Site of Old Forte Matuxon, dismantled in 1676 by Major John Page.
Page’s Warehouse, port of entry and export, established by Matthew Page long prior to 1734. Town incorporated November 1762. Competed with Richmond for capitol of Virginia. — — Map (db m54756) HM
During Confederate Brig. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart's intelligence gathering "Ride Around McClellan," a skirmish ensued atop this hill on 13 June 1862 when several companies of the 9th Virginia Cavalry collided with the 5th United States Cavalry. Stuart's . . . — — Map (db m15846) HM
Airmail service was initiated by the U.S. Post Office and the Army on 15 May 1918. Because of the danger night flying posed, airway beacons such as Studley were erected along the airmail routes between the East and West Coasts and Georgia and New . . . — — Map (db m22375) HM
Here on May 28, 1864 the Confederate cavalry under Major General Fitzhugh Lee in a severe engagement withstood for five hours the Federal advance, thereby allowing the Army of Northern Virginia to take its position beyond the Totopotomoy. Near this . . . — — Map (db m14262) HM
Confederate cavalry under Gen. Wade Hampton arrived here May 28, 1864, hoping to locate the whereabouts of the Federal army. Hampton’s leading column collided with Gen. David Gregg’s Union cavalry division near the Haw’s Shop crossroads, one mile in . . . — — Map (db m15781) HM
This intersection was known as Polly Hundley’s Corner during the Civil War. The roads led to Atlee’s Station, the Pamunkey River, Mechanicsville and Hanover Courthouse. A sign here announced that it was only seven miles to Richmond and just two . . . — — Map (db m15757) HM
A once thriving village which in 1761 by a small vote missed being capital of Virginia. Here on May 27, 1864 the Federal army under Lt. General Grant crossed the Pamunkey in its movement from the Wilderness to the James. Here also crossed Sheridan . . . — — Map (db m14263) HM
After crossing the Pamunkey River, Grant ordered his army to consolidate near this intersection.
While the cavalry fought a ferocious battle west of here at Enon Church on May 28, 1864, Grant’s infantry reconnoitered north toward Hanover Court . . . — — Map (db m15817) HM
One-quarter mile to the Northwest, at Linney’s, “Jeb” Stuart’s cavalry met and charged the Federals in the raid undertaken June 12-14, 1862, to discover the Federal line of communication. There fell Captain Wm. Latané. — — Map (db m14240) HM
Brig. General J.E.B. Stuart, riding with 1800 cavalry from Richmond to Ashland, Old Church, Tunstall, Providence Forge, and Charles City, thereby encircling McClellan's Army, at this point encountered the first Federal resistance. — — Map (db m14270) HM
The community of Studley takes its name from the birthplace of Patrick Henry (1736-1799), orator of the American Revolution and first state governor of Virginia. The Henry family resided at Studley until 1750. The house, which burned in 1807, was a . . . — — Map (db m15831) HM
On 26 May 1864, following the engagements along the North Anna River, Union Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant ordered Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan and two cavalry divisions to move southeastward to secure crossings on the Pamunkey River. The next morning . . . — — Map (db m15754) HM
Captain Co. F, “Essex Troop,” 9th Va. Cavalry, C.S.A., killed in action June 13, 1862, aged 29.
“A brother bore his body from the field” and “woman's voice.....read over this hallowed dust the ritual for the . . . — — Map (db m54758) HM