went out on the 25th [September 1738] with the General and cut a road through the woods down to the soldiers fort..." Gentleman's Magazine January 1739 In front of you lies the trace of the . . . — Map (db m18911) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Frederica - Oglethorpe
This remnant is all that time has spared of the citadel of the town of Frederica built by General Oglethorpe A.D. 1736 As an outpost against The Spanish in Florida — Map (db m18919) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Frederica - Old Burial Ground
" This Frederica is a very strange place; it was once a town-the town,the metropolis of the island." Francis Anne Kemble Visitor to Frederica 1839 Here, in unknown graves more than two centries old, lie many of the early settlers of . . . — Map (db m18907) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Frederica - The Barricks
" There are barracks in the town on the north side,ninety feet square, built of tappy, covered by cypress shingles; and a handsome tower over the gateway...." London Magazine October 23, 1747 At the time of the Spanish attack in 1742, . . . — Map (db m18917) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Frederica - The Fort
" In the morning, Mr. Oglethorpe began to mark out a fort with four bastions, and taught the men how to dig the ditch, and raise and turf the rampart." Francis Moore 1736 A Voyage to Georgia General Oglethorpe chose this . . . — Map (db m18915) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-12 — Gascoigne Bluff
Throughout the ages Gascoigne Bluff has been the gateway to St. Simons Island. An Indian village was located here. Capt. James Gascoigne of HM Sloop-of-war, HAWK, which convoyed the Frederica settlers on their voyage across the Atlantic in 1736, . . . — Map (db m12229) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-13 — Gascoigne Bluff
Throughout the ages Gascoigne Bluff has been the gateway to St. Simons Island. An Indian village was located here. Capt. James Gascoigne of HM Sloop-of-was, HAWK, which convoyed the Frederica settlers on their voyage across the Atlantic in 1736, . . . — Map (db m13415) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-8 — German Village»—→
Here in 1736, Oglethorpe settled a group of German Lutherans, known as Salzburgers, and their settlement was called the German Village. These Salzburgers made their living by planting, fishing, and selling their products to the Frederica settlers. . . . — Map (db m12389) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 63-8 — Hamilton Plantation
In 1800 James Hamilton, with his partner John Couper, purchased land at Gascoigne Bluff. Under Hamilton’s stewardship, Hamilton Plantation became one of the major St. Simons producers of long-staple cotton. After Hamilton moved to Philadelphia, . . . — Map (db m19084) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 63-10 — Hampton Plantation
In 1774 Major Pierce Butler of South Carolina purchased Hampton Point in northwestern St. Simons Island, and by the 1790s Hampton was developed into the island's largest cotton plantation in land and slave population. Signer of the Constitution and . . . — Map (db m51975) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-9 — Harrington Hall»—→
Capt. Raymond Demere, a native of France, served many years in the British army at Gibraltar before coming to Georgia in 1738 as an officer in Oglethorpe´s Regiment. His home, Harrington Hall, was located at this site. Later generations of . . . — Map (db m14670) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Historic St. Simons Lighthouse
. . . — Map (db m13430) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Keepers of the Light
The present lighthouse was commissioned by the U.S. Government in 1867 to be built adjacent to the site of the 1810 tower. The 104' tower and keeper's dwelling were designed by the noted architect Charles Clusky. Clusky and . . . — Map (db m13486) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Lovely Lane Chapel
[Left panel] Constructed in 1880 by Norman Dodge, repaired in 1897 after a hurricane damaged it, the Chapel was designed by architect G.W.Laine of Atlanta. It was originally known as Union Church and later connsecrated [sic] as St. James . . . — Map (db m12552) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — North Atlantic Right WhaleMother and Calf Georgia's State Marine Mammal
In February of 1984, an expedition launched from St. Simons Island discovered the calving grounds of the North Atlantic Right Whale. Female whales give birth in nearby coastal waters during the winter months; But the young calves and their . . . — Map (db m55024) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-6 — Old Spanish Garden
Spain maintained missions along this coast for more than a century. Beginning in 1568 Jesuit and, later, Franciscan missionaries labored to Christianize the Indians and cultivated in the mission gardens figs, peaches, oranges and other plants . . . — Map (db m12430) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Pike's Bluff
In circa 1740, James Oglethorpe established a watch house west of here on the bank of the Frederica River. In 1745, Edward Kimber described this site as a place "from whence they can see Vessels a great Way to the Northward" and it served as a . . . — Map (db m73889) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-7 — Retreat Plantation
In 1804 William Page purchased land on St. Simons Sound and named it Retreat. With later purchases, Retreat became one of the preeminent plantations on St. Simons Island for the production of long-staple cotton. In 1827 the Pages' only child, Anna . . . — Map (db m125106) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Reverends John & Charles Wesley / Wesley Memorial Garden
