Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Stafford, Virginia Historical Markers

 
Stafford County Face image, Touch for more information
By Kevin White, August 24, 2007
Stafford County Face
Virginia (Prince William County), Stafford — Z-158 — Prince William County / Stafford County
Prince William County, named for William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and third son of King George II, was officially formed from Stafford and King George Counties in 1731. Manassas was designated the county seat in 1892. Previously the county . . . — Map (db m2160) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — 11th Corps Road
On 15 Feb 1863 Major-General Joseph Hooker directed that the road passing about one mile to the west of Brooke's Station and leading to Stafford Court House be put in condition to be practicable for artillery at all times, corduroying it where . . . — Map (db m65213) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — E-49 — Accokeek Iron Furnace
The Principio Company constructed the Accokeek Iron Furnace nearby about 1726 on land leased from Augustine Washington (father of George Washington), who became a partner. After Washington’s death in 1743, his son Lawrence inherited his interest in . . . — Map (db m2261) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — E-90 — Aquia Church
Here is Aquia Church, the church of Overwharton Parish, formed before 1680 by the division of Potomac Parish. It was built in 1757, on the site of an earlier church, in the rectorship of Reverend John Moncure, who was the parish minister from 1738 . . . — Map (db m7642) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Aquia Landing
Aquia Landing was a significant gateway for enslaved people seeking freedom, including William and Ellen Craft, Henry “Box” Brown, and John Washington. Aquia Landing was the RF&P Railroad terminus from 1842-1872, and the only direct . . . — Map (db m75940) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Austin Run Pyrite MineStafford, Virginia
Pyrite, an important source of sulfuric acid, was discovered in Stafford in 1902. Mining commenced near Smith Reservoir in 1903 but soon moved south to Garrisonville Road in what is now Hampton Oaks subdivision. The main shaft was 650 feet deep. In . . . — Map (db m76066) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Cavalry Review
On April 6, 1863 near here "on an elevated plain", President Lincoln reviewed 13,000-17,000 men on horseback. the cavalry review was said to be the largest in the world. Reporters wrote it was a grand sight "with banners waving, music crashing, and . . . — Map (db m82480) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Charles Adams Bryan(1849 - 1918)
Born in Maryland, Bryan and his family settled in the Stafford Courthouse area around 1869. He served as Deputy Clerk of Court from 1869-1871 and from 1877-1885. In 1887 he became Clerk of Court and served in that position until 1911. During his . . . — Map (db m99449) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Crow's Nest
Named after the black schooner called The Crow that harbored off the peninsula in the mid-1800s, Crow's Nest Peninsula is one of the last great, undisturbed places in the mid-Atlantic area. With both a rich history and remarkable . . . — Map (db m82309) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Crow's Nest Natural Area Preserve / Virginia’s State Natural Area Preserves
Crow's Nest Natural Area Preserve Situated on a peninsula located between Accokeek and Potomac creeks in Stafford County, Crow’s Nest Natural Area Preserve contains extensive mature coastal plain hardwood forests and wetland communities. . . . — Map (db m75975) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Early Escape RouteTrail to Freedom
"For a few moments, silence prevailed. My master [Ellen] looked at me, and I at him, but neither of us dared to speak a word, for fear of making some blunder that would tend to our detection. we knew that the officers had the power to throw us in . . . — Map (db m40130) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Eleventh Corps Encampment AreaUnion Army of the Potomac
In 1863, over 135,000 Union Army of the Potomac soldiers established winter camps throughout Stafford County - the largest encampment of any Army during the Civil War. Two-thirds of Civil War deaths occurred while armies were in camp. Many soldiers . . . — Map (db m65152) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — English Knot GardenStafford, Virginia
In 1992, the Borough of Stafford, England and Stafford, Virginia, Friendship Association was established in recognition of the close cultural and historical ties between the two communities. In 1994, this English Knot Garden was planted to celebrate . . . — Map (db m76268) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — E-76 — First Roman Catholic Settlement in Virginia
The crucifix by sculptor Georg J. Lober, erected in 1930, commemorates the first English Roman Catholic settlement in Virginia. Fleeing political and religious turmoil in Maryland, Giles Brent and his sisters Margaret and Mary established two . . . — Map (db m2156) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Fleurries
Former house of Miss Anne E. Moncure, The existing portion of the house was moved in 1987 to this site, now owned by the Aquia Church. Marked by the Bill of Rights Chapter, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, April . . . — Map (db m2227) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Frances R. Shelton BridgeMine Road Bridge
Mine Road Bridge is dedicated to Frances R. Shelton, a member of the Shelton family, who have been residents of Stafford County for over 236 years. Frances R. Shelton was a dedicated and giving American Legion Auxiliary President from 1996 to 1997. . . . — Map (db m106313) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — E-50 — From Indian Path to Highway
In 1664, a colonial road here probably followed the trace of an old Indian path. Two years later, the road was extended to Aquia Creek. It became a post road in 1750, and in Sept. 1781 Gen. George Washington passed over it on the march to Yorktown. . . . — Map (db m2188) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Gateway to FreedomTrail to Freedom
"I bounded across the Gang plank and concealed Myself for a while until the Steamer got off from the Wharf. I then came out and arrived Safe at 6th Street Wharf in Washington D.C. on the Night of September 1st, 1862 in a hard . . . — Map (db m40131) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — German-Americans and the Eleventh Corps
A large number of the soldiers who camped in and built the roads and fortifications preserved in this park were German-Americans. Most studies of ethnicity in the Civil War have focused on Irish or African-American soldiers, yet German-Americans . . . — Map (db m70404) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Government IslandGovernment Island Orientation
Welcome to Government Island. This 17-acre historic site is an early American quarry originally named Brent’s Island or Wiggington’s Island. As early as 1694, stone was quarried from this site for use as architectural trim in Colonial America. . . . — Map (db m39550) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Government Island
Utilized by Native Americans for millennia, and purchased by the federal government in 1791, Government Island's unique stone was used in the original construction of both the U.S. Capital and the White House. Aquia sandstone from this quarry was . . . — Map (db m101338) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — E-123 — Historic Aquia Creek
The first known permanent English Roman Catholic settlers in Virginia, Giles Brent, his sister Margaret, and other family members, emigrated here from Maryland by 1650. In May 1861, Confederates built artillery batteries on the bluffs overlooking . . . — Map (db m2157) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — In Honor of Those Who Served
In honor of the men and women of Stafford County who served in defense of their Commonwealth and Country — Map (db m6524) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — In Memory of September 11, 2001
The Pentagon      The World Trade Center Somerset County, PA "All Gave Some"     "Some Gave All" For those who were lost For those who lost family and friends For those protecting our families For those protecting our freedoms . . . — Map (db m7293) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — In the Name of Christ the King
To commemorate the first English Catholic Settlers in Virginia: Colonel Giles Brent, Deputy Governor of Maryland 1643; Margaret and Mary Brent who settled at Aquia 1647; George Brent, King’s Attorney General 1686, Member House of Burgesses 1688, who . . . — Map (db m2183) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Island Ownership
In 1647, Giles Brent established the first English settlement in this area along Aquia Creek. Nearly 50 years later, George Brent, Giles Brent’s nephew, became the island’s first documented owner. George purchased “…a small tongue or neck or . . . — Map (db m39759) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — John Smith Explores the ChesapeakeCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
(panel 1) Captain Smith explored the Chesapeake Bay in the early 1600s seeking precious metals and a passage to Asia. He traveled the James, Chickahominy, and York rivers in 1607, and led two major expeditions from Jamestown in 1608. . . . — Map (db m75973) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — E-135 — Katherine Harwood Waller Barrett(1857 - 1925)
Born nearby at Clifton, Katherine Harwood Waller Barrett earned medical and nursing degrees. She devoted her professional life to the care and education of unmarried pregnant women, a group previously treated as outcasts. With philanthropist Charles . . . — Map (db m70949) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — E-48 — Kidnapping of Pocahontas
Near here, Pocahontas visited friends among the Patawomecks on the Potomac River in April 1613. Capt. Samuel Argall saw an opportunity to capture Pocahontas and exchange her for English prisoners held by her father Chief Powhatan. Argall sought out . . . — Map (db m2218) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Lincoln Review
Nearby here was Sthreshley Farm, site of Abraham Lincoln's Grand Review. On April 8, 1863, 60,000 men passed the president who sat on a horse for the long, 5½ hour review. 10 year old Tad stayed by his father, while Mrs. Lincoln watched from a . . . — Map (db m82481) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Lincoln VisitStafford, Virginia
On April 10, 1863, President Lincoln was here at the Stafford Courthouse headquarters of General O.O. Howard. Taking off his hat to get in Howard's tent, he noticed scripture written on tablets. The men discussed Psalm 23:1 "The Lord is my Shepherd. . . . — Map (db m76366) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Little Forest Baptist Church
Founding members met in homes or under a persimmon tree. Led by Pastor Uriah Johnson, in 1905 they built their first church west of here. In 1959 that building was demolished to make a road later renamed Interstate-95. Some church members met at . . . — Map (db m78382) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — E-75 — Marlborough
Strategically situated at the tip of a peninsula jutting into the Potomac River at Potomac Creek, Marlborough was established under the Town Act of 1691 as a river port town. It served as the county seat of Stafford County from 1691 until about . . . — Map (db m2219) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — E 90-a — Mary Kittamaquund
Mary was the only child of Kittamaquund, paramount chief of the Piscataway tribes when Lord Baltimore's settlers arrived in Maryland in 1634. In 1641, seven-year-old Mary became the ward of Maryland governor Leonard Calvert and his sister-in-law . . . — Map (db m41820) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Mason's Homestead
Near here was the home of George Mason (1629-1686), the great grandfather of George Mason of Gunston Hall. Well educated and with some financial means, the elder Mason came from Worcestershire, England and settled in Virginia c. 1652. He acquired . . . — Map (db m79036) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Mt. Hope Baptist Church
Sunday School gathered in 1877. Church established October 16,1880 by Rev. Natus Washington. Originally worshipped at St. John School House near Brooke. Pickle Factory building nearer to church later became Brooke School. May 1904 Church cornerstone . . . — Map (db m79035) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Mt. Olive Baptist Church
Stafford's First African American Church. Founded May 16, 1818 near Roseville by Rev. Horace Crutcher, along with five others. Original place of worship was a slab wood arbor. Recognizing the importance of enlightening individuals both spiritually . . . — Map (db m76193) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Native American Presence
Native American artifacts were recovered in various locations on Government Island. The largest concentration of artifacts was found overlooking Aquia Creek. a rare Clovis projectile point was found, indicating the Paleoindians were present in this . . . — Map (db m39946) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Oak Grove Baptist Church
Organized 1873 in a log cabin as St. Ross Baptist Church. An 1879 group meeting at Oak Grove Church of concerned parents determined to strive for their children's education, resulted in Oak Grove School being organized. Widewater native, Palmer . . . — Map (db m76341) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Patawomeck People at Belle Plains
The Creek provided fish for centuries for the Patawomeck people who in turn taught the colonists to fish to survive, to plant vegetables hitherto unknown to the English and to hunt in the forests. A surviving remnant of the Patawomeck became . . . — Map (db m76274) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Patawomeck Tribe Village
The Patawomeck Tribe, members of the Powhatan Confederacy and millennial original residents of Indian Point, greeted Captain John Smith as he sailed up the Potomac River in 1608. Smith viewed the Tribe's palisaded villages, built by the Patawomeck . . . — Map (db m79037) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — E-79 — Peyton’s Ordinary
In this vicinity stood Peyton’s Ordinary. George Washington, going to Fredericksburg to visit his mother, dined here, March 6, 1769. On his way to attend the House of Burgesses, he spent the night here, October 31, 1769, and stayed here again on . . . — Map (db m2187) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Potomac Church Road
The Potomac Church Road dates from the 17th century. During the late 18th century, and well into the 19th century, this road and the Old Telegraph Road to its west, now roughly Route 1 were primary travel routes connecting Stafford with important . . . — Map (db m70398) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Quarrying the Stone
Quarrying stone during the late 18th and early 19th centuries was very labor intensive. Stone quarried here was cut and shipped with the use of simple machines and animal power. Various workers were needed to extract the stone. A . . . — Map (db m39751) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Quarrying the Stone
Background: The same geologic attributes responsible for Stafford’s rich deposits of iron ore and other metals, also rendered a unique and eventually much desired type of sandstone called “freestone.” As a result, a significant stone . . . — Map (db m70402) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Redoubt # 2Aquia Landing Defenses
Approximately seventy yards to the northeast of this sign on private property are the well preserved remains of Redoubt #2, the last surviving and largest of three built by the Union Army of the Potomac in February and March of 1863 to defend Aquia . . . — Map (db m82306) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Redoubt No. 2 / Fort No NameFederal Defenses of Aquia Creek Landing
Twelfth Corps / Army of the Potomac, USA Stafford County, Virginia Circa 1863 National Historic Registry February 2006 Virginia Historic Registry DHR # 089-5057/44ST0082 — Map (db m55988) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Sandstone Quarry
On the trail to the right of the picnic area beyond this sign are the remains of a late 18th and early 19th century sandstone quarry. Archaeological reports on this site noted that stone quarried here was loaded onto scows or shallow boats and taken . . . — Map (db m65228) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Site Selection / Architectural Features
