The longest continually-running melodrama in the world began with modest roots on March 28, 1936 by Julia Arnold on a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers barge that had been redesigned to resemble a riverboat and renamed the Dixie Belle.
"Gold in the . . . — — Map (db m104084) HM
One of Vicksburg and Warren County's greatest natural resources is its hardwood forests. For years, the harvesting of timber was hard work that was achieved by hard men and animals working in unison.
After trees were cut, oxen and mules were . . . — — Map (db m104128) HM
From the earliest settlers to Vicksburg, African Americans have made significant contributions to social, educational, religious, economic and political progress.
Vicksburg was home to Hiram Rhodes Revels, the first African American U. S. . . . — — Map (db m103994) HM
On a balmy Saturday afternoon in the winter of 1953, a tornado etched a path of destruction from Vicksburg's waterfront through downtown and into a northeast residential area.
The December 5th twister is to date (2006) one of only two F5 . . . — — Map (db m104086) HM
Famed musician and prolific song writer Willie Dixon was born in Vicksburg in 1915. In 1936, he moved to Chicago, taking with him an appreciation of African field songs, gospel, blues, and country music.
Over the next 50 years, Dixon created a . . . — — Map (db m104145) HM
Methodism played a formative role in the founding of Vicksburg and Warren County.
In 1799, Rev. Tobias Gibson, a circuit rider in the Mississippi Territory established the Hopewell congregation in Warren County. In 1814, Rev. Newitt Vick, a . . . — — Map (db m104127) HM
Vicksburg voters opposed secession but once the war began they supported the Confederacy, over 2500 local men joining the Southern ranks.
The first attack on Vicksburg was in the spring of 1862. The enemy was repulsed, Col. James Autry telling . . . — — Map (db m104036) HM
Because it was the lone Blakely rifled cannon in all the Vicksburg defenses, the Confederate soldiers called this 7.44-inch gun, "The Widow Blakely." During the siege it was mounted about 1 mile north of its present position. On May 22, 1863, the . . . — — Map (db m97124) HM
Probably one of the most picturesque views of Vicksburg is that of the two bridges over the Mississippi River. The first bridge was constructed in 1930 for $6,500,000 to transport vehicles and trains.
It was, at that time, the only bridge across . . . — — Map (db m104083) HM
Capt. William A. Davidson.
The right section of the company, under Lieut.
Jeff Thompson, served two 3-inch rifles in this
position from about May 21 to the end of the
defense, July 4, 1863. — — Map (db m109518) HM
Capt. Paul T. Dismukes.
The company served one 10-inch Columbiad in a position not in the park, about 266 yards southwest of this tablet, from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. — — Map (db m109494) HM
Capt. William P. Parks.
The company server one 32-pounder rifled gun in a position, not in the park, about 200 yards west of this tablet from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. — — Map (db m109495) HM
Capt. H.T. Norman
The company served one 9-inch Dahlgren gun in a position, not in the park, immediately west of the Harwood house and about 66 yards west of this tablet from May 18 to about June 29, when . . . — — Map (db m109528) HM
Lieut. G.W. Miller;
Lieut. D.M. Upton.
The company server one 8-inch Columbiad in a position, not in the park, about 200 yards west of this tablet from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. — — Map (db m109496) HM
Capt. T. N. Johnston.
A detachment of the company served two 10-inch Columbiads in a position, not in the park about 150 yards northwest of this tablet, from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. They were creditably and . . . — — Map (db m109450) HM
Capt. T.N. Johnston
A detachment of the company, under Lieut. P.R. Cousins, served one 7-inch Brooke's rifled gun in a position, not in the park, about 233 yards west of this tablet, from May 18 to June 28, 1863, when it was disabled . . . — — Map (db m109530) HM
One 42-pounder smoothbore gun was mounted in a position, not in the park, near the end of the spur known as "Devil's Backbone" and about 100 yards west of this tablet from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. . . . — — Map (db m109531) HM
U.S. Battery Benton. Acting Master J. Frank Reed.A detachment of Battery E, 1st Missouri Light Artillery under Lieut. Joseph B. Atwater and a detail of enlisted men of the 34th Iowa Infantry, all under Acting Master J. Frank Reed of the gunboat . . . — — Map (db m39567) HM
Capt. Benjamin F. Rodgers.
