In the Hellgate Treaty negotiations (1855), Xwetxxcln (Plenty Horses or chief Victor) and the Selíš people rebuffed efforts of US officials to get them to abandon the choice lands of their ancestral Bitterroot Valley. After Xwetxxcln died, settlers . . . — — Map (db m123513) HM
From time immemorial, the Bitterroot Valley has been a central part of the aboriginal territory of the Salish people. Although the tribe is now based on the Flathead Indian Reservation north of Missoula, the Bitterroot remains a place of great . . . — — Map (db m123550) HM
Calvin and Magdalene Cook came to Montana from Kansas in 1880 and settled near Stevensville. Like many early settlers, the Cooks’ intent was to farm. After more than a decade of farming, however, business opportunities in Stevensville beckoned and . . . — — Map (db m123449) HM
The DeNayer House is a fine example of transitional Queen Anne/Colonial Revival style architecture. The combination hipped and gabled roof and irregular floorplan are characteristic of the Queen Anne style while corner pilasters and clapboard siding . . . — — Map (db m123509) HM
The Stevensville Baptist congregation first organized as the Etna Baptist Church of Christ at the nearby Etna schoolhouse in 1882. In 1884, the growing membership purchased land in Stevensville and hired talented Missoula architect Thomas W. . . . — — Map (db m123451) HM
The First State Bank Building was built on the site of the first Ravalli County Courthouse.
It is a well-preserved example of the classical-revival commercial style of early 20th century architecture.
The First State Bank significantly . . . — — Map (db m123444) HM
Fort Owen’s log and adobe walls witnessed dramatic changes as the Bitterroot Valley emerged from remote wilderness to settled agricultural community. The Jesuit fathers who had established St. Mary’s Mission nearby in 1841 closed their doors in . . . — — Map (db m123510) HM
When the Gleason Building was built on the southeast corner of Main and 2nd Street, a furniture store was an opportune investment.
The Gleason Furniture Company occupied the first floor of this building.
Later in the 1920s, the upper floor . . . — — Map (db m123387) HM
The Henry Buck/Stevensville Trading Co. was constructed in response to the rapid influx of people putting down roots in the Bitterroot Valley during the homestead and apple boom eras.
Large general merchandise stores were in great demand at this . . . — — Map (db m123441) HM
The is one of the first and oldest brick buildings in town.
In 1893 the Hunter Building was used as a saloon. Due to the Temperance movement in the early 1900s the saloon's license was revoked.
After this time it went through a series of . . . — — Map (db m123386) HM
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows building was built during the period of optimism and growth in Stevensville.
The IOOF Hall played a significant humanitarian and social roll in the community.
The upper level was used for their lodge . . . — — Map (db m123390) HM
The Porter & Buck Building thrived as a grocery store until 1922.
Porter and Buck Brothers served the growing population settling in the Bitterroot Valley.
Beautiful glass tiles accent the transom and give it an artistic flair.
The tiles . . . — — Map (db m123446) HM
Established in 1841 by Pierre DeSmet, S.J., in response to requests for Black Robes by four separate delegations sent by Flathead and Nez Perce tribes to St. Louis. Fr. DeSmet and his party erected Montana's first church immediately west on the bank . . . — — Map (db m123521) HM
Jesuit priests and lay brothers founded St. Mary’s Mission—the first mission in the Northwest—near this site in 1841. The Jesuits closed the mission in 1850, returning in 1866. For the next quarter century, they helped the Salish adapt . . . — — Map (db m123447) HM
The Thorton Building is associated with Dr. W.T, Thorton, a well-known physician in western Montana who started the Thorton Hospital on Main and 3rd Street.
This fireproof structure was originally built as a doctor's office
Since then it has . . . — — Map (db m123389) HM
In 1850, Major John Owen established this trading post on the original site of St. Mary's Mission. It was the first permanent white settlement in Montana, and welcomed Indian, trappers, gold seekers and settlers.
By the late 1860s, major travel . . . — — Map (db m123519) HM