Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

State College, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Lincoln Hall image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, June 21, 2019
Lincoln Hall
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — "Lincoln Hall" State College Historic Site
This circa 1910 structure was a rooming house for African American male students at the Pennsylvania State College from the late 1930s to the early 1950s. Known as Lincoln Hall, it was the center for black life at that time The six- to . . . — Map (db m135647) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Ag Experiment Station
Ag Experiment Station was housed here beginning in 1889. Following passage of the Hatch Act, which made ongoing federal funds available for the first time. To support agriculture research at universities. Scientific studies here and at other . . . — Map (db m134716) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Ag Hill
Ag Hill became the center of agricultural research and instruction at Penn State in the 1800s with the founding of the Experiment Station, followed over the next 25 years by three nearby buildings and the Armsby Calorimeter. With its . . . — Map (db m134718) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — American Elms
Lining the mall are part of an early campus landscaping plan that called for trees and other plantings to be used as an arboretum for teaching and research purposes. While age and disease have taken their toll, Penn State still has one of the . . . — Map (db m135739) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — American Literature
With the arrival in 1894 of Fred Lewis Pattee, for whom Pattee Library is named, Penn State became one of the earliest centers for American Literature Studies—at the time a controversial departure from English Literature. A pioneering scholar . . . — Map (db m134775) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Armory
Near this site from 1982 to 1964 stood the Armory which symbolized Penn State's Land-Grant Act commitment to offer military training as part of the nation's tradition of the citizen-soldier. Before World War I, participation in the Cadet Corps was . . . — Map (db m134751) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Atmospheric Research
Renowned meteorologist Hans Panofsky conducted fundamental work at Penn State (1952-82) that led to a new understanding of atmospheric turbulence, air pollution, ozone depletion, and planetary the first to apply computer analysis to weather . . . — Map (db m135634) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Atoms for Peace
Penn State in 1955 became the first university licensed by the Atomic Energy Commission to operate a nuclear reactor as part of U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower's "Atoms for Peace" program. Named for Wm. Breazeale, Penn State's first Professor of . . . — Map (db m135648) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Breon-Stover Building State College Historic Site
Replacing a burned structure, this Spanish Colonial Revival building was erected in 1926 as the new home of the Penn State Photo Shop. Three generations snapped and processed photos here into the 1970s. From the early 1900s, W.W. Smith had . . . — Map (db m134737) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Brill Hall Julia Gregg Brill '21, 1891-1985 Penn State —
Professor of English. First woman in her dept (1924), first woman elected to Penn State Alumni Council (1930), friend and counselor to students. — Map (db m134736) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Calorimeter
Designed and first operated in 1902 by pioneer animal nutritionist Henry Armsby. The calorimeter was housed in this specially constructed building and monitored an animal's metabolism to determine the net energy value of food-the portion of food . . . — Map (db m134719) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Campus View Apartments / Schlow Building
The Schlow Building, designed by State College architect P. Boyd Kapp, was built in 1925 as the 12-unit Campus View Apartments. (This photograph shows the brand-new building.) It was the first State College apartment building with a sprinkler . . . — Map (db m134741) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Carnegie Building
Completed in 1904 with a gift from Penn State trustee and industrialist Andrew Carnegie, it was the university's first library building. It typefies more than 2,000 college and community libraries built with donations from Carnegie. — Map (db m134773) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Centre Furnace
Here Colonels John Patton and Samuel Miles operated the first charcoal iron furnace in the region, 1792-1809. Present stack used 1825-1858. In this era Centre County led in the making of Juniata iron. — Map (db m52431) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Centre Furnace Mansion
Welcome to Centre Furnace Mansion - birthplace of Penn State University and home of Centre County Historical Society. — Map (db m77055) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Chace Hall Edith Pitt Chase Penn State —
As Director of the Home Economics Department (1919-1938), Chace oversaw the establishment of a home economics curriculum, transition of the department to the School of Education, and development of a home economics graduate course of study. — Map (db m135738) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Continuing Education
In 1935, under J. Orvis Keller, Penn State centralized its correspondence and evening courses, technical institutes, and most other continuing education offerings. Creating a model adopted by other universities, successors E.L. Keller and Floyd . . . — Map (db m134780) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Cooper Hall Anna M. Cooper Penn State —
From 1879 to 1882, Anna M. Cooper, lady principal for the Pennsylvania State College, taught courses in Domestic Economy, including Sewing, Starching and Ironing, Needlework, and House Decoration. In 1907 Penn State created a formal Department of . . . — Map (db m134729) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Curry Hall Haskell Curry, 1900-82 Penn State —
Professor of Mathematics. His development of combinatory logic found significant applications in computer programming language. — Map (db m134735) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Dale Building State College Historic Site
In 1914, State College architect-builder C.E. Henry erected this four-apartment and commercial building for Peter Hoffer Dale, M.D. During its first 40 years, the Dale Building was a place to buy groceries—one of State College's several small, . . . — Map (db m135623) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Diesel Engineering
Near this site, Professor Paul Schweitzer in 1923 began one of the first systematic research programs in diesel engineering to be undertaken in the U.S. He was joined by K.J. Dejuhasz, and their discoveries over the next 30 years in such fields as . . . — Map (db m134747) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Driver Education
Prof. of Industrial Engineering Amos Neyhart taught America's first classes for Driver Education teachers near this site in 1936, three years after he began the nation's first driver education course at State College High School. He became an . . . — Map (db m135633) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Evan Pugh
Penn State's first president (1859-64) was a national advocate of adding science, agriculture, & engineering to traditional collegiate studies. Penn State emerged as one of three agricultural college in the U.S. Before the 1862 Morrill Land-Grant . . . — Map (db m134752) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Faculty Cottages
Pine (1888) and Spruce (1889) Cottages are reminders of an earlier era in Penn State's history, when a fledgling institution offered on-campus residences as part of faculty compensation, and when students and teachers mingled in a family-like . . . — Map (db m134723) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — First Ag Degrees
Penn State was the first U.S. university to award Baccalaureate (1861) and Graduate (1863) degrees in agriculture. This pioneering effort to formalize higher education in agriculture helped the agricultural sciences to become an accepted and vital . . . — Map (db m65595) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Haller Hall Barbara S. Haller Penn State —
Active on campus and in her community, Haller was an honorary member of Chi Omega sorority, and an advisor to the Panhellenic Council and Penn State chapter of Mortar Board. She was a leader in registering State College for their first vote in 1920. — Map (db m134726) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Harris Hall Dorothy Harris, 1923-91 Penn State —
Professor of Exercise and Sport Psychology. Early advocate of women in sport, developed pioneering graduate program in sport psychology. — Map (db m134734) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Heart-Assist Pump
Developed by faculty here in the College of Engineering and in the College of Medicine in 1976 to prolong the lives of cardiovascular patients. It pioneered applications of fluid mechanics and was the first surgically implantable, seam-free . . . — Map (db m135627) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Hibbs Hall Cordelia Laugheed Hibbs Penn State —
Cordelia Hibbs came to Penn State College in 1946 and served as a housing assistant for women students. She was the housemother for Delta Gamma sorority and an advisor to Mortar Board. Hibbs was a member of the Great Meadows Chapter of the Daughters . . . — Map (db m134728) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Hospitality Management
Established in 1937, Penn State's School of Hospitality Management is one of the nation's oldest and most respected. Its top-ranked undergraduate and doctoral programs prepare global leaders with a rigorous, diverse curriculum focused, since its . . . — Map (db m134777) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Hotel State College State College Historic Site
For more than a century, the Hotel State College was the first stopping place for new arrivals to State College. The hotel's history began around 1857 with construction by State College's first resident, Benard McClain of Bellefonte, of a frame . . . — Map (db m134743) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Hoyt Hall Jane W. Hoyt Penn State —
The Pennsylvania State College first admitted women undergraduates in 1871, and Jane W. Hoyt served as the first preceptress and Dean of Women from 1872 until 1874. She was also an instructor in German and French. At that time, Penn State was one of . . . — Map (db m134730) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Indian Leadership
Penn State's American Indian Leadership Program, established in 1970, is the oldest and most successful of its kind. It was among the first graduate fellowship programs anywhere to offer Native Americans formal opportunities to strengthen their . . . — Map (db m134776) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Industry Research
On this site, at the Petroleum Refining Lab, chemists conducted the university's first major industry-sponsored research beginning in 1929. They improved the refining process of crude oil and pioneered in identifying its components. The lab was . . . — Map (db m134746) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Ionospheric Research
In 1963 faculty and students in the Electrical Engineering Dept's Ionosphere Research Lab developed a Radio Wave Cross-Modulation Facility consisting of a high-power transmitter and antenna beamed to the ionosphere. It furthered our understanding of . . . — Map (db m135642) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Irvin Hall Erected 1925 Named in honor of James Irvin —
Prominent in locating the college in Centre County Donor of land upon which the first college buildings were erected — Map (db m135745) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Jordan Soil Plots
Jordan Soil Plots were a pioneer effort to determine long-term effects of fertilizers on soil and crops. 144 plots, between today's Curtin Road and College Avenue, were established in 1882 by Professor Whitman H. Jordan. Some remained under . . . — Map (db m134715) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Labor Education
Penn State was among the first U.S. universities to establish an academic program focusing on Labor in American society and offer Labor Studies courses for college credit. Founded in 1942 as an outreach effort to help union leaders learn their . . . — Map (db m134779) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Lyman Kipp Wink, 1980 Painted aluminum —
Sculptor Lyman Kipp was an artist-in-residence at Penn State's School of Visual Arts in the spring of 1980. His abstract metal sculptures are indebted to the mid-20th-century Constructivist tradition of welding or bolting together simple geographic . . . — Map (db m135744) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Lyons Hall Dr. Hannah M. Lyons Penn State —
Hanna M. Lyons is noted for her significant contributions to Penn State at a time when it was a predominantly male college. She was appointed by Governor Gifford Pinchot to the Board of Trustees in 1932, and served on the Committee on Student and . . . — Map (db m135734) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Management Education
Established in 1915 as one of the nation's first continuing education programs for business and industry. These programs, an outgrowth of Engineering Extension, boosted Pennsylvania's economy by tailoring instruction to thousands of clients . . . — Map (db m134778) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — McKee Hall Erected in 1949-1950 Named in honor of James Y. McKee —
Vice-President of the College (1868-91), Acting President four times, Secretary of the Board of Trustees 1868-69, member of Executive Committee 1874-92, Professor of Greek Languages and Literature. — Map (db m135639) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Memorial Field State College Historic Site
Heeding calls for a "public playground," the State College School Board bought this natural amphitheater, known as "the sink hole," in 1914. It was foreseen as one of Pennsylvania's "most modern playgrounds," one of its "most outstanding high school . . . — Map (db m135618) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Miller Hall E. Willard Miller, 1915-2002 Penn State —
Professor of Geography. Widely recognized for work in economic and Pennsylvania geography. Helped to lead his dept to world-class rank. — Map (db m135736) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Moses Thompson
Partner in Centre Furnace with James Irvin and instrumental in the selection of the site for the establishment of Penn State on furnace company land. Thompson resided here at the mansion for 49 years and hosted many trustee meetings and college . . . — Map (db m52433) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Mushroom Science
In the 1920s, Penn State became the first land-grant college to initiate a comprehensive mushroom research program. Led by internationally recognized scientists & supported by the mushroom industry. The program developed improved composts and . . . — Map (db m134722) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Nelson Hall G. Kenneth Nelson, 1922-95 Penn State —
Professor of Accounting and Head of department. An exceptionally popular award-winning teacher. pioneered the use of television as a teaching tool. — Map (db m134733) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Nittany Lion Shrine
What's a Nittany? The word Nittany is derived from the Algonquian word Nit-A-Nee meaning "single mountain." The original inhabitants of the area used Nit-A-Nee to describe the mountain, and it likely became corrupted to Nittany by the first . . . — Map (db m77539) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Oak Cottage
Built in 1857 on this site, was the first permanent building on campus initially occupied by Farm Foreman John Herman and family. It was later used as a residence by such illustrious faculty as James McKee, Whitman Jordan, and John Price Jackson. . . . — Map (db m134759) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Old Botany