The battery served four James rifles in temporary positions on the investment line of its division from May 25. One section served two James rifles in this position from about June 22 to the end of the . . . — — Map (db m109364) HM
The rise of the automobile and the development of a national highway system in the 1920's and '30s coincided with the initial boom of blues, jazz, and spiritual recordings by African American artists. Songs in the African American . . . — — Map (db m97080) HM
Middle house constructed ca. 1830 by John Lane, a member of Vicksburg's founding family.
Flanking Italianate townhouses constructed ca. 1872: 901 by a niece of Jeff. Davis; 913 by Judge Upton Young. — — Map (db m109280) HM
Both former residents of Vicksburg, B. Beatrix Scott and Ida L. Jackson served as the fifth and eighth national presidents of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, 1925-1927 and 1933-1936, respectively. During her presidency, Scott helped establish . . . — — Map (db m97074) HM
Built in three stages from ca. 1830 to 1855, this Greek Revival–style mansion was originally built by J.W. Mauldin and sold to Victor Wilson in 1840. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981, Anchuca was Vicksburgs first . . . — — Map (db m103752) HM
Meaning "men of kindness," the Anshe Chesed Congregation was organized in 1841 and formally chartered by the State of Mississippi in 1862. It was a founding member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations in 1874. Anshe Chesed is the second . . . — — Map (db m50909) HM
Built mid-1830s. Home of diarist Emma Balfour, noted diarist of the Siege. Site of 1862 Christmas ball interrupted by arrival of Federal fleet. Following surrender, July 4, 1863, was HQ. of Maj.-Gen. J.B. McPherson. — — Map (db m97085) HM
Site of first African Methodist Episcopal Church (1864), and first Negro Masonic Lodge in Mississippi organized here (1875). Campbell College was organized here in 1890. Present church was built in 1912. — — Map (db m103754) HM
Known for strict discipline and demand for diligent work, the Brothers of the Sacred Heart took charge of the education of Vicksburg Catholic young men when they arrived at St. Aloysius Academy on the corner of First North and Grove streets in . . . — — Map (db m104129) HM
The C.S.S. Arkansas, an ironclad built in Yazoo City, met the Union vessels Queen of the West, Tyler and Carondelet on July 15, 1862, on the Yazoo River. Moving into the Mississippi, the Arkansas ran past thirty-nine . . . — — Map (db m103751) HM
In 1906 the Vicksburg Business League purchased nearly sixty acres of land and grading, one quarter mile east of this site, to attract a proposed National Guard rifle range. The range, which opened in 1907, included a store house, a concrete target . . . — — Map (db m103779) HM
Carr School was designed in the Tudor Gothic style by William Stanton, a well-known architect, who had designed many religious, public, commercial and residential buildings across Mississippi.
The school was built in 1924 by the E.G. Parish . . . — — Map (db m104136) HM
Dedicated To The Recipients Of The
Nation's Oldest Military Decoration
"The Purple Heart"
My stone is red for
the blood they shed.
The medal I bear
is my country's way
to show they care.
If I could be seen
by all . . . — — Map (db m109895) WM
In Memory of the men, from all states of the South, who fell in the defense of Vicksburg during a siege of 47 days - May 18 to July 3, 1863. A defense unsurpassed in the annals of war for heroism, endurance of devotion, and . . . — — Map (db m104277) WM
Prior to the construction of a bridge in 1930 across the Mississippi River at Vicksburg, train cars crossed to Louisiana on "ferries for trains" called transfer boats. The inclines at Kleinstown in Vicksburg and Delta Point in Louisiana were . . . — — Map (db m103989) HM
From his headquarters in this grand mansion, Confederate General Pemberton followed the movement of enemy troops during the siege. He watched his men suffering from lack of food and the relentless Union bombardment.
