Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin Historical Markers

 
"The Old Rugged Cross" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Melinda Roberts, September 4, 2012
"The Old Rugged Cross" Marker
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — "The Old Rugged Cross"
On West Maple Street at North Kendall Avenue, on the left when traveling east on West Maple Street.
Most popular and widely accepted Christian hymn "The Old Rugged Cross" completed by Rev. George Bennard during Evangelistic meetings here Dec. 29, 1912 - Jan. 12, 1913 First sung as a quartet in the Friends Church Parlors and as a duet at . . . — Map (db m59215) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — ‘Old Bell’ Tower
On North 3rd Avenue at Kentucky Street on North 3rd Avenue.
A modern rendition of Bank of Sturgeon Bay's original tower erected in 1900 on the NW corner of 3rd Ave. & Kentucky St., and removed in 1939. The original bell was reacquired with the cooperation of the First Baptist Church of Sturgeon Bay where it . . . — Map (db m15722) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 110-114 North 3rd Avenue
On 3rd Avenue (County Road B) at Louisiana Street, on the right when traveling north on 3rd Avenue.

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m89963) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 41-Foot Utility Boat Large (UTB)
On Madison Avenue, on the right when traveling north.

The Coast Guard built 207 UTBs, at a cost of $235,000 for each boat, all at the Coast Guard Yard in Curtis Bay, Maryland, from 1973 to 1978. The 41-ft. UTB has been one of the most successful boats in Coast Guard history, ably serving as the . . . — Map (db m89920) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Air Funnel

This steel air funnel is from the iron ore carrier Middleton. This ship was also known as Nashanic, Gulfoil, and Pioneer Challenger. The vessel was built at the Bethlehem Steel Company Shipyard at Sparrows Point, . . . — Map (db m89900) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Anchor
On Madison Avenue at Locust Court, on the right when traveling north on Madison Avenue.

This anchor was recovered in Northern Lake Michigan in 1979 by the crew of the USCG cutter/buoy tender Acacia when that ship was stationed in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. It was assumed that the anchor got fouled in the rocks and could not . . . — Map (db m89905) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Bradley Crandall Sawmill Site
On North 3rd Avenue (County Highway B) near Delaware Street, on the left when traveling north.
This sawmill led to the founding of Sturgeon Bay 1853 The Founding of Little Lake Sturgeon Bay's first major settlement was founded in 1853 with the construction of the Bradley-Crandall Sawmill. The original mill was located on a . . . — Map (db m26859) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Buoy and Sinker
Near South Neenah Avenue.
Sailors have long used floating objects secured to the sea bottom to mark reefs, shoals and other obstructions. Early markers were simply a log or barrel tied to a large rock strategically placed to warn mariners of danger. Over time these markers . . . — Map (db m131507) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Capstans
On North Madison Avenue.
These vertical drums revolved on a spindle and were used for generating power required in heaving on a rope or an achor cable. Donated by Janice D. Turner Pfingsten in memory of Elmer W. Richter, USCG — Map (db m131461) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Captain John Roen — 1887 - 1970

Born in Tysse, Norway, where steep cliffs and narrow inlets receive the sea, John Roen answered the call to a life of adventure, traveling to the U.S. in 1906. He became a Captain in 1920, and through astute purchases of Great Lakes vessels he . . . — Map (db m89854) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Door County's Stone Fleet — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
Near Park Drive (County Highway PD) 2.4 miles north of Green Bay Road (State Highway 42 / 57), on the right when traveling north.
Behind you, Government Bluff rises 150 feet above the waters of Sturgeon Bay. It was here that Door County’s first industry began in 1834 — a limestone quarry. Originally intended for a military fort that was never constructed, the stone was . . . — Map (db m74258) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Dunlap Reef Light Tower
On Madison Avenue north of Larch Street, on the right when traveling north.

This light tower was used by the Coast Guard to mark Dunlap Reef, which is east of the navigation channel and north of the railroad bridge spur. (Bay View Park) in Sturgeon Bay.

Purchased with funds provided by Door County Marine Men's Club — Map (db m90974) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Eastern Terminus Ice Age National Scenic Trail — Potawatomi State Park
Near North Norwood Road.
This site marks the Eastern Terminus of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail. The Trail was designated a National Scenic Trail by Congress in 1980 and Wisconsin's first State Scenic Trail in 1987. The Western Terminus is in Interstate State Park on . . . — Map (db m39249) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Ellsworth L. Peterson — 1924 -

With a maritime career begun in 1941 at Peterson Boat Works stockroom, Ellsworth attended the USMMA [United States Merchant Marine Academy] Kings Point and sailed on tankers in WWII. He rejoined his family's business, learned the tools of the . . . — Map (db m89881) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Fish Tug Linda E — Vanished 11 Dec. 1998

Leif E. Weborg Of Gills Rock Wis Scott T. Matta Of Milwaukee Wis. Warren G. Olson Jr. Of Marinette Wis. — Map (db m89896) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Fred J. Peterson — 1894 - 1993

Fred started his career in 1908 in his father's boatyard, Peterson Boat Works (PBW), at age 14. After PBW burned in 1918, Fred worked as a shipbuilding supervisor at Leathem Smith Shipyard. A resourceful entrepreneur, he was involved in . . . — Map (db m89860) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — George J. Baudhuin — 1909 - 1969

George J. "Butch" Baudhuin was a primary force in the pleasure boat industry in Door County. Recognizing Sturgeon Bay's unique location connecting Lake Michigan and Green Bay, he began Baudhuin Yacht Harbor (now Sturgeon Bay Yacht Harbor) in . . . — Map (db m89855) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Hay Hardware — 1889 — Third Avenue Historic District
On 3rd Avenue at Kentucky Street, on the right when traveling south on 3rd Avenue.

This visually prominent building is a handsome example of the two-part commercial block style common during the period. It originally anchored what was once downtown's principal business corner prior to the completion of the Michigan Street . . . — Map (db m89958) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Historic Museum Tug John Purves — WWII Veteran (US Army Transport LT145) — Constructed in 1919 as the Butterfield

[Title is text] — Map (db m89890) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Historic Sturgeon Bay — Downtown Historic District
On North 3rd Avenue at Kentucky Street on North 3rd Avenue.
The Downtown Historic District includes over forty late 19th and early 20th century commercial, civic and converted buildings. It is located along the three block long heart of Sturgeon Bay's traditional downtown. The District grew as a casual grid . . . — Map (db m26885) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Howard A & Lou E Olson — 9/13/07 - 2/28/2002 • 12/30/14 - 7/16/2002 — In Memory of

Howard loved the water, sailing and knew all about ships. He was a sailor, shipbuilder, boat launcher, and a long-time DCMM docent. He couldn't wait to sail each spring.

Lou was a great supporter of Howard. She cared for their home, . . . — Map (db m89897) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Karl Overland — April 24, 1912 - March 6, 1997 — To the Memory of
On Columbia Avenue north of Green Bay Road (Wisconsin Highway 42/57), on the right when traveling north.

Caring - Compassionate - Loving Co-Founder of Overland Bolling Company Committed and devoted to his Customers and Employees Remembered for his warm friendly smile Lived his life by these simple words You Reap What You Sow" "Be The . . . — Map (db m89827) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Karl Overland — April 24, 1912 - March 6, 1997 — In the Memory of

United States Coast Guard Radio Tower

Karl Overland Co-Founder of Overland Bolling Company Founded in 1956

Lived his life by these simple words "You Reap What You Sow" "Be The Best That You Can Be In This Land of . . . — Map (db m89884) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 417 — Leathem and Smith Quarry
Near Bay Shore Drive (County Highway B) 0.4 miles north of Bay Shore Heights Drive, on the left when traveling north.
John Leathem and Thomas Smith established this dolomite quarry at the mouth of Sturgeon Bay in 1893. Though they produced dimension stone for building harbors around Lake Michigan, Leathem and Smith's quarry became a major operation by capitalizing . . . — Map (db m39345) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Lost Great Lakes Mariners

For many centuries, mariners have traversed the Great Lakes to deliver passengers and cargo, to gather fish, and to enjoy the splendid waters. This plaque is dedicated to those who lost their lives in this great water wilderness: the commercial . . . — Map (db m89853) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Masonic Temple — 1928 — Third Avenue Historic District
On 3rd Avenue south of Michigan Street, on the right when traveling south.

The Henry S. Baird Masonic Lodge was initially established in 1878 and was housed in a number of locations around downtown [illegible] 50 years before establishing a permanent home at this location. The building was designed by local architect . . . — Map (db m89962) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Merchants Exchange Bank
On 3rd Avenue (County Road B) at Michigan Street (County Road B), on the right when traveling north on 3rd Avenue.

This structure is listed in the National Register of Historic Places in Washington, D.C. — Map (db m89961) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Portage Park
On Lake Forest Park Road (County Route TT).
Here began the Indian canoe portage between Lake MIchigan and Sturgeon Bay — Map (db m39092) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Propeller and Stirrup Bearing
On Madison Avenue north of Larch Street, on the right when traveling north.

This cast iron propeller and stirrup bearing unit is from the Steamer Wotum, which was built in 1893. This historic ship was 190 feet long, had a 36-foot beam, and weighed 936 gross tons. A steam engine was installed about 1910 - fore . . . — Map (db m90975) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Propellers from the tug John Purves — 4-blade, 76 in. diameter

These two propellers were removed from the John Purves during her renovation in 2007 and wrapped with rope for display.

They were originally installed in 1957 when the vessel was converted from steam to diesel power at the Sturgeon . . . — Map (db m89886) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Robert E. Peterson — 1922 - 1989

Bob Peterson lived on the water, worked on the water and played on the water. In 1939 he officially joined Peterson Builders Inc., the shipyard started by his father, Fred. After several military deferments, he enlisted in the army and served . . . — Map (db m89858) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Robert Laurie and Alexander Laurie — 1825 - 1889 • 1852 - 1939

In the early 1850's Robert Laurie and his family immigrated to the United States from Glasgow, Scotland. They bought land north of the village of Sturgeon Bay in an area now known as Sevastopol. Mr. Laurie, a sailor and shipbuilder by trade, . . . — Map (db m89852) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Schooner Rudder
On North Madison Avenue.
The schooner was found off Bailey's Harbor in Door County, Wisconsin. The rudder was brought up from Lake Michigan by Century Divers of Lake County, Illinois. It is estimated to be from about 1827. — Map (db m131469) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Semper Paratus
On Madison Avenue north of Locust Court, on the right when traveling north.

This plaque is given by the State of Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs in grateful recognition of the United States Coast Guard, for its long and storied history of steadfast service in Wisconsin. On the mighty Mississippi River, the . . . — Map (db m89903) HM WM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Ship Propellers
On West Maple Street.
Much of the history of the City of Sturgeon Bay has been shaped by the comings and goings of all manner of ships and boats. The marine propeller played an important role as these vessels transitioned from sail to steam as their primary means of . . . — Map (db m131476) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Ship's Double Wheel
Near North Madison Avenue.
Mounted on the stern of the ship over the rudder, the double wheel was used to steer the ship in the event of a breakdown of the regular steering system. The two wheels provided space for additional "man" power. Donated by John and Robert Purves . . . — Map (db m131467) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Steam Barge Joys — Historic Shipwreck — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
Near Alabama Street.
Resting 150 yards off shore from here is the wreckage of the steam barge Joys, a vessel once hailed as a “greyhound among lumber carriers” for her record-breaking speed. The Joys was constructed in 1884 in the Milwaukee Ship Yard . . . — Map (db m43400) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Steam Engine
On Madison Avenue north of Larch Street, on the right when traveling north.

