Built in 1886, The Walker House was later used as Vacaville's first general hospital from 1932 to 1946. Doctors Jenny, Stansbury, and Nurse Tillman handled maternity and minor surgery. The house was purchased by Gary R. Zadnik in 1972, and is . . . — — Map (db m113022) HM
Two structures built by Raleigh Barcar, newspaper publisher and second owner of the Vacaville Reporter. Lower floor of the two-story brick building was for businesses. At one time it was Vacaville's fire station. Upper story was for offices and club . . . — — Map (db m113020) HM
[Front of Marker:]
IN SEARCH OF THE PONY EXPRESS
Dedicated April 23, 1997
Apr 23, 1860 – Sep 8, 1861
Dave & Buff Fleming
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Vacaville . . . — — Map (db m16833) HM
Nut Tree began under a great black walnut tree as a ranch fruit stand on July 3, 1921. The founders, Edwin and Helen Power, pioneered highway merchandising and food service, creating a unique enterprise that symbolizes bountiful California. The Nut . . . — — Map (db m94545) HM
Dedicated to the Peña and Vaca families who in 1842 settled what became the Rancho Los Putos, choosing this valley for their homes.
Pause and enjoy the heritage of the hills, lake and valley which the pioneers called Laguna.
Bienvenidos . . . — — Map (db m14138) HM
This pioneer monument is dedicated to the people who brought civilization to Solano County – one of whom was Edwin Markham, the poet, who grew to manhood in this Lagoon Valley, rimmed by what he called his summer hills. Names of a few of the . . . — — Map (db m14136) HM
This is the site of Rancho Los Putos of 10 square leagues granted in 1845 by Governor Pio Pico granted to Juan Felipe Peña and Manuel Cabeza Vaca. The Peña Adobe, erected here in 1842, is still owned by the descendants of the Pena-Vaca families. The . . . — — Map (db m10821) HM
On this site once stood a two-story wooden structure built by E. F. Gillespie. It served as his general merchandise store until 1863. The Masonic Lodge was headquartered upstairs. The building was removed in 1897. — — Map (db m16838) HM
The Ulatis Book Club initiated an early effort in 1905 to obtain a Carnegie Library Building Fund Grant. This effort was taken over in 1910 by the Saturday Club, which campaigned to establish a library district under the jurisdiction of the . . . — — Map (db m16845) HM
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.,) Vacaville Lodge No. 83, re-built this structure of brick and cast-iron columns in 1889. The previous two building burned in 1877 and 1884. The earthquake of 1892 seriously damaged the front of the . . . — — Map (db m17636) HM
This famous Black Walnut tree has provided the nuts for starting over 100 walnut groves in California. It gave shade for travelers and their teams who enjoyed the Wykoff Ranch hospitality of the cool water well nearby. It is said to have been . . . — — Map (db m91457) HM
This monument is an expression of respect for the unknown pioneer ranchers of Solano County, and their families, who rest here in a common grave---. Dedicated by the City of Vacaville and Yerba Buena Chapter, E Clampus Vitus - April 27, 1974. — — Map (db m72906) HM
Kentucky native Sidney Clay Walker crossed the plains in 1850 and in 1872 settled in the Vaca Valley where he eventually owned 1,200 acres. He was an organizer of the Vacaville Water and Light Company in the 1890's and in 1896 built this brick . . . — — Map (db m17661) HM
In recognition for his continuous dedication to the preservation of western history through his world – renowned artistic endeavors: for expressing his love of the Order through the sculptured likeness of the men who have labored to preserve . . . — — Map (db m54590) HM