After nearly seven weeks, . . . — — Map (db m81903) HM
The Vicksburg National Military Park, established by Congress on February 21, 1899, commemorates the campaign, siege, and defense of Vicksburg during the Civil War. The 1,800 acres of the park are dotted with over 1,300 monuments, making it the "art . . . — — Map (db m103991) HM
The Spanish were the first Europeans (in 1541) to discover what is today called Fort Hill, the second highest spot between Memphis and New Orleans. When the French arrived in 1682, they laid claim to the region. The Treaty of Paris in 1763 divided . . . — — Map (db m104038) HM
On January 13, 1861, the steamer A.O. Tyler, en route downriver to New Orleans, was fired on by militia sent to protect Vicksburg. The Tyler, which was later used as a U.S. timberclad gunboat, was searched and released. The firing on . . . — — Map (db m103747) HM
Fort Nogales, which was the first settlement at Vicksburg, was established by the Spaniards on this spot in 1791. In 1798, it passed from the possession of Spain to the United States and was re-named Fort McHenry. It was used as a Confederate fort . . . — — Map (db m103759) HM
Navy veteran and Alcorn College graduate Frank Crump, Jr. taught at Rosa A. Temple High School (1960-1970) and was Vo-Tech Dean at Utica Junior College. During Freedom Summer in 1964, he registered African American voters and was a Mississippi . . . — — Map (db m103768) HM
The Glass site originally consisted of four pyramidal mound surrounding an open plaza, with a possible fifth mound located to the north. Of these, Mound A alone remains undamaged. It stands 30 feet high and has a ramp extending south toward the . . . — — Map (db m103780) HM
On a summer day in 1894, Joseph Biedenharn, a candy merchant and soda fountain operator, had an idea that would reshape the soft drink industry. He took the popular fountain beverage, Coca-Cola, put it in bottles, and delivered it to rural areas . . . — — Map (db m103993) HM
In May 1908, Leo C. Koestler opened Koestler's Bakery on Washington at Belmont Street. The first ovens were coal fired and "Mello-Toast Bread" was delivered to households by a horse-drawn dray.
In about 1918, Leo became the first in the state to . . . — — Map (db m104079) HM
In 1942. R.G. LeTourneau, the man largely responsible for the invention and development of earth-moving machines in wide use today, built his fourth manufacturing plant in Vicksburg. He brought with him a small group of talented men including Clyde . . . — — Map (db m104077) HM
Site of Lum Mansion, Hq. of Gen. U.S. Grant, family & staff, after siege of Vicksburg, 1863. The 26 room house, built about 1820, was later destroyed by order of Capt. Cyrus B. Comstock to build fortification. — — Map (db m97076) HM
The historic African American community of Marcus Bottom was an important center of early blues, jazz, and gospel music activity. Pianist Eurreal “Little Brother” Montgomery, one of the premier blues artists of the . . . — — Map (db m103895) HM
This Greek Revival house was built in 1830 by Martha Vick, daughter of Vicksburg founder Newit Vick. Newit and his wife Elizabeth died of yellow fever in 1819, leaving Martha to help raise her eight siblings. Martha Vick died in 1851, after which . . . — — Map (db m109281) HM
The Miss Mississippi Scholarship Pageant was started in 1934 with the annual event held in different cities until 1958. In that year, Vicksburg hosted its first pageant under the leadership of Mayor Johnny Holland and the Vicksburg Jaycees, and it . . . — — Map (db m104078) HM
On April 21, 1875, the Mississippi Dental Association was organized in Vicksburg at the office of Dr. J.B. Askew and Dr. J.D. Miles on Washington Street. Dr. J.D. Miles became its first president. — — Map (db m75627) HM
Built ca. 1835. Military headquarters of Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton, who commanded the Confederate forces during the siege of Vicksburg. Here on July 3, 1863, the decision was made to surrender the city. — — Map (db m81879) HM
Built 1834. Housed Vicksburg branch, Planters Bank of Mississippi until 1842. Occupied by officers of 28th Louisiana Reg. during Vicksburg siege.