This engine is from the Mercury (length 250.8, beam 43.01), which was built by the Pennsylvania Shipyard of Beaumont, Texas. She was launched in June 1937 for Tankers, Inc. before moving to Lakeland Tankers Ltd., its Canadian subsidiary . . . — Map (db m90979) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay and Lake Michigan Ship Canal
Near Canal Road east of Buffalo Ridge Road, on the right when traveling east. Reported missing.
This canal was the dream of Joseph Harris, Sr., "the Father of the Sturgeon Bay and Lake Michigan Ship Canal." His intent was not only to provide a shorter and safer route for sailing vessels, but to also become rich by selling building lots along . . . — Map (db m15196) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay Bridge
On Madison Avenue at Sturgeon Bay, on the right when traveling north on Madison Avenue.

This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and the Citizens For Our Bridge organization

Opened July 4, 1931 . . . — Map (db m90978) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — An Historic Coast Guard City
On South Neenah Avenue.
For over 140 years, the City of Sturgeon Bay has enjoyed a long and productive relationship with the United States Coast Guard and its predecessor services. In 1873 the Lighthouse Establishment began setting buoys to mark the treacherous Dunlap Reef . . . — Map (db m131472) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — Crossing the Water
On South Neenah Avenue.
When Sturgeon Bay was settled in the 1850's a boat was needed to cross the bay except in winter when people and teams of horses or oxen could cross over the ice. Ferry service was established beginning in 1860, using rowed or winch pulled ferries . . . — Map (db m131478) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal
On South Neenah Avenue.
Completion of this waterborne shortcut between Green Bay and Lake Michigan in 1878 is arguably the most important event in the maritime history of the City of Sturgeon Bay and the Door Peninsula as a whole. Officially titled "The Sturgeon Bay and . . . — Map (db m131489) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — Sawyer Dock and Park
Near South Neenah Avenue.
Prior to merging with the City of Sturgeon Bay in 1891, the west side of the bay was known as Sawyer. Despite being absorbed into Sturgeon Bay, the west side continued to be called Sawyer for many years and many landmarks bear the Sawyer name, . . . — Map (db m131491) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — The Cutters of Sturgeon Bay
Near South Neenah Avenue.
Revenue Marine and Coast Guard vessels, known as "cutters," have been frequent visitors to the port of Sturgeon Bay for decades. The Door Peninsula's many lighthouses also made Sturgeon Bay a frequent port-of-call for U.S. Lighthouse Service tenders . . . — Map (db m131503) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Sturgeon Bay's Waterfront History — Buoys and Beacons
Near South Neenah Avenue.
An essential element to safe maritime travel has long been visual navigational aids such as buoys and lighthouses. Collectively, this system of markers and beacons is known as Aids to Navigation - or AtoN for short. The five Great Lakes alone . . . — Map (db m131506) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — The Fluke Anchor
Near South Neenah Avenue.
From the earliest days of humans putting to sea in ships, there has been a need to "anchor" a vessel to the bottom. The first anchors were simply large stones. However, the need for a lighter, more efficient securing device quickly became essential. . . . — Map (db m131502) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — The Old Bridge
Near N.Madison Ave..
In pioneer times, private boats and commercial ferries were used to cross the waters of Sturgeon Bay. In 1887 the crossing became considerable [sic] easier when John D. Leathem and Thomas H. Smith completed a toll bridge consisting of a wooden plank . . . — Map (db m43677) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 98 — The Orchards of Door County
On State Highway 42 near Maple Heights Circle (unmarked private farm road).
In 1858 Joseph Zettel, a native of Switzerland, acquired the farm directly south of this Station and established the first commercial orchard on the Door Peninsula. The high yields and quality of his fruit aroused the interest of Emmett S. Goff of . . . — Map (db m5190) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Wisconsin State Rock
Near Canal Road east of Buffalo Ridge Road, on the right when traveling east.
This monument is an intrusive igneous red granite rock — the official rock of the State of Wisconsin. It was quarried near Wausau, Wisconsin, and specifically known as "Wisconsin Ruby Red." It was crystallized from magma about 1750 million . . . — Map (db m15205) HM

50 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.