Side 1: Reverends John & Charles Wesley “About 3:30 in the afternoon I first set foot on St. Simons Island and immediately my spirits revived.” Charles Wesley, March 9, 1736. Ordained ministers of the . . . — Map (db m58588) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 63-3 — S.S. Oklahoma and Esso Baton Rouge Attacked by U-123
After midnight on April 8, 1942, the German submarine U-123 was in position off the St. Simons Island sea buoy. Minutes later it chased and torpedoed two tankers, the Oklahoma and Esso Baton Rouge, killing twenty-two crew members. Survivors were . . . — Map (db m15609) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Shoemaker and SoldierFort Frederica National Monument
“The soldiers have the privilege of cutting timber and building houses for their families, which many have done, and thrive very well.” London Magazine 1747 The first settler on this lot was John LeValley, Jr., a . . . — Map (db m70226) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-4A — Sinclair Plantation
This was the plantation of Archibald Sinclair, tything man of the town of Frederica. In 1765 it was granted to Donald Forbes as bounty land for his services in Oglethorpe`s regiment. Forbes sold to Gen. Lachlan McIntosh of Revolutionary War fame, . . . — Map (db m12509) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — St. Simons Island
From March 9 - May 12, 1738, Charles Wesley, secretary to James Oglethorpe, was Anglican cleric to the founders of Fort Frederica. His stern discipline earned disfavor among the colonists and Oglethorpe. John Wesley, religious leaders of the colony . . . — Map (db m12155) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 63-4 — St. Simons Park
St. Simons park was the site of a Mocama Indian village of approximately 100-200 people. The inhabitants used marine resources, agriculture, square wattle and daub houses, stamped and incised Irene style ceramics, and burial mounds characteristic of . . . — Map (db m12262) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Strong Walls From RefuseFort Frederica Natinal Monument
The settlers of St Simon’s Island in the 1700s used an unusual building material—oyster shells. The colonists found piles of them when they arrived here, discards from long-ago feasts of the local Guale and Mocama Indians. These mounds of . . . — Map (db m70176) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — TavernkeepersFort Frederica National Monument
Ann and Levi Bennett, “kept a good public house there (Frederica), and after her husband’s death married (Samuel) Lee who is an idle fellow, and her businesses is almost lost.” A List of the Early Settlers of Georgia 1763 . . . — Map (db m70228) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — The First Light House ~ 1810
In 1804, Scottish-born plantation owner John Couper sold four acres of land for $1 to the new United States government to build the first St. Simons Light Station.James Gould was hired to design and build the lighthouse . . . — Map (db m13463) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — The Flesh MarketFort Frederica National Monument
“In short, provisions in general are plentiful; venison, beef, pork at two pence, half-penny per pound, and sometimes under. Fish extremely cheap.” William Thompson, London Magazine 1747 Records identify this lot as the . . . — Map (db m70225) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 63-6 — The Georgia Navy
During the American Revolution four heavily-armed row galleys were constructed in Savannah for the Georgia Navy, all underwritten by the Continental Congress. In nearby Frederica River, beginning at dawn on April 19, 1778, Georgia galleys Lee, . . . — Map (db m10088) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — The Historic St. Simons Light Station
Surely the most important aspect of the lighthouse to the mariner is the light that emanates from the tower. The tall, white beacon also serves as a day-mark. The light, a 1,000 watt electric bulb, is reflected by a fixed 3rd Order . . . — Map (db m13464) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — The Military Road
The Military Road connecting Fort Frederica with Fort Saint Simons, crossed at this point. Built in 1738 by British forces under Oglethorpe and used during the Battle of Bloody Marsh. W.P.A. 1936 D.A.R. — Map (db m72672) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — The Town WallFort Frederica National Monument
“The town is surrounded by a rampart with flankers, of the same thickness with that round the fort…” London Magazine 1745 The tree-covered embankment in front of you is a remnant of a mile-long earthen wall that once . . . — Map (db m73888) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-34A — The Wesley Oak
Not far from this spot stood the "great tree" under which Charles Wesley had prayers and preached, March 14, 1736, the first Sunday after his arrival. There were about twenty people present, among whom was Mr. Oglethorpe. A year later, Georgia . . . — Map (db m12370) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — The World Is My Parish
. . . — Map (db m70178) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Welcome to St. Simons Light!
The Lighthouse and Keeper's Dwelling were completed in 1872, replacing the Lighthouse destroyed during the Civil War. Orlando Poe, chief engineer for the U.S. Lighthouse Board, supervised the design. Charles Cluskey, the architect of many . . . — Map (db m106303) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1774 William Bartram came to Frederica. He explored St. Simons Island and noted the flora and beautiful live oaks. — Map (db m11639) HM

62 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.