Acquired by Vicksburg Council of Garden Clubs, Inc., 1956. — — Map (db m98350) HM
The Vicksburg-Warren County area has a long prehistoric heritage. There is evidence of prehistoric Native Americans in this area as early as 2000 B. C. These early cultures were from the Poverty Point Period and were followed by the Baytown Period . . . — — Map (db m104039) HM
When William McKinley, the 25th president of the United States (1897-1901), visited Vicksburg on May 1, 1901, cotton was “king” in Vicksburg and Warren County, as is evidenced by this arch of cotton bales (each weighing about 450 pounds) . . . — — Map (db m104143) HM
This monument marks the site where Prince Hall
Masonry in Mississippi was founded by
Thomas W. Stringer in 1867
Erected September 22, 1985 by
M.W. Stringer Grand Lodge, F.& A.M.
Prince Hall Affiliation
Edgar Bridges, Sr. Grand . . . — — Map (db m104427) HM
In 1959, Rosa A. Temple High School, named in honor of a beloved long-time school teacher, was built for African Americans and the old school, J. G. H. Bowman High, formerly known as Magnolia Avenue (1924) was closed.
Mr. O. W. Sanders served as . . . — — Map (db m104081) HM
The Sisters of Mercy have contributed to the health, education, and spiritual well-being of the residents of Vicksburg since the arrival of six nuns in 1860.
The Cobb House (c. 1830) became their first home and a school for 70 students. During . . . — — Map (db m103995) HM
Love and Compassion
In 1878 the Sisters of Mercy took over the local hospital during a yellow fever epidemic. The hospital was named "Mercy Hospital" and the Catholic nuns served for over 100 years.
Cedar Hill . . . — — Map (db m109519) HM
The first telephone exchange in Mississippi was installed in Vicksburg, January 10, 1881, at 102 ½ North Washington Street, by the Louisiana Telephone Company, a predecessor of South Central Bell. — — Map (db m51183) HM
On November 12, 1902, the Washington Post reported that President Theodore Roosevelt was headed to Smedes, Mississippi, 25 miles north of Vicksburg, for a 4-day bear hunt. The article said the president "did not anticipate the pleasure of killing a . . . — — Map (db m105436) HM
This site is the second Jewish cemetery in Vicksburg. The exact location of the first cemetery has not been determined. The first burial here was that of Meyer Meyer on May 16, 1865. Four rabbis who served this congregation have their final resting . . . — — Map (db m50910) HM
On February 2, 1863, the U.S.S. Queen of the West, a converted ram, attacked the C.S.S. Vicksburg, then lying at the city's landing. Almost completely destroyed in the action, the Vicksburg's engines were removed and sent to . . . — — Map (db m103748) HM
One of the most storied night spots in the South, the Blue Room, which stood across the street at 602 Clay Street, was operated for more than thirty years by flamboyant owner Tom Wince. Ray Charles, Fats Domino, B. B. King, Dinah . . . — — Map (db m103897) HM
The City of Vicksburg was founded in 1819 by Newit Vick, a Methodist minister. He died of yellow fever before the town could be laid out, however, leaving that task to his son-in-law, John Lane.
Incorporated in 1825 with a population of 180, the . . . — — Map (db m104040) HM
Torrential rains in the fall of 1926 and spring of 1927 set the stage for one of our Nation's worst natural disasters. Levees held back the water until breaks occurred at Mound Landing, MS and Pendleton, AR on April 21, 1927.
Bt the time the . . . — — Map (db m104138) HM
Between 1953 and 1974 the Vicksburg-based Red Tops entertained legions of dancers with their distinctive mix of blues, jazz, and pop. Under the strict direction of drummer and manager Walter Osborne, the group developed a devoted . . . — — Map (db m103896) HM
On a February day in 1861 as Jefferson and Varina Davis were pruning roses on the lawn at Brierfield, their home south of Vicksburg, a messenger arrived informing Davis that he had been elected president of the Confederate States of America.
Mrs. . . . — — Map (db m104037) HM
On December 12, 1862, on the Yazoo River, a Confederate torpedo tore open Cairo's bow. The Union gunboat sank in 12 minutes. Cairo became the first armored warship sunk by an electrically detonated mine.
The torpedo which sank Cairo . . . — — Map (db m89283) HM
The largest and most powerful sternwheel towboat ever launched (318 feet long, 61 feet wide), the steamer Sprague, was constructed in 1901 by the Dubuque Boat and Boiler Works in Iowa for the Monongehela River Consolidated Coal and Coke . . . — — Map (db m104134) HM
On April 24, 1865, the Sultana left Vicksburg with over 2,300 Union soldiers aboard, many of whom were former prisoners of war. Some 200 civilians were also on board, despite a legal limit of 376 people. Due to a faulty boiler, the . . . — — Map (db m103749) HM
The Sultana, a side-wheel steamboat built in Cincinnati in 1863, was 260' long and was designed to carry only 376 people along with its cargo.
On April 24, 1865, the Sultana docked in Vicksburg to pick up Union soldiers recently released from . . . — — Map (db m103996) HM
Vicksburg's first Garden Club was founded by Hester Craig Flowers in 1931 to "further the interest in home flower gardens and general beautification of the city."
By 1943, membership had grown to a point that the members were divided into twelve . . . — — Map (db m104125) HM
Homesite of "Father of Methodism" in Mississippi. Sent, 1799 to Mississippi Territory as missionary, he founded many of its early churches. He is buried on Crawford Street Church lawn. — — Map (db m89738) HM
The Cairo is the sole survivor of the fleet of river gunboats built by the Union during the Civil War with the object of controlling the lower Mississippi River. Designed by Samuel Pook and built by James B. Eads, the 175-foot ironclad . . . — — Map (db m35953) HM
Beginning on May 16, 1863, Gen. U.S. Grant held city under siege, cutting off all supplies & driving citizens to caves to escape shells. C.S.A. Gen. John C. Pemberton finally surrendered July 4. — — Map (db m39572) HM
The river determined the location of Vicksburg to be on the hills above the Mississippi, safe from floods. The river was the highway of Mid-America, the lifeblood of the town and a haven for flatboats, barges, snag boats, dredges, steamboats and . . . — — Map (db m103987) HM
Vicksburg's first floodwall, built to keep annual spring flood waters from disrupting commercial activity along Levee Street, was completed in 1924. It was financed on a shared basis agreement between the City of Vicksburg, the Yazoo and Mississippi . . . — — Map (db m104062) HM
Lest We Forget
Here are recorded the names of
Mississippians from Warren County who
gave their lives in order that we,
trusting in God, shall not fear the
power of adversaries.
Grant unto them, O . . . — — Map (db m109891) WM
Washington Street became the commercial center of Vicksburg in 1839 when a fire destroyed the downtown area on Main Street. This scene, c.1912 shows the 1400 block looking north toward the Yazoo Canal. In the early 20th century, Vicksburg was the . . . — — Map (db m103988) HM
Willie Dixon, often called “the poet laureate of the blues,” was born in Vicksburg on July 1, 1915. As a songwriter, producer, arranger, and bass player, Dixon shaped the sound of Chicago blues in the 1950s and '60s with . . . — — Map (db m69778) HM