Site Selection In 1791, President George Washington (who was raised in Stafford County 10 miles south of this site at Ferry Farm) appointed three Commissioners to oversee construction of the new federal capital city (later named Washington, . . . — Map (db m39788) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Stafford County Tri-Centennial
August 7, 1964 In celebration of its 300th Birthday, here is buried a capsule by order of the Circuit Court, to be opened on August 7, 2064. Planted by the Stafford County Lions Club and Stafford County Board of Supervisors — Map (db m6522) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — E-231 — Stafford Training School
Stafford Training School, later known as H. H. Poole School, was constructed in 1939 by the Public Works Administration after African American parents raised money to buy the land. During the segregation era, this was the only school in Stafford . . . — Map (db m78074) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Steamships, Stages and Slave TradeTrail to Freedom
"In the forenoon the steamer reached Aquia Creek. There the passengers took stages — Burch and his five slaves occupying one exclusively. ...He told me to hold up my head and look smart. That I might, perhaps, get a good master if I behaved . . . — Map (db m40129) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — The Daniel Bridge
The Daniel Bridge first appears in county records on a deed map dated 1837. The bridge had three sandstone piers, the remnants of which are still visible today and which likely supported a wood superstructure. The bridge likely took its name from . . . — Map (db m70401) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — The Robertson Quarry
In the 1800s, the Robertson Quarry was one of many quarries in Stafford County which provided stone for government buildings, private homes, and public buildings, not only in Washington, D.C., but across the nation. The Robertson Quarry, along with . . . — Map (db m35394) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — The Robertson-Towson HouseCirca 1820
When Benjamin Henry Latrobe, architect of the U.S. Capitol, visited Stafford in 1806, he found on this “beautiful little knoll in the midst of the woods close to his quarry…a log house,” the home of quarryman William Robertson. . . . — Map (db m31209) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Transporting the Stone
A historic road is visible to the right. It was created by skids or "stone boats" that were loaded with stone and dragged by oxen to the wharf. The stone was very heavy. One cubic foot of stone weighed 120 pounds. In addition to moving the stone . . . — Map (db m39799) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Trooper Jessica Jean Cheney
State Police — In Memory of — Jessica Jean Cheney January 17th 1998 "What she lacked in experience, she made up for in hard work and spirit."                               -E. Futrell — Map (db m4935) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Union Army Double-Track Corduroy Road
At right is the order for a dual-track corduroy road, remains of which can still be seen just beyond this sign. Below are details for construction of corduroy roads as reported earlier in the war by a Union staff officer. Corduroy roads were needed . . . — Map (db m70403) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Union Army Winter Camp Remains
You are now standing inside the perimeter of what was once a Union 11th Corps winter camp. Soldiers not only camped and drilled here, but also built roads and fortifications in and around this park. Since the Civil War, the majority of Stafford’s . . . — Map (db m70397) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Union Batteries at Accokeek Creek
By late May 1863 Major-General Joseph Hooker, likely concerned over a possible attack to cut off or capture his supply depot at Aquia Landing, adjusted his lines. Four additional batteries were built in the 11th Corps area south of the Accokeek. . . . — Map (db m70399) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Union Battery
The largest and strongest battery in this park; this one contains nearly 300 linear feet of parapet 30 feet thick. The foundation of a large blockhouse also remains. The battery could have supported all three nearby batteries. Its blockhouse also . . . — Map (db m65199) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Union Battery
At 200 feet above sea level, this is the highest of the three batteries in this park. Its three-faced parapet allowed it to support other nearby batteries and encampments against attacks from multiple directions. Its very steep approaches would have . . . — Map (db m65217) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Union Eleventh Corps Artillery
Eleventh Corps artillery units in 1863 were equipped with 3-inch ordnance rifles and 4.62-inch model 1857 Napoleon cannon often referred to as 12-pounders. Ordnance rifles could fire a solid or hollow 3-inch, iron, buIlet-shaped projectile nearly . . . — Map (db m70400) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — Union Infantry Winter Camp
These woods contain remains of hut sites, chimneys and defenses of a large Army of the Potomac winter camp, soldiers of the 11th Corps 1st and 3rd Divisions moved to this area from Belle Plain and Stafford Courthouse in late Feb/early Mar, 1863, in . . . — Map (db m65151) HM

64 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement