Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
A. Mitchell Palmer Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, August 2, 2015
A. Mitchell Palmer Marker
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — A. Mitchell Palmer 1872-1936
US Congressman, 1909- 1915, US Attorney General, 1919-1921, and contender for Democratic presidential nomination, 1920. As Attorney General, led “Palmer Raids” during the “Red Scare,” prosecuting those suspected of being . . . — Map (db m86961) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Col. Jacob Stroud
In Memory of Col. Jacob Stroud, Born 1735, Died 1806, Founder of Stroudsburg; his son Daniel, appointed by his father as his successor to the Lordship of Stroudsburg; and the Revolutionary Soldiers buried herein. — Map (db m22) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Colonel Jacob Stroud
Colonel Jacob Stroud is buried in this graveyard, originally the cemetery of the Mission of Dansbury. Begun by the Monrovian Brethren in 1743, the chapel destroyed in the Indian uprising of 1755 was erected in 1753 under the leadership of Daniel . . . — Map (db m37942) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — 396C — Dansbury Mission
Erected about 1744, by Daniel Brodhead, for use by Monrovian missionaries. Destroyed by the Indians in 1755, during the French and Indian War. The site adjoined the present cemetery. — Map (db m37943) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Delaware Water Gap Resort Point Overlook
Welcome to Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. This unit of the National Park system stretches along both sides of the middle Delaware River for 40 miles from Milford in the north to the scenic Water Gap in the south. The park has places to . . . — Map (db m87136) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Delaware Water Gap Point of Gap Overlook
Welcome to Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. This unit of the National Park system stretches along both sides of the middle Delaware River for 40 miles from Milford in the north to the scenic Water Gap in the south. The park has places to . . . — Map (db m87137) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Fort Hamilton
Built at direction of Benjamin Franklin. Named after James Hamilton, a member of the Governor's Council. Stood NW of here, garrisoned 1755-57, one of a chain of forts later replaced by Fort Penn. Abandoned in 1757. — Map (db m28) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Fort Hamilton
One of a chain of frontier forts of the Province of Pennsylvania in the French and Indian War. Erected under the direction of Benjamin Franklin. Stood hard-by to the rear extending across Ninth Street. Built in January 1756 by Captain Levi Trump and . . . — Map (db m29) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Fort Penn
Named for Governor John Penn, and replacing Fort Hamilton, the fort stood nearby. In 1763, it was garrisoned by Provincial troops. Later it served as refuge from attacks following the Battle of Wyoming, July 3, 1778. — Map (db m30) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Jacob Stroud 1735-1806
Colonel in the militia and Revolutionary patriot. He stockaded his home as Fort Penn. Member, state constitutional convention, 1776, and state legislature, 1781-1783. He founded Stroudsburg in 1799; he and his son Daniel then laid out the town — Map (db m86960) WM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — John Summerfield Staples (1845-1888)
In 1864, President Lincoln named this young Stroudsburg man as his "representative recruit" for the Union Army in the Civil War. The U.S. War Department had appealed to citizens ineligible for the draft to furnish recruits, and Lincoln chose to set . . . — Map (db m86938) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — McMichaels Creek
An important part of early Stroudsburg. About 1853, Ephraim Culver built a grist mill, only to see it burned by Indians. Later, more mills were built. Many were destroyed by floods. The present dam, believed to be built before 1884, diverted water . . . — Map (db m37944) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Monroe County
Formed April 1, 1836 out of Northampton and Pike counties. Named for President James Monroe. Site of Indian raids, 1755-82, and of a segment of Sullivan's March. Pocono Mountains famed as a resort area. County seat, Stroudsburg, was incorporated in . . . — Map (db m86963) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Stroud Mansion Monroe County Historical Association
Community House built by Jacob Stroud 1795; Home of Daniel Stroud; Civic Club of Stroudsburg; Monroe County Historical Society; Jacob Stroud Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution; Public Library — Map (db m86957) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement