Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Susanville, California Historical Markers

 
Peter Lassen Information Kiosk at Entrance to Cemetery image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, April 11, 2008
Peter Lassen Information Kiosk at Entrance to Cemetery
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Birth of Peter Lassen
“Peter Lassen was born on October 31, 1800 in Farum, Denmark. At the time Farum was a small village about 15 miles northwest of Copenhagen. Peter was a son of humble parents. His mother was Johanne Sophie Westergaard and his father was Lars . . . — Map (db m14179) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Burial of Peter Lassen
“In November 1859 – almost half a year after Lassenís death, another party with Joe Kitts, Antone Storff, and John Tutt, began a new trip back to Black Rock. The men were going to bring the remains of Peter Lassenís body back to . . . — Map (db m14233) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — LAS-002 — Jacks Valley
Named for John "Coyote Jack" Wright who left here in 1869. By 1880, five wagon roads converged here which resulted in various establishments over the years including a stage station, saloon, sawmill, dance hall, logging camp, and agricultural . . . — Map (db m87820) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Larry Griffith
Lassen County Deputy Sheriff Larry Griffith was killed in the line of duty March 2, 1995 On that date, Deputies Larry Griffith, Henry Mahan, William Freitas and Wayne Aldridge were on duty on the Madeline Plains and were . . . — Map (db m87781) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Lassen County Courthouse
Lassen County was officially created on April 1, 1864 and three months later Susanville's founder, Isaac Roop donated this city block for the Lassen County Courthouse. On January 23, 1888 Holden Dick and Mexican Ben were lynched here, marking the . . . — Map (db m87779) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Lassen Lodge No. 149 F.&A.M
Commemorating the centennial of Lassen Lodge No. 149 F.&A.M., March 21, 1961 and in memory of Isaac N. Roop, ardent Free Mason, founder of Susanville, first Governor of the provisional Territory of Nevada, civic leader and friend of Man, and John S. . . . — Map (db m87783) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Lassenís Bosquejo Rancho
“When Lassen returned to Sutterís Fort he was still haunted by memories of the beautiful scenery in the North Valley. He decided to apply for land and settle there. There were no settlements at all in this region, so there would be room enough . . . — Map (db m14226) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Migration of Peter Lassen
“We do not know the exact date on which Peter Lassen arrived in America. Let us suppose that he landed in the early spring of 1831. Most reports say that Lassen arrived in Boston, Massachusetts. Also his passport had Boston written as the . . . — Map (db m31741) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — 675 — Noble Emigrant Trail
This meadow, now a city park, was a welcome stopping place on the Noble Emigrant Trail, pioneered by William H. Nobles in 1851 and first used in 1852. Here, emigrants en route to the Northern California mines were able to rest, refresh their stocks, . . . — Map (db m10268) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — N-26 — Nobles Trail - Rooptown
"This is a village of about 20 houses nearly all of which were built this summer. (It) is situated at the head of the valley... there is a hotel, store, blacksmith shop and... a saw-mill not far away." - Allen J. Tyrrell, Sep 8, 1860 . . . — Map (db m87785) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Oakes & Philbrook Furniture Store
William Vellenoweth, better known to a generation of Susanville youngsters as Dad Popcorn, had his colorful stand at this location from 1918 to 1931. This building, constructed in 1901 as the Oakes & Philbrook Furniture Store, also housed the . . . — Map (db m112617) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Peter Lassen Grave
In memory of Peter Lassen the pioneer who was killed by the Indians April 26, 1859 Aged 66 years — Map (db m10261) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Peter Lassen In California
“In Camponit Peter Lassen and his party had been waiting for the winter to be over. Instead of crossing the mountain ranges on their way south, he and six other persons decided to go by ship from Fort Vancouver. A small steamship, . . . — Map (db m31740) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Pioneer Saloon
A saloon has been on this site since 1862. Originally known as the Humboldt Exchange, in 1863 the name was changed to the Pioneer. This bar is the oldest established business in northeastern California. — Map (db m87810) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — LAS-003 — Richmond
Due to "Gold Fever" and named for Richmond, Virginia by Orlando Streshly in 1859, the town of Richmond grew rapidly until 1861 - becoming the most important and populous settlement in the county "... overshadowing Susanville." Sporting hotels, a . . . — Map (db m87808) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — 76 — Roop's Fort
Built in July 1854 by Isaac N. Roop. First called Roop's House, and used as stopping place by emigrant trains. It was the locale of the "sagebrush war" fought in 1863 between Plumas County and Lassen County citizens. — Map (db m10266) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Susanville Railroad Depot
has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1927 — Map (db m87778) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Susanville Veterans Memorial Building
Constructed and dedicated to honor the Veterans of World War I and all future Veterans who have served the United States of America and Lassen County, Constructed February through August of 1926 and Dedicated on August 17, 1926 The . . . — Map (db m113271) HM WM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — The Grand Cafe
Established in 1909, the Grand was first operated by Kwan Wong. In 1912, the Grand moved to this location and in 1921 Sam Vucanovich and Steve Sargent became the new owners. The original building collapsed in 1934 from construction next door and the . . . — Map (db m87817) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement