Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Strasburg, Virginia Historical Markers

 
Banks’ Fort Marker image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2007
Banks’ Fort Marker
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — A-24 — Banks’ Fort
The earthworks on the hilltop to the southwest were constructed by General Banks in the campaign of 1862. — Map (db m662) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — A-21 — Battle of Cedar Creek
The breaking of this bridge in the evening of October 19, 1864 permitted Sheridan to retake most of the material captured in the morning by Early. — Map (db m3461) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Cedar CreekStrategic Crossing — 1864 Valley Campaign
When Gen. U.S. Grant came East to assume command of all Union forces in 1864, he ordered Gen. Franz Sigel to seize control of the Valley. As Sigel moved south along the Valley Turnpike, Confederates on May 9, 1864, burned the bridge here delaying . . . — Map (db m636) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Cedar CreekStrategic Crossing — 1862 Valley Campaign
Just west of modern route 11 is the Daniel Stickley Farm. The ruins of the Stickley Mills are located beside the creek just below the house. During the war, the Valley Turnpike ran past the brick Stickley house and turned right onto a covered bridge . . . — Map (db m644) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Civil War StrasburgStrategic Intersection
The railroad tracks before you follow the route of the Manassas Gap Railroad, which reached Strasburg from Washington, D.C., in 1854. The line was a vital link between the Shenandoah Valley and eastern markets. Strasburg became strategically . . . — Map (db m2323) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Field Fortifications
Those earthworks were built in October 1864 by the 2nd Division, VIth U.S. Corps under the supervision of its adjutant general, Capt. Hazard Stevens. The crescent shaped positions, called "lunettes" because of their resemblance to a new moon, were . . . — Map (db m3445) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — A-55 — Fort Bowman
The stone house to the south is Fort Bowman, or Harmony Hall, built about 1753 for George Bowman who emigrated from Pennsylvania in 1731-1732. The house is an important example of the Pennsylvania German influence on Shenandoah Valley architecture. . . . — Map (db m594) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Frontier FortThe Old Hupp Homestead
This Frontier Fort stands in mute evidence of that early American history that has gone before us. It was built around the year 1755, and it was home of one of the first settlers to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Built at a time when the early . . . — Map (db m660) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — A-20 — Frontier Fort
This house, built about 1755, is the old Hupp Homestead. It was used as a fort in Indian attacks. — Map (db m661) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Historic StrasburgStop #4
The Town Run is to your right. One source of the stream comes from a spring several blocks north at Hupp's Homestead. Bruce Hupp had his commercial watercress beds there. Often he boarded the train at Strasburg Depot in the morning, delivered his . . . — Map (db m3458) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — 10 — Historic StrasburgStop # 10
South Holliday Street did not extend beyond the top of the hill until the river bridge was constructed in 1970. The North Fork of the Shenandoah River has always been a vital part of Strasburg. Today it is the town's main water supply. Early . . . — Map (db m73936) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — 7 — Historic StrasburgStop # 7
Queen Street originally the main road through Strasburg, used by wagons, stagecoaches and travelers up and down the Valley. For many years the road was known as the Great Road, but before white settlers, it was a trail through the vast hunting . . . — Map (db m73937) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — 5 — Historic StrasburgStop # 5
The Strasburg Depot sat one block north on Fort Street (for many years known as Depot St.). Notice where the road veers left then right again and up the hill. A modest passenger station was located there. Longtime residents may remember the 7:35 . . . — Map (db m74070) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Hupp’s Hill
Part of a 1,000 acre estate begun by George F. Hupp in the 1750s. Hupp's Hill and buildings further south were used as a headquarters by federal generals Nathaniel Banks and James Shields during Stonewall Jackson's 1862 Valley Campaign. The site was . . . — Map (db m50441) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Hupp's HillThe Battle of Hupp's Hill or Stickley's Farm — 1864 Valley Campaign
During mid-October 1864, Union Gen. Philip Sheridan's army was camped along the north bank of Cedar Creek, confident his Valley campaign had successfully ended following smashing victories at Winchester, Fishers Hill and Toms Brook. But the . . . — Map (db m3045) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Saint Paul’s Lutheran Church
Historic valley congregation, strasburg's oldest, organized by German settlers (c.1747) who first worshiped in log building just west of this site. Parish records date from 1769. Strasburg's first school conducted by the congregation and its . . . — Map (db m3468) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Samuel Kercheval17-- - 1845
Author of History of The Valley of Virginia 1st Edition Printed in Winchester 1833 Born Frederick County now Clarke County He is buried here in the Bowman Graveyard Harmony Hall This Plaque erected to his memory by the Shenandoah County . . . — Map (db m36723) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Z-247 — Shenandoah County / Warren County
(East Facing Side): Shenandoah County Area 510 Square Miles Formed in 1772 from Frederick, and first named Dunmore for Lord Dunmore, Governor of Virginia, 1771-1775. In 1778 the county was renamed for the Shenandoah River. (West . . . — Map (db m4297) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Signal KnobKey Observation Post
Signal Knob, the northernmost point of Three Top Mountain, overlooks Strasburg and is 2110 ft. above sea level. During the Civil War, both sides used it as a signal station, but the Confederate signal corps occupied it almost continuously from 1862 . . . — Map (db m15176) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Stoner-Keller House & Mill1847    1772
Has been designated a Virginia Historic Landmark And placed on the National Register Of Historic Places — Map (db m102472) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Stonewall’s SurpriseBanks’s Fort
In the spring of 1862, U.S. Army Capt. Edward Hunt, an engineer, constructed a fortification on the hill where the Strasburg water tower now stands. Hunt selected the hill "because it had an effective command over the roads, the railroad, and the . . . — Map (db m9546) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — The Great Train RaidReenactment - May 29, 2011
This image, entitled Heavy Traffic on the Valley Pike, is the third in a series of paintings by renowned historical artist Mort Künsler, depicting the arrival in Strasburg of disassembled locomotives seized by Confederate forces under Col. . . . — Map (db m73820) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — The Great Train Raid of 1861
Jackson captured engines from Martinsburg, W.VA. and had them pulled by horse teams across the roads to Strasburg, near here, they were set on rails and sent south for the Confederate cause. — Map (db m15542) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — This Fertile Land
This fertile land along the Shenandoah River, in the shadow of the Massanutten Mountain, was settled in the 1730s by courageous Germanic people in search of liberty and prosperity. Known variously in early days as Staufferstadt, Stover Town and . . . — Map (db m73843) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — A-19 — Trenches On Hupp’s Hill
These trenches were constructed by Sheridan in the autumn of 1864 while campaigning against Early. — Map (db m645) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement