Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Traverse City, Michigan Historical Markers

 
Central United Methodist Church and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 26, 2016
Central United Methodist Church and Marker
Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — Central United Methodist Church Michigan Sesquicentennial Organization

This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Central United Methodist Church Founded in 1858 For more than 150 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for . . . — Map (db m98227) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — Civil War Memorial

The Civil War Soldier statue was purchased by public donations from the Chicago Bronze Company and dedicated at a public ceremony on Decoration Day, May 30, 1890. Over 300 Civil War Veterans were joined by 4,000 citizens at the unveiling at the . . . — Map (db m98272) HM WM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — L0297 — Grand Traverse County Courthouse

Grand Traverse County was officially organized in 1851. Its first courthouse and jail were built in 1854 for $600 on land donated by the lumbering firm Hannah, Lay and Company. The courthouse, a wooden structure, burned in 1862. The county used . . . — Map (db m98213) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — Korean War Memorial 1950 - 1953 Freedom Is Not Free —

This monument is dedicated to all the men and women who served in the Korean War, to whom we owe our deepest respect and gratitude. They went not for conquest, not for personal gain, but to preserve freedom.

On June 25th 1950, Communist . . . — Map (db m98229) WM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — L1309 — Ladies Library Building

On July 28, 1869, eight Traverse City women organized the Ladies Library Association. In 1878 the association purchased its first building, at 205 East Front Street. In 1909 the association sold that building and retained Fred E. Moore as . . . — Map (db m98228) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — Second Industrial Revolution Historic Traverse City The West Bay Waterfront —

In 1942, the local Chamber of Commerce persuaded the Parsons Corporation to move its Pureaire Unit Kitchen Division into the vacant 60-year-old Greilick plant. About the same time the Sheffer Collet Company also started operations in a . . . — Map (db m98231) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — Spanish-American War Memorial 1898 In Memoriam 1902

This tablet was erected and dedicated by the people of Grand Traverse region May 30, 1924 in honor of all her boys who served in the Spanish-American War and in ever grateful memory of those who died while in . . . — Map (db m98221) WM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — The J.E. Greilick Factory Historic Traverse City The West Bay Waterfront —

From any perspective this location marks the most historic industrial site in the Grand Traverse region. Here the Greilick family produced the woodwork, both interior and exterior, that finished the majority of the Victorian homes in the . . . — Map (db m98230) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — U.S.S. Sabine Parrott Rifle

This 6.4 inch 100 Pounder Parrot[t] Rifled Naval Cannon served on the U.S.S. Sabine during the Civil War. It is the only one from that ship that survives today. The cannon was cast in 1862 at the West Point Foundry (Registration #15 Foundry . . . — Map (db m98250) HM WM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans

The Traverse City Auto Dealers are proud to honor the Veterans of Vietnam at this park site marking the entrance to the Central Business District. Welcome to Traverse City.

[Auto Dealers not transcribed]

"Armed Forces Day" - . . . — Map (db m98198) WM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — World War Memorial 1917 In Memoriam 1919

This tablet was erected and dedicated by the people of Grand Traverse region May 30, 1924 in honor of all her boys and girls who served in the World War and in loving memory of those who died while in service.

Clyde B. Allen . . . — Map (db m98222) WM


11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement