Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ventura, California Historical Markers

 
632 E. Thompson Boulevard Building and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 4, 2019
632 E. Thompson Boulevard Building and Marker
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 632 E. Thompson BoulevardMitchell Block Historic District
This house, built in 1904 for Earl E. Barnes, has Classic Revival elements as seen in its flared hip roof, clapboard siding, and porch columns. The stained glass doors and windows, with the Mariposa Lily Design, are an original feature. This house . . . — Map (db m131216) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 682 East Thompson Boulevard
This house is one of eight structures comprising the Mitchell Block Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1905 by William F. Sittel who purchased the property from the Mitchell brothers, . . . — Map (db m130665) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 19 — Bard Hospital
Elizabeth Bard Memorial Hospital was built in 1902 by U.S Senator Thomas R. Bard for his brother Cephas L. Bard the County's first doctor. Dr. Bard was the hospital's first patient and died there four months after the hospital opened. This . . . — Map (db m130648) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 16 — Chumash Hutash FiestaSan Miguel Chapel
The Chumash Indians used this site to celebrate their Hutash Fiesta, held after the harvest each year towards the end of September. The Hutash Fiesta coincided with the Spanish Missionary's San Miguel Day giving the historic Chapel built on the site . . . — Map (db m124617) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 48 — Dacy Fazio House
Pioneer Ventura County rancher Orville A. Wadleigh built this craftsman bungalow ca. 1910 for his daughter Dacy Wadleigh Fazio, who lived in the home until her death in 1974. The adjacent carriage house/barn of board and batten construction is . . . — Map (db m130663) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 39 — Dr. Cunane House
This structure was the office and home of Dr. Thomas E. Cunane who established his practice in Ventura in 1899. The home was built in 1884 and is one of the few remaining examples of Queen Anne cottage architecture which was popular during that . . . — Map (db m131220) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114 — El Caballo
Friar Pedro Benito Cambón—the mission’s co-founder was highly regarded for his knowledge of irrigation, agriculture and building construction—directed Chumash laborers to build this filtration building in 1792 as part of the mission’s . . . — Map (db m124925) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 86 — Erle Stanley Gardner’s Law Office
Gardner (1889-1970) patterned the office of his character Perry Mason after his own office in Suite 306 of this building. Gardner, a resident of Ventura until 1933, is cited by the Guinness Book of World Records as the #1 best selling author of all . . . — Map (db m125569) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 15 — Groene Building
Originally the Ventura Guarantee and Loan Company, built in the 1920's is significant for its decorative tile, three interior pastoral murals by Norman Kennedy and grillwork on the balcony. The ceiling is pre-cast plaster and painted to resemble . . . — Map (db m130653) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 23 — Hobson Bros. Packing Company
This is the site of the Hobson Bros. Packing Company, established in the 1870's as Ventura's first slaughterhouse. The business provided sausage and cut meat for delivery to most parts of the County. The present structure was built in 1923 and . . . — Map (db m124610) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 70 — J.A. Day House759 East Poli Street
J. A. Day, was a prominent rancher in the Saticoy area and a local grocer. In 1889, he built this Victorian home, in the "Stick-Eastlake” style, The structure contains unique carpentry work, with a profusion of wood detail in the balusters . . . — Map (db m131214) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — Jack Rose
On this site in 1947, pioneer Veutura merchant Jack Rose built what was said to be the largest and most contemporary women's apparel store on the Pacific Coast. Designed by renowned architect Arthur Froehlich, the distinctive 36,000 square foot . . . — Map (db m131255) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 85 — Lavanderia
Beneath the floor of the rear portion of the Wilson Studio and Peirano Market lies a major segment of the Mission Lavanderia. Built to serve the Mission converts, it provided washing facilities for clothing and was part of an extensive aqueduct . . . — Map (db m129361) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 847 — Old County Court House
This imposing building was designed by Albert C. Martin and built in 1912 as the Ventura County Court House. It is an outstanding example of neo-classic architecture, considered the proper style for public buildings of the early 20th century. The . . . — Map (db m124508) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 115 — Olivas Adobe
This adobe is the only early two-story adobe in the Santa Clara River Valley. A small one-story adobe, built in 1837 was enlarged in 1849 by Don Raimundo Olivas: a prosperous cattle rancher. Continuous use has preserved the adobe for public viewing. — Map (db m51032) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — Olivas Adobe1837
The original small adobe on this site was built by Don Raimundo Olivas and his son, Nicolas, in 1837. The present structure was begun in 1847, with roof beams from the Santa Paula Canyon, and tiles made from native soil. Don Raimundo lived in this . . . — Map (db m51424) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114-1 — Rancho Cañada LargaMission Aqueduct
Rancho Cañada Larga o Verde, as it was originally known, came out of lands of the San Buenaventura Mission. Following Mexican independence from Spain, Joaquina Alvarado de Moraga, whose late husband, Gabriel Moraga, was a distinguished soldier of . . . — Map (db m124924) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — San Buenaventura Mission AqueductSettling Tank
San Buenaventura Mission was an oasis of abundance. Visitors, including British Captain George Vancouver (1793) and the American California resident Alfred Robinson (early 1800s), commented on the good yield of the gardens and orchards. The nearby . . . — Map (db m124651) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 113 — San Buenaventura Mission Cross
. . . — Map (db m51031) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 52 — Sifford House
Built in 1895, this Colonial Revival home is a two-story box- shape featuring a distinctive half-circle entry onto the porch, a balcony, and a palladian window. It was occupied originally by Frank Sifford, owner of the Ventura Transfer Company, . . . — Map (db m131215) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — Site of the Mayfair Theater, 1941-2000Historic Point of Interest
This site was developed in 1941 with a 7,890 square foot, one-story structure known as the "Mayfair Theater". Architect S. Charles Lee, one of the most prolific and distinguished motion picture theater designers on the West Coast, designed the . . . — Map (db m130642) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 97 — The Arnold House
Former Ventura County Supervisor Mathew H. Arnold built this home for his wife Eliza in 1906. The Colonial Revival details include Doric porch columns, curved brackets under boxed eaves and unique detailing in front of the cottage windows. Notable . . . — Map (db m131252) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — The Flood of 1997: A Destructive Force
The low-lying Scorpion Valley has always been subject to flooding, but overgrazing by sheep increased the intensity.

One night in December 1997, over a foot of rain fell on eastern Santa Cruz Island, sending a torrent of mud and water . . . — Map (db m130657) HM

California (Ventura County), Ventura — 106 — The Hobart/Barr/Lucking Initial Residence c. 1898Registered Historical Landmark No. 106
This beautifully restored home shares an identical ownership as the contiguous Landmark No. 104, at 230 S. Ash Street, until 1957. Both homes were built by Frank and Julia Hobart and were owned by the Leonard and Clio Barr families until that year. . . . — Map (db m131447) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 104 — The Hobart/Barr/Lucking ResidenceRegistered Historical Landmark No. 104
This charming Colonial Revival residence was constructed between 1902 and 1905 and is an architecturally superlative example of the building styles characteristic of the transition from Victorian to Colonial during this time period. It is also . . . — Map (db m131445) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 24 — Ventura Theatre
Ventura joined the "movie palace era” of Hollywood with the grand opening of the Ventura Theatre on August 16, 1928. This lavishly decorated Mediterranean style theatre cost $400,000 to build, and created much excitement in our oil boom . . . — Map (db m131167) HM

26 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.