Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Tyler, Texas Historical Markers

 
1881 Smith County Jail image, Touch for more information
By Randal B. Gilbert, September 10, 2015
1881 Smith County Jail
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 1881 Smith County Jail
Houston architect Eugene T. Heiner and builder Henry Kane designed and built this structure in 1880-81 to serve as Smith County's fourth jail. An 1894 second-story addition doubled the jail's cell space. The building was replaced by a new jail in . . . — Map (db m88455) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — African Americans at Camp Ford
   The issues of African Americans in the military became a keystone of controversy involving the politics of prisoner of war exchange. This issue did not start in the east, but in the theater of the Mississippi river, and Camp Ford became a . . . — Map (db m60186) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 12495 — Antioch Baptist Church
Records of the Smith County Baptist Association indicate that this congregation was established in 1851. Members held worship services in homes and in the local schoolhouse until they built their first sanctuary in 1857. Since the church had only . . . — Map (db m92265) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Arthur "Dooley" Wilson1886 - 1953 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
African-American actor appearing in over 20 films. Cast as pianist, Sam in Casablanca performing "As Time Goes By." — Map (db m111859) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Brady P. Gentry1896 - 1966 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
Gentry served as a U.S. Congressman and Texas Highway Commission Chair. He was instrumental in the development of Texas Farm Roads and the Interstate Highway System. He also was a benefactor to Tyler Junior College. — Map (db m105740) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 15480 — Butler College
Rev. Cornelius Moses Butler and Trustees of the East Texas Baptist Association founded East Texas Baptist Academy in 1905. The Association was created to improve educational opportunities for African American youth in and around the City of Tyler. . . . — Map (db m91503) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Cabin of Lt. Col. J.B. Leake(Camp Ford, Tyler Texas)
   J.B. Leake was a Lieutenant Colonel in the 20th Iowa. Captured at the battle of Stirling Plantation near Morganza, Louisiana September 29, 1863, he arrived in the first large group of prisoners on October 23, 1863. Lt. Col. Leake, being the . . . — Map (db m60596) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7708 — Camp Fannin
Numerous military bases were expanded or established throughout Texas during World War II. Originally planned as an Air Corps installation, construction of Camp Fannin began in late 1942. Named in honor of Texas revolutionary hero James Walker . . . — Map (db m60597) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Camp Fannin1943 - 1946 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
"A Grateful Nation Remembers" U.S. Army Infantry Replacement Center was located 8 miles NE of Tyler on US 271. An estimated 150,000 men received basic combat training during WWII. — Map (db m111841) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 14566 — Camp Fannin Internment CampWorld War II P.O.W. Camp
Camp Fannin was also the site of an internment camp, with the first prisoners of war (POWs) from Germany's Afrika Korps arriving in Oct. 1943. By early 1944, the military designated the site a POW base camp that administered a number of smaller . . . — Map (db m60598) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Camp Fannin, Texas
  The camp was named in honor of Col. James Walker Fannin, who was killed at the Battle of Goliad in the Texas Revolution. It opened in March, 1943, the first cadre from Camp Robinson, Arkansas arrived in March 1943 and the first trainees arrived in . . . — Map (db m61703) HM WM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7709 — Camp Ford
On this site during the Civil War was located Camp Ford the largest prisoner of war compound for Union troops west of Mississippi river named in honor of Col. John S. "Rip" Ford who originally established a training camp here in 1862. It was . . . — Map (db m26916) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 16090 — Camp Ford
Stockade prison of Federal soldiers during the Civil War — Map (db m33408) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Camp Ford1862 - 1865 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
Confederate training camp and largest Confederate prisoner of war camp west of the Mississippi for captured Union troops. — Map (db m105775) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Camp Ford - Early Days as a Prison Camp
   During the winter of 1863-64 the camp housed only about 170 prisoners, mostly officers. Life was generally pleasant and the men were well treated. Prison crafts and endeavors flourished. Fairly substantial log cabins were erected. Streets . . . — Map (db m60203) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Camp Ford - Establishment of the Camp
   In March 1862, the movement of the Confederate army in Northern Arkansas to the Mississippi River left the northern frontier of the Trans-Mississippi virtually defenseless. Immediate efforts in Texas were made to raise new regiments for service . . . — Map (db m60180) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Camp Ford - Naval Prisoners
Camp Ford had the distinction of having the most naval prisoners of any camp, North or South. There was no coordination between the branches, with each responsible for arranging the exchange of their men. By the fall of 1864, the naval prisoners, . . . — Map (db m60184) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Camp Ford - Prisoners from Louisiana
  In June 1863, CS General Richard Taylor commenced a campaign in South Louisiana that resulted in the capture of a number of Union troops in the Morgan City area. The enlisted men were paroled, but the officers were detained and sent to Shreveport. . . . — Map (db m60181) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Camp Ford Confederate Guards
   The initial guards at the camp were local militia commanded by a regular officer, Captain S.M. Warner. With the arrival of the Fordoche prisoners in October 1863, their numbers were inadequate, and an independent Cavalry company, the . . . — Map (db m60197) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Camp Ford StockadeConfederate Prisoner of War Camp — Union Prisoners
The initial prisoners to arrive at Camp Ford were kept in the open with no stockade. Panic resulted with the arrival with over 600 prisoners October 23, 1863. The Camp Commander, Col. R.T.P. Allen, with only 40 guards, discovered a plot among the . . . — Map (db m59725) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 17993 — Chilton-Lipstate-Taylor House
In 1887 Horace and Mary (Grinnan) Chilton acquired land in the Yarbrough addition and soon after started construction on a house for their family. The design, by an unknown architect, is reportedly modeled after Mary’s childhood home in Virginia. . . . — Map (db m91799) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7713 — Christ Episcopal Church
The Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of Texas, began missionary work with this congregation in 1866-1867. The earliest worship services were held in borrowed facilities. The first rector was Hungarian-born Emir Bela Gyeita Cardis Hamvasy, who . . . — Map (db m91547) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7762 — City of Tyler
In area opened 1839 to white settlers by Republic of Texas victories over Cherokee Indians whose trails led the way to good springs, fine farmlands, useful salines. The first Legislature of the state of Texas named the town (founded 1846) for . . . — Map (db m91468) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Col. Bryan Marsh1833-1901 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
Known as a famed Texas Ranger, Civil War veteran and Smith County Sheriff. Marsh Elementary was named in his honor. — Map (db m111840) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7740 — Colonel Bryan Marsh / Texas Civil War Manufacturing
(front) School named for Texas Confederate Colonel Bryan Marsh 1833-1901 Alabama native, came to Tyler, 1854. 1861 was captain Co. C, 17th Texas Cavalry. In 1863 Confederate campaigns to prevent split of South along . . . — Map (db m91362) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7734 — Colonel Richard B. Hubbard / Governor R. B. Hubbard
(south face) School named for Texas Confederate Colonel Richard B. Hubbard 1832-1901 Georgia-born, came to Texas 1853. Tyler lawyer, politician. State legislator. Raised 5th Tex. Inf. Bn., merged 1862 in Hubbard's Regt., 22nd . . . — Map (db m91592) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7707 — Colonel Thomas R. Bonner / Texas In the Civil War 1861-1865
(east face) School named for Texas Confederate Colonel Thomas R. Bonner 1836-1891 Born in Mississippi. Came to Texas 1849. In Texas militia at start of Civil War. Elected captain Co. C, 18th Tex. Infantry, C.S.A., 1862. . . . — Map (db m91433) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7724 — First Baptist Church of Tyler
Organized on April 8, 1848, with six charter members, this congregation first met in a log cabin courthouse on the town square. Led by elders W. H. Ray and W. B. Langston, services were held monthly, with members being called by the blowing of a . . . — Map (db m91472) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7730 — Goodman Home, 1857
Begun by Gallatin Smith, as "Bonnie Castle." Bought, 1866, by Dr. S.A. Goodman. Enlarged by his son, Major W.J. Goodman, surgeon in 13th Texas Infantry, C.S.A. Remodeled in 1920's by Mrs. Sallie Goodman LeGrand, the Major's last survivor. . . . — Map (db m91359) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Gov. Richard B. Hubbard1832 - 1901 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
Richard Bennett Hubbard, Jr. settled in Tyler, Texas in 1853. He was Governor of Texas from 1876 to 1879 and United States Envoy to Japan from 1885 to 1889. — Map (db m111863) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Hampson Boren Gary1873 - 1952 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
Born in Tyler, Gary was responsible for organizing the Smith County Rifles. He was also a soldier, public servant, diplomat to Egypt and minister to Switzerland. — Map (db m105735) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7732 — Headache Springs, C.S.A.Medical Laboratory
A quarter mile north of this site is "Headache Springs," noted for its healing mineral waters. During the Civil War, as sea blockades cut off imports, a Confederate medical laboratory operated here. One of nine, and only one west of Mississippi . . . — Map (db m91861) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 13089 — Henry Miller Morgan
On August 25, 1895, Henry Miller Morgan was born in Tyler's St. Louis community to Henry and Alice Ingram Morgan. He attended school in the St. Louis community, completing his education at East Texas Academy, which later became Butler College. He is . . . — Map (db m91360) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Henry Miller MorganAugust 25, 1895 - May 9, 1961 — "A Legend Gone, but not Forgotten"
Henry M. Morgan was born in Smith County, Texas. Mr. Morgan furthered his education at East Texas Academy, later named Butler College. He received a LLB degree from Summerville Law College, Dallas, Texas,and also studied at Wiley College. Mr. . . . — Map (db m91378) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 12194 — Hopewell Baptist Church
In early 1857 the Rev. J. S. Bledsoe began preaching in a post oak grove near the Hopewell community. By 1858 the Hopewell Baptist Church was organized with 30 members and the Rev. J. S. Bledsoe as first pastor. Harvey Yarborough deeded 10 acres . . . — Map (db m91828) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7733 — James Calhoun Hill(September 29, 1807 - November 17, 1879)
Migrating in 1840 from Alabama to Texas, James Calhoun Hill led the first permanent settlers into this vicinity. He served on the commission that ran boundaries of Smith County and platted the county seat in 1846. Prospering as a surveyor and . . . — Map (db m92016) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 12193 — John B. & Ketura Douglas House
Built about 1873, this was the home of John B. Douglas (1843-1893), a Civil War veteran, merchant and city official, and his wife Ketura (Kettie) Walker Douglas (1845-1912), a local church and civic leader. The area around this site was an . . . — Map (db m91432) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7720 — Judge Stockton P. Donley
. . . — Map (db m33933) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7721 — Major James P. Douglas / Good-Douglas Texas Battery
(east face) School named for Texas Confederate Major James P. Douglas 1836-1901 Born in South Carolina. Came to Texas 1848. Led 50 Tyler men, 1861, to join 50 in Dallas to form Good-Douglas Battery - only Texas artillery . . . — Map (db m91369) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7741 — Marvin Methodist Church
First church in Smith County. Organized 1848 by the Revs. Sam Box and Alexander Douglas. Had all-faiths services at first in log cabin on Courthouse Square, later in Adams blacksmith shop, south of Square. In 1852 built across street from this site, . . . — Map (db m91304) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7745 — New Harmony Baptist Church
This congregation was established in 1867 and accepted into the Cherokee Baptist Association in 1869. Seven of the church's nineteen charter members are buried in New Harmony Cemetery, established in 1870. Early services were held in a log building . . . — Map (db m91504) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7746 — Oakwood Cemetery
Originally called Lollar's Cemetery and later City Cemetery, this burial ground was located on land purchased by John Lollar in 1846. Five acres were reserved for cemetery use when Lollar sold his land to John Madison Patterson in 1849. Burials . . . — Map (db m91543) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7763 — Ordnance PlantNear Site of C.S.A.
Founded in 1862 by J.C. Short and Wm. S. N. Biscoe (both gunsmiths) and Col. Geo. Yarbrough. In 2-story brick main building, on 125 acre site, contracted to make for State of Texas 5,000 rifles for the arming of troops in the Civil War. After . . . — Map (db m91303) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Our Land - Our HeritageIn Recognition Of The Families Who Settled This Land
Our Land - Our Heritage 1894 - 1942 Dedicated to those who sacrificed their land and heritage when Camp Fannin displaced a number of families from their original homesteads. Placed in remembrance and acknowledgement of . . . — Map (db m62658) HM WM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7751 — Pine Springs Baptist Church
In 1881, E.S. Cook and Perry Ray, trustees for the Pine Springs School community, purchased nearby land for the construction of a schoolhouse. Soon after, the Pine Springs Baptist Church of Christ was organized under the direction of the Rev. Marcus . . . — Map (db m92263) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 12195 — Pleasant Retreat United Methodist Church
This church was organized as early as 1854 when a deed for 2.5 acres was issued to the board of trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. According to oral history, the congregation first met in a log cabin on the property. The structure . . . — Map (db m91309) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 12196 — Ramey House
An important example of turn-of-the-century domestic architecture, the home of Thomas Brown and Mary Josephine (Spencer) Ramey was crafted of virgin cypress and southern heart pine in 1903. The architectural style of the house is typical of the . . . — Map (db m91754) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7736 — Richard Bennett Hubbard(1832-1901)
Georgia native Richard Bennett Hubbard came to Texas in 1853 and set up a law practice in Tyler with B. T. Selman, later a state senator. Politically active, Hubbard became a leading spokesman for the Democratic Party. His early career in government . . . — Map (db m91545) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Senator Thomas Glover Pollard1895 - 1962 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
Senator Pollard served Texas as a Representative for three years and then as Senator for ten years, supporting legislation for oil and gas and the creation of Texas Tech University. — Map (db m111865) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7755 — Shamburger Cemetery
Members of the Peter Shamburger family came to this area of Texas from Mississippi in 1847. Peter and his family lived near Starrville. His son, Mathew, married Julia Ann Shockley in 1849 and settled in the Fruit community (later renamed Pine . . . — Map (db m92264) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7714 — Site of Confederate Arms Factory
Site of Confederate Arms Factory Built in 1862 by Short, Biscoe and Company A contract made in 1862 with the State of Texas to furnish 5000 guns was annulled in 1863, as needed material and labor could not be secured. The . . . — Map (db m91302) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 16639 — Smith Cemetery
In 1846, Mary M. "Polly" Long received 640 acres in this area from the State of Texas. She deeded half to her son, Richard B. Long, in 1852. He sold this tract in 1881, reserving one acre to preserve the existing cemetery, which was used as early as . . . — Map (db m91522) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7756 — Smith County
Formed from Nacogdoches County Created April 11, 1846, organized July 13, 1846, named in honor of General James Smith pioneer soldier and stateman, friend of General Sam Houston, Thomas J. Rusk and J. Pinckney Henderson Born . . . — Map (db m91277) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7757 — Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center
Soon after its establishment in 1846, Smith County became an important legal center in East Texas. The first legal proceeding to take place in the county was a district court session held in an abandoned one-room log cabin in Tyler in December 1846. . . . — Map (db m91381) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7759 — Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units
(east face) Smith County
C.S.A. Major center of Confederate activity during Civil War. Many distinguished men and military units served south. The largest ordnance plant west of the Mississippi River manufactured "Tyler . . . — Map (db m91380) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7758 — Smith County Rose Industry and the Tyler Rose Garden
A combination of sandy soil, year-round rainfall, and a long growing season make the Tyler area ideal for rose propagation. First known commercial production began here in the 1870s when industry pioneers such as G.A. McKee and Mathew Shamburger . . . — Map (db m91974) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7715 — The Connally Home
This residence was built in 1906 for prominent Tyler businessman Walter Connally. Connally’s business interests included banking, ownership of a gin equipment firm, and part ownership in a hardware company. After his death in 1918, Connally’s widow . . . — Map (db m91798) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7716 — The First County Agricultural Extension Agent
At a time of low crop production and depressed farm economy, Smith County became the birthplace of the County Agricultural Agent concept. This occurred in an historic meeting Nov. 12, 1906, in an opera house near this site. Present were Dr. . . . — Map (db m91382) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7718 — The Major John Dean House
On land bought Jan. 22, 1863, by Frances Clarenda Rice Dean (1836-76) with Confederate pay sent home from Civil War post by husband, Major John Dean (1831-1902). Using Louisiana heart pine lumber that he himself milled and seasoned, Dean had house . . . — Map (db m91837) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7749 — The Patterson Home
This structure began as a dog-trot log cabin erected before 1854 by John Lollar and later owned by pioneer doctor J.C. Moore. It was sold in 1871 to John M. Patterson (1817-94) and acquired in 1880 by his son, John P. Patterson (1847-1911). In 1882 . . . — Map (db m91292) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 15966 — Thomas Glover Pollard, Sr.(1895-1962)
Thomas G. Pollard was an attorney and legislator whose work improved the lives of East Texans. While in college, Pollard married Edna Martin, with whom he reared three children, and was elected as a State Representative (1919-21). After being . . . — Map (db m91523) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Thomas R. Bonner1838 - 1891 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
Bonner was a farmer, soldier, banker, lawyer and Speaker of the the House for the Texas Legislature. He founded the first bank in Tyler and was instrumental in building the Tyler railroad. — Map (db m105741) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 16531 — Tyler Carnegie Library
Five Tyler Women’s clubs, the First Literary Club, Bachelor Maids, Quid Nunc, Sherwood Club and Athenian Club, collectively known as the Federated Women’s Clubs of Tyler, worked several years to form a series of libraries for this growing East Texas . . . — Map (db m91471) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Tyler Carnegie LibraryBuilt in 1904 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
It served as the City's library for 75 years, until a new one was opened in 1979. It was financed by a $15,000 gift from Andrew Carnegie and by citizens who raised $2,000 to buy the land. — Map (db m105552) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Tyler Civic Theatre CenterEstablished 1949 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
The Tyler Civic Theatre Center is a historic venue for community performances. Dedicated in 1951, it is the largest continuously operating theatre "in-the-round" in the United States. — Map (db m111862) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 17351 — Tyler Commercial College
In 1894, C.L. and Noah Adair opened the Adair Normal School to provide a University-level education, but the school closed in 1896. In 1899, a charter was filed with the Secretary of State's office for Tyler Commercial College. The college used a . . . — Map (db m91469) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Tyler Commercial College1899 - 1963 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
Once considered the largest business training school in America, the college educated students in subjects ranging from business to petroleum geology and cotton classing. — Map (db m105555) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 12516 — Tyler Junior College
Tyler Junior College was established in 1926 during the formative years of the junior college movement in Texas. This institution began as an extension of the Tyler public school system with school superintendent G.O. Clough serving as its first . . . — Map (db m33549) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — Tyler Public LibrarySince 1899 — Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History
The library has served to expand the horizons and dreams of Tyler's citizens while connecting them to the cultural and historic heritage of mankind. — Map (db m105733) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7764 — Tyler Tap Railroad
To provide for shipment of locally-grown fruits, vegetables, and cotton to distant markets, a group of Tyler citizens proposed a railroad to connect the town with major rail lines nearby. The promoters included R.B. Hubbard, later governor of Texas; . . . — Map (db m91306) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7767 — Whitaker-McClendon House
Built about 1880 for attorney Harrison Moores Whitaker and his wife, Mattie, daughter of Texas Supreme Court Justice Micajah H. Bonner, this is one of the few remaining high Victorian residences in Tyler. The home was purchased by Mattie's sister, . . . — Map (db m91505) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7768 — Woman's Building
The Woman's Building Association, a branch of the Tyler Woman's Forum, was chartered in 1928 to direct the construction of this facility. When completed in 1932, it provided meeting rooms, an auditorium, and a library for the Woman's Forum and other . . . — Map (db m91542) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7769 — Wood-Verner Cemetery
The oldest known graveyard in the Dixie area, Wood-Verner cemetery is named for two families who owned land surrounding the site. The earliest marked grave is that of John Gordon, who died in 1850. Affiliated with the local Methodist church for much . . . — Map (db m33551) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 7771 — Yarbrough Building
George H. Yarbrough (1826-99) came to Tyler from Alabama in 1854, and entered into partnership with Col. Alfred Ferguson in a general mercantile enterprise. About 1859, Yarbrough built this hand-made brick structure, the first 3-story edifice in . . . — Map (db m91333) HM

74 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement