Hanging from this pole is a 2/3 size replica of the actual Brush Carbon Arc light. Four of these were attached to the top of the Wabash County Courthouse in 1880, thus making Wabash the first electrically lighted city in the world. — — Map (db m76494) HM
Meals for the treaty participants were prepared in the cooks cabin.
While the exact number of participants is not known, it is documented that the Potawatomie and Miami tribes camped on both sides of the Wabash River, numbered in the several . . . — — Map (db m76569) HM
The Council House was used by the commissioners during negotiations and preparation of the Treaty of 1826. Following the completion of the treaty signing, it continued to play an important role in the development of the area.
In the spring of . . . — — Map (db m76574) HM
On March 31, 1880, officials of Wabash began experimenting with Charles F. Brushs carbon-arc lights. Four 3,000 candlepower lamps were placed atop the courthouse and used to illuminate the town until September, 1888. — — Map (db m1457) HM
The treaty between the United States and the Miami Tribe of Indians was held near this spring October 23, 1826 U.S. Commissioners Louis Cass, James B. Ray and John Tipton.
Erected Indiana Centennial Year 1916 — — Map (db m76495) HM
Paradise Spring Historical Park is rich with history. In 1826, United States representatives met on this site with the chiefs of the Miami and the Potowatami tribes. A treaty was signed allowing for white settlement of land in northern Indiana and . . . — — Map (db m76548) HM
At treaty ground (two blocks east) in October, 1826, Potawatomi and Miami tribes signed treaties with the United States ceding lands north of the Wabash River. The treaties included provisions for land for a canal and the Michigan Road. — — Map (db m1458) HM
During treaty negotiations, military guards stood around-the-clock watch. Captain Kintner was the officer in charge of these men.
Guards were provided shelter when in camp, sufficient ration of beef and bread or flour with salt, and one gill . . . — — Map (db m76576) HM
Born in Jefferson County, Kentucky, Governor Ray studied law at the University of Cincinnati and established a practice in Brookville, Indiana.
Prior to being elected governor, he served one term as a state representative and two terms as a state . . . — — Map (db m76580) HM
Born in New Hampshire and a veteran of the War of 1812, Governor Cass was a skilled maker of treaties.
In 1831 President Andrew Jackson appointed Governor Cass Secretary of War. He later served as Minister to France.
In the mid 1840's, he was . . . — — Map (db m76578) HM
A veteran of the Battle of Tippecanoe, General Tipton was apointed to the Indian Agency located in Ft. Wayne Indiana, by President Monroe.
John Quincy Adams appointed Major General Tipton Indian Commissionder to oversee treaties with the Indians . . . — — Map (db m76577) HM
The first settlements in Wabash County soon followed the Treaty of 1826. The treaty grounds became known as the headquarters for new comers.
The Samueal McClure, Sr. family moved to the treaty grounds in January, 1827. They later built a log . . . — — Map (db m76566) HM
The original treaty camp had four storage cabins. In addition to storing goods and supplies for the camp, they also stored items for Indian trade.
Traders were instructed to arrive with an attractive selection of items to be used in the treaty . . . — — Map (db m76575) HM
In 1872, the Cincinnati, Wabash, and Michigan Railroad was built through Wabash County. It later became the Cleveland, Chicago, Cincinnati, and St. Louis Railroad, also known as the Big Four.
The Big Four maintenance shops were constructed on this . . . — — Map (db m76567) HM
The Wabash River begins as a small stream near Fort Recovery, Ohio and passes through 16 Indiana counties on its 500 mile journey to its confluence with the Ohio River.
The river was named Wah-Bah-Shi -Ka, meaning “water over the white . . . — — Map (db m76549) HM
In 1896, with the aid of dynamite, mules, and strong backs, railroad workers began cutting through the ancient Wabash Reef thus creating the “Big Four Cut.”
The Wabash Reef, located northeast of the park and visible from where you are . . . — — Map (db m76547) HM
Thomas F. Payne
The New Bradley Building
Thomas Payne constructed this historic building in 1868 for a woodworking and furniture shop that was without equal within 100 miles. In 1920, the Bradley family, with architect . . . — — Map (db m76493) HM
In the early 1820's, the northern half of Indiana had very little white settlement.
The Miami and Potawatomie Indians had suffered serious defeats at the hands of General Anthony Wayne along the Maumee River (1794) and William Henry Harrison at . . . — — Map (db m76568) HM
( Top - Center Panel )
Forever Honoring our heroes
who gave their lives - - and
Dedicated to the men and women
of Wabash County who served
their Country in armed conflict
Erected by the . . . — — Map (db m44342) WM