Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Tuscumbia, Alabama Historical Markers

 
American Indian History Marker Side 2 image, Touch for more information
By Sandra Hughes, June 10, 2009
American Indian History Marker Side 2
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — American Indian History
Side 1 Oka Kapassa (Ococoposa), meaning "Cold Water", was the Chickasaw name given to Spring Creek and to a trading post established near the Tennessee River about 1780. About 1817, Michael Dickerson and others were greeted at what by . . . — Map (db m83393) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — At This Well
Near Keller Lane at North Commons Street West, on the left when traveling north.
Annie Sullivan Macy revealed the mystery of language to seven year old Helen Keller by spelling the word W-A-T-E-R into her hand as water flowed over the other hand — Map (db m106094) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Belle Mont
On Cook Lane.
Built between 1828 and 1832, Belle Mont is a foremost example of Jeffersonian Palladian Architecture in the deep south and one of Alabama's first great plantation houses. It was build for Dr. Alexander W. Mitchell, a native of Virginia, and a . . . — Map (db m29561) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Colbert County Courthouse Square District
On South Main Street at 4th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street.
22 structures, first Northwest Alabama historic district placed on National Register of Historic Places (1973): Courthouse, erected 1881, shows Italianate and Greek Revival influences. Fifth Street, Commercial Row, seven adjoining brick structures . . . — Map (db m28584) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Cold Water Falls
On S. Main Street.
World's Largest Man-Made Natural Stone Waterfall to be known in existence 80 feet wide, 48 feet tall 1,780 tons of Colbert County Sandstone 4,320,000 gallons of water per day passes over falls Largest stone weights 77,000 pounds 120 days . . . — Map (db m83394) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Ethel Davis PlazaIn Memory of — Ethel Davis, Artist —
On North Water Street, on the right when traveling south.
1896-1968 Ethel Davis' vision and determination to enhance the quality of life in the Shoals through support and encouragement of the arts led to the foundation of the Tennessee Valley Art Association in 1963. The following year the City of . . . — Map (db m83395) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — First Baptist Church
On N. Dickson St..
This congregation was organized in July 1823 as Concord Church, later known as Union Church, then as Tuscumbia Baptist. Jeremiah Burns was the first pastor. It began meeting at this site about 1845 in a plain wooden building. The New England-style . . . — Map (db m28564) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — First Presbyterian Church
On East 4th Street at North Broad Street, on the right when traveling east on East 4th Street.
First Presbyterian Church was organized April 13, 1824, by Scots-Irish settlers. The sanctuary, erected in 1827, is the oldest in continuous use in Alabama. Its Georgian Gothic style remains essentially unchanged. The brick walls are laid in . . . — Map (db m40429) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — History of Tuscumbia, Alabama
On South Main Street at West 6th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street.
(Obverse): The area around the Big Spring was inhabited by prehistoric Native Americans as early as 10,000 years ago. The first settlement was a French trading post and Indian village about 1780 on Cold Water Creek (Spring Creek) near the . . . — Map (db m83396) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Howell Thomas Heflin1921~2005
On S. Main Street just from 4th Street, on the right when traveling south.
Howell Thomas Heflin retired from a lifetime of distinguished public service in 1997, having served Alabama in the U.S. Senate for three consecutive terms. There he was known as a national leader on judicial, agricultural, defense, and space issues. . . . — Map (db m28586) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Ivy GreenBirthplace of Helen Keller
The Family Home of Captain Arthur M. & Kate Adams Keller was built 1820, being the second house erected in Tuscumbia. Here on June 27, 1880 was born America's First Lady of Courage Helen Adams Keller — Map (db m29089) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Jackson's Military Road
On South Dickson Street at East 7th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Dickson Street.
After the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, General Andrew Jackson proposed this road as a shorter and improved route for military movements between Nashville and New Orleans. The U.S. War Department authorized Jackson to appoint an engineer and . . . — Map (db m83401) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Petrified Conifer Tree / Petrified Lycopod Tree Stump
On S. Main Street.
Plaque A 85-90 Million Years Old Possibly a Bald Cypress from the Cretaceous Period or the Age of Dinosaurs Plaque B 325 Million Years Old A Member of the Giant Club Mosses from the early Coal Age — Map (db m29287) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Sacred TearsBy Branko Medenica — September 19, 2003 —
On South Main Street at Spring Park Road, on the left when traveling south on South Main Street.
Panel 1 Tuscumbia and much of the Shoals area played an integral part in the "Trail of Tears" with the Tennessee River route and the overland routes. In 1825, the U.S. Government formally adopted a removal policy, which was carried out . . . — Map (db m83403) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — St. John's Episcopal Church
On North Dickson Street at East 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north on North Dickson Street.
This congregation was organized in the 1830's, with services being held in private homes and the Methodist meeting house. The present building was first used in October 1852 and completed the following year. During the Civil War, Union troops . . . — Map (db m28422) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — 99 — The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Alabama
On U.S. 72.
Musicians have long crossed the Alabama -Mississippi border to perform and record. Mississippians such as Albert King, Little Milton, and Pops Staples recorded at studios in Muscle Shoals and Sheffield, including those owned by Mississippi natives . . . — Map (db m50652) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — The Challenge / The Response
On North Jefferson Street.
The Challenge "Will you not help me hasten the day when there shall be no preventable blindness; no little deaf, blind child untaught; no blind man or woman unaided? I appeal to you Lions, you who have sight, your hearing, you who are strong . . . — Map (db m108373) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — The Moon Tree
On North Jefferson Street.
The Moon Tree was grown from seeds that journeyed to the moon and back aboard Apollo 14 during the period of January 31-February 9, 1971. The seed was germinated by the U.S. Forest Service in Gulfport, Mississippi, and the seedling was presented to . . . — Map (db m108374) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Trenholm High School
On Trenholm Memorial Drive east of South High Street, on the right when traveling east.
(side 1) Formal education for Tuscumbia’s African American children began in 1870 at the Freedman School taught by Judge Wingo and his daughter in a church at the foot of the hill. In July 1877, the Osborne Colored Academy was established . . . — Map (db m80944) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Tuscumbia Big Spring
On Spring Park Road, on the left when traveling west.
Big Spring (average daily flow 35,000,000 gallons) provided water for town founded on its banks. Michael Dickson of Tennessee was first settler (about 1817). Town laid out in 1819 and incorporated as Ococoposo (Cold Water, 1820). Name changed to . . . — Map (db m83453) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Tuscumbia Railway First Railroad west of Alleghenies
On West 5th Street at South Water Street, on the right when traveling west on West 5th Street.
First Railroad west of Alleghenies 1832 ~ begun here; completed to Decatur, 45 miles east, in 1834. Cotton shipped by this line around nearby Muscle Shoals, then by boat down Tennessee ~ Mississippi R to world markets. 1851 ~ expanded to . . . — Map (db m28413) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Tuscumbia's Oakwood Cemetery
On South Commons Street at South Hickory Street, on the right when traveling west on South Commons Street.
This burial ground was designated on General John Coffee's 1817 survey and original map "Plan of a Town at the Coldwater Spring." The oldest tombstone carries the burial date 1821 and the cemetery contains graves of veterans from all wars beginning . . . — Map (db m28567) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — U. S. Army M60A3 Main Battle Tank
On South Water Street.
Obtained from Ft. Rucker, AL by American Legion Post No. 31 April 28, 1999

*Weapons: 105 mm rifled cannon. 7.62 mm and .50 caliber machine guns. *Engine: 750 hp. 12 cylinder air-cooled diesel. *Crew-4 men: Weight-107.900 lb.: Speed-30 mph: . . . — Map (db m107646) HM

Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — William Winston Home
On N. Commons St. East.
Construction on the home which became the center building of Deshler High School was begun in 1824 by Clark T. Barton. William Winston purchased and completed the Georgian-style dwelling in 1833. The largest remaining antebellum house in Tuscumbia, . . . — Map (db m28565) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Winston Cemetery
On SW 14th Avenue near SW 7th Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Winston family settled this area in the early 1820s. Andrew Jackson purchased the property at the U.S. government land sale and conveyed it to Col. Anthony Winston (1782-1841) who lived nearby in a two-story brick Federal-style house (razed . . . — Map (db m28566) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Yellow Fever Epidemic 1878 / The 31 Victims of Yellow Fever Who died in Tuscumbia
On North Main Street at North Commons Street, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street.
Side AYellow Fever Epidemic 1878 Taking 31 Lives in Tuscumbia Citizen's Relief Committee: F.H. Aydlett, H.M. Finley, J.J. Davis, James Jackson, Chm. J.W. Rand Jr., F.A. Ross, J.N. Sampson, Sec. and C. A. Womble. . . . — Map (db m29263) HM

26 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement