Site of print shop where
Elihu Stout (1782 - 1860),
Past Grand Master of Masons
in Indiana, established
Indiana Territory's first
newspaper, summer 1804.
Originally The Indiana Gazette,
it was renamed The Western Sun
July 4, 1807. — — Map (db m23277) HM
Built 1803 - 1804
William Henry Harrison
Governor Indiana Territory 1800 - 1812
President of the United States 1840
Mansion owned and restored by
Francis Vigo Chapter
Daughters of the . . . — — Map (db m23255) HM
The great Shawnee leader lives on as a symbol of Native pride and pan-Indian identity. In the years 1810 and 1811 Tecumseh defended the rights of his people in meetings in Vincennes with William Henry Harrison, Governor of the Indiana Territory. . . . — — Map (db m61831) HM
At historic Vincennes the first Lodge of Freemasons in the present State of Indiana was established, 1809, by the Grand Lodge of Kentucky. Since 1818 it has worked under Indiana charter as Vincennes Lodge No. 1. — — Map (db m61836) HM
Abner Turner Ellis, a Borough President, Probate
Judge, and State Senator, promoted the Charter of
Ohio & Miss. R. R. (later a part of B & O) and was
its first president. His stately home was built by John Moore about 1838.
Abraham Lincoln . . . — — Map (db m23286) HM
Built in 1787 by Major John F. Hamtramck under command of General Josiah Harmar. United States Army's most western outpost for several years. Named for General Henry Knox, first Secretary of War. — — Map (db m23253) HM
Fort Sackville was constructed by the British during the Revolutionary War on the site now occupied by the Clark Memorial. Early in that conflict, the Redcoats dominated the frontier from posts north of the Ohio River by sending their Indian . . . — — Map (db m61814) HM
1917 - Knox County - 1919
William Clayton Abraham Forrest A. Alton Noble Clarence Baker Chauncy W. Barr John Raymond Barr Andrew Jackson Bennett Lawrence W. Bouchie Rex R. Boyer Ellis P. Cannon James . . . — — Map (db m23353) WM
On July 4, 1800, the western part of the
Northwest Territory became the Indiana Territory.
It covered land that would eventually be included
in the present states of Indiana, Illinois, Michigan,
Wisconsin, and Minnesota.
Vincennes, on the . . . — — Map (db m23266) HM
(at top of bell)
D.O.M. Ad Laud et Glor Domini Nostri et Redepmtoris Jesu Christi Hanc Mariam Annam R.R. D.D. et in Chr Pater Simon G. Brute Qui Primus Vincennopolitanan Sedem Episcopus Tenuis Vovebat Dabat et Consecrabat An Rep Sal MDCCCXXXIX . . . — — Map (db m61816) HM
Spanish American War, World War I, World War II,
Korean War, Vietnam War, Desert Storm
Following the American Civil War, the United States emergence on the World scene was profound, if not inevitable.
The citizens of Knox County have been . . . — — Map (db m23497) WM
( Upper Left Section )
Welcome to the Knox County Veterans Memorial Park. The monuments that stand before you are dedicated to the memory of all the military veterans from Knox County. Most prominent is the “Soldiers and Sailors . . . — — Map (db m23581) HM
Born circa 1801, Clark, a slave, was purchased in Kentucky in 1814 by B. J. Harrison, brought to Vincennes in 1815, and indentured as his servant. In 1816, G.W. Johnston purchased her indenture for 20 years. In 1821, Clark and . . . — — Map (db m23219) HM
The larger millstone is made from French Buhr cut into wedge-shaped pieces and bound together by a heavy metal loop. A “stand” is made of two similar stones, the “upper stone” rotating on the “nether stone” to . . . — — Map (db m23275) HM
Site of first Courthouse in Indiana Territory -
1813 to about 1834. Was starting point in 1821
for survey of Indiana - Illinois boundary.
Present structure, probably built in 1850's,
became home of Hon. Wm. E. Niblack, Congressman,
Indiana . . . — — Map (db m23278) HM
Home of French fur trader Michel Brouillet (1774-1838). French Creole cottage (built circa 1806) is typical of "posts-on-sill" construction technique used by French settlers in Mississippi Valley during eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. . . . — — Map (db m23252) HM
Through the Patriotism of Charles Gratiot
in furnishing material aid, Colonel George Rogers Clark was enabled to keep his forces intact and
thus to recapture Fort Sackville in 1779.
Erected in grateful memory by the
Huguenot Societies of the . . . — — Map (db m23305) HM
Indian and pioneer trail from Anthonys Ferry (Henderson, Ky.) on Ohio River to Vincennes. Connected with road to Nashville and there with Natchez Trace. Served Illinois trails, north and west, at Vincennes. — — Map (db m99122) HM
First resident Presbyterian minister in Indiana Territory, 1808. Headed the first school under the authority of the board of trustees of Vincennes University (a grammar school), 1811-1815. Served as member of board of trustees of Vincennes . . . — — Map (db m48966) HM
Two blocks South of this marker
on March 6, 1814, was born
Sarah Knox Taylor
Capt. And Mrs. Zachary Taylor
Miss Taylor married Lieut. Jefferson Davis
at Louisville, Kentucky on June 17, 1835
and died in West Feliciana . . . — — Map (db m23263) HM
Captured by Col. Geo. Rogers Clark from the British, Feb. 25, 1779. Resulting in the U.S. acquiring the Great Northwest Territory embracing the states of Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. — — Map (db m61812) HM WM
Site of house occupied as headquarters of
Colonel George Rogers Clark before capturing
Fort Sackville from the British February 25, 1779.
It was a private house facing the Fort.
Later Colonel Henry Hamilton, British Commander
of the . . . — — Map (db m23304) HM
The second State Bank, chartered in 1834,
was a successful and stable venture in
uncertain times. John Ewing of Vincennes
was a leader in its creation.
This branch was built by John Moore
by 1838, saved by the Francis Vigo Chapter,
DAR, . . . — — Map (db m23282) HM
Built about 1830 by Samuel Judah, distinguished
pioneer lawyer who won the famous land grant case
for Vincennes University in the U. S. Supreme Court.
Occupied from 1848 to 1865 by Dr. John Isidore Baty,
builder of the three story addition. . . . — — Map (db m23306) HM
In 1805 Transylvania Presbytery, Kentucky on petition of pioneer settlers in Knox County sent Rev. Thomas Cleland, who thus became the first Presbyterian minister to preach in Vincennes. The service was held at the Council House in the Indian . . . — — Map (db m61838) HM
George Rogers Clark
and the Frontiersmen
of the American Revolution
The Conquest of the West
[around memorial frieze]
The site of
Captured from the British
by George Rogers Clark
and his Heroic Comrades . . . — — Map (db m61808) HM WM
Built here, 1858 - - operated until 1919.
Julia Marlowe made her debut in this famous
theater and such great actors as Edwin Booth,
Maude Adams, Joseph Jefferson, John Drew, and
The Barrymores played to large and appreciative
audiences. — — Map (db m23283) HM
Contains the graves (mostly unmarked) of some 4,000 inhabitants of early Vincennes, including soldiers and patriots of the American Revolution who helped Colonel George Rogers Clark to capture nearby Fort Sackville in 1779. The cemetery marks the . . . — — Map (db m2554) HM
Commemorating the patriotism, devotion to duty, valor, energy and seamanship of those Americans who served in the ships
Each a man-of-war, these ships of the United States Navy carried out missions which expanded . . . — — Map (db m61817) HM WM
So named in honor of French Canadian, Francois-Marie Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes (1700–1736).
In 1732, he built a fort here to protect the claims of France in the New World.
In 1736, Vincennes was burned at the stake by Chickasaw Indians . . . — — Map (db m2619) HM
Designed by local architect John B. Bayard in Collegiate Gothic Style; built 1917-1918. Dedicated 1919, with 13, 518 books and 4, 207 registered borrowers, as Vincennes Public Library; Public Library located in City Hall since . . . — — Map (db m23254) HM
After taking Kaskaskia on July 5, 1778, George Roges Clark, Acting under Virginia authority, sent Father Pierre Gibault, as his envoy, to Vincennes. Gibault convinced the villagers there to take an oath of loyalty to the Americans. In early August, . . . — — Map (db m2551) HM
Marker Plaque Vincennes University was founded in 1801 as Jefferson Academy by William Henry Harrison, Governor of the Indiana Territory and Chartered by the Indiana Territorial Legislature in 1806. The columns of this gateway served as the . . . — — Map (db m23276) HM
Harrison became Governor of Indiana Territory 1800; he administered government of District of Louisiana 1804-1805. In Vincennes, he served as a contact during the expedition; surviving records document his support and his involvement in decisions . . . — — Map (db m23251) HM