Built in 1887, the oldest campus building whose exterior has not been significantly altered. Designed in a "Richardsonian Romanesque" style, it had greenhouses attached and a formal garden in front and was long a center for Botanical Studies. — Map (db m134756) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Old Engineering
Opened in 1892, this 50,000 sq.ft. structure housed Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Mining Engineering. Designed by Fred L. Olds in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, it was the architectural capstone of the campus and symbolized Penn State's . . . — Map (db m134744) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Old Main
Built in 1930, using limestone blocks from the first Old Main, completed on this site in 1863. The original building housed classrooms, offices, laboratories, and student and faculty living quarters. It also served as does its successor as Penn . . . — Map (db m134754) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Old Main Bell
Cast in 1871 by the Boston foundry of William Blake & Co., this 1,200 lb. bronze bell hung in the original Old Main until 1929, regulating the ebb and flow of campus life. Placed in the rebuilt Old Main in 1930, it fell silent with the installation . . . — Map (db m134753) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Old Willow
For decades Freshmen bowed to this landmark as Penn State's oldest living tradition. Planted near this site by William Waring in 1859, it fell in 1923 and has been replaced several times by descendants of the original. Legend claims the tree grew . . . — Map (db m135742) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Panofsky Hall Hans Panofsky, 1917-88 Penn State —
Professor of Meteorology. Renowned for atmospheric research and as a teacher. Led the way in applying computer analysis to weather forecasting. — Map (db m134731) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Pattee Mall American Elms Ulmus americana Penn State Heritage Trees and Groves —
The oldest elms in this grove were planted in the 1890s to replace the original elms and maples that lined this section of North Allen Street before it was converted to a pedestrian mall, now known as Pattee Mall. With their towering canopies and . . . — Map (db m135740) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Penn State Obelisk
Containing 281 stones arranged in natural geologic order, this monument was erected in 1895 under supervision of professors T.C. Hopkins and M.C. Ihlseng, School of Mines, the Pennsylvania State College, to demonstrate weathering properties and . . . — Map (db m134750) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — PENNSTAC
The first fully functional electronic digital computer built by Penn State and among the first to be constructed on any college campus. Assembled 1953-55 by the Department of Electrical Engineering from parts donated by private industry, it proved . . . — Map (db m135632) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Postwar Authors
Joseph Heller & his famous novel, "Catch-22," germinated during his faculty tenure at Penn State in the early 1950s. Pulitzer prize-winning poet Theodore Roethke wrote his first book, "Open House," during his seven years of teaching at the . . . — Map (db m134772) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — President Atherton
Buried here, headed Penn State from 1882 to 1906 and brought it back from the brink of ruin. He drafted and championed the Hatch Act of 1887 and Morrill Act of 1890, establishing federal aid to higher education, and served as first president of the . . . — Map (db m134758) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Public Speaking
Penn State has led in the study and practice of Public Speaking since John Henry Frizzell founded the Speech Department in 1935. Robert Oliver later built a nationally renowned graduate program in Rhetoric and Communication while publishing landmark . . . — Map (db m135640) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Pure Food Laws
Pennsylvania's first pure food laws founded on the work of Penn State chemist William Frear (1860-1922), whose pioneer analyses of foods enabled the state to enforce truth-in-labeling laws. Frear also helped organize the first National Pure Food . . . — Map (db m134720) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — R Values
Standardized measures of resistance to heat transfer, were first proposed in 1945 by Everett Shuman, who, as Director of Penn State's Building Research Institute, continued to promote their adoption. R Values were later widely applied to industrial . . . — Map (db m135625) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Schwab Auditorium
The first campus building to be financed by a private gift. Bethlehem Steel Corp. founder Charles M. Schwab, a member of the university's Board of Trustees, gave $150,000 to build the Beaux-Arts structure, which was completed in 1903. — Map (db m134755) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Science, Technology and Society
In 1969-70, leading faculty from the Colleges of Earth and Mineral Sciences, Engineering, Liberal Arts, and Science founded the nation's first interdisciplinary program in Science, Technology, and Society. Its integrative courses addressing critical . . . — Map (db m134757) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — State College High School State College Historic Site
When this school opened September 1, 1914, on Frazier (later spelled "Fraser") Street, high school students were finally in their own building. All grades previously occupied the Frazier Street School at Highland Alley. As enrollment here increased . . . — Map (db m135620) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Stephens Hall Anna Stephens Penn State —
Anna Stephens became a staff physician at Penn State College in 1941. She was a member of the Centre Medical Society, the Penn State Medical Society, and the American Medical Society. Stephens also worked with the American Diabetes Association and . . . — Map (db m135735) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Student Broadcasting
Penn State has been a leader in broadcasting college radio since the class gift of 1912 enabled early national experiments. By 1923, WPSC students were among the first college broadcasters in the nation. Since then, students have learned the craft . . . — Map (db m134774) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Student Section The Greatest Show in College Football
With its team in a rare slump, 20,000 students wore white as a show of strength when their Nittany Lions played Purdue on October 9, 2004. The unified student section began a transformation of the game day atmosphere into a force that affected . . . — Map (db m135653) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — The Alpha Chi Chapter of Sigma Chi
The Alpha Chi Chapter of Sigma Chi at Penn State University was founded on May 27, 1891, and is the third oldest fraternity at Penn State. The Chapter's first house was on South Allen Street (1891-1905). In 1906, the construction of the . . . — Map (db m135636) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — The Bent of Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society
Dedicated by The Pennsylvania Beta Chapter on the Chapter's 50th Anniversary May 5, 1962 In tribute to Dean Earl B. Stavely Chapter Advisor (1916-1959) [Additional plaque on the left side of the memorial] . . . — Map (db m135629) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — The College Avenue Fountain
In 1907, the fountain at the left in the photograph was donated to the town by the Woman's Literary Club, later known as The State College Woman's Club, at a cost of $152.60. The fountain was to be of the latest design and would provide troughs for . . . — Map (db m135621) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — The Daily Collegian
Is one of the nation's oldest college daily newspapers. A precursor, the Free Lance, published monthly beginning in 1887, was succeeded in 1904 by the State Collegian, a weekly, and the semi-weekly Penn State Collegian appeared in 1940. An . . . — Map (db m135641) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — The Foster / Gentzel Building State College Historic Site
Built in 1894, the Foster Building—which later became the Gentzel Building—was State College's first apartment building. It is credited as the first property to convert from a wooden to a concrete sidewalk. The store space made history, . . . — Map (db m134739) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — The State Theatre State College Historic Site
A movie house for more than 60 years. The State Theatre opened in 1938 with The Sisters, starring Errol Flynn and Bette Davis. "Warner Bros. announces with pride the opening of Central Pennsylvania's newest and finest theatre," read a . . . — Map (db m134749) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — USS Pennsylvania
The Battleship USS Pennsylvania (BB-38), was commissioned in 1916 as the second ship named after the state and quickly became the flagship of the U.S. Atlantic fleet. With a displacement of 32,600 tons, a length of 608 feet, a beam of . . . — Map (db m135651) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Wake Turbulence
In 1965, Penn State Aerospace Engineer Barnes W. McCormick led a research team that made the first measurements of the detail of wake turbulence behind a full-scale airplane. These measurements, using aircraft flown at University Park Airport, were . . . — Map (db m135631) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Walnut Building
A war-surplus structure relocated from Lebanon, PA., in 1947 to serve as a temporary student union building. It later became Penn State's first center for minority-student social and cultural life. As the Black Cultural Center and later the Paul . . . — Map (db m134724) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Waring European Larch Larix dicidua Penn State Heritage Trees and Groves —
In 1860, just five years after the founding of the Farmers' High School and a year after the first class was offered, this tree was planted by William G. Waring, professor of horticulture. Native to northern and central Europe, the European . . . — Map (db m135743) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Water Tunnel
Was the world's largest when built in cooperation with the Navy in 1949. Designed to test properties of torpedoes, submarine hulls, propellers, & other underwater shapes by driving water through a central test section, it also had peacetime . . . — Map (db m135638) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — We Are Penn State The Class of 2013 and Fred Lewis Pattee ...nourishing college spirit and loyalty —
From a thunderous chant at a sporting event to a personal greeting on a street in foreign land, We are... Penn State is recognized as a reflection of the pride, spirit and loyalty of past, present and future Penn Staters. The We Are . . . — Map (db m135650) HM

81 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement